Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Samoan Lawyer attempts to review (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=34525)

the samoan lawyer 01-20-14 05:57 AM

The Samoan Lawyer attempts to review

Ok folks, so as described in the title, these will be my attempts at reviews, they wont be very good but ive no experience whatsoever at anything like this so please excuse many mistakes.

Also, any feedback is welcome, negative or positive.

Cheers.

Reviewed so far:

Bad Lieutenant
Repulsion
Drive
The Tenant
Get Carter
To Catch a Thief
Night of the Hunter
Hour of the Wolf
Falling Down
Rosemary's Baby
Sorry, Wrong Number
A'Linterieur
Black Christmas
Funny Games
In Cold Blood
Les Diaboliques
Straw Dogs
A Woman Under the Influence
Shock Corridor
Take Shelter
The Exterminating Angel

the samoan lawyer 01-20-14 05:58 AM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...4rChzR4GPwNsQ9

Bad Lieutenant (1992)

“I’m Sorry, Lord. I’ve done so many bad things”

Harvey Keitel expertly plays ‘The Lieutenant’, the cop trying to investigate the rape of a young nun whilst simultaneously battling his own demons, including drug and gambling addiction.

The film opens with an illustration of how irresponsible and corrupt The Lieutenant actually is and the more we witness, the more harrowing things become.

Bad Lieutenant almost becomes a character study of Keitel as we observe his erratic and out of control behaviour. His rollercoaster of emotions eventually leading to him begging for forgiveness for his sins in possibly the most moving, emotionally charged scene in the movie.

Director Abel Ferrara’s raw, nihilistic portrayal is intense, engrossing and extremely sombre yet leaves you wanting to feel a hint of sympathy for a man besieged with deviance.

P.s not to be confused with the 2009 film of the same name starring Nicolas Cage.

+

seanc 01-20-14 10:23 AM

Re: The Samoan Lawyer attempts to review

Have never watched either version of Bad Lieutenant. Is Cage's version a remake?

cricket 01-20-14 10:25 AM

Nothing wrong with that review at all; better than what I could do. I also really liked that movie because I could relate to the character. Because of that, I could feel his despair.

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-20-14 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1020357)
Have never watched either version of Bad Lieutenant. Is Cage's version a remake?
Yep, the original is better.

Nice review, Lawyer.:up:

cricket 01-20-14 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1020357)
It's not a remake; I guess it's considered a sequel, but one has nothing to do with the other as far as continuity. Cage's version is more of a dark comedy; it's really pretty good.

cricket 01-20-14 10:31 AM

According to Wiki, it's not a remake or a sequel, but a rethought, whatever that means.

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-20-14 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1020361)
I guess it's considered a sequel, but one has nothing to do with the other as far as continuity.
:confused:

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-20-14 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1020362)
According to Wiki, it's not a remake or a sequel, but a rethought, whatever that means.

Perhaps Blade Runner 2 is a rethought, hopefully Ridley Scott's last.:D

the samoan lawyer 01-20-14 10:52 AM

Cheers folks, yeah ive heard the Cage version is neither a remake nor a sequel whatever that means. Really enjoyed this one though. Im gonna try and get a few more up asap. Also would love to get a top 100 completed but im useless at ranking films so it would take forever. who knows, maybe some day.

mark f 01-20-14 10:54 AM

I liked the Cage one WAY more. :) Get some more up.

the samoan lawyer 01-20-14 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1020369)
I liked the Cage one WAY more. :) Get some more up.
REally? Did you not like this one Mark?

cricket 01-20-14 11:13 AM

I also enjoyed the Cage version more, but I felt a connection to the first one.

Keep in mind, the 1st is a dark drama, the 2nd is a dark comedy.

mark f 01-20-14 11:19 AM

Keitel is pretty great, but I do have some problems with Ferrara's "take no prisoners" script and technique, although they're undoubtedly what gives it a cult and your rating. :)

The Gunslinger45 01-20-14 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1020362)
It means Wernor Herzog made his version of Bad Lieutenant without seeing the original.

the samoan lawyer 01-21-14 05:11 AM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...BPy9AktBjsJLEc

Repulsion (1965)

Directed by Roman Polanski, this is the first film in what was to become known as ‘The Apartment Trilogy’ along with Rosemary’s Baby and The Tenant.

Filmed in London, it tells the story of Carol, played by Catherine Deneuve, who has moved in with her older sister Helen. In a truly unforgettable performance we watch Carol’s paranoia spiral out of control after her sister leaves the apartment for a few days.

It leaves the viewer not knowing exactly what is real and what is purely imaginative in the claustrophobic, sexually repressed mind of Carol

For me, this is one of the best horror films I have watched and what makes it even more shocking is knowing that it was released to the public almost 50 years ago.

A haunting, psychological masterpiece.

Daniel M 01-21-14 10:57 AM

Bad Lieutenant and Repulsion look like two movies that I'd love. Nice reviews :)

the samoan lawyer 01-21-14 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1020827)
Bad Lieutenant and Repulsion look like two movies that I'd love. Nice reviews :)
Cheers Daniel, im sure you'd enjoy them both.

cricket 01-21-14 03:06 PM

I fell asleep a half hour into Repulsion; I will give it another go.

mark f 01-21-14 03:12 PM

Preferably when you need another good sleep. :)