Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Best Picture Hall of Fame Part 2 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60850)

Sarge 03-12-20 12:54 PM

https://static.rogerebert.com/upload...given-2017.jpg

Unforgiven (1992)

This is the third time that I have watched this film. The previous two times that I have watched it, I found myself enjoying it, but feeling that it was just slightly lacking in something.
It was the same story on the third viewing.

It's a great story of an old gunslinger with a questionable past, that has found himself somewhere near rock bottom, and he is presented with an opportunity to change that by a mouthy young kid. He sets out in pursuit of that opportunity, but that will mean that he has to return to the life that he had previously turned his back on.
The film is beautifully shot and well cast, but I feel that too much time is focused on areas that don't matter. For me there is too much needless dialogue taking place on horseback or around a camp fire etc, that leads to any of the more action dense scenes feeling a bit rushed, particularly the culmination of the film. I also think that something is lost in the fact that there is two main story lines. I thinkit would be better if the focus was on catching those that Eastwood and his squad are pursuing or the scoundrel of a sheriff. Having both just seems to dlute it for me.

What I do like a lot is the step away from cliche. Munny is a complex character that hasn't been a pleasant character. The film doesn't seek to justify this or even to redeem him, so much as you can't fully buy into his noble aim. He isn't trying to earn redemption for the wrong that he has done, he just wants money. We don't see a likeable man under a tough, troubled exterior. He simply isn't that nice, which is refreshing, but it does make rooting for him fully a bit more of a leap, although Little Bill (Hackman) makes that a bit easier for the viewer. As I say, I found it refreshing to have a western that doesn't simply present us with the good guys to cheer for against the nasty bad guys, more so, it presents us with a choice of who is the least bad.

Overall, I found it complex and raw, yet it could be so much more. (unintentional rhyming)

Sarge 03-13-20 01:00 PM

https://cdn.onebauer.media/one/empir...ill&format=jpg

The Departed
(2006)

There are only three films that I have seen that I rate more highly than Scorcese's offering of 'The Departed, and given that it is my nomination, this is a fairly straight forward review for me.

Beautifully directed, superb performances from an outstanding cast and a story that is full of twists and turns and a rising tension from the first scene to the very last.
I know that it is essentially a remake of 'Internal affairs' and although I enjoyed the original, I find this to be the far superior film.

That in large part is due to the acting. Di Caprio and Damon are superb (especially Di Caprio) but Nicholson as Castello is the headliner in this movie. Whitaker won the Oscar for his portrayal of Idi Amin, and I have no qualms about that as he was superb, but the fact that Nicholson wasn't nominated is frankly ridiculous or an indication of the high standard of performances in that year.
Wahlberg deserves a mention too, for his performance that did get a nomination.

The greatests thing about this film for me is the way that the tension builds throughout, There is a sense of imminent danger that flows through the duration of the film, due to the cat and mouse plot and the dangerous nature of some of the characters.

I remember actually holding my breath during certain parts of the film when I first watched it at the cinema.

A stunning film that I never tire of watching.

Wyldesyde19 03-13-20 11:04 PM

Re: Best Picture Hall of Fame Part 2

Should be able to review Braveheart and a the Departed this weekend, and then finish with Gandhi the week after.

Citizen Rules 03-13-20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2072882)
Should be able to review Braveheart and a the Departed this weekend, and then finish with Gandhi the week after.
Saving the best for last:D

Wyldesyde19 03-15-20 04:32 AM

Braveheart

Braveheart is an epic tale told on a grand scale that is filled with amazing scenes, bloody battles, and beautiful cinematography.
The story tells of the legend of William Wallace, who helped fight for his countries independence from England.
Wallace is played by Mel Gibson with equal parts brute force and cunning, and passion. It’s his story, and the focus is on him.
But he isn’t the only character worth watching for.
Patrick McGoohan is King Edwards, and commands the screen each time he is on it. He plays the villain well, with a permanent sneer etched across his face. His cruelty seems to know no bounds.
Brendan Gleeson and Angus McFaydan play Hamish and Robert The Bruce, both well cast and well acted. Gleeson in particular has always been a standout for me, and it confounds me he has yet to ever be nominated for an Oscar.
One thing that stood out to me through out this film was the father-son relationship and how each character deals with them.
King Edwards son is gay, and week willed. He’s frightened by his father, and show little interest in politics.
Robert the Bruce’s father is addicted with leprosy (fictional kind obviously, leprosy is always portrayed incorrectly in films for dramatic effect). His father wields strong political influence, and the two don’t see quite eye to eye in regards to Wallace. Robert seems like he is always trying to be diplomatic with both sides to please his father.
Hamish seems like he always wants to show his strength off to his father. He has a sort of rivalry, shown all too briefly, with Wallace , whom his father seems to favor.
And Wallace himself, whose father died while he was still a boy. His absence was filled by his uncle Argyle, played by Brian Cox. Cox makes the most of his limited screen time. He becomes a father figure to Wallace and teaches him everything he knows.
The battles are the high point, as they are not for the faint of heart. They are depicted as bloody and violent as they often were.
But at the heart of it all is the humanity displayed by Wallace, who just wanted peace and to start a family. He is denied both in a brutal act that forever binds his destiny.
The film isn’t intended as a history lesson. There are many inaccuracies, and some accurate elements. But above all it’s meant to entertain. And boy does it ever.

