Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oscar's Best Picture 2023 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=67532)

Holden Pike 01-24-23 09:55 AM

Oscar's Best Picture 2023

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the ten nominees for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Science's top award...

All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees on Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fablemans
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

Sedai 01-24-23 09:59 AM

Re: Oscar's Best Picture 2023

As usual, I have some catching up to do before the awards. I have only seen 3 of these...

ScarletLion 01-24-23 10:00 AM

'Top Gun 2' and no 'Aftersun' :D:D:D

https://media4.giphy.com/media/QN1rUjvEmSO1a/200w.gif

pahaK 01-24-23 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2365290)
As usual, I have some catching up to do before the awards. I have only seen 3 of these...
That's two more than I have...

Allaby 01-24-23 10:04 AM

I've seen 7 of these. Everything Everywhere All At Once is my favourite of the nominees, with The Fabelmans being a close second. Avatar Way of Water would be my least favourite of the nominees that I have seen.

Yoda 01-24-23 10:30 AM

A few of these were near the top of my watchlist anyway, so this works.

Sedai 01-24-23 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2365291)

Just watched the trailer for Aftersun. Really want to see this now...

ScarletLion 01-24-23 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2365309)
Just watched the trailer for Aftersun. Really want to see this now...
It's easily the best film of the year. But I'll refrain from stinking this thread up with my awards grievances like I do every year.

Sedai 01-24-23 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2365316)
It's easily the best film of the year. But I'll refrain from stinking this thread up with my awards grievances like I do every year.
High praise. Will track it down and watch it asap. I am a sucker for any dad/daughter story these days, so I am thinking this will be quite a moving film for me.

ScarletLion 01-24-23 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2365318)
High praise. Will track it down and watch it asap. I am a sucker for any dad/daughter story these days, so I am thinking this will be quite a moving film for me.
Oh if that's the case I can't see you not loving it. I was in bits watchng it. Especially the last 30 mins. It's a film that you'd expect to come from a seasoned European director like Assayas, Ozon, Denis. Not a young Scottish girl fresh out of college making her debut film.

Allaby 01-24-23 10:53 AM

Aftersun is great and is better than at least 4 of these nominees.

mojofilter 01-24-23 11:36 AM

Let me just say that none of the movies on this list that I’ve seen blew me away. 2022 was probably the least exciting, worst year for film. I don’t understand the hype with Everything Everywhere All at Once, but I’m sure it’s going to win. The Fabelmans was just okay. Top Gun: Maverick was a fun popcorn movie but does not deserve Best Picture. Avatar 2 was good, but not a masterpiece. The rest of the films were either too boring, too slow, too confusing... what happened to the times when truly great films were coming out and winning awards? The 90’s come to mind. Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, The Silence of the Lambs, American Beauty... films that audiences and critics loved and that still hold up today. None of these movies will be remembered a few years from now. Like, seriously... who still talks about Roma, Green Book, The Shape of Water, Moonlight?

Wyldesyde19 01-24-23 11:57 AM

The Fabelmans should be the deserving winners here, but I really should see the rest. All were on my watch list regardless, so I’ll get to them all eventually.

Wyldesyde19 01-24-23 11:58 AM

Aftersun is definitely high on my watch list. I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up my favorite of the year.

donniedarko 01-24-23 12:01 PM

I've only seen Avatar, Top Gun & Banshees. All have their value but Avatar was by far my favorite & I'm shocked if another release beats it

I say this every year but I will genuinely try to watch all the nominations for picture

Holden Pike 01-24-23 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 2365381)
Avatar was by far my favorite & I'm shocked if another release beats it
You should get your shock out of the way now and not let it build up and become a potential medical issue down the line. No way in heck Avatar: The Way of Water wins Best Picture. None.

rauldc14 01-24-23 12:09 PM

I'm guessing he meant for him?

donniedarko 01-24-23 12:10 PM

Ha, meant for my personal favorite

Avatar has about the same shot as the libertarian party

rauldc14 01-24-23 12:11 PM

I've seen 6/10 so far, with Banshees or Fabelmans being my favorite thus far. Need to see Triangle, Everything, Elvis, and Women Talking.

