Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Post movies that offended you (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=38028)

mlaturno 12-04-14 01:13 PM

Post movies that offended you

I'm not particularly dainty, but Gangster Squad bothered me. Police should be held to the highest standards, and to romanticize cops taking the law into their own hands when the LAPD in particular have such a history of corruption was really wrong to me. And that's beside it just being overall a terrible movie.

matt72582 12-04-14 03:30 PM

Re: Post movies that offended you

Movies that are awful offend me.. I don't care for stereotypes much either, but I still love The Godfather.. I got into a discussion about this with my professor. As if that's what's holding minorities back.

ashdoc 12-04-14 03:34 PM

Indiana Jones and the temple of doom .

My countrymen ( I am an Indian ) were shown to be crude and barbaric savages .

copy/paste

The most disgusting scene of the movie and which made me scream out of indignation was a dinner scene at the Pankot palace of Bhanpur. In this scene, 1st dish to be served was “snake surprise”. A huge boa was served and when its stomach was cut lots of little snakes crawled out and people aka Indians ate that. Then next on menu were beetles whose shells Indians cracked and slurped the insides with the heroine (Kate Capshaw) gaping at them and ready to puke. Are you too feeling gross? Wait, there’s more. Then the heroine asked for soup seeing such food and she was served soup with eyeballs in it. The dessert was a monkey’s head on a cup with head split and Indians eating its brain with spoon just like icecream.

matt72582 12-04-14 04:34 PM

Really tired of racism towards Middle Eastern people and the Russians (again)..

The thing that offends me the most is the condescending filmmakers who think we're too stupid for a great film.

90sAce 12-04-14 04:43 PM

Machete annoyed me a little because I got a vibe from it that it was pro-illegal immigration, but overall I enjoyed the movie and it was so cheesy (in a good way) that it wasn't meant to be taken that seriously

Chicago's also annoyed me since the protagonist gets away with murder and has little to no redeeming qualities to make the viewer sympathize with them (unless it was meant to pander strictly to angry feminists) - I have a feeling if the film was about a husband murdering his cheating wife and then getting off the hook, it would be a lot more politically incorrect

Avatar also annoyed and amused me - aside from being a mediocre movie with the 3D special effects being the only thing that stood out, it was just the same rehashed "Captain Planet"-esque vibe ("noble Savages vs big bad imperialists) which has been done to death in every film from Dances with Wolves to Disney's Pocahontas. Yeah we get that aggressive colonialism is wrong, but talk about beating a dead horse people... lol

What amused me though is the fact that it was likely made with the "bleeding heart liberal" demographic in mind, yet it was produced by News Corporation (the same company which owns Fox News).

mark f 12-04-14 05:03 PM

Chicago is based on a true story and was filmed before in 1927 and then in 1942 as Roxie Hart. The results of the story were the same.

90sAce 12-04-14 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1214218)
Chicago is based on a true story and was filmed before in 1927 and then in 1942 as Roxie Hart. The results of the story were the same.
Still doesn't make it enjoyable. Don't have a problem with the killer "winning" if they're a deep or interesting character (films like The Godfather, or TV shows like the Sopranos come to mind) - the character in the film Chicago though was very uninteresting and hard to empathize with

cricket 12-04-14 05:39 PM

I am not easily offended, and there's only one movie I can think of that has ever offended me: Once Upon a Time in America. It's been a while so I don't remember that good, but what I recall is that I didn't like it's portrayal of women. I watch a lot of movies with rape, but for whatever reason, this one rubbed me the wrong way. I also know that Jennifer Connelly was like 13 when this movie was made, and I seem to remember this movie showing her in some sort of sexual way. There was also a scene that showed a baby spread eagle fully nude, and I remember thinking, what a pedophile's dream. On top of all that, I thought the movie was a mess; very disappointing given my love for gangster movies.

The Gunslinger45 12-04-14 05:41 PM

I have seen some messed up movies, but it is hard to say I am offended by any movies. Now I have been pissed off by a movie, but none really come to mind that really offend me.