Wyldesyde19 03-16-20 03:15 AM

The Departed

Scorsese’s only Best Picture win starts off crackling with energy, as he introduced the main characters one after another within the first 20 mins. It isn’t long before we get aquatinted with Damon and DiCaprio.
Everyone knows the story here. It moves at break neck speed as double crossed and triple crosses are set up, and Scorsese weaves a labyrinthine plot effortlessly. We never are confused about anyone’s loyalties.
The acting is top notch. Nicholson, DiCaprio and Damon are all standouts. Only Alec Baldwin is weak in this.
Speaking of Nicholson, his character is overwritten, which lends itself to overacting. With dialogue like “This ain’t reality TV!” One wonders if they could have given it a once over before filming. The dialogue desperately wants to remind Everyone of it’s Boston roots.
But at the end of the day, those shortcomings do not detract from a great film. From start to finish, this is a film that Intensifies as it races towards it’s inevitable and violent ending.
No one gets away clean.

Sarge 03-19-20 08:05 AM

https://images2.minutemediacdn.com/i...?itok=UCmzG9z0

Braveheart (1995)

A film about the Scottish people and their fight for FREEEEDOM, led by an initially unlikely hero in William Wallace.

When I first watched this film I was 16 years old and I loved it. The fight scenes, the revenge drivene plot, the noble pursuit of freedom. Beautifully made and well acted, I loved it.

Every subsequent viewing since has involved me noticing a new flaw that reduces my enjoyment of the film.

Upon the second viewing a few years later after 2 years of studying British History, I came to a relaisation of just how much any story had been butchered to lose almost any semblance of truth an accuracy.
I know many don't care about that and it's fine, but I couldn't unlearn what I had learned in my studies and it provided me with a fresh lens to view the film through, whether I wanted to or not.
My biggest issue with this aspect was,if you were going to move so far away from any truth, why not just change the name? Scot Mcscotsman or Walliam Willis would have eradicated half of the issues that I have with the film. Gladaitor did this, although based in real events and taken from real stories, maximus was largely fictional and an amalgamation of many characters.
An ancestors of William Wallace come out of this pretty well, but those of Robert the Bruce, Longshanks etc not so much.
I won't go into the other innaccuracies, if you are interested, just google it.
I am quite confident that I would have similar issues with Gandhi, The Kings Speech etc should the contested accuracy of those be so comprehensive.

As I had mentioned this before and I know some of people felt differently, I endeavoured to watch the film for the purposes of entertainment, and as much as I could, remove the issue of accuracy to real life.

I did that and although it helped a lot, I still had issues with the film.
Gibsons accent. A trivial issue, but irritating none the less.
I was invested in Gibson after Murrons death, then he just became a savage, and I went back to sympathy during the death scene. Again in contrast to Maxiums in Gladiator, where I backed him throughout.

There are a few scenes that I find nonsensical.
These include:
The lifting of the kilt scene - I find that it just trivialises the tension and fear in that moment.
The romance with the Princess - Not needed and ridiculous,

There were also things that I appreciate more on each viewing:
There are some tremendous cinematographic techniques used in the film. Subtle shots an imagery that really help the film. The sword being thrown at the end with the soft bagpipe music playing, the shots of the horses hooves in slo mo in some battle scenes etc.
Murron walking through the crowd at the end was equally as powerful.

Overall, I think life has soiled my enjoyment of the film. From being English to studying teh subject matter in some depth and using the film to do that in class.
This frustrates me because as I said I loved it on first viewing.
Many people love it though and in many ways it is easy to see why.
We all have opinions though and can voice them. That's the beneft of FREEDOM!

Sarge 03-19-20 07:31 PM

Finished. List in!

Wyldesyde19 03-20-20 09:05 PM

Only Gandhi remains for me. Will finish this up either tomorrow night or Sunday sometime.

cricket 03-21-20 08:11 PM

I'm terrible with history and didn't know anything about Gandhi except that he was supposed to be a great man. I have an Indian friend and whenever she says my name, I tell her "my name is Gandhi". That's the extent of my experience with him. I've seen a lot of biopics and usually they're a big letdown. This was easily one of the best I've ever seen.

