Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who is the last actor to blow you away with their performance? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=36751)

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 01:12 AM

Who is the last actor to blow you away with their performance?

It could be from a new film that you watched for the first time or a rewatching of one of your favorites , or maybe just a film you caught on tv and were taken with a specific performance.
here i'll give an example.
The last actor who blew me away was Joaquin in the Master. i know its kind of cliche haha but seriously. after analyzing that film for the the 10th or 11th time i can safetly say that his work is spellbinding. his eyes, the contortions of his body, his well of emotion that he can utilize anytime he wants, His speech and his animal like persona. just an all a round ground breaking Performance in my opinion
So what about you guys?

mrtylerdurden 08-05-14 01:30 AM

Re: Who is the last actor to blow you away with their performance?

Welcome btw! I like your taste in movies. One performance that blew me away were Edward Norton in American History X, he plays both the evil side and the good side of Derek Vinyard perfectly. And the other performance that blew me away was Robert DeNiro in The King of Comedy. He did not seem like Robert DeNiro AT ALL in this film. He isn't strong or tough or anything, he's weak and he makes tons of mistakes. He did amazing in this role as being politely sinister and obsessive. I see that you like Taxi Driver, so I highly suggest you watch The King of Comedy.

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 01:34 AM

Oh i have seen King of Comedy its one of my favorite Scorsese pictures. Rupert Pubkin(i think thats his name) is one of De niros finest acting achievements i believe. and i completely 100 percent about Norton in AMX . he's just fantastic in that film, plays the character with a certain sympathy but also such pain and resentment. beautiful work. im really pulling for norton to bag the best supporting oscar in birdman this year. looks like it could be great.

mrtylerdurden 08-05-14 01:38 AM

Norton should have won for Primal Fear. He was fantastic in that, especially since it was his first role.

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 01:43 AM

absolutely man. That performance was so iconic that it lead him to work with woody allen. I mean when your a new actor and your next film is a Allen flick, you know you have something special. also gotta dig norton in Fightclub. he rarely puts on a bad performance. and hes going to play a character with tourettes syndrome next and if he doesnt win for birdman, he will probably win for that film

Derek Vinyard 08-05-14 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by mrtylerdurden (Post 1140781)
Welcome btw! I like your taste in movies. One performance that blew me away were Edward Norton in American History X, he plays both the evil side and the good side of Derek Vinyard perfectly. And the other performance that blew me away was Robert DeNiro in The King of Comedy. He did not seem like Robert DeNiro AT ALL in this film. He isn't strong or tough or anything, he's weak and he makes tons of mistakes. He did amazing in this role as being politely sinister and obsessive. I see that you like Taxi Driver, so I highly suggest you watch The King of Comedy.
Alleluia Ed Norton FTW !

He's got robbed for Primal Fear and American History X no hell of a doubt .

mrtylerdurden 08-05-14 01:51 AM

Norton's performance in Fight Club is one of the best performances ever put to screen. He plays the "lost sheep", if you will, perfectly and he just makes insomnia look cool lol. He's absolutely perfect in that movie. And of course any upcoming Norton roles should be great.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 08-05-14 01:51 AM

does every thread at this forum have to turn into an edward norton circle jerk?

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 01:52 AM

This could be Norton's year. He just needs to have an interesting character and a healthy amount of screen time. fingers crossed

mrtylerdurden 08-05-14 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 (Post 1140788)
Lol ok time to change the subject I guess. I love when actors who are known to be not so great or not to be taken seriously have great performances (Nicolas Cage in Adaptation or Raising Arizona, Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction, or John C. Reilly in his earlier roles and when he worked with PTA)

Mysticalunicornfart 08-05-14 02:00 AM

Edward Norton as Edward Norton.. in Edward Norton.

Derek Vinyard 08-05-14 02:00 AM

Norton is a living god that's why !

