Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A song for August (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64460)

Chypmunk 07-31-21 03:35 PM

A song for August

Same as was done in previous tournaments of this type.....
  • Join in and drop out as you please
  • No set number of nominations, nominate on the fly
  • Max song duration: 10 minutes
  • No individual matches means no random or host 'fixing' the matches
  • Only one nomination per person per 'round'
  • Only those with songs nominated in any 'round' are eligible to vote; except the 'Final' where all those that have previously nominated a song in the month may vote should they wish

Every couple of days will be a new 'round' where any and all newly nominated songs are up against each other. As soon as voting starts for one 'round' nominations will be accepted for the next 'round'.

Players vote by ranking all the songs in that 'round' from 1 (their favourite) to n (their least favourite). Songs will be awarded points based on their positional ranking in each vote (number of points will depend on the number of songs contesting the 'round' - if 10 songs #1 song would get 10 points, #10 song would get 1 point).

The winning song from each 'round' (or songs in the case of a tie) goes through to the 'Final' at the end of the month.

Songs that made it to previous 'finals' are ineligible -
list here  

Simples but if any relevant questions just ask.

Chypmunk 07-31-21 03:36 PM

Re: A song for August

ROUND 1 will open for voting at 9 a.m. BST on August 3rd, nominations accepted up to that point.

honeykid 07-31-21 03:48 PM

Round 1

Taffy - I Love My Radio

Chypmunk 07-31-21 04:02 PM

My R1 nom:
Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser

Torgo 07-31-21 04:38 PM

Round 1

Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream

Flicker 07-31-21 04:49 PM

No idea what's going on. But I can't see "song" + "August" without thinking of Nikos Papazoglou's devastating ode to his dead sister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COxn2bH-RY8

Chypmunk 07-31-21 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker (Post 2225316)
No idea what's going on. But I can't see "song" + "August" without thinking of Nikos Papazoglou's devastating ode to his dead sister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COxn2bH-RY8
Join the gang - I never have any idea what's going on and I'm usually the one that starts these things :D

Seriously though it's just a little fun tournament where people nominate songs and then vote on which ones they like more or less and at the end of the month we somehow end up with a winning song. Welcome to join in if you fancy.

Nice song btw.

Thief 07-31-21 04:54 PM

So just nominate a song to "fight" against the others?

Chypmunk 07-31-21 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2225321)
So just nominate a song to "fight" against the others?
Pretty much that yeah.
Here's a link to the previous one - easier than me half-arsedly explaining what happens ;)

Thief 07-31-21 05:37 PM

Ok, what the heck...

Round 1

The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down

SpelingError 07-31-21 05:48 PM

I don't listen to music that much anymore, but I might as well join cuz' why not?

Round 1

We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters

Chypmunk 07-31-21 06:02 PM

For those new to these tourneys - song links need to be in external format (otherwise the post for each round is just far too large/cumbersome). To make a song link external:
1. Copy the url of the link you want (note this should be from the address bar as it has to contain the full format address of 'youtube.com' and not 'youtu.be')
2. Type the text of the artist and song in a response ... i.e. Clive Dunn - Grandad
3. Highlight that text
4. In the list of optional actions at the top of the response box (where italics, bold, underline etc. is) click the picture of a globe with 2 links of a chain underneath it
5. In the box that comes up paste the url you copied earlier
6. Edit the "www" in the box to "m"
7. Click ok and it will wrap the HTML for the link around the text and that's it

You can verify it looks ok and that it works by previewing the post in the 'Go Advanced' editing option.
Please note that it is very much preferred that nobody actually nominates Clive Dunn - Grandad at any point. Thank you ;)

SpelingError 07-31-21 06:19 PM

Actually, can I change my nomination to Clive Dunn - Grandad?