In the very beginning, I wasn't sure how this movie was going to be. I was thinking it didn't look like the time period depicted, and Ben Kingsley didn't look Indian at all. All of a sudden he did look Indian and from there it was off to the races. Kingsley was incredible in this, a stellar performance in every way. I forgot I was watching an actor. Supporting cast is very good. The movie was surprisingly upsetting at many points while dealing with India under British rule, religious battles, and the whole India/Pakistan thing. It covers a lot of ground and through it all there is Gandhi. If this was anything like reality, and I suspect that it is, he was a great man. I was truly inspired by him.

cricket 03-21-20 08:17 PM

Just started reading the other reviews of Gandhi in the thread and the first one I read, ahwell, I used a few of the same words lol. Funny thing is I can't remember ever using the word stellar by text before.

ahwell 03-21-20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2075562)
Just started reading the other reviews of Gandhi in the thread and the first one I read, ahwell, I used a few of the same words lol. Funny thing is I can't remember ever using the word stellar by text before.
Oh yeah that’s odd haha... great minds ig

Citizen Rules 03-21-20 10:35 PM

Glad to see some respect for Gandahi, too bad Cricket didn't join.

cricket 03-21-20 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2075586)
Glad to see some respect for Gandahi, too bad Cricket didn't join.
It's probably better that I didn't. As crazy as it seems with how much I loved it, I'd probably have it 6th.

Citizen Rules 03-21-20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2075592)
It's probably better that I didn't. As crazy as it seems with how much I loved it, I'd probably have it 6th.
It will come in at last place I suspect, which doesn't bug me, I didn't even vote it 1st place myself.

cricket 03-21-20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2075598)
It will come in at last place I suspect, which doesn't bug me, I didn't even vote it 1st place myself.
For me at least it's miles ahead of one movie and close to the rest.

Wyldesyde19 03-23-20 06:14 PM

Watching Gandhi now, and will write up my review and send in my ballot when finished. (Don’t wait up) 😆
I’m curious to see if my opinion has changed any since I first watched it years ago. Maybe a second viewing will enhance it, and a fresh mindset will catch what I missed the first time around.

Wyldesyde19 03-24-20 01:43 PM

Gandhi

Ben Kingsley is amazing in this film. Let’s get the obvious out of the way. It’s his film and he completely captures Gandhi. The film has a few powerful scenes, and simple but effective dialogue but I can’t help but feel like there’s something missing.
There are points where the narrative comes to close to preachiness and never completely captures me.
Maybe it’s just me. I definitely enjoyed it a little more then my first watch, but it’s still lacking. Definitely one of the weaker Best a picture wins of the 80’s, but still better then Driving Miss Daisy.

Wyldesyde19 03-24-20 01:51 PM

With that I’m all done and final ballot has already been sent. Great selection of films, guys. Very varied in terms of genre.

Wyldesyde19 03-25-20 01:58 PM

So who do we have left still?

rauldc14 03-25-20 02:49 PM

Me and Ed. Due to everything going on I will be awhile sorry.

Wyldesyde19 03-25-20 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2076839)
Me and Ed. Due to everything going on I will be awhile sorry.
No worries, Raul! Perfectly understandable.

rauldc14 03-25-20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2076856)
No worries, Raul! Perfectly understandable.
I am gonna try to get to Gandhi later this week though

edarsenal 03-25-20 05:46 PM

I have to write up a review for Unforgiven then I have King's Speech, Gandhi and American Beauty left

edarsenal 03-28-20 04:01 PM

https://francescofalconeblog.files.w...-pictures1.jpg
https://media.tenor.com/8sPZvNM87vYA...olin-firth.gif

The King's Speech

Lionel Logue: [as Albert prepares to light a cigarette] Well, please, don't do that.
King George VI: I'm sorry?
Lionel Logue: I believe sucking smoke into your lungs will... will kill you.
King George VI: My physicians said it relaxes the... the... the throat.
Lionel Logue: They're idiots.
King George VI: They've all been knighted.
Lionel Logue: [sarcastic] Makes it official, then.

Firstly, out of the 10 nominations for Best Picture of 2010 I have only two others; Inception and True Grit, both of which I do, very much enjoy, I have a feeling that The King's Speech was a worthy winner for that year.

This was a Blind Grab for me since this was a film I've been wanting to see, being very much up my alley.
A historical period piece chock full of actors I enjoy and several I d@mn right love. There is also a warm, endearing center to this film that focuses on the British royalty that were preparing to look down the barrel of the coming second world war. It involves the passing of the previous King, George V, the abdication of the throne by the first son, Edward VIII (a story all on its own) and, the second son's struggles with a stammer and the national speech he would have to do, via the radio and the speech therapist he goes to, to help him overcome his stutter.
Part of that warmth was brought about from a box, found by the speech therapist's grandson containing Lionel Logue's diary, his appointment book, notes from his speech therapy sessions with King George VI, and over 100 personal letters to Logue from the King. It was given to the director and screenwriter to flesh out the relationship between Lionel and "Bertie". Also, Rush and Firth read through them as well. Firth insisting on one line from it, that occurred following the famous speech; ("You still stammered on the 'W'." / "Well, I had to throw in a few so they knew it was me.").
This film is chock full of such little moments that Endearing is the ideal description for how I feel about this film that I was enthralled with from the very beginning to the notes before the credits rolled.

rauldc14 03-30-20 02:46 PM

Gandhi

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w780/yYHt...GtB5VbaIR6.jpg

First and foremost, it really was an excellent performance by Ben Kingsley. I don't know a whole lot about Gandhi, but I feel Kingsley really did his research to absolutely nail down the role. I wasn't as impressed with much of the rest of the cast, but obviously the movie wasn't really about them either.