Gideon58 12-04-14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1214236)
I have seen some messed up movies, but it is hard to say I am offended by any movies. Now I have been pissed off by a movie, but none really come to mind that really offend me.
I have to agree with you Gunslinger...I think there are films that may have insulted my intelligence, but I can't think of a film offhand that actually offended me...very interesting question.

The Gunslinger45 12-04-14 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 1214243)
I have to agree with you Gunslinger...I think there are films that may have insulted my intelligence, but I can't think of a film offhand that actually offended me...very interesting question.
And then there are certain movies that while COULD offend me, are handled in such a way I have to scream WTF did I just watch and my confusion kills any chance of being insulted.

Swan 12-04-14 06:04 PM

Alien vs. Predator. How dare they treat xenomorphs as cattle?

TokeZa 12-04-14 06:26 PM

I think the only film that personally offended me was A Woman under the Influence!

I wrote a long rant about that in the Hall of Fame thread...

The Gunslinger45 12-04-14 06:56 PM

On second thought there is one movie that I can say comes the closest to offending me, but it mostly just REALLY pisses me off. And that is Birth of a Nation. Now I know DW Griffith helped create the grammar of cinema and helped pioneer what film and movie making is today, but the movie was a glorification of the Ku Klux Klan. And organization that makes me suffer from a certain medical condition known as ITF or "Itchy Trigger Finger." And to try and prop these dudes up does piss me off to no end.

Gatsby 12-04-14 06:59 PM

Jack and Jill by Adam Sandler was so horrible it offended me.

Cobpyth 12-04-14 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 90sAce (Post 1214207)
Chicago's also annoyed me since the protagonist gets away with murder and has little to no redeeming qualities to make the viewer sympathize with them (unless it was meant to pander strictly to angry feminists) - I have a feeling if the film was about a husband murdering his cheating wife and then getting off the hook, it would be a lot more politically incorrect.
The cynical message about the immorality of showbusiness must've gone over your head if you really think this movie validated the murders.

And what Mark said.

Citizen Rules 12-04-14 07:52 PM

I don't have a particular movie in mind but I vehemently object to animal cruelty in a film.

The Gunslinger45 12-04-14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1214294)
I don't have a particular movie in mind but I vehemently object to animal cruelty in a film.
Don't watch Cannibal Holocaust. Or anything with Cannibal in the title and is from Italy.

Cobpyth 12-04-14 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1214232)
I am not easily offended, and there's only one movie I can think of that has ever offended me: Once Upon a Time in America.
:eek:

OK, let's read the reasons first. :p

It's been a while so I don't remember that good, but what I recall is that I didn't like it's portrayal of women. I watch a lot of movies with rape, but for whatever reason, this one rubbed me the wrong way.
I thought it was one of the most effective and morally confrontational rape scenes I've ever seen in a film. It exposes De Niro's wrong way of thinking (because of the environment he was brought up in and lived in for his whole life), his "gangster mind". The scene is filmed in such a way that it is shocking to the audience, which is exactly what it should be. So, I personally don't really see how this scene could've rubbed you the wrong way. Maybe it was because you felt that you should sympathize with De Niro's character because he's the protagonist, but that only contributed to the shock of the action, in my opinion.

I also know that Jennifer Connelly was like 13 when this movie was made, and I seem to remember this movie showing her in some sort of sexual way.
She's shown in a sensual and seductive way in the context of a young infatuation. I happen to hink her scenes are beautiful and very innocent. There's of course that one scene where we see her character's backside naked, but that was a body double (if that makes you feel any better about it) and the scene is nevertheless very tastefully and gallantly done, in my opinion.

There was also a scene that showed a baby spread eagle fully nude, and I remember thinking, what a pedophile's dream. On top of all that, I thought the movie was a mess; very disappointing given my love for gangster movies.
Oh come on. It's a baby. Is the cover for Nirvana's Nevermind also a pedophile's dream then? :p

I can understand however if you found the film to be a mess stucturally. If the way the story is told doesn't fit you, that's subjective.

It was one of the greatest film experiences I ever had, though (as you can see in my top 10) and that's why I felt like I should defend it a little here. ;)

vasilios1991 12-06-14 07:25 AM

Do the Right Thing (1989)
Very stereotypical and racist towards Italians.