Chypmunk 07-31-21 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2225341)
Actually, can I change my nomination to Clive Dunn - Grandad?
Sure you can - enjoy your last place on my ballot :D

Captain Steel 07-31-21 06:30 PM

See You In September

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyYP8G2wc_s

jiraffejustin 07-31-21 07:53 PM

DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem

ynwtf 08-01-21 12:53 AM

R1
A Perfect Day Elise (demo) - PJ Harvey

SpelingError 08-01-21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2225293)
ROUND 1 will open for voting at 9 a.m. BST on August 3rd, nominations accepted up to that point.
Btw, what date do we have to submit our votes by?

Chypmunk 08-01-21 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2225526)
Btw, what date do we have to submit our votes by?
Each round is two days in duration, players can vote and nominate for the next round (if they want to) whenever they want within that period. I tend to try to manage things around 9am my time as I'm generally quite free then.

Anyone can skip a round (or more) whenever they wish (or need to 'cos ya know .... life) by not nominating for the next round and simply rejoin by nominating another song whenever convenient to themselves.

Chypmunk 08-02-21 03:47 AM

Around 25 hours left for nominations to Round 1.....

gbgoodies 08-02-21 04:23 AM

I'm in. :)

My Round 1 Nom:
Steve Wariner - You Can Dream Of Me

John-Connor 08-02-21 04:56 AM

R1
Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano'

Captain Spaulding 08-03-21 02:32 AM

Round 1 nom:
The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina

Chypmunk 08-03-21 05:06 AM

A warm welcome back to returning players and a just as warm hello and welcome to those joining in for the first time, as ever I hope it provides some enjoyment through the month...

Chypmunk 08-03-21 06:05 AM

1. We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters
  2. Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream
  3. Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser
  4. A Perfect Day Elise (demo) - PJ Harvey
  5. The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina
  6. Taffy - I Love My Radio
  7. The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down
  8. Steve Wariner - You Can Dream Of Me
  9. DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem
  10. Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano'

My R2 nom:
The Adults - Nothing To Lose

Captain Spaulding 08-03-21 07:06 AM

Round 1

1. The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina
2. Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser
3. The Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun
4. Steve Wariner - You Can Dream of Me
5. PJ Harvey - A Perfect Day Elise (Demo)
6. Taffy - I Love My Radio
7. DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem
8. The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down
9. Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream
10. Ennio Morricone - La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano

Captain Spaulding 08-03-21 07:20 AM

Round 2 nom:
Motorhead & Girlschool - Please Don't Touch

Torgo 08-03-21 08:12 AM

1. Taffy - I Love My Radio
2. PJ Harvey - A Perfect Day Elise
3. Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream
4. The Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun
5. The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina
6. Ennio Morricone - La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano
7. Gentleman's Pistols - Lady Teaser
8. The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down
9. DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem
10. Steve Wariner - You Can Dream of Me

Torgo 08-03-21 08:16 AM

Round 2

Active Child - Hanging On

Sedai 08-03-21 10:08 AM

Round 2

Lorde - Green Light

Thief 08-03-21 10:20 AM

I'll start listening to these songs on my way to work, and then vote.

Chypmunk 08-03-21 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2226213)
I'll start listening to these songs on my way to work, and then vote.
Or ....... you could listen to them at work and get paid to vote ;)

(this post does not in any way endorse or condone it's content)

Sedai 08-03-21 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2226221)
Or ....... you could listen to them at work and get paid to vote ;)

(this post does not in any way endorse or condone it's content)
Personally, I would never...

Hold on a sec, boss is coming...

OK I am back. Ahem! As I was saying, I would NEVER be on MoFo at work. Nope, Not me.

jiraffejustin 08-03-21 11:43 AM

I'm working at home because I was a close contact to someone who got the ole covid, so I will absolutely listen to these while I "work". brb.

jiraffejustin 08-03-21 12:43 PM

1. DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem
2. PJ Harvey - A Perfect Day Elise (Demo)
3. The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina
4. Ennio Morricone
5. The Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun
6. Steve Wariner - You Can Dream of Me
7. Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser
8. Taffy - I Love My Radio
10. The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down

Taffy - I Love My Radio
- Goofy, fun music that I can't decide if I enjoy or hate with everything I have. Overstays its welcome a bit for sure.

Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream
- This drove me crazy in a bad way, five minutes is a long time for this track.

Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser
- This is much more my speed than the first two. There is something here that's not entirely clicking with me, but this is easier listening to me than the first two. I'm not loving the vocals tho. There is something about the way he says "something that you're gonna find" that reminds me of Jack Black, who I like, but I don't really want a serious rock song to remind me of Jack Black.

The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down
Not for me. Wicked stache and soul patch combo tho brother. I do wish I had the confidence to roll with something that scuzzy to be completely honest. I kept waiting for this guy to start performing street magic.

We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters
- I love Todd Hayne's Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story. I don't guess I've ever listened to The Carpenters proper. This seemed like fine pop music, nice and produced well.

DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem
- My nom. I love me some DMX. Just feel good stuff. Maybe the best singalong rappers of all-time, just make sure you are alone when you do it.

A Perfect Day Elise (demo) - PJ Harvey
- I guess I should probably listen to PJ Harvey. Or maybe just the demos, because this has a great sound. According to RYM there is plenty of demo content to go through. Hell yeah.

Steve Wariner - You Can Dream Of Me
- Non-offensive, solid 90s country music that I won't actively go out of my way to listen to, but I don't get angry when I hear it.

Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano'
- While I enjoy his western output more, I can deal with some smooth piano work.

The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina
- I knew of Marcus King because he apparently runs in circles that intersect with circles I pay attention to, but I had never actually paid attention to his work. If I'm in convo with a Stapleton fan, I think I'll drop this name as someone they should check out.

jiraffejustin 08-03-21 12:52 PM

YG - My N*gga

SpelingError 08-03-21 01:04 PM

1. We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters
2. The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down
3. The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina
4. Meat Beast Manifesto - Mindstream
5. A Perfect Day Elise (demo) - PJ Harvey
6. Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser
7. Taffy - I Love My Radio
8. DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem
9. Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano'
10. Steve Wariner - You Can Dream Of Me

I'll think of a nomination for Round 2 later today. I take it we have submit it by August 5th.

John-Connor 08-03-21 01:24 PM

1. Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano'
  2. We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters
  3. DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem
  4. A Perfect Day Elise (demo) - PJ Harvey
  5. Taffy - I Love My Radio
  6. Steve Wariner - You Can Dream Of Me
  7. Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser
  8. The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina

R2
Lorde - Tennis Court

Thief 08-03-21 02:04 PM

I started listening to the songs... first two weren't necessarily for me; third one's more my jam :D

ynwtf 08-03-21 03:13 PM

1. The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina
    Not really my thing, but it does a good job of bridging a few styles without falling too hard into one or another.
  2. A Perfect Day Elise (demo) - PJ Harvey
    It's like a hybrid of QotSA and Alice in Chains (using major harmonies?), and maybe something from 80s pop.
  4. Taffy - I Love My Radio
    WOW! Great, catchy chorus and outro. Fun stuff. Classic with just a touch of nostalgic cheese. I can't complain.
  5. Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano'
  6. Steve Wariner - You Can Dream Of Me
    Once you read this, you may never unhear it again: That opening guitar riff? Just add the lyrics, "Thank you for being a friend..." :D I mean that with love, btw. I can't help but make weird associations in things I hear.
  7. DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem
  8. We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters

I'll track down my R2 later tonight.

Thief 08-03-21 04:10 PM

Ouch, not doing that well with mine. Gonna have to come up with a vengeance in Round 2 :laugh:

Captain Terror 08-03-21 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2226352)
Ouch, not doing that well with mine. Gonna have to come up with a vengeance in Round 2 :laugh:
Stings, doesn't it? My advice is to convince yourself that you're the one with taste and everyone else sucks. That's what got me through the tough rounds.