The production and the time that was put into this movie was really impressive to me. The amount of film extras in this film is insane, as I think someone said before it was pretty much a record at the time. The film looked really good and had good costume design too.

That being said, I didn't enjoy it all too much as I definitely felt it's length and was at times bored with it. But I can certainly respected it, even if I may or may not ever see it again.

rauldc14 03-30-20 02:54 PM

The Departed

https://cdn.onebauer.media/one/empir...ill&format=jpg

I saw this three weeks ago, but with everything going on in the world I forgot to do a write up about it. My apologies.

I consider this one of Scorcese's better works, and I realize that I'm probably in the minority on that, but I really think it's a very well directed and put together film. The screenplay is really good and there really isn't much lacking in terms of the acting. DiCaprio, Damon, Nicholson, Wahlberg, and Farmiga all bring their A games in my opinion.

The last 30 minutes or so are just great entertainment and great scenes overall. Shocking the first time and now oh so entertaining. Glad I got to see it again.

rauldc14 04-07-20 02:36 PM

Platoon

This is one that I respect a bit more than I love. I wouldn't necessarily say I didn't like it, I think it was really well directed and I think it really conveyed a lot of thoughts on just what war can turn into: which is ugliness. The performances are all actually really good too, it's a shame Charlie Sheen couldn't continue to have success with his film career although Two and a Half Men is his masterpiece certainly. I liked seeing Whittaker and Depp in their small roles before their careers really started to take off. Really liked Dafoe too and you can obviously see that Berenger was made for that sort of role. It's a good movie, and I've watched it a fair amount of times. But Best Picture wise, I would say it's in the middle of the road as far as those go. And I got to give good points to a really good score too.

+

rauldc14 04-14-20 08:18 PM

Unforgiven

Siddon did me a favor by nominating one of my favorite films of all time. It's a film that has no flaws for me. The story of revenge is just so rewarding to watch for me. William Munny is a very intriguing character. The acting in the film is all brilliant. The shots that Eastwood uses are perfectly composed. I don't have a lot to say about the film because I am completely mesmerized by just how great of a movie it is for me. This is also one of the more iconic and well done endings in any film for me. It gets the full points from me and was a perfect way to end this HOF for me.

+

rauldc14 04-14-20 08:23 PM

I'm done sorry for being a slowpoke. Just waiting on @edarsenal

edarsenal 04-15-20 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2083206)
I'm done sorry for being a slowpoke. Just waiting on @edarsenal
Way to go, :EDIT: raul!!

I guess I'll need to get my @ss moving then lol
Give me a couple of days and I'll knock this out

edarsenal 04-15-20 05:41 PM

https://cdn.quotesgram.com/img/98/31...unforgiven.jpg

Unforgiven

In 1992, Unforgiven beat out The Crying Game, A Few Good Men, Howard's End, and Scent of a Woman. The only one I haven't seen is Howard's End, which I've always been curious to see. Against these and their excellent runs, I'm sure Unforgiven was a worthy surprise. So, I would definitely say it was a decidedly good win for Eastwood that year.

Common Knowledge Spoiler: Eastwood made his bones on several iconic spaghetti westerns back in the sixties, before taking the helm as director, into the seventies.
Bringing all of that and continuing onward with this film that has a secondary plateau of viewing pleasure: Witnessing the later years of the persona he portrayed some thirty-plus years previously. Done in pure iconic Eastwood gritty western style we've come to appreciate and, for me, f@ckin love.
The grit is represented, as in the past, with stellar talent. Two of which, Gene Hackman and Richard Harris have starred in some favorite Westerns of mine. For Hackman, Wyatt Earp and The Quick and the Dead and for Harris, A Man Called Horse which I NEED to watch just for placement in my Westerns List. Can't remember anything about the second one, Return of-- or whether I saw it or not.
Nevermind that they're some of my favorite actors, period.
And, well, Morgan Freeman is. . . f@ckin MORGAN F@CKIN FREEMAN!! Ya know?
Backing them up, as also in the past, bringing their "A-game" with them. Starting with Jaimz Woolvett (The 'Schofield Kid'); the blustering youth needing to prove something. Those moments when the fear and uncertainty slip out make for an endearing character. Not extraordinary, but an excellent season to this pot of western stew. Steeming with the "grays" of multiple layers of Western Rights & Wrongs.
Anna Winger also delivers, as she had when I first saw her in The Crow, as Delilah, the cut-up prostitute, prompting the other "girls" to put a price on the one responsible, and his buddy, since The Law not doing nuthin bout them but a fine and a "Ya all take care now,".
As does the buddy, (Rob Campbell) bringing one, of so many, Western morality quagmires that permeates this excellent Revenge/Was Done With The Life Only To Be Dragged Back In, style film. He's a decent guy doing his sincere best to abide by The Fine, bringing one of his best horses to Deliah. Adding to the multi-layered afore-mentioned quagmires when his fate in the canyon occurs.

