Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Avengers: Age of Ultron (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=27968)

n3wt 03-08-12 03:30 PM

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Joss Whedon on 'Avengers 2': 'It needs to be smaller, more personal'

Joss Whedon has said that a sequel to The Avengers would need to be "smaller" and "more personal"

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator told SFX that he doesn't want a follow-up to "rehash" what worked in the first film.

Asked how Avengers 2 could top next month's superhero blockbuster, Whedon responded: "By not trying to. By being smaller. More personal, more painful.

"By being the next thing that should happen to these characters, and not just a rehash of what seemed to work the first time. By having a theme that is completely fresh and organic to itself."

Whedon joked that a sequel could take heed from crime classic The Godfather II "by having flashbacks to young Michael Andolini escaping Sicily to come to New York, where he will be called Corleone".

"Sequels are always better when that happens," he quipped.

Whedon added that he has strived to give each character in The Avengers, which brings together Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Hulk, enough screen time to see "what makes them awesome".

"I want to know what makes them tick, what makes them flawed, what makes them fight - and ultimately, what makes them awesome," he explained. "I go to these movies for those moments when the heroes define themselves, either through action or deliciously overwritten speeches."

The Avengers (titled Marvel Avengers Assemble in the UK) opens in cinemas this April with Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Scarlett Johansson leading the cast.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...-personal.html

Sedai 03-08-12 03:53 PM

Re: The Avengers 2

If Joss builds it, they will come....

n3wt 03-09-12 07:23 AM

Very true :yup: :up:

TheUsualSuspect 03-09-12 02:55 PM

It should be interesting to see if they bring Whedon back for the second. Have to wait and see how the first does.

jrs 06-17-14 08:28 PM

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Release Date: May 1, 2015
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
Director: Joss Whedon
Screenwriter: Joss Whedon
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Samuel L. Jackson, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, James Spader, Cobie Smulders, Thomas Kretschmann, Paul Bettany

jrs 06-17-14 08:30 PM

The Avengers: Age of Ultron Set Video: Thor, Captain America & Iron Man In Action

A video from the set of The Avengers: Age of Ultron has made its way online, and it shows director Joss Whedon conducting a scene with Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans and Robert Downey, Jr. It's kinda cool. :p

The Avengers: Age of Ultron hits theaters May 1st, 2015.

Source: Cinemablend

jrs 06-18-14 12:20 AM

At least change the thread name to The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Sam250 06-18-14 09:26 PM

I am still super excited about it. In fact, it is easily my most anticipated movie of the moment. Yet, I cannot tell if this is going to be any good. It could go both ways.

Whedon's comments to the Huffington Press (still can't post links...) make me hopeful:

"People have made it very clear that they are fed up with movies where entire cities are destroyed, and then we celebrate," Whedon said, recognizing that of all of those things crashing into other things is an attempt to harness somewhat newly found visual effects.

"Now, I watched 'The Dark Knight' and I thought of that as riffing on the genre," he said. "That was a superhero movie as 'The Godfather.' And I was like, 'But I just still want to see a superhero movie!' We had just gotten the technology to make it awesome, and I wasn't ready to be post-modern about it yet."

There is an inherent clash that characterizes the genre, and Whedon is tapped into that discordance more so than the use of CGI. "You're in a constant state of being pulled both ways at all times," he said, "You're trying to make a populist film with fascist iconography that is just bigger, and better, and longer, and trying to break that down and find a weakness and humanity."

Ultimately, what Whedon finds important in his work (and what we will see in "Avengers: Age of Ultron" which he wrote and is currently filming in the U.K.) is that emphasis on humanity.

"People come in with a certain amount of emotional baggage," he said, "So, whether we're in our larvae stage or our decadent stage, I can't really say, but I try to make my superhero movies as if there's either never been one or there's only ever been them. I work with the idea that it's just a natural way for people to be, so that you still make a movie about people."
I feel it could be everything we love about superhero films but also more mature, human and powerful (also with a cool villain) and thus basically the best conventional superhero movie ever made , or it could be the disappointing sequel but now with some unconvincing melodrama or awkward character development. I mean, is this going to be Whedon at his best or Whedon at his mid-life crisis?

I wonder if he will stick with this for number 3.

Voigan 06-19-14 03:18 PM

"I want to know what makes them tick, what makes them flawed, what makes them fight - and ultimately, what makes them awesome," he explained. "I go to these movies for those moments when the heroes define themselves, either through action or deliciously overwritten speeches."

I hope this doesn't mean they're going for a gloomy, dark movie where the heroes spend 90% of their screentime brooding ala Man of Steel. The dark and realistic tone works with characters like Batman but I can't see Thor, the Hulk, or Iron Man pulling it off. I don't mind Marvel going for movies that are smaller in scale and more character driven as long as they don't overdo it.

n3wt 06-20-14 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by jrs (Post 1106225)
At least change the thread name to The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
I did try... Dont think it worked tho :shrug:

jrs 06-20-14 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by n3wt (Post 1107337)
I did try... Dont think it worked tho :shrug:
Nick you have to be a mod. LOL...I don't think though any of them are paying attention though.

n3wt 06-20-14 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jrs (Post 1107375)
Nick you have to be a mod. LOL...I don't think though any of them are paying attention though.
Ahh :rotfl: I have seen its changed now. I went back to the original post and thought you could change it there.

Yoda 06-20-14 10:29 AM

Re: The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Aye, we're paying attention. In this case the thread was a duplicate, so I merged it with the existing one (don't forget to search!). Merges pick the original title by default, so it was changed after.

Anyway, carry on and all that. :)

jrs 06-20-14 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda=
Aye, we're paying attention. In this case the thread was a duplicate, so I merged it with the existing one (don't forget to search!). Merges pick the original title by default, so it was changed after.

Anyway, carry on and all that. :)
I did search. There was no "Avengers: Age of Ultron" so I made a new thread. Didn't bother looking for an "Avengers 2" at the moment. My mistake.....thanks though Chris for changing it. :)

jrs 06-20-14 07:29 PM

ComicCon Teaser

n3wt 06-21-14 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by jrs (Post 1107595)
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...in-excited.gif

doubledenim 06-21-14 06:05 AM

Looking forward to hearing Spader's first line as Ultron

LiaBens 06-21-14 06:44 AM

Here is some fan made posters below. Hop you will like.

http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/13793...=419&l=50&t=40

LiaBens 06-21-14 06:46 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeolsW4CIAAY_Xh.jpg

LiaBens 06-21-14 06:48 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcjVe8WCUAAyJN9.jpg