Except for the rounds when I did well of course. In that case everyone else was awesome. :)

Thief 08-03-21 04:39 PM

Ok, just heard to the whole lot. There were a couple that were not necessarily my thing in the bunch, but nothing that I didn't like. I think I got a clear favorite, maybe two, though, but since this is open till August 5, I'm gonna give them all another spin to see which ones stick.

ynwtf 08-03-21 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2226365)
Ok, just heard to the whole lot. There were a couple that were not necessarily my thing in the bunch, but nothing that I didn't like. I think I got a clear favorite, maybe two, though, but since this is open till August 5, I'm gonna give them all another spin to see which ones stick.
Agreed with Cap Terror. Screw what everyone else posts. They... are not important. Only YOUR selection matters. And when I type "your" I mean mine. Because I'm the one typing here.

Also, be aware that Chyp lives on a completely different orbit, so his time zone is like.... *counts... carry the three... uh...* like 27.5 hours different. Pretty sure he can see the flag waving on the moon, most days =\

Chypmunk 08-03-21 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2226376)
Also, be aware that Chyp lives on a completely different orbit, so his time zone is like.... *counts... carry the three... uh...* like 27.5 hours different. Pretty sure he can see the flag waving on the moon, most days =\
Of course I can see it ..... who do you think makes it wave ;)

SpelingError 08-03-21 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2226365)
Yeah, I listened to them all twice. For my first run through the lot, I was just trying to acquaint myself with how they sounded. The second time I listened to them was what mattered.

SpelingError 08-03-21 06:33 PM

Also, I only liked/loved the top few songs in my ballot. The rest weren't my thing I must admit.

ynwtf 08-04-21 12:33 AM

r2

Elle King - Good Thing Gone

pahaK 08-04-21 01:08 AM

Maybe I'll join for a round or a few to make others feel better about themselves. In other words, I've never managed to get a song into the finals.

gbgoodies 08-04-21 03:32 AM

1) Steve Wariner - You Can Dream Of Me
2) We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters
3) Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano'
4) The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina
5) The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down
6) Taffy - I Love My Radio
7) A Perfect Day Elise (demo) - PJ Harvey
8) Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser
9) Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream
10) DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem

gbgoodies 08-04-21 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2226364)
Stings, doesn't it? My advice is to convince yourself that you're the one with taste and everyone else sucks. That's what got me through the tough rounds.

Except for the rounds when I did well of course. In that case everyone else was awesome. :)
Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2226376)
Agreed with Cap Terror. Screw what everyone else posts. They... are not important. Only YOUR selection matters. And when I type "your" I mean mine. Because I'm the one typing here.
Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2226466)
Maybe I'll join for a round or a few to make others feel better about themselves. In other words, I've never managed to get a song into the finals.

I've been doing these song tournaments for several years now, and I've gotten used to my songs coming in last on a lot of people's lists. I've learned that my taste in music is very different from most people around here, but if one or two people don't hate my noms each round, I consider that a win. :)

Plus, I get to hear a lot of music that I never would have heard without these tournaments, so that's a win too. :up:

gbgoodies 08-04-21 03:49 AM

My Round 2 Nom:
Neil Diamond - In Ensenada

Chypmunk 08-04-21 04:36 AM

Still @honeykid and @Thief to vote.... no rush - just over 24 hours left to vote/nominate

honeykid 08-04-21 08:46 AM

Taffy - I Love My Radio - A long forgotten song I just rediscovered a couple of weeks ago. I like it a lot, but I do acknowledge that the chorus does a lot of the lifting here.

Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser - Has this (or something by this band) been nominated before? It feels familiar, but that could just be something about the sound of the band? Anyway, I liked this a lot.

A Perfect Day Elise (demo) - PJ Harvey - I like most of the PJ Harvey I've ever heard, but I never get into her enough to really know her stuff. It's been that way since the 90's when I first heard Mansize and 50ft Queenie (which are both brilliant btw) and I always like a dirty guitar sound.

We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters - I think I like The Carpenters more than I do, but I do love most of the hits, and there are plenty of those, including this one.

DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem - This was OK and if I knew it I'm sure I'd be singing along. But I don't so I wasn't.

Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream - This is OK, but I do think that around 3 minutes was enough for me. There's a couple here that I already know and will finish above this, but atm I'm expecting this to finish mid table with me.

Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano' - A lovely piece of music I'm simply not in the right mood for today. On another day this could be top 4.

The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down - Heaven's not the only thing that's coming down by the sounds of it. I didn't hate it, but it became background music quickly for me.

The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina - Not for me, but I did like the guitar.

Steve Wariner - You Can Dream Of Me - I get the feeling what he calls a dream, I'd call a nightmare.

honeykid 08-04-21 08:59 AM

Round 2 Nom
Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah

Thief 08-04-21 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2226493)
I've been doing these song tournaments for several years now, and I've gotten used to my songs coming in last on a lot of people's lists. I've learned that my taste in music is very different from most people around here, but if one or two people don't hate my noms each round, I consider that a win. :)

Plus, I get to hear a lot of music that I never would have heard without these tournaments, so that's a win too. :up:
I was joking with my comment :laugh: I have no issues with how things turn out, and like you, I appreciate the opportunity to listen/discover new stuff with these things. I'm at a point in my life right now where more often than not, I end up listening to the same things I was listening 20 years ago, instead of exploring new things.

Sedai 08-04-21 12:03 PM

That was @gbgoodies' way of requesting a dozen metal tracks in a row from yours truly! ;) :D

SpelingError 08-04-21 04:51 PM

Round 2

MGMT - Time to Pretend

pahaK 08-04-21 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2226569)
That was @gbgoodies' way of requesting a dozen metal tracks in a row from yours truly! ;) :D
Really? Well, I trust in your ability to read people.

Round 2:
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold

Sedai 08-04-21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2226751)

Round 2:

Muahahahahahaha!

https://i.gifer.com/B2Q2.gif

Thief 08-04-21 06:04 PM

Round 1

1. The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down
2. The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina
4. The Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun
5. PJ Harvey - A Perfect Day Elise (demo)
6. Steve Wariner - You Can Dream of Me
7. Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream
8. Taffy - I Love My Radio
9. Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda del Pianista Sull Oceano'
10. DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem

Just completed a second listen. Ranking aside, there's really nothing I hated. The backend of my list is all very, very close.

Thief 08-04-21 06:21 PM

Some thoughts, from bottom to top...

DMX - "Ruff Ryders Anthem"
This is probably at the bottom only on the basis of me not being much of a rap/hip hop guy. I mean, I like some stuff like Eminem, but it's not a genre I go back to often. Still, I liked the rhythm and the riff, and the energy DMX put to it, even if the vocals seemed at times too unpolished.

Ennio Morricone - "La Leggenda del Pianista Sull Oceano'
It's certainly a lovely tune and I really like all the melodies, but much like rap/hip hop, instrumental and classical music is another "genre" I enjoy a lot, but that I don't really go often to.

Taffy - "I Love My Radio"
I'll admit that on my first listen, I laughed and thought "stupid song" :laugh: But it's certainly an earworm. Very 80s, synth-heavy and peppy, almost to the point of parody, but it's fun.

Meat Beat Manifesto - "Mindstream"
This one started really strong for me. Liked the rhythm and the beat. I'm still beating my head because the singer's voice reminds me of someone that I just can't place, but whatever. Towards the second half of the song, it was feeling a bit repetitive, which put it down a couple of notches for me.

Steve Wariner - "You Can Dream of Me"
This is an inoffensive song. It's cliche, but it's not bad. I like the melodies and it was overall a pleasant listen.

PJ Harvey - "A Perfect Day Elise (demo)"
My wife is a huge fan of PJ Harvey, so I've heard my fair share of songs, even if for some reason, I don't go back often to her. Still, this has pretty much all the markings of her style and I love her voice. I dig it, even though I have slight issues with some of the sound effects she uses, and I think the song lacked a proper climax.

The Carpenters - "We've Only Just Begun"
This was a beautiful song. Even though I grew up in the 80s and 90s, at this point in my life, I find myself digging a lot of 70s stuff. This has a really catchy tune and the dual melodies are really great.