This is part of the echelon of Eastwood Westerns without a doubt and with (for me) serious rewatchability -- which I have.

edarsenal 04-17-20 08:58 PM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CreativeTh...restricted.gif

American Beauty

ahwell 04-17-20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2083901)
fantastic review;)

Citizen Rules 04-17-20 09:20 PM

I think Ed's been sheltering in place a bit too long:D

rauldc14 04-17-20 09:53 PM

That was funny.

edarsenal 04-17-20 10:01 PM

It's the most beautiful thing I ever saw.

lol, my dumb ass hit Save instead of Preview as I started typing out my review. :rolleyes::o:D

In fact, that is pretty funny, I'll post a new reply with the finished review:

edarsenal 04-17-20 10:02 PM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CreativeTh...restricted.gif

American Beauty

In 1999, American Beauty beat out The Cider House Rules, Sixth Sense, The Insider and The Green Mile. I've only seen the beginning of The Cider House Rules and truly wish to see all of it. Somewhat remember The Insider, really love Sixth Sense and. . . I can see American Beauty as a win, though, for me, I find The Green Mile the greater film.

One could argue that perhaps it's because American Beauty detonates the truth beneath the everyday facade so many of us confine ourselves to so that the bills continually get paid and appearances are kept up. And it's a hard pill to swallow. A very necessary one, but, still,
Until, one day, simply masturbating in the shower as the highlight of one's day is no longer how you wish to merely exist. To break from, what Thoreau expressed how "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey) decides to stop being a docile man and just. . . live. While yes, it's less than a year of life, but, hey, a lot of us don't get that year - or even a day for some sad few. So, yay Lester.
I do feel sorry Annette Bening's Carolyn, who's grasping at crackling veneers and any time she attempts to let her grip relax and just be happy -- something goes sideways. Every time.
Poor girl.
Important Lesson: young ladies who stand on apartment roofs and flash traffic copters MUST remember to, later in life, to take the time out to feel the sun on - well, you know, make yourself laugh, very very loudly, doing something out of the ordinary.

There is an amusing metaphorical Hays Code going on with this film. Much like within Noir films where crime NEVER pays and anyone breaking the law, dies or goes to jail.
Instead of kowtowing to his job and meekly accept that he is expendable, Lester blackmails them for another year's full pay with benefits. Only to get caught up in his new neighbor's homophobic terror of his own sexuality resulting in the back of his head abruptly getting air-conditioned and thereby, a pulpy mess is made all over the white tile.

Mendes does nail it with some intense theraputic-like self-examinations across the board of everyone involved, including the teenagers.
I have not seen this since it first came out. Thanks @ahwell for nominating this!

Wyldesyde19 04-18-20 03:29 AM

I had to take a few minutes to compose myself. Too funny haha 😆

edarsenal 04-18-20 06:50 PM

and yet, it kinda says it all, doesn't it?

rauldc14 04-18-20 09:18 PM

Just a Gandhi review away and then results!

Citizen Rules 04-18-20 10:49 PM

Gandhi being saved for last...again. You guys are giving me a movie nom complex:D

edarsenal 04-19-20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2084183)
Gandhi being saved for last...again. You guys are giving me a movie nom complex:D
Nah, just saving the best for last, that's all :)

annnd, finding the time for how long it is lol
Which should be tonight. We've had a serious cold snap all week and I'll be doing some yard work this afternoon that I've been dying to do.

ahwell 04-19-20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2084264)
Nah, just saving the best for last, that's all :)

annnd, finding the time for how long it is lol
Which should be tonight. We've had a serious cold snap all week and I'll be doing some yard work this afternoon that I've been dying to do.
Just did some weeding myself and I have to say it was more fun than Gandhi:p

edarsenal 04-19-20 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2084270)
Just did some weeding myself and I have to say it was more fun than Gandhi:p
LOL
Got to trim the shrubs and rake.

