Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Games and Tabs (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Comix tab (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=3125)

linespalsy 10-17-02 02:14 PM

Comix tab

well, there's a movies tab, and a books tab, both of which are very cool ideas, but frankly, my favorite medium is comics. so it's high time we have a comic books tab (if there is already one, let me know and i'll just post there, i didnt see one.)

so to start off: here are the one's i've finished recently:

the megalomaniacal spiderman, by peter bagge, marvel:
"didnt i 'defeat' this lunatic (dr. doom) last week? what a revolving door our justice system has become!"
--written and illustrated by none other than pete bagge (hate, neat stuff, editor of wierdo for while). a very witty 'what if...' one shot that poses the question: 'what if spiderman read ayn rand, and it drove him mad?'
of course, it also functions as a very witty tribute/send up of spiderman's cocreator, steve ditco. the nutty creator of such classic characters as mr. a, and the question (moore and gibbons based the watchmen's rorschack roughly on the question).

nausicaa, of the valley of the wind, volume 1, by hayao miyazaki, viz, fifth time:
a good start to the story, excellent action/drama, and as expected from miyazaki, good art. but it's one that just gets better as it goes along, and it's volumes three and four in particular that make this my favorite manga, as well as my favorite comic of all time.

Mary Loquacious 10-17-02 02:52 PM

My latest comics reads:

Transmetropolitan ("Being a bastard works.") and The Authority ("We're going to have to go kill God."): both Warren Ellis, both fabulous, taking the idea of the superhero and pissing on it before molding it into something new and better.

The man is a god.

Sir Toose 10-17-02 03:01 PM

Dark Knight

*whilst picturing Marilyn Manson as Scarecrow... I must admit it has possibilities...*

Holden Pike 10-17-02 07:06 PM

I own over 3,000 comic books, but I haven't bought or read one in years.

Actually, I take that back: I did get Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns sequel, but before that it had been probably 1990 or 1991, when I was still collecting 'em.

linespalsy 10-17-02 08:55 PM

>mary, i havent yet gotten around to checking out transmetropolitan or anything by ellis, though have heard a lot (word on the street :rolleyes: is that his work is quite good). did you check out top ten? also in the context of turning super heroes on their head, some others by moore that you may have heard of: the watchmen, and the somewhat older miracle man retreads (gaiman also wrote some, now i think the rights are being dueled over by mcfarlane and gaiman). if you havent already, i'd strongly recomend checking both out.

>toose, to which dark knight are you referring? dk2? the dark night returns? other?

>holden, for the sake of posterity, a couple questions. what type of comics were you into (i.e. -big two super hero stuff, old kurtzman era stuff, krazy kat/popeye/etc, french, manga, korean? why'd you stop reading?
so you came out of comic collecting stagnation to get dk2? kind of a dissapointing return, if you ask me....what'd ya think of it?

Naisy 10-18-02 12:05 AM

Angel

X-men

Captain America

Monkeypunch 10-18-02 12:54 AM

Comix I read recently:

The Authority
Preacher
The Life and Death Of Fritz the Cat
Hate
Dork!
The Ultimates
Strangers in Paradise
Bone
Flaming Carrot
The Boondocks

and tons more that I can't remember.

Herod 10-18-02 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
My latest comics reads:

Transmetropolitan ("Being a bastard works.") .
There was a time when I planned on naming any theoretical son I might have, and get this: Spider Jerusalem.

Great comic. I really ought to stop by my local shop and pick up a few issues.

Mary Loquacious 10-18-02 01:23 AM

Originally posted by linespalsy
[b]>mary, i havent yet gotten around to checking out transmetropolitan or anything by ellis, though have heard a lot (word on the street :rolleyes: is that his work is quite good). did you check out top ten? also in the context of turning super heroes on their head, some others by moore that you may have heard of: the watchmen, and the somewhat older miracle man retreads (gaiman also wrote some, now i think the rights are being dueled over by mcfarlane and gaiman). if you havent already, i'd strongly recomend checking both out.
Ellis is great--if you like Alan Moore, I think you'll dig Ellis.

I haven't read Miracle Man, but I do love Neil Gaiman's stuff. And, of course, Watchmen is a classic, classic book. One of the best comics ever, up there with Dark Knight. But...

