Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Recommended films that are not on either Netflix or Amazon Prime? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62965)

SSB1978 12-24-20 07:30 AM

Recommended films that are not on either Netflix or Amazon Prime?

I have recently joined a Dvd rental service and am looking to top up my list, I enjoy all genres of film but would prefer those made after the 90's

My current list is:

Oldboy (original)
The Lunchbox (Hindi)
Glengary Glen Ross
Bad Times at the El Royale
The Lookout
Wind River

Thanks!

Vanillapie 12-24-20 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by SSB1978 (Post 2157053)
I have recently joined a Dvd rental service and am looking to top up my list, I enjoy all genres of film but would prefer those made after the 90's

My current list is:

Oldboy (original)
The Lunchbox (Hindi)
Glengary Glen Ross
Bad Times at the El Royale
The Lookout
Wind River

Thanks!
These are 5 off the top of my mind I haven’t seen on steaming sites.

-Audition (to add another fantastic Korean movie to the list)
-Memento (great cast, early C Nolan)
-First reformed (movie I only watched recently Ethan Hawke at his very best)
-Requim for a dream (extremely depressing but phenomenally deep)
-Take shelter (divisive kinda like ‘enemy’ where the plot isn’t really wrapped up in a bow

Takoma11 12-24-20 11:35 AM

I also get DVDs and here is how I make sure that I'm not getting DVDs of things that I could see on streaming:

I added anything that interested me to my DVD queue. Then I made an account at JustWatch. I added all of the movies on my Netflix queue to my watchlist. Then I used the JustWatch filter to see which movies are streaming on Amazon or Netflix. I put all of those movies down at the bottom of my Netflix queue. I have about 270 movies in my Netflix DVD queue, and about 40 of them are available on streaming services. As I watch them, I remove them from my DVD queue.

The nice thing is, new movies get added to streaming pretty frequently, so with JustWatch it's easy to see if a movie from my DVD queue is now streaming. And when I added a service (Criterion Channel), many of the films on my queue were suddenly things I could stream.

(This post makes it sound like I own stock in JustWatch or something, LOL. I do not. I've just found it to be a really useful tool in choosing which films to get on DVD.)

Some movies in my queue that are not streaming and that are post-90s:
The Wind Rises
Our Little Sister
Time of the Wolf
The Visitor
Under the Same Moon
Where God Left His Shoes
Selma
Summer Wars
Smashed
Life Above All
A Prophet
Lives of Others
Broken Embraces

baleclone 12-24-20 05:14 PM

Re: Recommended films that are not on either Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Requiem for a Dream
Walk The Line
Billy Elliot
Battle Royale
Broken Flowers

xSookieStackhouse 12-29-20 08:18 AM

well u can look at the movie reviews or look at good movie lists

Corax 12-29-20 08:20 AM

Kinda hard to say since it is hard to say what is actually on streaming services.