Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Most annoying 24 characters (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59495)

mattiasflgrtll6 06-08-19 07:55 AM

Most annoying 24 characters
 
I love this show, but there are definitely still some characters that got on my nerves whenever they were on screen.

Most of the responses are probably gonna say Kim, but she's one of my favorites. She might have gotten into some crazy and ridiculous situations, but I really like her fearlessness and brave attitude. She's inherited that from her father quite well.

Anyway...

Edgar Stiles - I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this since he's a fan favorite among many, but boy, this was the first character that really grated on me. Every time he started whining I BADLY wanted him to shut the fúck up! Season 4 is my favorite next to 5, but it did a fatal mistake of introducing this face. That being said,
WARNING: spoilers below
his death scene was still genuinely sad, so props for making me care about him there.
.

Gredenko - Just a very boring villain. It's more a matter of disinterest rather than annoyance, but still thought I'd include him.

Brian Hastings - Many times I found myself just going "Oh, gimme a break!" whenever he would cling onto his by-the-books procedures and really hamper the process finding the culprits they're looking for, and of course, being another thorn in the shoe for Jack as well. Mykelti Williamson does do a great job portraying him, and he was slightly redeemed by the end, but he's enough of a nuisance he still deserves a spot.

Kevin Wade - Cliché stalker stereotype given extremely cheesy dialogue.

Dana Walsh - ... but Dana's even worse. This is my least favorite character in the entire series. I don't know if it's bad acting or bad writing, but even before
WARNING: spoilers below
the twist that she's a traitor
I already couldn't stand her. She was there for far longer than she needed to, considering the pointless stalker subplot in the first 10 or so episodes. Why was that even included? Felt like soap opera filler material.

Season 6 also had the bad tendency of screwing up previously likable characters, like James Heller barking at Jack even after he saved her daughter or Karen selfishly firing her husband.

Chypmunk 06-08-19 08:25 AM

Re: Most annoying 24 characters
 
1. Jar Jar Binks

I'll have to think on the other 23....

ynwtf 06-09-19 11:47 PM

Re: Most annoying 24 characters
 
Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2016951)
1. Jar Jar Binks

I'll have to think on the other 23....

#2
https://youtu.be/j3IJQXwah0E

Chypmunk 06-10-19 04:22 AM

Re: Most annoying 24 characters
 
Excellent work Master wootf, 22 to go only now there is...

Chypmunk 06-10-19 04:40 AM

Actually make that 21...

#3.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrandAthle...restricted.gif

mattiasflgrtll6 06-10-19 06:05 AM

I can't tell if you guys are pulling my leg or genuinely misunderstood what this thread was about...

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2017267)
With Watto and kid Anakin in the same clip, not sure who you find more insufferable.

Screw your entry, Chyp! Mr. Bean rules!

Chypmunk 06-10-19 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6 (Post 2017286)
I can't tell if you guys are pulling my leg or genuinely misunderstood what this thread was about...

Chypmunk 06-10-19 06:36 AM

#4.
https://media0.giphy.com/media/115GePH0Iri8QE/giphy.gif

#5.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/0f1cd58d...4x3ro1_250.gif

Great idea for a thread this, someone ought to run a countdown ;)

GulfportDoc 06-11-19 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6 (Post 2016947)
I love this show, but there are definitely still some characters that got on my nerves whenever they were on screen.

Most of the responses are probably gonna say Kim, but she's one of my favorites. She might have gotten into some crazy and ridiculous situations, but I really like her fearlessness and brave attitude. She's inherited that from her father quite well.

Anyway...

Edgar Stiles - I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this since he's a fan favorite among many, but boy, this was the first character that really grated on me. Every time he started whining I BADLY wanted him to shut the fúck up! Season 4 is my favorite next to 5, but it did a fatal mistake of introducing this face. That being said,
WARNING: spoilers below
his death scene was still genuinely sad, so props for making me care about him there.
.

Gredenko - Just a very boring villain. It's more a matter of disinterest rather than annoyance, but still thought I'd include him.

Brian Hastings - Many times I found myself just going "Oh, gimme a break!" whenever he would cling onto his by-the-books procedures and really hamper the process finding the culprits they're looking for, and of course, being another thorn in the shoe for Jack as well. Mykelti Williamson does do a great job portraying him, and he was slightly redeemed by the end, but he's enough of a nuisance he still deserves a spot.

Kevin Wade - Cliché stalker stereotype given extremely cheesy dialogue.