All Quiet is easily my least favorite. Just don't get the hype at all really.

Iroquois 01-24-23 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mojofilter (Post 2365353)
what happened to the times when truly great films were coming out and winning awards? The 90’s come to mind. Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, The Silence of the Lambs, American Beauty... films that audiences and critics loved and that still hold up today. None of these movies will be remembered a few years from now. Like, seriously... who still talks about Roma, Green Book, The Shape of Water, Moonlight?
Obviously, we won't know for sure until at least 20 years have passed and we can see what has actually stood the test of time. The '90s did also give us punchlines like The English Patient and Shakespeare in Love, after all (never mind how I'd personally disagree about films like Braveheart or American Beauty being "great" films). There's also the way in which movie-going trends have changed in the past couple of decades where the most popular films are shallow blockbusters so when it comes time to actually award films for merit they have to go for these lesser-known titles that mass audiences don't care about. In any case, enough people still liked The Shape of Water and Moonlight to put them on the 2010s countdown so that's got to mean something.

mrblond 01-24-23 06:12 PM

Just finished All Quiet on the Western Front, so I've seen 6/10. Actually, one of these I stopped 30 min after the beginning, disgusted of the low quality.

MovieMeditation 01-24-23 06:13 PM

Everything but Everywhere All At Once…

urkillinmesmalls 01-24-23 06:29 PM

Only seen 4 so far. Top Gun is surprising, but not disappointing. Banshees and EEAAO are currently in a battle for my favorite of 2022. Avatar, what the hell... I mean I enjoyed it okay, but come on.

Gideon58 01-24-23 07:20 PM

I've seen six of the ten nominees but I wouldn't vote any of those six for Best Picture. I think this award could go a several different ways and don't have a clue who the winner will be.

Wyldesyde19 01-27-23 09:20 PM

This year, there will be another film about Elvis (unless it gets pushed back), mostly told from Priscilla’s point of view, titled Priscilla and directed by Sofia Coppola. Jacob Elordi is cast as Elvis.

So we could see another film about Elvis nominated for BP for this year.

Gideon58 01-28-23 03:22 PM

I did see Triangle of Sadness last week, so I've now seen 7 of the ten nominees. Don't know how Triangle got a Best Picture nomination, I found the film a total snooze fest.

Gideon58 01-28-23 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2366623)
This year, there will be another film about Elvis (unless it gets pushed back), mostly told from Priscilla’s point of view, titled Priscilla and directed by Sofia Coppola. Jacob Elordi is cast as Elvis.

So we could see another film about Elvis nominated for BP for this year.
I've been watching Elordi on Euphoria for the last month or so and I think he could make a really good Elvis.

Sedai 01-30-23 05:49 PM

Managed to get a few 2022 watches in over the weekend I watched All Quiet on the Western Front, The Fablemans, and Aftersun (not nominated in this category, but is in others).

I liked Aftersun and All Quiet on the Western Front quite a bit. I really enjoyed the first 40 minutes of The Fablemans, as the young fellow started discovering his love of cinema and began experimenting with fairly forward-thinking filming techniques etc. Alas, the film then took a nosedive into some uninteresting parental marital problems interspersed with some tired Daniel LaRusso style bullying scenes. I did have a nice chuckle at David Lynch popping up as curmudgeonly John Ford, and the final shot was a fun cinematic wink, but overall, not a great film.

Anyway, the ticks a couple more of the watch list, and honestly, several of these Best Pic noms aren't sparking much interest when I watch the trailers - I may get to them before the chat, but maybe not.

beelzebubble 01-30-23 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2365291)

Muricans love Top Gun.

sawduck 01-31-23 08:31 AM

So far my favourite has been All Quiet on the Western Front with Banshees and Everything Everywhere close behind. It's a strong year for movies

ShamaLlamaDingDong 02-01-23 09:00 AM

Sad that, the best movie of the year, imo, didnt even get a nod.