Gentlemans Pistol - "Lady Teaser"
This was definitely my jam. I liked the riff and the rhythm. The voice took a bit to get used to, but loved the music and the way the guitars sounded together.

The Marcus King Band - "Goodbye Carolina"
This was a clear favorite for me as soon as I heard it. Loved the voice, great music, and really dug the way the song builds up. I can see myself listen to this often, or even seeking more of their stuff.

The Tea Party - "Heaven Coming Down"
My choice, obviously. This is a band that an Internet friend recommended to me back in the 90s and this quickly turned into my favorite song of them. Love the singer's grave voice, the melodic guitars and the beat of the drums. It's a song that feels very emotional and haunting. Love it.

Thief 08-04-21 09:50 PM

I'll throw you all a curveball...

Round 2

El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero

gbgoodies 08-05-21 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2226565)
I was joking with my comment :laugh: I have no issues with how things turn out, and like you, I appreciate the opportunity to listen/discover new stuff with these things. I'm at a point in my life right now where more often than not, I end up listening to the same things I was listening 20 years ago, instead of exploring new things.

I also listen to mostly the same music that I've been listening to for years, but that's because most of the music that I like isn't played on the radio in my area. We don't have any country music radio stations anymore, and most of the current country music that I've been able to find is very different from the kind of country music that I grew up listening to. And the radio station's version of "easy listening" music on the radio isn't what I would consider "easy listening" music.

gbgoodies 08-05-21 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2226569)

I guess you like seeing your noms come in last on my list every round. :skeptical:

gbgoodies 08-05-21 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2226751)

Round 2:

It looks like there will be two noms fighting for last place on my list. :rolleyes:

Chypmunk 08-05-21 03:31 AM

All voted so without further ado.....

1st - The Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun (76 pts)

2nd - A Perfect Day Elise (demo) - PJ Harvey (71 pts)
3rd - The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina (67 pts)
4th - Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser (62 pts)
5th - Taffy - I Love My Radio (58 pts)
6th - Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano' (46 pts)
7th - Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream (44 pts)
8th - Steve Wariner - You Can Dream Of Me (43 pts)
9th - The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down (42 pts)
10th - DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem (41 pts)

Grats to Speling on getting the first tune through to the Final :up:

Round two up in about an hour and a half...

SpelingError 08-05-21 03:33 AM

Yay! My nomination won!

It's a good thing I didn't pick that Clive Dunn song Chypmunk hates.

Chypmunk 08-05-21 05:00 AM

All present and correct with Sedai and pahaK also joining us :up:

Chypmunk 08-05-21 06:38 AM

1. The Adults - Nothing To Lose
  2. Elle King - Good Thing Gone
  3. Active Child - Hanging On
  4. YG - My N*gga
  5. Motorhead & Girlschool - Please Don't Touch
  6. Lorde - Green Light
  7. Lorde - Tennis Court
  8. MGMT - Time to Pretend
  9. El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero
  10. Neil Diamond - In Ensenada
  11. Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold
  12. Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah

My R3 nom:
Anjali - Kali Came

*Can y'all pls check the above vid will play where you are (no need to listen to it, just need to know whether it will play or not). If not I'll have to choose another nom as there's no acceptable alt vid for backup (the one from the record label stupidly cuts short). Thanks.

Torgo 08-05-21 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2226881)
Yay! My nomination won!

It's a good thing I didn't pick that Clive Dunn song Chypmunk hates.
Congrats! That Carpenters song was a nice mood-lifter for me on Monday.

"Repetitive" seems to be a common criticism of my song. A lot of my favorite songs have a decent bit of repetition now that I think about it, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum if that's not this gang's cup of tea. Repetition puts me in a state of blissful euphoria when it's done well, which I think Mindstream does.

I'm a little afraid to check out that Clive Dunn song. Should I?

Chypmunk 08-05-21 10:12 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFbrA_P2uu0

Torgo 08-05-21 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2226916)
Well, I actually kinda liked it. :shifty:
I was expecting something as dreadful as Brokencyde's Freaxxx (do NOT listen to this), but I found it rather sweet.