Okay, two thirds through Gandhi, will finish it off tomorrow night. Excellent film.

rauldc14 04-20-20 08:23 AM

Depending what time you finish I may do the results

Citizen Rules 04-20-20 12:49 PM

I have a prediction for the final results...probably got it all wrong. I'll wait until Ed's sent in his ballot before posting my wild guesses:D

edarsenal 04-20-20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2084349)
Depending what time you finish I may do the results
Just finished Gandhi, quite an amazing final film of exceptional films. Should get a vote to you in an hour or two. Then a write up later this evening.
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2084386)
I have a prediction for the final results...probably got it all wrong. I'll wait until Ed's sent in his ballot before posting my wild guesses:D
Yeah, better wait, I DO have a penchant for screwing up the vote with mine lol

okay, list sent in! I would apologize for my usual tardiness but that would mean I would endeavor to stop such behavior. . . and that, as we all know, is a sinking ship lol

So, thank you all for your patience as I scramble and meander over the finish line, yet again :):):)

I'll get a write up posted this evening.

ahwell 04-20-20 06:00 PM

Ooh, Raul will you get to the results today??

rauldc14 04-20-20 06:34 PM

Yes sir! I'm thinking around 730 central time!

Citizen Rules 04-20-20 06:37 PM

So here's my predictions for the final results, guaranteed to be mostly wrong:p

1 Platoon
2 Unforgiven
3 The Departed
4 American Beauty
5 Braveheart
6 The King's Speech
7 Gandhi

I'm sure Gandhi will finish last, especially as I voted it lower on my own list. And I'd be surprised if Platoon wasn't the winner.

Wyldesyde19 04-20-20 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2084527)

1 Platoon
2 Unforgiven
3 The Departed
4 American Beauty
5 Braveheart
6 The King's Speech
7 Gandhi

I'm sure Gandhi will finish last, especially as I voted it lower on my own list. And I'd be surprised if Platoon wasn't the winner.
My prediction is very similar to yours, except flip 1 & 2.
Unforgiven takes this, I think with Platoon close behind.
Can’t wait to see the results!

rauldc14 04-20-20 08:08 PM

I'm tabulating now, which obviously wont take long

edarsenal 04-20-20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2084527)

1 Platoon
2 Unforgiven
3 The Departed
4 American Beauty
5 Braveheart
6 The King's Speech
7 Gandhi

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2084529)
My prediction is very similar to yours, except flip 1 & 2.
Unforgiven takes this, I think with Platoon close behind.
Can’t wait to see the results!
Platoon may take this, but I'm usually wrong so it might go to Unforgiven
We shall see--

rauldc14 04-20-20 08:52 PM

7th Place- Gandhi

https://images.justwatch.com/backdro...2/s1440/gandhi

14 Points (3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 7th, 7th)

rauldc14 04-20-20 08:56 PM

6th Place- The King's Speech

https://filmschoolrejects.com/wp-con...oyxqhVF-NI.jpg

19 Points (2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 6th)

Wyldesyde19 04-20-20 09:18 PM

So far no surprises here...

ahwell 04-20-20 09:36 PM

My list so far

6. The Kings Speech
7. Gandhi

rauldc14 04-20-20 09:46 PM

5th Place- American Beauty

https://allthatcinemaallows.files.wo...y-1.jpg?w=1400

23 Points (3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 4th, 7th, 7th)

rauldc14 04-20-20 09:48 PM

4th Place- The Departed

https://img.cinemablend.com/filter:s...4d.jpg?fw=1200

25 Points (1sr, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th)

ahwell 04-20-20 09:49 PM

3. American Beauty
4. The Departed
6. The Kings Speech
7. Gandhi

Surprised and sorta disappointed Braveheart placed in the top three, rooting for Unforgiven!

Siddon 04-20-20 09:57 PM

4. Departed
5. American Beauty
6. Kings Speech
7. Gandhi

Citizen Rules 04-20-20 11:09 PM

Where did Raul go?

Wyldesyde19 04-20-20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2084585)
Where did Raul go?
Keeping us in suspense.....

Citizen Rules 04-20-20 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2084586)
Keeping us in suspense.....
I worked my ass off all day waiting for the moment I could set down with a cold beer and catch up on the results....well at least I got the cold beer:)

edarsenal 04-21-20 12:38 AM

What we have here, my connoisseurs of HoFs Voting Reveals is a Countdown hybrid a la raul. He spreads out the reveals to a few days like it was a Countdown. I think it was the Japanese HoF(???) was when he did it for the first time - I rather enjoyed that!

So, we should have the fourth and third positions posted tomorrow and then, the second and the first place positions the day after that.

It does allow those of us that missed the reveal to comment and for all of us to discuss a little more on each day.