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/k...d-norton-3.png

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 02:01 AM

hell yes. Cage's performance in adaptation is brilliant, he shows much restrain but still throws in some cage mannerisms here and then. when he wants to be he can put on a good performance. all depends on the direction and writing. Stranger than fiction is one of my favorite's and Ferrell is superb. i find that a lot of comic actors make terrific dramatic turns. i suppose this because comedy is the hardest to do and comedy is all about truth and they have a deeper understanding of it so they bring a real truth to their characters when its a drama. jim carrey, steve carell, and now it looks like keaton.

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 02:06 AM

Back on the Norton topic haha, i would love to see him work with PTA. he would write such a great character for him. i hope that happens.

mrtylerdurden 08-05-14 02:10 AM

I feel like Scorsese could do good with Norton, making him a panicky mess in one of his movies. Norton would be perfect for that. If someone remade Taxi Driver, (and I'm praying to God that they don't) I think Norton could play the part of Travis Bickle well. Certainly not as good as DeNiro, because nobody could play Travis Bickle as well as DeNiro, but I feel like Norton could come close and would be good as Bickle.

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 02:16 AM

oooh... actually that might work. see i always saw sam rockwell doing a good job with bickle but norton is not bad either. haha now i'm imagining it damn... that would be killer...

mrtylerdurden 08-05-14 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by DannyPlainview65 (Post 1140797)
see i always saw sam rockwell doing a good job with bickle
Hmmm never thought about that! I can imagine that one too! I also really wanna see Paul Giamatti in a Scorsese flick. He'd be a great foul-mouthed manager or an uncomfortable nervous character too.

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 02:22 AM

Giamatti can do anything. He can work with Michael Bay for all i care and probably still turn in an honest rounded performance. Scorsese would have a field day with him haha. also Cranston, Cranston needs to work with scorsese,pta,fincher,arronofsky,o russel,etc etc

Miss Vicky 08-05-14 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by DannyPlainview65 (Post 1140775)
The last actor who blew me away was Joaquin in the Master. i know its kind of cliche haha but seriously. after analyzing that film for the the 10th or 11th time i can safetly say that his work is spellbinding. his eyes, the contortions of his body, his well of emotion that he can utilize anytime he wants, His speech and his animal like persona. just an all a round ground breaking Performance in my opinion
:up:

My answer would be the same actor, but different movie:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...hoenix-Her.gif

Her

Though Joaquin Phoenix has never failed to impress me on some level with every performance he's given.

mrtylerdurden 08-05-14 02:29 AM

Kevin Spacey certainly needs to be in a Scorsese picture. He would be great as the classic egotistical protagonist in a Scorsese movie.

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 02:29 AM

Phoenix in her was indeed incredible. And he pulled a dustin hoffman in playing two characters each on the opposite side of the spectrum. Theodore Twombly is such a gentle, warm, man and Freddie quell is such an unpredictable , animalistic brute. Phoenix is one of the finest actors around. And i can't wait to see what he brings to the character of Doc in Inherent Vice. it will be interesting to see Phoenix's take on stoner cadence's and body language i expect a'lot of the performance will be through the eyes. which is something he does that has no comparison to others. his eye acting is absolutely incredible . so much is conveyed in a simple gaze just brilliant.

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by mrtylerdurden (Post 1140801)
Kevin Spacey certainly needs to be in a Scorsese picture. He would be great as the classic egotistical protagonist in a Scorsese movie.
Agreed. We are on the same level bro haha. I can't wait to see kevin spacey play winston churchhill surely going to be something to look out for

Derek Vinyard 08-05-14 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by DannyPlainview65 (Post 1140794)
Back on the Norton topic haha, i would love to see him work with PTA. he would write such a great character for him. i hope that happens.
A lot of rumours says that Norton is going to repick-up the role of ''Worm'' in Rounders 2 that's completely awesome

DannyPlainview65 08-05-14 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1140804)
A lot of rumours says that Norton is going to repick-up the role of ''Worm'' in Rounders 2 that's completely awesome
oh man that would be sick, yeah his slate is pretty clear for now aside from motherless brookln but i think(hope) that birdman is gonna put him back on the map. he's been out of the scene for far too long. We need mroe powerhouses like him.

