Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Blu Ray and DVDs - R.I.P? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=45056)

AC5682 03-22-16 12:59 PM

Blu Ray and DVDs - R.I.P?

Do you think DVDs and Blu Rays will 'die of death' soon? What I have noticed is that when I go travelling, loads of people do not have any portable DVD players anymore, they tend to use their tablets or even phones.

Are there any good websites out there where you can watch free or pay per view films - like Netflix or Amazon Prime?

honeykid 03-22-16 01:22 PM

Re: Blu Ray and DVDs - R.I.P?

I don't know how soon is soon and I don't know if they'll die out completely for a long time, but I do know people with quite large dvd/bluray/cd collections which just gather dust as they stream or download everything now.

I think it'll come down to how often people are exposed to physical media. People quite like having an actual thing that they own and can hold, but if you don't really have that then you aren't going to miss or feel it has value.

AC5682 03-22-16 03:06 PM

Yeah I know what you mean about actually physically owning something. But for me personally, I do not like having to carry on Blu Rays or DVDs AND a portable player when you could just use your tablet :)

honeykid 03-22-16 04:42 PM

For travel I think they're done, yes.

Derek Vinyard 03-22-16 04:46 PM

I buy dvd and blu-ray regularly and I don't have netflix and any of these kinds of things...

I watch movie in streaming and if I love it I normally buy it in the next few days.

honeykid 03-22-16 04:48 PM

I think that's how it's going to be for a while now, Derek.

The Gunslinger45 03-23-16 07:27 AM

Even with Netflix and Hulu I still buy Blu-Rays and DVDs. I prefer having a hard copy to stream. Even if I watch something via Netflix or Hulu, if I REALLY like it I will probably buy it on DVD or Blu Ray if I can.

AC5682 03-23-16 11:16 AM

Yeah agreed with you folks. Plus you do not really get any extras on streaming services, like the Making Of or deleted scenes etc. What are your favourite extras you get on DVDs then?

Citizen Rules 03-23-16 05:41 PM

I don't buy DVDs or BluRay as I rarely have the desire to watch a film over and over. But I do like have DVDs to watch as the quality is usually much better than streaming.

What are your favourite extras you get on DVDs then?
For new movies, nothing. I could care less about outakes with actors on string in front of a green screen....But for older classic movies, there is a wealth of extras included on DVDs and BluRay.

How in the heck does anybody watch a movie on a phone? Good grief if a theater is the ultimate impact then a tiny phone screen is the worst of worst. A Tablet would make sense, with a bigger screen...Me I prefer a B I G screen TV.:)

gbgoodies 03-23-16 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1482537)
How in the heck does anybody watch a movie on a phone? Good grief if a theater is the ultimate impact then a tiny phone screen is the worst of worst. A Tablet would make sense, with a bigger screen...Me I prefer a B I G screen TV.:)

I don't understand watching movies on phones either. I watch most movies on a 26-inch TV, and that's not even big enough.

Citizen Rules 03-23-16 05:45 PM

Set closer;)

The Gunslinger45 03-23-16 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1482539)
I don't understand watching movies on phones either. I watch most movies on a 26-inch TV, and that's not even big enough.
It is a last resort.

gbgoodies 03-23-16 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1482548)
It is a last resort.

I certainly hope so. I'd hate to think that would be your first choice. :skeptical:

False Writer 03-23-16 11:37 PM

I'm still buying them.

gbgoodies 03-23-16 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1482784)
I'm still buying them.

I'm still buying them too. I usually wait for garage sales or Black Friday to get the best prices, but I'm currently looking to see if anyone's going to have any cool bonus with the new Star Wars movie when it's released. I can't wait any longer for this movie.

False Writer 03-23-16 11:46 PM

I usually go to Best Buy for new movies. Usually 20 bucks for the newest Blu Ray, which ain't bad at all.

Omnizoa 03-24-16 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by AC5682 (Post 1481745)
Do you think DVDs and Blu Rays will 'die of death' soon?
No.

DalekbusterScreen5 03-24-16 04:33 PM

If Blurays or DVDs die, then I don't want to live on this planet anymore. I'll move to Mars and take my Bluray and DVD discs with me.

Yasashii 05-03-16 08:06 PM

People are having the same argument on music forums as we speak, only the argument is on CD's vs. digital downloads and streaming of music.

It all comes down to one simple thing: bitrate. An average person won't be able to tell the difference between CD quality of music and a 320kbps MP3. Audiophiles, however, will.

An average person won't be able to tell the difference between a proper blu-ray disc and a downloaded movie of the same resolutions. Some of us will. Especially those of us with 4k and 8k displays who need to upscale the video.

Here's the thing: A fully-fledged music album in 320kbps MP3 will take about 200MBs while a CD takes 700MBs. A downloaded 1080p movie will take between 700MB to 4.3GB depending on how much you're willing to wait for it to download (there are bigger files with even better quality but those are rare compared to the small ones). A proper blu-ray carries 25GB (single layer) or even 50GB (dual layer) of data.

All of the tremendous differences in file sizes are due to bitrate, which translates directly into quality (if you leave out bit depth, resolution and such). There's always gonna be a group of people who will go after superior quality.

Still, it all depends on whether or not the disc technology can keep up. Right now it goes up to 50GB per disc. Internet speeds around the world are rising rapidly. If they, at some point, find themselves unable to keep rising the amount of data that fits onto a disc by a huge factor, they will have lost to the internet entirely. That remains to be seen, though. Some say that nothing will come after the blu-ray. I'm sure curious if they are right.

Sexy Celebrity 05-03-16 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know -- but wanna know what is dead for sure?

Prince.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1462316912