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2084558)
7th Place- Gandhi

https://images.justwatch.com/backdro...2/s1440/gandhi

14 Points (3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 7th, 7th)
I was the high ranking on this one at third place. It nearly went higher but the first and second positions were too high up on my own personal favorites. Quite the incredible film and SUCH a huge range of incredible actors and imagery.
Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2084560)
6th Place- The King's Speech

https://filmschoolrejects.com/wp-con...oyxqhVF-NI.jpg

19 Points (2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 6th)
Pretty happy with the lower end of the scale since it was a bit of a favorite niche for me. And if not for those above, it could have gone higher elsewhere. A truly delightful film with some of my top echelon favorites.
I'm VERY happy to see someone love it as much as placing it 2nd on their list. I may try to guess if no one remarks on it.
Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2084569)
5th Place- American Beauty

https://allthatcinemaallows.files.wo...y-1.jpg?w=1400

23 Points (3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 4th, 7th, 7th)
I'm one of the bottom guys on this one. Not out of dislike, just sadly, something has to be last for no other reason. We delve into the truth beneath the veneer of trying to keep up appearances as it shatters brilliantly.
Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2084571)
4th Place- The Departed

https://img.cinemablend.com/filter:s...4d.jpg?fw=1200

25 Points (1sr, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th)
Like, well, pretty much everything else in this HoF, it woulda, coulda, shoulda if not for the ones above. One of the films where I strongly feel DiCaprio defies the sh#t talk regarding his talent that he undeservingly gets. This IS a top-notch cops & gangsters flick.

My List
1)
2)
3) Gandhi (7th)
4)
5) The King's Speech (6th)
6) The Departed (4th)
7) American Beauty (5th)

Citizen Rules 04-21-20 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2084596)
Edarsenal's List
1)
2)
3) Gandhi (7th)
4)
6) The Departed (4th)
7) American Beauty (5th)
Ha, that's interesting, we both voted each other's movies higher than our own.
Citizen's List
2 The King's Speech
4 American Beauty
5 Gandhi
7 The Departed

rauldc14 04-21-20 12:29 PM

Top 3 coming! I literally fell asleep pretty much after that Departed post sorry guys

edarsenal 04-21-20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2084605)
Ha, that's interesting, we both voted each other's movies higher than our own.
Citizen's List
2 The King's Speech
4 American Beauty
5 Gandhi
7 The Departed
LOL
that's quite the switcharoo!!

Siddon 04-21-20 02:32 PM

So by my count the top three...

1 - 1/7
2 - 1/7
3 - 3/7
4 - 6/7
5 - 4/7
6 - 6/7
7 - 7/7

So that's going to be a giant bump in votes

Citizen Rules 04-21-20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2084700)
So by my count the top three...

1 - 1/7
2 - 1/7
3 - 3/7
4 - 6/7
5 - 4/7
6 - 6/7
7 - 7/7

So that's going to be a giant bump in votes
What does the numbers in the right column represent?

rauldc14 04-21-20 02:51 PM

3rd Place- Braveheart

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...TseyY&usqp=CAU

33 Points (1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 6th)

Siddon 04-21-20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2084701)
What does the numbers in the right column represent?

1(score), (score presented in the previous entrants) (total sum)

So now with Braveheart....

1 - 3/7
2 - 2/7
3 - 3/7
4 - 6/7
5 - 6/7
6 - 7/7
7 - 7/7

rauldc14 04-21-20 02:57 PM

2nd Place- Platoon

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...DztNk&usqp=CAU

39 Points (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th)

WINNER
1st Place- Unforgiven

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...7eaC1&usqp=CAU

41 Points (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th)

Wyldesyde19 04-21-20 03:09 PM

Congrats Siddon. Close call! 2 points.
My ballot, and I realize I could have been tied had I voted my own nomination first haha:

1 Unforgiven
2 Platoon
3 Braveheart
4 American Beauty
5 The Departed
6 The Kings Speech
7 Gandhi

Citizen Rules 04-21-20 03:19 PM

Unforgiven is a worthy winner, congrats. My voting list went like this:

1 Platoon
2 The King's Speech
3 Unforgiven

4 American Beauty
5 Gandhi

6 Braveheart
7 The Departed

Previously I hadn't thought much of Platoon but on this re-watch I was impressed! I loved The King's Speech when I first saw it, and still do. Unforgiven use to be a top favorite of mine, I still think it's great, but after so many rewatches it lost a little horsepower.

I appreciated the hard look at life in American Beauty this time around. I have no problem with Kevin Spacey as an actor, in fact I enjoy him in most of his movies. Gandhi was my nom and I hadn't seen it before, that's why I chose it. I enjoyed it, but there were a lot of great films here, so it earned a 5th place on my ballot.

The last two films on my ballot I didn't care for much. Years ago I thought Braveheart was the best thing around, but with each subsequent viewing the film becomes weaker for me, with what I see as Mel Gibson's self indulgences as a director. The Departed started out decent for me, but the ending was rushed and unsatisfying.

ahwell 04-21-20 03:35 PM

Congrats Siddon, and thanks raul for the great job hosting!