AnnaSmithy 08-05-14 04:21 AM

It could be from a new film that you watched for the first time or a rewatching of one of your favorites , or maybe just a film you caught on tv and were taken with a specific performance.
here i'll give an example.
So what about you guys?
I have to agree.. I think Joaquin Phoenix is a genius (and I'm not only saying this because he's a vegan-animal-activist ;) ).

AF. 08-06-14 03:08 AM

I think it might have been Joaquin Phoenix in Her.

Fassbender in 12 Years a Slave and Shame also blew me away.

Also, does Matthew McCounaughey in True Detective count? He's amazing in that.

Klaus1 08-06-14 04:02 AM

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I've gotta say I like the respect for great actors like Ed Norton and Kevin Spacey. The lat role to blow me away was Ivana Baquero in Pan's Labyrinth, for a child actor the was an amazing performance.

Gideon58 08-06-14 11:00 AM

I just saw The Wrestler for the first time yesterday and Mickey Roarke definitely blew me away...a powerful and heartbreaking performance that is still inside my head. Another performance that comes to mind because the actress has never affected me before in any of her previous work was Jennifer Garner in Juno...I couldn't believe how good she was in that movie, that performance blew me away. I think "blew me away" was the exact phrase I used regarding Garner when I wrote my review of the film.

Citizen Rules 08-06-14 01:36 PM

There's a difference between a really cool character and a great performance.

Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter is a cool character, as is Sean Connery in the Bond films. Both do a great acting job too.

To answer this question: Who is the last actor to blow you away with their performance?

It was Humphrey Bogart, In a Lonely Place (1950) Bogart is amazing in this truly great film noir and yet his character is not admirable at all.

Peggy Ann Garner, a child actresses in Jane Eyre (1943) A very realistic, heart felt performance as the young Jane Eyre. And I wouldn't call her character cool either. But her performance did blow me away.

mrtylerdurden 08-06-14 01:51 PM

Oh I almost forgot this one. Kathy Bates was AMAZING in Misery. Her performance definitely blew me away.

Gideon58 08-07-14 10:52 AM

I'll second Kathy Bates in Misery...Annie Wilkes literally gave me nightmares.

skivvy69 08-09-14 08:37 PM

Can I say Evan Peters from American Horror Story even though it's a TV show, not a film? Because damn that kid can act. If he ever manages to make it into a really good film, he'll be A-List in a heartbeat.

If not, I'll have to go with Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables.

BlueLion 08-09-14 08:39 PM

Tom Hardy in Bronson

Camo 08-09-14 08:39 PM

Joaquin Phoenix - The Master

Cobpyth 08-09-14 09:46 PM

Ingrid Bergman in Viaggio in Italia.

What a woman.

Michael T 08-09-14 09:55 PM

I just re-watched Winter's Bone (2010) and was again, very impressed with Jennifer Lawrence's performance.

rauldc14 08-12-14 10:50 AM

Johnny Depp,and Martin Landau in Ed Wood

Skepsis93 08-12-14 10:52 AM

Christian McKay in Me and Orson Welles was the last one to really impress me. Uncanny.

DannyPlainview65 08-12-14 12:46 PM

Robin Williams in The Fisher King.

Derek Vinyard 08-12-14 12:49 PM

Steve Zahn and Paul Walker in Joy Ride they are awesome together !

R.I.P Walker ...

Pippo 08-14-14 08:30 PM

http://ghostradio.files.wordpress.co...in-phoenix.jpg

I have to agree with Miss Vicky, Joaquin nailed it in Her
he was just perfect, better than perfect

&

https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608...8&pid=15.1&P=0
Forest Whitaker in The Experiment

Man, did he blow me away? this was one of the best performances of all time, maybe because I wasn't expecting a GREAT performance from Forest.

