Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Birthdays and Introductions (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Hello everyone (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59572)

JurassicWorld 06-23-19 12:35 PM

Hello everyone

Hi everyone, I'm Dave. I have just signed up, I was looking for somewhere to talk about movies.

I'm not too much of a movie buff which may sound strange (as I've joined a movie forum!) but I do want to watch more films and thought this would be a great place to see what other people watch and what they recommend.

As you can probably guess from my username, I'm a big fan of the Jurassic World films.

Looking forward to having a look around :)

Dave

Yoda 06-23-19 12:41 PM

Re: Hello everyone

Hi Dave. Welcome to Movie Forums. :)

Citizen Rules 06-23-19 01:01 PM

Hey Dave, think I'll call ya JW, it's easier to remember:D WELCOME to MOFO

So what type of movies are you hoping to learn about and watch? Let us know. MoFos (that's what we call ourselves) are a great source of recommendations.

JurassicWorld 06-23-19 05:16 PM

JW is fine by me, I shall call you CR :D

There are a lot of well known classic films I haven't seen that I feel I should have! I have never watched Lord of the Rings for example, or Pulp Fiction or the Godfather so I feel I should check those out. I wouldn't mind watching some Alfred Hitchcock as well as I do enjoy the horror genre. I love the Bond films, but I haven't watched seen any of the older films for years. I have rewatched the Daniel Craig ones a few times.

There's no genres I dislike as such, but I do love a good action film or a horror/thriller.

SFMZone 06-23-19 05:27 PM

http://scifimoviezone.com/welcomepark.gif

Citizen Rules 06-23-19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by JurassicWorld (Post 2019965)
....There's no genres I dislike as such, but I do love a good action film or a horror/thriller.
Oh good, then do I have some movie musical recommendations for you:p

Miss Vicky 06-23-19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by JurassicWorld (Post 2019901)
I'm not too much of a movie buff which may sound strange (as I've joined a movie forum!)
It doesn't sound strange at all. If you said "I'm not too much of a movie fan," we might wonder why you're here.

It feels a little weird seeing you call Lord of the Rings "classic" but I guess it's almost 20 years old now. Besides Jurassic World and Bond, what movies do you like?

JurassicWorld 06-23-19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2019970)
Oh good, then do I have some movie musical recommendations for you:p
I do like a musical from time to time, I liked Burlesque. I look forward to hearing your recommendations ;)

JurassicWorld 06-23-19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2019976)
It doesn't sound strange at all. If you said "I'm not too much of a movie fan," we might wonder why you're here.

It feels a little weird seeing you call Lord of the Rings "classic" but I guess it's almost 20 years old now. Besides Jurassic World and Bond, what movies do you like?
Hi Miss Vicky :) some of my favourite films are from the horror/thriller genre - I loved the effect of The Blair Witch Project, it seems to be a film that polarises opinion. Some of my friends loved it, others really didn't like it. But it's one of those films that really creeped me out and stayed with me. I thought the tension and unease was built up nicely and it was the fact it was all psychological and left to your imagination that really scared me. I also love The Shining and Hereditary which came out last year and really took me by surprise how much I liked it.

Other favourite films include Hot Fuzz, Shaun of The Dead, Speed, Taken, Se7en, Nightcrawler and Brokeback Mountain. A big Jake Gyllenhaal fan too!

MovieGal 06-23-19 06:16 PM

Hi......

I like most everything except American Comedy. Can recommend all types of stuff...

Gideon58 06-23-19 06:47 PM

Welcome aboard, Dave...looking forward to hear what you might want to say and I'm sure there are a lot of folks here who can recommend some films for you. You taste in films seems to be far from mine, so I think I'm going to let others around here help you with some recs.

Citizen Rules 06-23-19 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by JurassicWorld (Post 2019979)
I do like a musical from time to time, I liked Burlesque. I look forward to hearing your recommendations ;)
La La Land comes to mind.

SFMZone 06-23-19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by JurassicWorld (Post 2019980)
some of my favourite films are from the horror/thriller genre -
http://scifimoviezone.com/horrorshow.gif

MovieGal 06-23-19 08:06 PM

I also love The Shining and Hereditary which came out last year and really took me by surprise how much I liked it.
Do you plan on watching "Doctor Sleep" and/or "Midsommar"?

I'm excited for "Midsommar"!

Violetlvr 06-23-19 08:59 PM

Welcome

JurassicWorld 06-24-19 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2020000)
I also love The Shining and Hereditary which came out last year and really took me by surprise how much I liked it.
Do you plan on watching "Doctor Sleep" and/or "Midsommar"?

I'm excited for "Midsommar"!
Yes I'm planning on watching Midsommar, I saw the trailer for it the other day and it looks great. I'm really excited for it! I think I'll plan a cinema trip for it.

Thank you for all the welcomes :)

Gibbonblack 06-24-19 01:35 PM

Hi! Welcome!

Sedai 06-24-19 04:18 PM

Hello and welcome! :)

Ami-Scythe 06-24-19 04:40 PM

Hi there! I tend to de-recommend things so ignore me lol

Gideon58 06-24-19 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2019993)
La La Land comes to mind.
OMG, you like musicals? We musical lovers are a dying breed and there's not a lot of us around here. Based on the fact that you liked Burlesque, I would like to recommend 1979's All that Jazz, 1980's Fame, 1979's Hair, and 2005's Rent. If you like any of those, let me know and I might recommend some more for you. And I second Citzen's recommendation of La La Land.