Dana Walsh - ... but Dana's even worse. This is my least favorite character in the entire series. I don't know if it's bad acting or bad writing, but even before
WARNING: spoilers below
the twist that she's a traitor
I already couldn't stand her. She was there for far longer than she needed to, considering the pointless stalker subplot in the first 10 or so episodes. Why was that even included? Felt like soap opera filler material.

Season 6 also had the bad tendency of screwing up previously likable characters, like James Heller barking at Jack even after he saved her daughter or Karen selfishly firing her husband.
Nice topic. I've been meaning to respond.

Like you, I enjoyed 24 immensely. In fact we've watched each season 6-8 times, maybe more. Their formula really kept the viewers hooked: crisis; reaction; cliff hanger; resolution-- which immediately begins another crisis. The music scores alone by Sean Callery were magnificent: the moods he was able to create, the pounding percussion leading up to climaxes, and the like.

Oddly I'm not a Kiefer Sutherland fan, but he was near perfect for the role. And ML Rajskub as "Chloe" became almost as important as Jack Bauer. They milked about as much as they could from the overall 24 approach. In fact the last one was pushing it a little.

I agree with your irritability over certain characters. Off the top of my head these are some of my choices of irritating characters: Audrey Raines, Wayne Palmer, Dana Walsh, Paul Raines, Marianne Taylor (season 4), Bill Prady (P.O. that Walsh killed). There were others, but those stick in my memory.

The funny part is, it was the characters themselves who were distasteful, usually not the actors, who were mostly first rate. So they were "doing their jobs"..;) D.B. Woodside as Wayne Palmer IMO is one of the characters I didn't like, who is either a poor actor, or was poorly cast. I'm not sure about Katee Sackhoff. Her character went from sweet to diabolic, which took some chops. I note that she played a completely different character in Longmire-- kind of dull really, although she's sure easy to look at.

There were some real outstanding performances over the series run. But stand-outs for me were Gregory Itzin and Jean Smart as President and Mrs. Charles Logan. Those performances have been, and will be studied in acting classes, for sure. Absolutely stunning.

There have been very few series that have put out that much material and have been followed by that many fans. One of the greats.

~Doc

mattiasflgrtll6 06-11-19 09:55 PM

Re: Most annoying 24 characters
 
So glad that someone finally responded properly to my topic! :)

I agree completely about Itzin and Smart. Those performances were amazing. Every scene with them is constantly fascinating to watch. In fact, I wish we'd gotten more of Smart in the show. Imagine if she helped Jack take him down in season 8, that would be incredible.

Other standouts for me (besides Kiefer himself of course) include Dennis Haysbert, Carlos Bernard, Elisha Cuthbert, Reiko Aylesworth and James Morrison. David Palmer and Bill Buchanan were such magnetic presences on the show I was incredibly sad to see them go.

Haysbert commanded every scene with his presence, and as proven with the corrupt or incompetent presidents that would follow after (Logan is evil in its purest form, his son Wayne screwed up quite a few times, and Allison started out good but then turned corrupt until she finally regretted her actions), nothing would ever be the same after David's assassination. Omar Hassan came very close to recapturing his integrity though.

Similiarly with Buchanan, I don't think there ever was a better CTU leader than him. Not only would the others get on Jack's case constantly, but just have no idea how to run the CTU in general. Buchanan was the only one who had balls enough to take the big decisions and steer the ship when he could see it was sinking.

Tony and Michelle's relationship developed so naturally and flawlessly that before I knew it, I was totally rooting for them to grow up with a happy life together by the end of season 4. As is the nature of 24 though, there are never any real happy endings. Sigh.

When I started watching 24, I found Elisha Cuthbert's character a bit annoying at first. But after a while, I not only grew to appreciate Kim a lot more (especially in season 2), but I also developed a major celebrity crush on Elisha Cuthbert, which reached its nadir after I watched The Girl Next Door. I'm endlessly thankful 24 introduced me to her.

ynwtf 06-11-19 10:18 PM

Hey hey HEY, now. I got my #2 in! It takes time to compile a top 24 of annoying characters.

:D

GulfportDoc 06-12-19 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6 (Post 2017717)
...
Similiarly with Buchanan, I don't think there ever was a better CTU leader than him. Not only would the others get on Jack's case constantly, but just have no idea how to run the CTU in general. Buchanan was the only one who had balls enough to take the big decisions and steer the ship when he could see it was sinking.

...

When I started watching 24, I found Elisha Cuthbert's character a bit annoying at first. But after a while, I not only grew to appreciate Kim a lot more (especially in season 2), but I also developed a major celebrity crush on Elisha Cuthbert, which reached its nadir after I watched The Girl Next Door. I'm endlessly thankful 24 introduced me to her.
Couldn't agree more about "Bill Buchanan" (James Morrison). He's a good actor who was perfectly cast. His talent was ideal for his scripted part.

