Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How are your DVDs organized? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=23116)

rauldc14 07-14-10 11:43 PM

How are your DVDs organized?

What do you keep your DVD's on or where do you keep your DVD's? Do you organize them? If so, how?

Mine are just on 2 DVD stands at the moment. I used to have mine rated from most favorite to least favorite, but when I moved back from college I have put all the recently watched ones on the top in order of when I watched them. Then, the next time I watch one I'll know the types of movies that I've been watching just so I can mix it up.

Cries&Whispers 07-14-10 11:49 PM

Cool thread, I'm obsessed with organizing my DVD's and I'm interested to know if others are the same way. I organize mine in three sections. The first is regular movies, and I line them up on a large bookshelf in alphabetical order according to the titles. That's for about three rows, six feet each. The second section is documentaries and concert DVD's. They are also arranged in alpha order and take up about one shelf. The last section is Criterion Collection and very special edition or rare DVD's, which I rank in alphabetical order according to director. The last shelf is a bunch of VHS's for movies I love that either haven't been released on DVD or aren't of a compatible region.

My family and friends think I'm REALLY strange because of this. I don't usually like people borrowing my DVD's, but when they do I have to put them back myself, or I'll feel weird.

rauldc14 07-14-10 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cries&Whispers (Post 641199)
Cool thread, I'm obsessed with organizing my DVD's and I'm interested to know if others are the same way. I organize mine in three sections. The first is regular movies, and I line them up on a large bookshelf in alphabetical order according to the titles. That's for about three rows, six feet each. The second section is documentaries and concert DVD's. They are also arranged in alpha order and take up about one shelf. The last section is Criterion Collection and very special edition or rare DVD's, which I rank in alphabetical order according to director. The last shelf is a bunch of VHS's for movies I love that either haven't been released on DVD or aren't of a compatible region.

My family and friends think I'm REALLY strange because of this. I don't usually like people borrowing my DVD's, but when they do I have to put them back myself, or I'll feel weird.

Good to know that I'm not the only one OBSESSED with organizing them. I'll probably revert back to Favorite to least favorite soon, or maybe switch it up and go by year or alphabetical

Cries&Whispers 07-15-10 12:03 AM

This is the main reason why I will always prefer DVD's to streaming movies through Netflix or owning digital copies on a computer or TV, or whatever the future holds--(and it will most likely not be DVD or Blu-ray.) I love physically having the movies, lining them up to choose from them, seeing the cover art on the cases, having special features, collecting them, etc... I hope DVD's never go out.

Juno MacGuff 07-15-10 01:22 AM

Re: How are your DVD's organized?

I have a leather bound book that holds my DVD's. I don't really have any order. They are just all in there.

WBadger 07-15-10 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cries&Whispers (Post 641207)
This is the main reason why I will always prefer DVD's to streaming movies through Netflix or owning digital copies on a computer or TV, or whatever the future holds--(and it will most likely not be DVD or Blu-ray.) I love physically having the movies, lining them up to choose from them, seeing the cover art on the cases, having special features, collecting them, etc... I hope DVD's never go out.
Exactly, I get depressed thinking about just having movies on a hard drive....

Anyway, I have my movies organized my director, and then after that by genre and within the genre and director they are alphabetical

Once I get a lot more movies though almost all will just be in director categories.

Holden Pike 07-15-10 02:06 AM

By weight.

Rhoten 07-15-10 02:10 AM

I organised them in an alphabetical order. I have like 5 shelves of dvds and another 9 shelves for VHS, one half a shelf for Blu-ray. And yes i am a freak. Next question! lol

Miss Vicky 07-15-10 03:47 AM

My DVD collection is very hap-hazardly arranged in mostly alphabetical order. Since I couldn't find space in any one particular spot (my house is rather small and I have too much stuff in general) for the entire collection, it's divided into several sections. A through most of M of my live-action movie collection are in one room, the rest of my live-action movies are in another room and in a third room I have my television shows, concerts, and animation.

My collection is too spread out to really make selecting a movie by looking at them to be very practical and I'm much too anal about my collection to ever put them in one of those binders. So I put together a sort of rudimentary online database of my collection:

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...MainIndex.html

I guess insomnia does have its uses.

n3wt 07-15-10 05:45 AM

I used to have my dvds in two book shelves but the last house we lived in was very damp, and were very lucky that the dvds were not ruined as the back of the book shelves were so wet and mouldy and this happened in just 4 months :facepalm: But in our new house I have got them all piled up against a wall in our bedroom :)

I have a kind of order that they are in, going from left to right I have my Horror movies in afew piles, followed by Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller, then Comedy and then finally all my tv shows. They are in two piles Comedy, Sci-Fi and then Animated :)

mistique 07-15-10 06:21 AM

At the moment I don't really have my dvds organized, except that all my Woody Allen movies are next to each other in chronological order. Besides that they are all over my room, on shelfs, in a shopping basket, on a small table, on the floor and not least a pile on top of my dvd player.

But hopefully I'll be moving to my first apartment this weekend, and then I hope to get some lovely book shelfs, where I can organize them in genres, and some by director.

Caitlyn 07-19-10 12:48 PM

Mine are pretty much in alphabetical order in plastic boxes... for now.

karibou 07-20-10 02:03 AM

My entertainment unit (schlocky wood, but pretty enough) has two small closed cabinets with hubby's ugly DVDs.

The open shelves showcase my lovely boxed DVDs. I try to keep things arranged by the colors of the cases & boxes. :p

Juno MacGuff 07-20-10 02:08 AM

Re: How are your DVDs organized?

I have tried to organize mine from alphabetical order to released years and they always seem to get mixed up after a short period of time.

rauldc14 07-20-10 02:12 AM

I'm thinking of going alphabetically with mine soon, but who knows. I am very peculiar when it comes to these sort of things:p

Juno MacGuff 07-20-10 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 643910)
I'm thinking of going alphabetically with mine soon, but who knows. I am very peculiar when it comes to these sort of things:p
The hard thing about ABC order is when you get a new one you have to move all the others one space to make the new one fit.

Shabutie 07-20-10 02:21 AM

DVDs? :down:

Blu-ray Discs? :yup:

Juno MacGuff 07-20-10 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 643925)
DVDs? :down:

Blu-ray Discs? :yup:
I agree Blu Ray is where it is at, but are you telling me you are willing to replace all your DVD's prior to Blu Ray just to have Blu Ray? That would be quite costly.

Miss Vicky 07-20-10 02:26 AM

Blu Ray's overrated. I refuse to make the switch until I have to.

Harry Lime 07-21-10 01:50 AM

My DVDs are not organized, been putting that off for a long time.