Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MoFo Fantasy Football 2013 - Draft Time and Settings (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=32609)

Yoda 08-11-13 12:46 PM

Re: MoFo Fantasy Football 2013 - Draft Time and Settings

I know I've said this before, but one of the best things about having 14 teams (other than forcing everyone to look well beyond the stud players, obviously) is that everybody plays everybody else exactly once in the regular season, which is perfect.

That, and it lets you do 6 playoff teams (less than half, but not way less, whereas with twelve teams 4 feels like too few and 6 feels like too much), which lets you do bye weeks. Really excellent setup, schedule-wise.

Yoda 08-11-13 12:48 PM

Just a friendly reminder, as well, to visit the league site this morning and test-load the draft room in advance. If you have problems, trying to load it in another browser often helps.

Sleezy 08-11-13 01:17 PM

Yeah, definitely do that. I tried to do a Mock Draft and found that I couldn't load the draft app. Thankfully it's resolved now. Google Chrome seems to work nicely and make sure you have Adobe Flash updated.

Yoda 08-11-13 02:06 PM

Draft order's up. I'm near the end again. :laugh: We'll see how it turns out.

Yoda 08-11-13 02:13 PM

Just over 15 minutes! Almost everybody's in. I know TONGO was thinking of letting it autodraft, though assuming the Boston group (Mike/LT/Pete) all make it, that'd be either 13 or 14. Awesome!

TONGO 08-11-13 03:54 PM

Probably the sloppiest draft I ever did lol! THANK GOD Tabitha took Lynch as I wasnt there and still got Muscle Hamster. Hooha!

Yoda 08-11-13 03:56 PM

Well, every single owner showed up at one point or another. First time ever, I think. Thanks everyone! Should be a fun season.

Yoda 08-11-13 04:11 PM

Homer tab!

Seds: 0 (!) Pats.
LT: 2 Pats.
Fiscal: 3 Falcons (two starters).
PW: 0 Seahawks! Probably because of...
Tabithia: 6 Seahawks (all starters)!
TONGO: 3 Bucs (all starters).
Yoda: 1 Steeler.
Sleezy: 3 Vikings (all starters).
Pete: 3 Pats (two starters).
Dusty: 3 Packers (two starters).

One note about the above: the majority of these teams have their hometown kicker, which is admittedly less consequential.

Yoda 08-11-13 04:15 PM

I actually don't know who sean and jiraffe like. Who ya' got gentlemen?

Only other two are Dex (Canadian) and Dionne (mixed allegiance, more dedicated to Peyton Manning than any one team), who seem to defy the homer thing altogether.

Fiscal 08-11-13 07:31 PM

I had my least favorite draft position which had me reaching in places and choices I didn't like in others. It was a fun draft, though - and I have some home team support which will prevent some Sunday headaches.

jiraffejustin 08-11-13 07:34 PM

I'm a Cowboy fan, but homerism didn't play into my draft picks. I got 2 of them. I love Longhorn players. I drafted two former Longhorns. I didn't really want to draft Miles Austin, but where I got him at I feel it was worth it. And to be fair, I was really wanting to draft Romo, but he was taken earlier in the same round that I was going to pick him.

Sleezy 08-11-13 08:29 PM

Yeah, first time I've drafted #1 overall. I prefer drafting in the middle somewhere, so you have a more consistent shot at players. I had to reach on a few as a result. Will likely be open to trades.

7thson 08-11-13 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 939060)

Only other two are Dex (Canadian) and Dionne (mixed allegiance, more dedicated to Peyton Manning than any one team), who seem to defy the homer thing altogether.
I am a Steelers fan first and a Colt and Broncos fan next. When Manning went to the Broncos it was awesome for me in that regard. Manning (not injured) always puts up points overall. It makes for a fun season as well as possible fireworks or down right gutter ball - I love the roller-coaster.

Yoda 08-11-13 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sleezy (Post 939402)
Yeah, first time I've drafted #1 overall. I prefer drafting in the middle somewhere, so you have a more consistent shot at players. I had to reach on a few as a result. Will likely be open to trades.
Yeah, I agree. Drafting in the middle gives you the best chance to capitalize on any players who fall too far. At the ends, you pretty much have to reach on people you know won't come back around, and any steals that fall to you are incidental.

Plus, from what I've read higher draft picks are just more valuable in general; the snake format doesn't totally mitigate it.

I've had rotten luck on that front, drafting at or near the back in 5 of the 6 years we've had this league now.

DexterRiley 08-11-13 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 939060)

I don't really have 1 favourite team. I only started watching the NFL when Warren Moon left to play for the Oilers. There are certain teams that play a run-n-gun CFL style that i prefer to watch absolutely.

Superbowl pick would be Falcons vs Texans (Falcons win).

seanc 08-11-13 09:33 PM

I'm a Bills fan and did take Stevie Johnson. I'm looking forward to the season. This is prob the deepest league I have been in.

jiraffejustin 08-11-13 09:39 PM

I've only ever played in 8 team leagues...so this league is WAY deeper than anyone I've ever been in. I really like my team though.

Fiscal 08-11-13 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 939504)
Superbowl pick would be Falcons vs Texans (Falcons win).
My man.

Yoda 08-11-13 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 939559)
I've only ever played in 8 team leagues...so this league is WAY deeper than anyone I've ever been in. I really like my team though.
Wow, really? Even 10 team leagues feel weird to me. I played in one 8 team league for a single year and it was so bizarre.

seanc 08-11-13 10:00 PM

8 does feel weird but just creates the opposite problem. You feel like your team is stacked and you still get beat. I am used to 10 or 12. In the middle rounds of our draft I was like, "where are all the RB?"