And didn't you also admire "Agent Aaron Pierce" (Glenn Morshower)? I looked forward to every scene he was in. The chemistry between he and Jean Smart seemed real. Reportedly he's a motivational speaker in real life.

I disliked "Kim Bauer" (Elisha Cuthbert) right from the git-go. It seemed in the entire first season her chief role was to feature footage of her running, so that her boobs would bounce up and down. She's easy to look at, for sure, but she's otherwise not a gifted actress. Still, her character grew on you, despite the fact that --due to their ages-- Jack never looked old enough to be her father. Therefore their tender scenes seemed oddly kinky.

Are we the only ones who marveled at 24??..:D

~Doc

mattiasflgrtll6 06-12-19 12:36 PM

Well, it wasn't just her looks, I thought Cuthbert did a great job portraying her as likable in most of her appearances, even though she got into some hilariously zany situations at times (like the classic cougar scene).

Agent Pierce was another compelling character. He had excellent chemistry with Martha.

Jude Ciccolella as Mike Novick deserves a shout-out too. By far one of the most engaging character arcs, constantly dancing between good and evil.

When it comes to later characters, I very much liked Bob Gunton's portrayal of Ethan Kanin. Morally upright to the end. Not even the president can make him do something he doesn't stand for.

Anne Wersching as Renee Walker is another character that I didn't care for at first, but grew on me after a few episodes. In season 8 especially. Not to say I didn't find her irrational at times, but it's justifiable by the severe trauma she's suffered. I actually cried a little when Jack was with her at the hospital, hearing the news that she's dead.

Yoda 06-12-19 01:01 PM

Re: Most annoying 24 characters
 
Re: Cuthbert. I'm not sure if she's much of a dramatic actress, but it turns out she's a pretty good comedic one, per Happy Endings, a gone-to-soon comedy cult classic show.

Sedai 06-12-19 02:02 PM

Re: Most annoying 24 characters
 
My wife and I recently re-watched a few of the seasons, bailing out around the mid-point of season 6, which is just trash, especially after the arguably series-best season 5.

Anyway, I also want to mention how great Mr. and Mrs. Logan are, as far as characters are concerned. Endlessly entertaining!

Also, honorable mention for Curtis, who was totally bad ass.

As for annoying characters....

Terry Bauer: hands down in my number one slot. She annoys me to no end. Was glad she only lasted one season!

Edgar Styles: Right there with you on this guy. He sucks!

Maya Driscoll: Sorry, I know it's totally not PC to rag on this character, but she annoyed me, nonetheless. Not so much her as the entire story line that was clearly just tacked on to create drama for Director Driscoll.

Richard Heller: What a whine-ass. When you are rooting for people torturing someone, you know something is wrong. Very wrong.

GulfportDoc 06-12-19 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2017804)
...

As for annoying characters....

Terry Bauer: hands down in my number one slot. She annoys me to no end. Was glad she only lasted one season!

Edgar Styles: Right there with you on this guy. He sucks!

Maya Driscoll: Sorry, I know it's totally not PC to rag on this character, but she annoyed me, nonetheless. Not so much her as the entire story line that was clearly just tacked on to create drama for Director Driscoll.

Richard Heller: What a whine-ass. When you are rooting for people torturing someone, you know something is wrong. Very wrong.
Heh, heh. I know what you mean. Oddly enough, not too long ago I saw Louis Lombardi (Edgar Styles) in a movie where he played a convincing gangster! But his milquetoast personality as Styles irritated some.

The Maya Driscoll character was maddening and irritating, and I'll say that Angela Goethals was almost too good in her portrayal. I suppose that dramatically her character served to transform her mother's character (Erin Driscoll) from a witch to a sympathetic gal.

And Richard Heller? I wanted to slap the tweet out of him every time he was on screen. The writers overdid it a little with him. But I guess if they're after an emotional response, they got one. The guy is a good actor, but in a horrible role.

Another mediocre talent (or bad casting) was Kayla Hassan (Nazneen Contractor) who played President Omar Hassan's daughter.

One character I DID like, and who I could have seen more of, was Kate Warner, played by Sarah Wynter. She and Jack had some real chemistry, and you could tell that the writers flirted with having she and Jack hook up, but they couldn't allow it..:)

~Doc

Sedai 06-12-19 05:38 PM

Re: Most annoying 24 characters
 
Ah, I also just remembered how much I liked Shohreh Aghdashloo's portrayal of Dina Araz in season 4. Chilling!


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright, ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Movie Forums