Chardee MacDennis 08-15-14 12:23 AM

Lets put it to a vote.

Leave the site as MoFo (Movie Forums), or change it to NoFo (Norton Forums).

TylerDurden99 08-18-14 06:51 AM

I recently saw Robin Williams (this was a few weeks before his tragic death) in One Hour Photo and it blew me away how effortlessly he slipped into the creepy sociopathic character. Great movie, and a truly brilliant performance.

Gideon58 08-18-14 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by mrtylerdurden (Post 1140781)
Nice to see some love for De Niro in The King of Comedy...probably my favorite De Niro performance, a movie I never get tired of re-watching.

Gideon58 08-18-14 11:59 AM

My answer would be the same actor, but different movie:

Yeah, he blew me away in Walk the Line

Matteo 08-26-14 10:08 AM

Tom Hardy in "Locke".

Derek Vinyard 08-26-14 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chardee MacDennis (Post 1147417)
Lets put it to a vote.

Leave the site as MoFo (Movie Forums), or change it to NoFo (Norton Forums).
ALL IN . THE NOFO :D

MovieGal 08-26-14 11:51 PM

I dont really need to put a name to it.. you all should know by now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vwHATDeJhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODM6xqliW28

jiraffejustin 08-27-14 12:24 AM

http://blueisthewarmestcolormovie.fi...if?w=826&h=468

Sexy Celebrity 08-27-14 12:28 AM

http://images3.cinema.de/imedia/1834...mjX3lZSA==.jpg
But for how pathetic they are.

neiba 08-29-14 04:15 PM

Well, it's not exactly a movie...

But Kevin Spacey on the TV series "House of Cards" totally blow me away every single episode!

Modine 08-30-14 08:49 AM

Joaquin and Edward Norton are nice, but lately I've been warming up to Christian Bale. I'm not talking about Batman Christian Bale, I'm talking about American Psycho, The Machinist and The Fighter Christian Bale. I just saw the Prestige and I was very impressed with him. I'm still amazed at his performance in Empire of the Sun. Dude had talent even back then. Seems very, very serious and dedicated to his craft.

Gamobs 08-30-14 09:29 AM

Clémence Poésy in Bruges (2008). I'm obsessed about this beautiful woman.

BlueLion 08-30-14 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1155455)

But for how pathetic they are.
dude on the left delivers a terrific performance. Movie would have been utterly forgettable if it weren't for him.

Godoggo 08-30-14 11:39 AM

I loved Waad Mohammad in Wadjda. Also Miriam Hopkins in Trouble in Paradise and Deanie Ip is wonderful in A Simple Life.

DannyPlainview65 08-30-14 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Modine (Post 1157207)
Joaquin and Edward Norton are nice, but lately I've been warming up to Christian Bale. I'm not talking about Batman Christian Bale, I'm talking about American Psycho, The Machinist and The Fighter Christian Bale. I just saw the Prestige and I was very impressed with him. I'm still amazed at his performance in Empire of the Sun. Dude had talent even back then. Seems very, very serious and dedicated to his craft.
Bale is incredible. His Performance in American Hustle... Just.. Wow.

JulesKay 09-03-14 11:57 AM

Leonardo DiCaprio in Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street (2013).

Outrageously entertaining!

Gideon58 09-03-14 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by DannyPlainview65 (Post 1157362)
No argument regarding Christian Bale...solid actor...just saw The Fighter...really didn't care for the film, but Bale was brilliant.

thekgproject 09-08-14 11:07 AM

DiCaprio in Wolf of Wall Street
or Johansson in Her

mark f 09-08-14 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Matteo (Post 1154979)
Tom Hardy in "Locke".
This. Although I only find the film partly successful, Hardy is astounding and goes through a great variety of emotions, all commanding the screen effortlessly. His voice is completely compelling in creating a character who you believe and empathize with although you feel he's too smart to be in the situation he is. The movie may be too small and gimmicky to get Academy recognition, but Hardy easily deserves a Best Actor nod as of now.