The Northman, so ill go with the Banshees of Inisherin

donniedarko 02-02-23 12:35 PM

Women Talking (Polley)

There is a certain patience curve that it takes to really divulge into this film. The context is minimal, and you're just thrown right in at the climax. At an early point, I was dreading going to the theater for this.. I love dialogue-based movies I thought. 12 Angry Men is one of my all-time favorites. I enjoyed Dinner with Andre even. Why can't I get into this?? Early, I felt like the two children asking: when will this end? Perhaps Women Talking Too Much would be a better title.

Then I looked over to my fiance & she was clearly impacted by what was being laid out. Did I really lack the empathy as a man, to get invested in the horrors going on in this tribal community??

In reality, I just needed more & the lead roles delivered. Eventually, these tropes of amish-like cult members started feeling extremely human and close. With a little more "in your face" exposure (the young Trans child & the panic attack) it becomes impossible to not feel. After all, it's an extremely brutal reality that so many people are born into. Would I end up differently than the men, if this was my upbringing? The film asks many serious questions and never tries to stand on a moral high ground. Perhaps some flaws between Ona & August would be in order, but on the outside group the imperfections, cult-influence, and pain are well demonstrated.

It's an important one to watch, especially given that the rapes are based off what happened in the Mantioba colony, Bolivia. The latter discussions are pure imagination, as is the reality in many of these settings. Ones that aren't so desolate or far from home.

https://edge.ua.edu/wp-content/uploa.../Mennonite.jpg
A true image from inside of a school in a Mannonite colony in Bolivia

donniedarko 02-10-23 12:26 PM

All Quiet on The Western Front (Berger)
https://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-con...=720%2C405&p=1

If you didn't read this book in your middle school curriculum, I'm sorry to say but your history teacher failed you. All Quiet was one of my favorite novels growing up, as it was my fathers. Its been some time since I read it, but I'm very tempted to revisit now.

The adaptation takes some liberties, as you're to expect. Some work in its favor & some maybe take away.

What's done well:
1. Showing the element of shock the young German boys felt when entering France, the death of their ignorance
2. The added political scenes- showing the primary benevolence of those back home & even the generals not in the front line. With less than 10 minutes of screen time, the "fat pig" general is as good of a villain as you can find
3. The visual brutality of war while still holding a very human lense to the situation. This is something European cinema tends to do better than American

What's Missing:
In the book you grow very attached to the fleet and the different characters hopelessly fighting in it. The film never created such an emotional attachment, and at the end they feel as two-dimensional and numerical as any other soldier killed in the field. With the exception of the Stanislaus down-fall.

Overall it's a great war film- which shows the true horrors at a level I haven't witnessed since Come and See . It's incredibly well-made and designed, & a worthy nominee for best picture.

Wyldesyde19 02-12-23 02:06 AM

Just watched Elvis, which puts me at 5/10 seen. It was good, not great.

MovieBuffering 02-12-23 03:39 AM

Seen EEAAO, Tar, Top Gun. Avatar I could careless about seeing. The original is fine but forgettable to me. Have no clue why Cameron is wanting to revisit that world. Maybe he is getting a fat check from environmentalist lobbyists to push save the earth agenda I dunnno. Triangle and Women talking I have not a clue about. Banshees I am sketch about. I know it's the same team that did In Burges I saw when I was like 20 and dumb. I remember being frustrated by it I'd have to watch again but I'm not in a rush to see either again really. Not really a war movie guy but I might give All Quiet a chance. And Fablemans I don't know what it's about but it's Spielberg so it's probably worth a glance.

Out of the 3 I have seen Top Gun was fun, I liked it better than the first. If I was born a decade earlier instead of 87 I might have a better affinity for the original but just was never my cup of tea. However I think they really nailed the sequel for what it is. But it has no shot of winning it's just on the nomination list to show they support big popcorn flicks.

