Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Digesting So Many Movies In Short Time = Problem? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=66302)

matt72582 06-17-22 05:31 PM

Digesting So Many Movies In Short Time = Problem?

The one positive thing of modern-life is that you don't need to be a millionaire to watch thousands of movies. Even renting them cost money. Now, you can go on YouTube and watch something so rare, subtitle of your choice, you name it.

But if you watch 5x what you used to, won't you eventually run out of great movies? It's easier finding music, but it still stands, and eventually, things get thin. I also think it's why I'm looking for more unique stuff, because I've seen too many "reruns".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiOmSc30fE

AgrippinaX 06-17-22 05:41 PM

There is always more niche music or films. No chance of running out.

seanc 06-17-22 05:42 PM

I don’t fear running out of great films but I do wonder if watching so much more than I used to contributes to my movie memory issue.

StuSmallz 06-18-22 01:35 AM

Yeah, I don't like watching more than one movie a week (including new watches and rewatches), and I often watch less often than even that, because any more feels like binging to me, and then the experience feels less "magical" than it should to me, for lack of a better term.

ThatDarnMKS 06-18-22 01:48 AM

Nah. I'll die with an extraordinary long list of movies to watch. The more I see, the more I realize I haven't seen.

KeyserCorleone 06-18-22 01:59 AM

Re: Digesting So Many Movies In Short Time = Problem?

I'm currently watching a couple a day, and still adding movies that I forgot to add to my list. Apparently, Best In Show eluded it for a while.

Wyldesyde19 06-18-22 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2308344)
Nah. I'll die with an extraordinary long list of movies to watch. The more I see, the more I realize I haven't seen.
This.
I will never ever stop running out of films to watch. I will never stop searching for films to watch.

Iroquois 06-18-22 04:42 AM

Short answer is no, even if you deliberately avoid as much from the last 40 years as possible.

matt72582 06-18-22 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by StuSmallz (Post 2308341)
Yeah, I don't like watching more than one movie a week (including new watches and rewatches), and I often watch less often than even that, because any more feels like binging to me, and then the experience feels less "magical" than it should to me, for lack of a better term.

I guess it's like eating an entire pizza. The first slice tastes better than the last one.

SpelingError 06-18-22 10:38 AM

I still have a very long way to go before that will ever happen.

Citizen Rules 06-18-22 01:43 PM

Run out of movies to watch? Only if one takes a time machine back to the 19th century.

I just checked IMDB for the number of movie titles since talkies first started, around 1930, (many of the silent films are now lost so are harder to count how many actually exist). From 1930 to present there is 9,505,314 movies. That's nearly 10 million films if you throw in the remaining silent films.

Even if a person watched 5 movies a day, everyday, they couldn't even put a dent in that number, not to mention that after years and years of non stop movie watching one could rewatch movies again and again. So running out of movies to watch is like running out of ideas for threads on an internet board;)

MovieGal 06-18-22 01:49 PM

I'm in my mid 50s and I remember my parents always watching movies. I'm positive I have seen over 6,000 in my life so far and I know there are more to keep me going.

Rockatansky 06-18-22 03:06 PM

I think it depends on what you're getting out of them. If you feel like the volume of movies you're watching is affecting the enjoyment you get out of each one, it might be worth slowing down. But unless your only goal is to watch the canonical classics, you will not run the risk of running out of good movies.

I watch more movies than I used to pre-pandemic, and I can say that the increased volume has made me more likely to go down avenues I might not have previously considered, and to revisit movies I might have had mixed feelings about previously. So I would say that the rate at which I watch movies has contributed positively to my enjoyment.

Citizen Rules 06-18-22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2308441)
I'm in my mid 50s and I remember my parents always watching movies. I'm positive I have seen over 6,000 in my life so far and I know there are more to keep me going.
I'm a little bit older than you so I've seen a number of movies, but when I was a kid my parents never watched movies unless they dragged us kids to the drive-in theater in our pajamas:eek:

But I've been making up for that loss of movie time by watching a movie every night for the last 20 years+, occasionally I can squeeze in two movies....And I'm still excited to discover new movie avenues with each nights watching.

matt72582 06-18-22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2308455)
I think it depends on what you're getting out of them. If you feel like the volume of movies you're watching is affecting the enjoyment you get out of each one, it might be worth slowing down. But unless your only goal is to watch the canonical classics, you will not run the risk of running out of good movies.
I feel like my life is being wasted when I go a day without watching a movie. If I watch an 8/10 movie, I'd be soooo happy.. Every night, I tell myself, "Tomorrow, I'm going to try and watch a movie", but I usually end up doing other things, because they're easier perhaps.

Lately, I'm not into most movies, and after 20 minutes, I delete them for space on my DVR. But now, I found a way to stream movies (until my cousin comes back from vacation - HDMI cable) and want to take advantage, compared to only being able to watch movies from cable, prime, etc.. I'll look through my IMDB watch-list, and things are unavailable, or, I'm just not into it, despite going into it thinking I'd like it...

This is why I signed up to this place, partly... To find movies. I figure if I tell people my favorite movies, some might say "You might like _____"... I've found many movies looking through the boards, especially "Rate The Last Movie", so maybe I should check that out today.

MovieGal 06-18-22 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2308457)
I'm a little bit older than you so I've seen a number of movies, but when I was a kid my parents never watched movies unless they dragged us kids to the drive-in theater in our pajamas:eek:

But I've been making up for that loss of movie time by watching a movie every night for the last 20 years+, occasionally I can squeeze in two movies....And I'm still excited to discover new movie avenues with each nights watching.
My parents, my older sister and husband , even my older brothers. One of my brother and his friend took me and his friend's sister to see Jaws. It was not a movie for two 8 yr old girls to see. My brother and his friend was 16 yrs old.

SpelingError 06-18-22 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2308440)
So running out of movies to watch is like running out of ideas for threads on an internet board;)
matt72582 knows all about that :D

Gideon58 06-18-22 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2308206)
The one positive thing of modern-life is that you don't need to be a millionaire to watch thousands of movies. Even renting them cost money. Now, you can go on YouTube and watch something so rare, subtitle of your choice, you name it.

But if you watch 5x what you used to, won't you eventually run out of great movies? It's easier finding music, but it still stands, and eventually, things get thin. I also think it's why I'm looking for more unique stuff, because I've seen too many "reruns".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiOmSc30fE

I really don't think there's such a thing as running out of great movies to watch...it's impossible to see "everything", but for myself, I know there are a lot of great classic moves that I will never watch because of the genre or subject matter. For example, there are a lot of classic westerns out there which I will never watch because I hate westerns. I would rather re-watch a movie I've seen fifty times than watch a western I've never seen.

MovieGal 06-18-22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2308466)
I really don't think there's such a thing as running out of great movies to watch...it's impossible to see "everything", but for myself, I know there are a lot of great classic moves that I will never watch because of the genre or subject matter. For example, there are a lot of classic westerns out there which I will never watch because I hate westerns. I would rather re-watch a movie I've seen fifty times than watch a western I've never seen.
I was never fond of westerns but I do like several modern westerns

The Keeping Room is one and well yeah, The Salvation is another, but that has Mads and you can never go wrong watching a Mads film.

Citizen Rules 06-18-22 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2308460)
My parents, my older sister and husband , even my older brothers. One of my brother and his friend took me and his friend's sister to see Jaws. It was not a movie for two 8 yr old girls to see. My brother and his friend was 16 yrs old.
I seen Jaws at the theater with my parents, I was too young to go to a R rated movie by myself, plus I couldn't drive! (I think Jaws was R?)