Derek Vinyard 09-11-14 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1165044)
This. Although I only find the film partly successful, Hardy is astounding and goes through a great variety of emotions, all commanding the screen effortlessly. His voice is completely compelling in creating a character who you believe and empathize with although you feel he's too smart to be in the situation he is. The movie may be too small and gimmicky to get Academy recognition, but Hardy easily deserves a Best Actor nod as of now.
One of the best movie i've seen recently in all aspects silent and calm atmosphere but so captivating ... Very great character study

BlueLion 09-11-14 08:26 PM

Tom Hardy was really good in Locke, but the film itself is also quite effective, in that it shows the inner struggles of Hardy's character really well, and at the same time it allows the viewer to "travel" to three different places, even if the camera never leaves the car

mosswood17 09-16-14 01:24 AM

You beat me to it, BlueLion! Hardy is amazing in Locke. What a beautifully shot movie, too. Joaquin Phoenix has had a great couple of years and I would have to lump his performances in The Master and Her in this category too. Philip Seymour Hoffman in Magnolia along with Tom Cruise. Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love. Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood. Paul Dano was pretty damn impressive there too.

Gideon58 09-16-14 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by DannyPlainview65 (Post 1140782)
Oh i have seen King of Comedy its one of my favorite Scorsese pictures. Rupert Pubkin(i think thats his name) is one of De niros finest acting achievements i believe. and i completely 100 percent about Norton in AMX . he's just fantastic in that film, plays the character with a certain sympathy but also such pain and resentment. beautiful work. im really pulling for norton to bag the best supporting oscar in birdman this year. looks like it could be great.
The character's last name is Pupkin.

Gideon58 09-16-14 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1145928)
Steve Zahn and Paul Walker in Joy Ride they are awesome together !

R.I.P Walker ...
Love, love, love, love Steve Zahn...wonderful actor always worth watching...Sahara would have been intolerable without him.

Gideon58 09-23-14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by mosswood17 (Post 1171460)
You beat me to it, BlueLion! Hardy is amazing in Locke. What a beautifully shot movie, too. Joaquin Phoenix has had a great couple of years and I would have to lump his performances in The Master and Her in this category too. Philip Seymour Hoffman in Magnolia along with Tom Cruise. Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love. Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood. Paul Dano was pretty damn impressive there too.
Hardy blew me away in The Dark Knight Rises and I also agree regarding Sandler in Punch Drunk Love. I was also recently blown away by the performances of Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club.

SeeingisBelieving 12-06-15 12:43 PM

So what about you guys?
I didn't see the whole film, but Angela Bettis in May.

AdamUpBxtch 12-06-15 03:04 PM

Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook

Tom Cruise & Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder

I've seen many great performances but these 4 I couldn't stop thinking about after I watched the movie. When I first watched Tropic Thunder in the theaters when I was like 13 I seriously didn't even know/realize that was Tom Cruise that's how good the character and make up were.

CiCi 12-06-15 03:08 PM

Maggie Cheung - In the Mood For Love

Probably the best performance I've ever seen, I watched this film months ago and I still can't stop thinking about it sometimes. Captivating, subtle, yet so sublime and powerful too :love: it's such a shame and loss that she decided to retire from acting :(

Camo 12-06-15 03:12 PM

David Thewlis - Naked
Clive Owen - Closer
Natalie Portman - Closer
Anna Karina - Vivre Sa Vie
The Whole Cast - Tokyo Story

Just a few i seen this year.

MovieBuffering 12-11-15 01:03 AM

McConaughey in Dallas Buyer's Club comes to mind. I just kept saying to myself he is really killing this while I watched it the first time lol.