EEAAO is my favorite movie this short decade so far. It's entertaining as hell. It would be all over cable in syndication if it came out in the 90s. I just watched Tar. It might be a close 2nd. It is a worth wild film with a worth wild topic it is addressing. Really beautifully shot film with an all time turn by Blanchett.

I will not be watching the Oscars because I like my life...however when I look at the results as of now I will be hoping EEAAO and Tar win everything. I maybe give All Quiet and Fablemans a chance before the ceremony and possibly Banshees but I wouldn't hold my breathe on any off them before the Oscars.

My bet is on Fablemans winning for a thanks for everything Oscar for Spielberg. Then EEAAO winning a lot of the acting awards for the diversity in their cast...at least this time I'd feel it's deserved based on merit. Be happy with Yeoh winning but Blanchett should run away with it.

Thursday Next 02-15-23 04:27 PM

I think Elvis could win this. It's likable and inoffensive (Tom Hanks' accent aside) and could well be one of those films that wins by being everyone's second place.

PHOENIX74 02-16-23 03:45 AM

I've usually seen one or two films nominated for Best Picture by the time the Awards are given out, but this year I decided I wanted to try and see them all - it's led to the point where I've seen 9/10 so far (everything but Women Talking.) It's kind of made me go Oscar crazy, and try to see everything that's being nominated. I can get a little obsessive like that. I really like most of this year's nominees - 5 of them especially :

Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Banshees of Inisherin, Triangle of Sadness, Tár and All Quiet on the Western Front are great, great movies. Normally there'd only be one like this amongst the nominees, and it's hard for me to choose the best amongst them.

The Fabelmans and Top Gun: Maverick were really good, and I appreciate them. I think The Fabelmans is just the type of film that usually wins Best Picture, and has a great chance of winning.

Avatar: The Way of Water was okay. No chance in hell of winning, and I don't know why it's here.

I have a hard time watching Baz Luhrmann films - all show and spectacle and not much underneath. I didn't like Elvis all that much.

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2372358)
I think Elvis could win this. It's likable and inoffensive (Tom Hanks' accent aside) and could well be one of those films that wins by being everyone's second place.
I'd be genuinely surprised if Elvis won (and personally I'm praying it doesn't) but like you say, with the preferential voting card anything is possible, and many Academy members might find find it the least disagreeable and most fun film of the lot.

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2371395)
My bet is on Fablemans winning for a thanks for everything Oscar for Spielberg. Then EEAAO winning a lot of the acting awards for the diversity in their cast...at least this time I'd feel it's deserved based on merit. Be happy with Yeoh winning but Blanchett should run away with it.
My bet is the same as yours. It just seems like a "Best Picture" kind of film The Fabelmans. I loved Everything Everywhere All at Once as well, and I think it's one of the favourites to win according to outside opinions - I'll be happy if it wins.

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2371393)
Just watched Elvis, which puts me at 5/10 seen. It was good, not great.
I thought it was mediocre, not good. But that's me and Baz Luhrmann.

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 2370920)
All Quiet on The Western Front (Berger)

Overall it's a great war film- which shows the true horrors at a level I haven't witnessed since Come and See . It's incredibly well-made and designed, & a worthy nominee for best picture.
I thought it was a really great film, and I've seen it twice already. Wouldn't it be funny if two different versions of All Quiet on the Western Front ended up winning Best Picture in 1930 and 2023 - I don't think it'll win though it has a chance at Best International Film.