Chypmunk 08-05-21 10:42 AM

Puts black mark against Torgo in the spreadsheet ;)

(it's an ok song, even if rather twee, just a running joke in my house)

Torgo 08-05-21 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2226922)
Puts black mark against Torgo in the spreadsheet ;)
https://i.imgur.com/FgKCrEs.gif

ynwtf 08-05-21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2226892)
*Can y'all pls check the above vid will play where you are (no need to listen to it, just need to know whether it will play or not). If not I'll have to choose another nom as there's no acceptable alt vid for backup (the one from the record label stupidly cuts short). Thanks.
you are appropriating MY southern slang with" y'all." don't see ME throwing things around like.... like..... wtf ever y'all say wherever the hell you are.

but yeah, the link worked for me.

honeykid 08-05-21 11:08 AM

Motorhead & Girlschool - Please Don't Touch - An old favourite which, at first look at this list, will end up on top of my list.

Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah - My last choice was long forgotten whereas this is about as new as I know. Only heard it about a month or so ago. They're a band very much with their own thing going but I just instantly fell for this song the moment I heard it.

Elle King - Good Thing Gone - I couldn't get into this to start with. I don't know why, it just wasn't working for me. But it won me around after a couple of minutes. Makes me think of Janis.

MGMT - Time to Pretend - Straight into this one. No idea if it'll grow or die with repeated listens (it does feel like it'll be one of the other) but for now I like it.

The Adults - Nothing To Lose - I like this. It's a good start. :up:

Active Child - Hanging On - I liked this a lot more before the vocals. I think as an instrumental piece I'd prefer it.

Lorde - Green Light - This is pretty good. Really like the chorus.

YG - My N*gga - It's a nice groove, but that's all. Really repetative (which isn't a bad thing per se) but when it's just one word, it can be troublesome.

El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero - I like this kind of thing when it starts, but am often ready for it to stop by the end. No different here.

Lorde - Tennis Court - Two Lorde song on this list. I've not listened to her before so this is all new to me. I prefer the other one.

Neil Diamond - In Ensenada - I quite like Neil Diamond because my mum liked him so I heard him in the 70's, early 80's. I find his voice familiar and comforting but this isn't one that I really like.

Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold - As is often the case with this kind of track, I like the guitar and drums but the vocal kills it for me. If I could just get past that there's a whole new genre open to me. :(

Chypmunk 08-05-21 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2226927)
you are appropriating MY southern slang with" y'all." don't see ME throwing things around like.... like..... wtf ever y'all say wherever the hell you are.
Tell you what, you can have usage of our 'animal', as in "Jaysus, it's feckin' animal in there!" for somewhere that's really busy.

but yeah, the link worked for me.
Ta, appresh!

honeykid 08-05-21 11:11 AM

Round 3 nomination

Azealia Banks - 212 FT. Lazy Jay

Sedai 08-05-21 11:26 AM

Round 2 RANKS

1. Lorde - Green Light
2. MGMT - Time to Pretend
4. Elle King - Good Thing Gone
5. Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold
6. Lorde - Tennis Court
7. Motorhead & Girlschool - Please Don't Touch
8. The Adults - Nothing To Lose
9. El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero
11. Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah
12. YG - My N*gga

No time for comments today, as I am super busy at work. Not that I would ever listen to songs or chat on MoFo at work, mind you! Nope. Not me.

Chyp - I can play the Anjali vid.

Chypmunk 08-05-21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2226935)
Chyp - I can play the Anjali vid.
Ta, appresh!

SpelingError 08-05-21 11:49 AM

I'll submit my ballot later this evening. I'm a bit busy for most of today.

SpelingError 08-05-21 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2226915)
Congrats! That Carpenters song was a nice mood-lifter for me on Monday.

"Repetitive" seems to be a common criticism of my song. A lot of my favorite songs have a decent bit of repetition now that I think about it, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum if that's not this gang's cup of tea. Repetition puts me in a state of blissful euphoria when it's done well, which I think Mindstream does.