My list:

1. Unforgiven
2. Platoon
3. American Beauty
4. The Departed
5. Braveheart
6. The King's Speech
7. Gandhi

edarsenal 04-21-20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2084703)
3rd Place- Braveheart

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...TseyY&usqp=CAU

33 Points (1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 6th)
Had this at 2nd - I've seen this countless times and it still remains a great movie to watch any ole time.
Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2084706)
2nd Place- Platoon

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...DztNk&usqp=CAU

39 Points (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th)

WINNER
1st Place- Unforgiven

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...7eaC1&usqp=CAU

41 Points (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th)
As my number one spot, Platoon ALWAYS effects me every time I see it and this was no exception.
Unforgiven is a pretty cool surprise since I really thought Platoon was going to take it. Looks like I had it at the lowest amongst the voting and that was nothing against a great Eastwood western.

My List
1) Platoon (2nd)
2) Braveheart (3rd)
3) Gandhi (7th)
4) Unforgiven (1st)
6) The Departed (4th)
7) American Beauty (5th)[/quote]

CONGRATS @Siddon for the WIN!!!

And THANKS @rauldc14 for HOSTING!!

rauldc14 04-21-20 03:39 PM

This was a lot of fun guys. Sorry it took me so long. Glad to see Siddon nominate Unforgiven and get one of my favorite films ever a win.

Siddon 04-21-20 03:41 PM

1. Braveheart
2. Unforgiven
3. Platoon
4. American Beauty
5. The Departed
6. The Kings Speech
7. Gandhi

Everytime I see Braveheart I enjoy it more and more. The top five were so close for me. I would have nominated any one of the top three so I was really happy to see them finish that way.

Wyldesyde19 04-21-20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2084716)
This was a lot of fun guys. Sorry it took me so long. Glad to see Siddon nominate Unforgiven and get one of my favorite films ever a win.
Thank you for hosting, good sir.

rauldc14 04-21-20 03:53 PM

My list

1. Unforgiven
2. Braveheart
3. The Departed
4. American Beauty
5. Platoon
6. King's Speech
7. Gandhi

The top 3 are all in my top 100, with the top 2 in the top 25.

Citizen Rules 04-21-20 08:49 PM

This was a fun HoF...Great idea Raul:up: I'm glad you decided to do this again. I think this one even had better movies than the 1st Best Pic HoF. Good nom choices everyone!

edarsenal 04-21-20 09:42 PM

definitely some powerhouse films in regards to entertainment

rauldc14 04-21-20 09:48 PM

Top to bottom this one was more quality I would agree

edarsenal 04-21-20 11:26 PM

https://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/...n-gandhi-c.jpg

Gandhi

Gandhi: Whenever I despair, I remember that the way of truth and love has always won. There may be tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they may seem invincible, but in the end, they always fail. Think of it: always.

Here's what I know about Gandhi - in its compete, unabridged, uncensored. . . um, nugget.

A holy man that fasted for peace in India in the first half of the twentieth century.
I had, not an iota of actual, historical, or, and this was the delight for me, to be introduced to this: delightful, witty, wise beyond. . . well, it's definitely running an ongoing race with having a bull's tenacious stubbornness, very holy, beautiful, utterly f@ckin adorable man who just wants everyone to be as peaceful as he is, home spinning.

So, while, yes, as all agree, Kingsley is truly masterfully as Gandhi, I, was enchanted by the man he portrayed. And, oh my lord, his wonderful wife, Kasturba. The counted "steps" and their meanings as he instructed an English writer (Martin Sheen) was wonderful to see. And when she informs the arresting British officer that, since they are arresting her husband, then she'd be reading for him -- yeah, girl!

For all this and for what occurred throughout his adult life in India, witnessing the historical. Being introduced to this wonderous little man is why I ranked the highest (3rd).
In fact, I had a very severe wish to follow Bapu's way and put him in first place above two war films. But, well, I gots history with both of them starting from the several viewings at the cinema when they were released. So, it would be more for show than for blow and, if American Beauty has not taught us anything about that little scenario, well. . . I guess ya missed the boat when it came to Gandhi too, huh?
Ya silly, effin, fanny,

THANK YOU @Citizen Rules!!! I loved it!

In fact,

BRAVO SIR :);)

Citizen Rules 04-21-20 11:37 PM

I kinda thought that you of all the members might warm up to Gandhi.

rauldc14 04-22-20 08:30 AM

Wish I liked it more. Maybe next time

edarsenal 04-22-20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2084789)
I kinda thought that you of all the members might warm up to Gandhi.
very much so -- THANKS for nominating it!!

Citizen Rules 04-23-20 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2085081)
very much so -- THANKS for nominating it!!
I've said this before, but if one person loves my nom in an HoF, then to me that's a success. I feel like I now know more about Gandhi and the life he lead.

edarsenal 04-23-20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2085096)
I've said this before, but if one person loves my nom in an HoF, then to me that's a success. I feel like I now know more about Gandhi and the life he lead.
totally agree, on BOTH points. Especially the second since I knew ZERO about the man both historically and intimately.

Sarge 04-24-20 04:43 AM

Good stuff!