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2366811)
I did see Triangle of Sadness last week, so I've now seen 7 of the ten nominees. Don't know how Triangle got a Best Picture nomination, I found the film a total snooze fest.
I'm continually perplexed as to your dislike of Triangle of Sadness, but obviously it was a type of film that's really not your thing. I left the cinema feeling like I'd seen one of the films of the decade and in a fist-pumping celebratory mood. I think the reason Triangle of Sadness got nominated (it has no chance of winning) was to placate nerdy Ruben Östlund anti-establishment types like me - and it worked! I'm placated!

donniedarko 02-17-23 02:17 PM

I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once the other night putting me at 6/10 so far. I certainly left the film with more positives than negatives, however I was pretty drawn out by the finale. It feels like the writers lost focus, and were changing the ending as they went. The first hour is incredibly entertaining. Yeoh and Quan were incredible in their roles, and were just amazing scene over scene. They felt to amateur and raw to be acted scene over scene. I'm actually surprised they've been in Hollywood so long... Hsu (Jane) left much to be desired on the other hand.

The film doesn't take itself too seriously, and neither should we. For me the charm comes in the little easter egg moments. The two that shine for me is the rock scene & Ellen interrupting Jane as she was heading to her car. Just to tell her that she's gotten fat.. so off-beat yet so accurate of the first-generation immigrant love language.

+

https://media0.giphy.com/media/WiCO2...d28q/giphy.gif

Harry Lime 02-17-23 06:27 PM

So far I've seen Top Gun: Maverick, The Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All at Once,Triangle of Sadness, and The Fabelmans, and The Banshees of Inisherin is my clear favourite by a big margin. I'll try and watch the other five in time for the Oscars Mofo Oscar Chat.

John W Constantine 02-17-23 06:49 PM

I watched Banshees this past weekend and really liked it. Hope it pulls an upset. I'll try to watch EEAAO this weekend

Gideon58 02-20-23 01:41 PM

Just watched All Quiet on the Western Front, so I have now seen 8 out of the 10 nominees.

donniedarko 02-20-23 02:03 PM

Finished Traingle of Sadness which puts me at 7/10 ... this is the one I was anticipating the most & I almost felt biased to love it coming in. I'm a huge Woody fan, but surprisingly he has a very minor role in this dark comedy. Nor is he needed. The film is divided into three parts—an introduction to our shallow influencer "couple", Yaya & Carl. Then my favorite sequence, The Yacht. Where never satisfied rich people do their best to enjoy a luxury get away.. until too much booze and unfortunate weather results in the demise of the ship landing a select few onto a deserted island. There are many hilarious sequences throughout, and the raw writing delivers over & over. Despite being a few generations of wealth removed from the oligarchs depicted, many little moments and banter felt very real to little anecdotes I've seen through my life. It was oddly relatable.

Dmitry- played by Zlatko Buric absolutely steals the show, his monologue on the captians speaker had me laughing till my abs hurt. This is really special film, and worthy in its place of nominees. My second favorite thus far

-

PHOENIX74 02-21-23 02:52 AM

I saw Women Talking today which means I've seen 10/10 of this year's Best Picture nominees - the first time in many, many years I've seen them all before the actual Oscars ceremony. Women Talking was okay, but it doesn't figure in my "films I hope win" category, which still consists of Triangle of Sadness, The Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All at Once, All Quiet on the Western Front and Tár.

I think I'm leaning towards favouring Everything Everywhere All at Once, which is picking up steam in everyone's 'favourite to win' estimations.

Gideon58 02-22-23 03:16 PM

Just watched Avatar The Way of Water,so I have now seen 9 of the ten nominated films and still haven't a clue as to which film is going to win this award.

Allaby 02-22-23 03:18 PM

I watched Women Talking today, so I have seen 9/10 of the nominated films. I am currently predicting Everything Everywhere All At Once to win picture (along with director and supporting actor), but if something else wins PGA and SAG ensemble I will likely change my predictions.

Holden Pike 02-22-23 03:23 PM

SAG ensemble isn't usually much of a correlator to Best Picture but yeah, PGA is a good indicator. Not DGA good, but good.