>toose, to which dark knight are you referring? dk2? the dark night returns? other?
DK 2 was definitely a disappointment, after waiting so long to see it. Not half as well executed as TDKR, plus the added bonus of Carrie Kelley in a horrible cat suit with f*cked up ears and humongous rollerblades. Frank, what the hell?

Great comic. I really ought to stop by my local shop and pick up a few issues.
You bet your ass you should, my friend. ;D "To me, my filthy assistants!"

Monkeypunch 10-18-02 01:27 AM

DK2 was just wretched. I hated that comic so much.....

Herod 10-18-02 01:33 AM

I never got to check it out.
There was a time when I was anxiously anticipating it, but it just took too long to come.
I guess I got wrapped up in the whole "Holiday" saga instead.

linespalsy 10-18-02 11:23 AM

?'holiday' saga?
?

anyway, yes, i'd have to say dk2 is a bit disapointing, but not quite terrible (though the art and particularly the coloring are some of the most half-assed that i've seen(in a "much less than i'd expect from so-called 'professionals'" kinda way)). basically, my impression was that miller was going stricktly for the fan-service angle, which was both the comic's greatest strength and it's primary weakness. in other words, it had some great nostalgia value for golden age dc buffs, which in my book is a plus (very authentic portrayal of the always enjoyable plastic man, plus it's cool to see the atom, shazam (i always liked him better than supes), and company bouncing around). but on the other hand, very little substance beyond the derivative, and many of the retreads (the fact that batman and superman have their obligatory show down in the first issue, and that it was no more than one would expect of a scene thrown in merely to draw favor from it's association with what it was derived from) were just plain lame. of course, my problems with it dont end there, but still a decent example of miller doing what he has a nack for: having fun with cliches.

okay, mary, you're making ellis sound better by the minute, guess i'll have to check his stuff out sooner, as opposed to later.

some good one's mentioned by monkeypunch too...hate is one of my all time faves!-->did you get to check out bagge's recent take on spiderman and steve ditco (see my first post of the thread). havent read bone, but for some reason i always imagined it as being an early cerebus deciple (is it just the similar character designs that gave me this idea?). can you give a little more information?

Gracie 10-18-02 02:30 PM

My absolute favorite Comc Book is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Peter Jackson. It is an absolute masterpiece. I can't post a link directly to the comic book, but I can give you directions. www.ninjaturtles.com . Click on the link that says Comics to the right, and go to the bottome where it says. "To read the comic book, click Here." It really is good.:yup:

Holden Pike 10-18-02 04:31 PM

Yeah, the Dark Knight sequel was disappointing, but on one hand how could it have been anything but? The original is such a masterpiece, a sequel was automatically going to be a losing proposition by comparison. I didn't find it a complete waste, but overall a definite miss. Oh well.

I collected all sorts of comic books, though mostly Marvel & D.C. stuff. Some of my favorite series were Captain America, Groo the Wanderer, What If?..., Grendel, The Avengers, Sin City, Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children, Howard the Duck, The Sandman...lots of stuff, I'm drawing a blank just now on others, and don't feel like digging out the boxes. I stopped because I got bored with them by in large, and because I happily started spending all my money on LaserDiscs instead.

Monkeypunch 10-21-02 01:37 AM

Just got Phoenix: A Tale of the Future, by Osamu Tezuka, which is just incredible. If you liked the anime movie Metropolis, you owe it to yourself to buy this book.

linespalsy 10-25-02 01:29 AM

studs kirby "the voice of america", by peter bagge
"the message is this: you made the mistake of your life when you hired that communist to write your music reviews and now you're gonna pay for it!!!"
if you've read some of bagge's other stuff, you know the drill, this should be available from fantagraphics, not as good as the totally amazing 'hate', but a fun collection of satyrical shorts and strips about a drunken, egotistical, libertarian talk-radio host. i think most of these were from bagge's 80's series 'neat stuff'. funny stuff.

jrs 10-26-02 11:57 PM

Wow!!! I can't believe i haven't thought about starting this thread! I love comics :D :yup:

I just finished:

Birds of Prey #14

Naisy 10-28-02 12:35 AM

Flash Gordon

Deep Under

jrs 10-28-02 12:38 AM

Batman : Year One
Batman : Year Two
Birds of Prey # 15 - 28

Naisy 10-28-02 08:36 PM

Garfield (about 23 of them)
Snoopy (3 of them)
X-Men (one)
Conan (one)
Archie (five)

i never realised how many comix i owned until now!!