I'm a little afraid to check out that Clive Dunn song. Should I?
I thought your nomination was pretty good. I generally like repetition if I enjoy the tune or lyric which is being repeated, and I liked the tune of your song, so I enjoyed your song a decent bit. My nomination for this round has some repetition as well. I suppose that might turn some people off, but I'll see how it goes.

CaptainT 08-05-21 12:02 PM

Round 3 nomination:

Mother Mother - Oh Ana

Torgo 08-05-21 01:06 PM

Round 2:

1. The Adults - Nothing to Lose
2. Elle King - Good Thing Gone
4. El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero
5. Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah
6. Neil Diamond - In Ensenada
8. MGMT - Time to Pretend
9. Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold
10. YG - My N*gga
11. Lorde - Green Light
12. Lorde - Tennis Court

I'm not a Lorde fan, obviously.
EDIT: Fixed the song title for #11.

Torgo 08-05-21 01:07 PM

Round 3:

Here's something that rocks for a change:

Fields of the Nephilim - Preacher Man

jiraffejustin 08-05-21 03:08 PM

1. YG - My N*gga
2. MGMT - Time to Pretend
3. Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah
4. El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero
5. Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold
6. Elle King - Good Thing Gone
8. Active Child - Hanging On
9. The Adults - Nothing To Lose
11. Lorde - Tennis Court
12. Lorde - Green Light

jiraffejustin 08-05-21 03:11 PM

Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools

Folks outside of America might have to use a different version, maybe somebody can check for me.

Chypmunk 08-05-21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2227036)
Folks outside of America might have to use a different version, maybe somebody can check for me.
Plays ok here jj.

Thief 08-05-21 05:41 PM

I haven't listened to the new ones but, for what it's worth, I've had the "Lady Teaser" riff stuck in my mind all day.

pahaK 08-05-21 05:50 PM

01: Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold
02: Lorde - Green Light
03: Active Child - Hanging On
04: Lorde - Tennis Court
05: Elle King - Good Thing Gone
06: Neil Diamond - In Ensenada
07: Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah
08: Motorhead & Girlschool - Please Don't Touch
09: The Adults - Nothing To Lose
10: El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero
11: MGMT - Time to Pretend
99: YG - My N*gga

Captain Spaulding 08-05-21 07:57 PM

Round 2

1. Motorhead & Girlschool - Please Don't Touch
2. YG - My N*gga
3. Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold
4. The Adults - Nothing to Lose
5. Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah
6. Elle King - Good Thing Gone
7. Lorde - Tennis Court
8. Neil Diamond - In Ensenada
9. MGMT - Time to Pretend
10. Active Child - Hanging On
11. Lorde - Green Light
12. El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero

Captain Spaulding 08-05-21 08:05 PM

Round 3 nom:
Sparks - The Final Derriere

SpelingError 08-05-21 11:40 PM

I'll submit my ballot tomorrow.

jiraffejustin 08-06-21 01:41 AM

@Captain Spaulding I'm kinda surprised you had the YG track so high

gbgoodies 08-06-21 02:23 AM

All voted so without further ado.....

1st - The Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun (76 pts)

Grats to Speling on getting the first tune through to the Final :up:

Congratulations @SpelingError! :up:

gbgoodies 08-06-21 03:34 AM

1) Neil Diamond - In Ensenada
2) Elle King - Good Thing Gone
3) Active Child - Hanging On
4) Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah
5) El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero
6) Lorde - Tennis Court
7) Lorde - Green Light
8) MGMT - Time to Pretend
9) The Adults - Nothing To Lose
10) Motorhead & Girlschool - Please Don't Touch
11) YG - My N*gga
12) Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold

Swan 08-06-21 03:35 AM

Hey, long time no see music competition thread.

gbgoodies 08-06-21 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2226892)
My R3 nom:
Anjali - Kali Came

Yes, the video plays here. :up:

gbgoodies 08-06-21 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2227036)
Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools

This video plays here, but I'm in New York, so you might need help from someone else.