Just in the 2010s onward SAG ensembles that matched Best Picture were The King's Speech, Argo, Birdman, Spotlight, Parastie, and CODA but they missed on The Help, American Hustle, Hidden Figures, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Blank Panther, and Trial of the Chicago 7. 50/50 in the last dozen years. Not great, in and of itself.

donniedarko 02-23-23 01:12 PM

Just finished Elvis.. for some reason I've been putting this one off even though I've praised the work Luhrmann did with Great Gatsby adaptation in 2013. He was able to bring a modern touch & enthusiasm, using similar techniques here. Fun musical scenes, some modern rap songs, and lots of bright color... But I guess biopics just aren't my thing nor have I ever found the story of Elvis all that interesting. I was hoping perhaps I'd be given some additional perspective watching the film, but it was kind of just a recycle of information publically known and told. Not much of a fresh perspective. Ultimately it becomes pretty frustrating to watch him getting pulled back in, over & over & over.

I didn't really find Hanks overly compelling as that leading villain. For me it just looked like Tom Hanks in a fat suit and baldcap playing an Ashkenazi Jewish trope. Very little depth there

My least favorite of the nominees thus far

-

Mr Minio 03-01-23 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 2370920)
What's Missing:
In the book you grow very attached to the fleet and the different characters hopelessly fighting in it. The film never created such an emotional attachment, and at the end they feel as two-dimensional and numerical as any other soldier killed in the field. With the exception of the Stanislaus down-fall.
Isn't that the point, though? War is hell, there are no heroes, meaning no heroes heroes and no protagonist heroes. If anything, the movie takes too many liberties with sticking to the main hero, especially in the ending. The general idea should be that we're introduced to a bunch of people and then they die off like flies. The final attack is heart-breaking given what came before but seen alone, one could nitpick that it's a little bit too focused on the main protagonist.

seanc 03-02-23 08:24 AM

Finally saw Women Talking last night, so I have seen all the noms. Elvis is my favorite so that’s what I voted for despite it having no shot.

Weird year, in that I liked a lot of these, but nothing really slayed me this year. My favorite “movie” of the year was Irma Vep. Which I feel Assayas totally gave me permission to put on my top ten right in the show. I’m going with it.

Holden Pike 03-02-23 07:11 PM

10 Attachment(s)

Since 1967 when Mike Nichols won Best Director for The Graduate but In the Heat of the Night was named Best Picture, there have been fourteen instances where the two big awards split. Fourteen times in fifty-four years is not a lot, only 26%. However, eight of those mismatches were from 1967-2011 and just in the last ten Oscars it has happened SIX more times. Eight times over four decades then six times in the last ten. That is a huge change. Whether it is tied directly to the run-off or preferential ballot system that was employed starting in 2009 or is simply some dissolution of the auteur theory over time, it is no longer a given that the Best Picture of the year will have the Best Director.

An even stranger trend is that, discounting the first few Oscar ceremonies before the number of nominees and the format of the awards took shape, there have only been four times that a film won Best Picture without its director even being nominated…and three of them are also during this last decade. Argo won Picture while Affleck went unnominated (Ang Lee won for Life of Pi), Green Book won Picture while Peter Farrelly went unnominated (Alfonso Cuarón won for Roma), and just last year CODA won Picture while Jane Campion picked up Best Director for Power of the Dog. Driving Miss Daisy/Oliver Stone for Born on the Fourth of July is the only other instance in the modern history of the Oscars. The other three recent mismatches where the director was nominated but lost were 12 Years a Slave (Alfonso Cuarón won for Gravity), Spotlight (Alejandro González Iñárritu won for The Revenant), and Moonlight (Damien Chazelle won for La La Land).

So…how to handicap this year’s Best Picture? The five nominees who do not have a correlating Best Director nomination are Avatar: The Way of Water, Elvis, All Quiet on the Western Front, Women Talking, and Top Gun: Maverick. Is one of them poised to join Driving Miss Daisy, Argo, Green Book, and CODA? It doesn’t seem as if any of those five has the momentum to do so. Elvis seems to have nearly as many detractors as admirers, hardly anybody has seen Women Talking, and All Quiet on the Western Front would seem to have Best International Feature Film sewn up but will not join Parasite as the second foreign film to win. Avatar: The Way of Water seems a polite nod to James Cameron and justification for their having nominated the original Avatar over a decade ago (which lost to The Hurt Locker).

