Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Manifest (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=52854)

MonnoM 01-24-18 04:51 PM

Manifest

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/robe...ot-1202674409/

"The drama project “Manifest” from Jeff Rake and Robert Zemeckis has been ordered to pilot at NBC, Variety has learned.

In the series, described as a mystery thriller, a plane disappears from radar and returns years later after being untraceable and presumed lost at sea. No time has passed for those on the plane, but for their loved ones at home, many years have gone by. The series follows their personal lives as well as the larger mystery and purpose that is their destiny.

Rake will executive produce and write. Zemeckis will executive produces through his Compari Entertainment banner. Compari’s Jack Rapke will also executive produce, while Compari’s Jackie Levine will co-executive produce. Compari will produce in association with Warner Bros. Television, where Zemeckis is set up under an overall deal. The project received a put pilot commitment at the network in August."

Optimus 12-29-19 06:56 AM

Re: Manifest

Just started this a couple of weeks ago. It’s like a budget Lost.

GulfportDoc 12-30-19 10:01 AM

Watched the first 3 eps last night. It's an engaging story, sort of sci-fi supernatural drama, which catches one's interest a little like Stranger Things did.

To my taste there's too much of the soap opera in it: sensitivity, caring, feelings, touchy-feely, and all the rest. But I suppose that's what Hollywood television is pushing today.

There are 16 eps, and it has been green lighted for a 2nd season. It'll be interesting to see where the story goes...:cool:

~Doc

Yoda 12-30-19 10:06 AM

Wife and I watched most of the first season, but couldn't finish it. A little too formulaic, too much padding. We read a summary of the rest of the season after and it made us confident we'd made the right choice.

We might give it another shot because it's not unusual for a show to kind of reset and find its bearings, granted it's probably pretty rare for a show like this, specifically.

AKA23 08-15-23 05:22 PM

I liked this and feel like it was mostly satisfyingly concluded on Netflix when they rescued it after it was cancelled by NBC. There are many parallels to "Lost," which it was clearly inspired by. I kind of like watching shows that were inspired by other shows, with a new twist to them. It's similar, but also quite different. In my opinion, "Lost" was a wonderful show, and one of the more original ones that I've seen, but it was so complicated and especially towards the later seasons, it became difficult to follow. Also, there were many aspects of the story that were dropped or never resolved by the time we got to the mostly unsatisfying finale, which left many questions unanswered in favor of an ending that didn't fully connect with the arc of the story.

With "Manifest," the central story is definitely wrapped up, it never becomes confusing to the point that Lost did, and the story is more self contained and nowhere near as difficult to follow. It's a lesser show than "Lost" but I think a more successful one in some ways. "Lost" was, in my opinion, quite an influential show, as I can see influences from it in "Manifest," "Yellowjackets," and parts of "Alias" as well, and that's just to name a few. Any other "Lost" fans on here, and do you agree that "Manifest" is a modern version?

Yoda 08-15-23 05:58 PM

I definitely got that vibe, even from the abbreviated watching we did, yeah.

GulfportDoc 08-17-23 08:04 PM

Realized I hadn't seen the 3rd or 4th seasons, so we fired up the 3rd. Watched 1 or 2 eps, but its smarmy-ness started getting on my nerves. I also got the feeling that they drew out the story too much in order to fill the requisite episodes. Some of the dialogue writing (and its acting) is pretty amateurish, like one would expect on network TV.

Glad to get the suggestions re Lost. I don't believe I've ever seen it, so will investigate it for sure. I'm not much on survivor stories, but evidently this series has received very high recommendations all around, so there must be something to it.

Yoda 08-17-23 08:42 PM

It was network TV, in fact. It began on NBC.