Gideon58 12-11-15 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by DannyPlainview65 (Post 1157362)
The best performance in American Hustle came from Amy Adams...she blew me away in that movie.

jal90 12-12-15 02:37 PM

http://i.imgur.com/4PidZm0.jpg

Ellie Lambeti in A girl in black (To koritsi me ta mavra, 1956). I didn't know the actress so it took me by complete surprise; she delivers a wonderful melodramatic role. A damn great movie by the way, totally recommended.

SeeingisBelieving 12-13-15 09:18 AM

I should also mention Sofia Helin in The Bridge – in all three series so far.

Zezza 12-13-15 09:57 AM

Tom Hardy in Locke. I saw it for the first time a few Days ago and the Movie really relies on his acting, which is absolutely incredible.

SeeingisBelieving 08-23-17 06:10 PM

Anna Mouglalis in Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky (2009)

Stirchley 08-23-17 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Benicio is always good, but I was very impressed with Josh Hutcherson. Really good.

cat_sidhe 08-24-17 05:30 AM

Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea.

But last night, I thought about Tom Wilkinson. I remember being blown away by him (and Sissy Spacek) in In the Bedroom. (slightly off topic, but if I don't say it right now, it may slip my mind later)

matt72582 08-24-17 09:23 AM

Stacy Keach in "Fat City"

rambond 08-24-17 09:41 AM

Al pacino in Heat and scent of a woman

SeeingisBelieving 08-24-17 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by rambond (Post 1761209)
Al pacino in Heat and scent of a woman
Yeah, I like him in Heat. The film all round definitely had a big impact and I only saw it in full a few months ago.

luf 08-25-17 11:51 AM

Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler

Yam12 08-25-17 01:07 PM

http://i.imgur.com/E2wxe.png

Nicolas Cage in Adaptation.

Saunch 08-25-17 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1761232)
Yeah, I like him in Heat. The film all round definitely had a big impact and I only saw it in full a few months ago.
Was that the movie that sent him down the path of "Hoo-Ha!" acting? Or was that earlier (probably more Devil's Advocate's fault). In any case, it's one that settled him.

SeeingisBelieving 08-25-17 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1762099)
Was that the movie that sent him down the path of "Hoo-Ha!" acting? Or was that earlier (probably more Devil's Advocate's fault). In any case, it's one that settled him.
Well he has some fantastically over-the-top stuff it's true :). The reason for it in Heat apparently is that, although we don't see this on screen, Hanna uses cocaine. In general though it's been said that Pacino likes to shout occasionally to make sure we're all still paying attention :D.

rambond 08-28-17 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1762105)
Well he has some fantastically over-the-top stuff it's true :). The reason for it in Heat apparently is that, although we don't see this on screen, Hanna uses cocaine. In general though it's been said that Pacino likes to shout occasionally to make sure we're all still paying attention :D.
gimme what you got, gimme what you got sort of hoo haa XD
http://thumb.ibb.co/jA9jU5/heat.jpg
of This lol

Camo 08-28-17 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1762099)
Earlier. Here he is in Scent of a Woman which was 1992:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9kQBz9azy8

Devil's Advocate is after Heat.

SeeingisBelieving 08-28-17 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1763806)
Earlier. Here he is in Scent of a Woman which was 1992:

Devil's Advocate is after Heat.
Yeah, I saw a bit of Scent of a Woman the other day and I was also laughing at Philip Seymour Hoffman :).

RobertBlack 08-30-17 06:13 PM

Funnily enough, Eva Green. I think she's a phenomenal actress and her work in Penny Dreadful is terrifying but really brilliant.

Camo 08-30-17 06:16 PM

Toshiro Mifune in High and Low. Tatsuya Nakadai too but Mifune especially was incredible.

WorldFilmGeek 10-13-17 02:24 PM

Jackie Chan in The Foreigner. He really did a 180, playing a somber father who loses his daughter and demands justice and when no one helps him, he takes matters in his own hands.