Top Gun: Maverick is getting a lot of credit in the industry for saving movie theatres, or at least staying their execution a bit longer. And despite being a pretty silly story on paper it was surely a crowd pleaser that worked much better than it probably had any right to. But is that enough to award it Best Picture? There have been a handful of movies to win without any acting nominations, most recently Parasite and before that Slumdog Millionaire and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King but all three did win Best Director and Maverick’s is not even nominated. Seems unlikely, a lot of history to overcome, though of the five movies without Director nominations it may have the best chance (as slim as that chance may be).

Triangle of Sadness did win the Palm d’Or at last year’s Cannes Film Festival and three Palm d’Or winners have gone on to win the Oscar for Best Picture: The Lost Weekend (1945), Marty (1955), and Parasite (2019). It ain’t gonna happen for Ruben Östlund this year, but it is always encouraging to see the Cannes champ in the mix (Amour and The Tree of Life were the previous most recent entries in the Best Picture pool before Parasite).

Todd Field is three-for-three as a director, certainly judging by how much the Oscar voters like nominating his films, including his latest Tár which got five other nominations to go with Best Picture. Bradley Cooper’s upcoming Leonard Bernstein biopic may have a better chance of actually winning next year than the tale of Fields’ fictional protegee this year, but he has very quietly become kind of a big deal.

Martin McDonagh’s rise to filmmaking stardom has been a little quicker than Todd Fields’, and with The Banshees of Inisherin he is once again within a breath of winning Best Picture. His previous flick, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, lost out to The Shape of Water. That one seemed to be an early favorite and then fade come Oscar night. Will Banshees do the inverse, seem to be an also-ran at most of the other awards shows but finish with a surprise Best Picture win?

Steven Spielberg is no stranger to the Best Picture race. Although only one of his movies has actually won Best Picture – Schindler’s List – eleven others have been nominated before this year: Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, The Color Purple, Saving Private Ryan, Munich, War Horse, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, The Post, and West Side Story. And The Fabelmans now makes a baker’s dozen. It is Spielberg’s most obviously autobiographical and personal film, and that subject matter could be the one that finally nets him a second Best Picture win after so very many nominations and films that have already been informally awarded titles like modern classics.

As detailed in the Best Director and 2023 Hollywood Guild Award threads, The Daniels are heavy favorites to win Best Director having won the Directors Guild of America’s top award over Spielberg and McDonagh. If they DO win that category, will Everything Everywhere All At Once win Best Picture, too, or will it be yet another of the recent and increasingly common splits? EEAAO also did win the PGA Award, yet another point in its column and why it is the favorite heading into Oscar night.

hell_storm2004 03-06-23 07:42 AM

I voted for the Banshees. But it just might be Everything, Everywhere All at Once. But a win for Triangle of Sadness wont surprise me.

Gideon58 03-09-23 12:06 PM

Saw Women Talking yesterday so I have now seen all 10 Best Picture nominees. Still have no clue as to which film is going to win, but if I had to say something, I would like The Banshees of Inisherin TO win, but I think Everything Everywhere All at Once is probably going to win.

Holden Pike 03-09-23 08:52 PM

https://youtu.be/BaJW2Rwg9mw

Wyldesyde19 03-09-23 09:15 PM

Women Taking is now a available on Amazon Prime, so I’ll probably get to that soon.

Harry Lime 03-10-23 12:16 PM

I've seen most here now and put in a vote for the best film of the year: The Banshees of Inisherin. But Everything Everywhere All at Once will probably win. Bleh. Didn't really care for it...except Raccacoonie! As others have mentioned it's a shame Aftersun wasn't nominated. Great film and I can't wait to see what this director does next.

rauldc14 03-10-23 03:02 PM

Seen 8/10, but not Everything or Women Talking. I fully expect Everywhere to win to continue my streak of 3 straight winners that I haven't gotten to yet.

Daniel M 03-11-23 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 2377160)
I've seen most here now and put in a vote for the best film of the year: The Banshees of Inisherin. But Everything Everywhere All at Once will probably win. Bleh. Didn't really care for it...except Raccacoonie! As others have mentioned it's a shame Aftersun wasn't nominated. Great film and I can't wait to see what this director does next.
Ditto most of this. Banshees is my favourite from the nominees, Everything Everywhere is my least favourite and I'd go further than you in saying that I really disliked it, I feel really pretentious saying this but I really struggle to see why people are so easily impressed by it, it's as if they've watched nothing unordinary before.

Aftersun was brilliant and it's a shame Mescal doesn't seem to have a chance in his category.

ApexPredator 03-12-23 06:38 PM

I've honestly had more fun on the fringe nominations than in the ones for Best Picture, such as Glass Onion, GDT's Pinocchio & RRR.

How I'd rank the Best Picture nominees that I've seen:

Tar
Women Talking

Expectations for the other 8 nominees from high to low:

Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Banshees of Inisherin
Top Gun: Maverick
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Fabelmans
Elvis
Triangle of Sadness

Holden Pike 03-13-23 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)

The momentum kept right on rolling like a rock with googly eyes off a cliff for Everything Everywhere All at Once in this universe as it won the Academy Award for Best Picture.

Holden Pike 03-13-23 02:14 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2B6ywhqQw

Holden Pike 03-13-23 02:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Mr Minio 03-13-23 04:14 AM

https://i.imgur.com/TuHfC2t.png

Holden Pike 03-13-23 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Everything Everywhere All at Once made some Oscar history. "The Big Eight Awards" are Best Picture, Best Director, the four Acting categories, and the two screenplay categories. Obviously a film can't be nominated for both screenplay awards, it is either Original or Adapted, so the most Oscars a film can win in "The Big Eight" is seven. EEAAO won six. The only one it didn't win was Best Actor, where it had no nominee. That is more than any movie in history in those categories.

EEAAO won seven total, also winning for Best Editing. Seven wins is not anywhere close to the record of eleven shared by LOTR: The Return of the King, Titanic, Ben-Hur, and the original West Side Story, but six out of the seven biggest awards is unprecedented.

No film has ever won all four of the acting awards. EEAAO joins A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) and Network (1976) as the only films to have won three.

AKA23 03-13-23 10:40 PM

I tried to watch this and I was only able to make it 45 minutes into the movie. I had a very hard time understanding what was happening and so I didn't resonate with this film. As a result, although it seemed like a foregone conclusion based on the precursor awards, I'm kind of still surprised that it won Best Picture and that it won more top major category awards than any other film in the history of the Oscars, as Holden cited above. I had heard a lot of older Academy voters didn't get it either and didn't particularly like it. It has very passionate supporters, there's no doubt about that, but it also appears that it's not a movie that is universally loved. I thought in the era of the preferential ballot, which is a rank ordered system, that a film that was divisive with many couldn't win, since a preferential ballot is a consensus choice, but this one did! Why do you all think that is? Was this film not in fact as divisive as some of us may have been led to believe? Why was it as successful as it was, not only in Best Picture, but also for 6 of the top awards?

Thursday Next 03-14-23 03:54 AM

With Everything Everywhere All At Once I feel similarly to when Shape of Water won.

I'm delighted for the people involved since I think it is a really good film and I'm glad it wasn't beaten by something less deserving like Avatar or The Fabelmans.

But at the same time I am braced for the inevitable backlash. It is very much not a film for everyone, in fact that is part of its appeal to the people who enjoy it, I think, that feeling of 'hey, this is my kind of weird'.

I like that there's room for mass appeal films (easy to aim for, hard to do really well) and these quirkier ones when giving out awards, that we seem to have moved on from the era of obvious Oscar bait type movies.

xSookieStackhouse 03-14-23 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2377737)
gosh i knew he was on one of indiana jones movies