Matteo 10-18-17 07:17 AM

Ben Stiller & Adam Sandler in The Meyerowitz Stories. Both fantastic, tragically poignant performances.

DocHoliday 10-19-17 11:28 AM

JK Simmons in Whiplash, Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler, and Denzel in Fences are the three performances that have blown me away in recent years.

Ultraviolence 10-19-17 02:46 PM

Lee Byung-hun in 'Inside Men'.

SeeingisBelieving 12-22-18 03:50 PM

From what I saw of Krypton when it was on recently, I'd say I was really impressed with Blake Ritson as Brainiac. The whole look and sound of the character was also a big part of his success. I've been a fan of other things and you're always looking for perfection in how things are realized – to me this looked pretty close :).

JoaoRodrigues 12-22-18 05:40 PM

I just re-watched for second time this month Come and See, so without any question Aleksey Kravchenko.
That was his first performance, yeah! Great filmmakers do great films with any person they come across.
I know a portuguese director that picked his actresses on the streets, João César Monteiro.

chawhee 12-23-18 12:10 AM

I feel like I must have overlooked Colin Farrell most of my life, but everything I see him in lately is gold. Last performance I saw was in Widows and the entire cast was excellent in that as a matter of fact.

Stirchley 12-24-18 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by chawhee (Post 1976615)
I feel like I must have overlooked Colin Farrell most of my life, but everything I see him in lately is gold. Last performance I saw was in Widows and the entire cast was excellent in that as a matter of fact.
Me too. Recently re-watched In Bruges, which I did not appreciate the first time round. He was brilliant. And his two movies with the Greek director (The Lobster & The Killing ...) are fantastic.

chawhee 12-24-18 11:54 PM

Yes, The Lobster was excellent! I haven't seen The Killing though

lenslady 01-02-19 03:20 AM

This particular actor is really not from the most recent time I've been blown away by an actor's performance. It's been some time since I became aware of his amazing talent. . But I''ve been 'saving up' this observation for quite some time, while looking for a place on mofo to 'put it.' So I think I'll put his name right here:

Jack Lemmon

I'd seen him in various roles, and certainly noticed him in one of my favorite comic movies, The Odd Couple. But I didn't really think of him as a great actor then. In fact, I really began to dislike Felix ( without realizing how very well Jack was doing his job there ) as a very irritating, whiny presence. And by the time Oscar threw the spaghetti against the wall, I was ready to throw Felix through it.

But when I realized Jack was truly gifted was when I saw him as Jack Godell in The China Syndrome. This is a movie that could have been just a dry quasi political doc, but with his presence, became a taut, gripping and eventually heart rending thriller. He played the part of a dedicated scientist, awakening to the ghastly realization that he is surrounded by greed, corruption and dangerous evil. Not only was this role a departure from his lighter comedic roles, he played it with grace, subtlety and authenticity. You felt you knew this guy - in fact, I have known similar men in the scientific fields, and Jack 'got it right' every step of the way.

I feel that ( at least for this viewer) to tell a larger story it is often most effective to tell it through the personal travels of a smaller, very human story. ( Which is why I find movies like La Strada or Life is Beautiful more effective and touching than all the epics about improvished struggle or the horrors of WWII put together ).

Through Jack's meltdown mirroring the atomic plants meltdown, we truly grasp the danger of all that can go wrong in our mighty, precariously balanced machines, especially in the hands of precariously unbalanced men driven by greed and stupidity. The touchstone of Jack's portrayal of an honest man , fueled by a love of science and an almost naive belief in the decency of people- lifts the movie ( and his fellow actors) to become a story as elevated and timeless as a Shakesperean tragedy.

And he did it all in the guise of an everyday
' everyman' - the type of non descript quiet guy you'd barely notice standing next to you in the bank line- until you find out he's put his life on the line to try to save the world.

Now THAT'S a talent that blows me away-no matter how many times I rewatch this movie- to this very day.