Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Business & Box Office Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ticket prices too much? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=824)

jrs 07-31-01 01:34 AM

Are you paying too much to see a movie where you live? How much are the ticket prices? Lets all compare.

Yoda 07-31-01 01:45 AM

It depends. During the day (IE: matinee), it's around $4 or so (a little more) at the cheaper theatre, and more like $5 at the larger theatre. At night, it's around $7.50 or so, I think...I'm not sure. I'm okay with it. It's still worthwhile -- especially considering I go to a matinee showing of the movie half the time.

ryanpaige 07-31-01 01:55 AM

It depends on the theater here and the time of day. If I want to forgo the stadium seating, I can see a matinee for $2 or pay $4 for the night showings. At the stadium seating places, the matinees run around $4.25 or so with the regular prices being $6.25 to $6.75.

I usually go to the matinees myself. It's rare I pay full price.

SultanBigPants 08-02-01 03:05 PM

I think its about 5 bucks for a matinee and 7.50 for an evening showing. My friends all freak out about the extra two bucks and always want to see matinee but then end up spending 5 bucks on concessions. I dont really care. Obviously the high prices aren't stopping anybody from going so no they're not too high. It's a matter of supply and demand. People will pay ten bucks to see a movie so they should charge ten bucks. If that doesn't work, charge less. In my hometown there is a new theatre being built and everybody is angry for some reason but competition brings down prices, it's a basic economic principle, so hurrah! Excuse these ramblings.

spudracer 08-02-01 03:18 PM

You're basically paying the same price you would if you went to a matinee if you go to a night show. Once you figure in drinks popcorn, anything that will stick to the roof of your mouth, you're lookin at an easy $10. Ticket in is like 5 somethin here, I think. So that's roughly $15 give or take a dollar or two. Night shows are about 6.25 here, I got it made, for now if you're taking two people it's $13 which barely leaves room for a drink so if you get a drink and split it you're lookin at the same price either way.

If it's expensive the sound/picture better be worth it.

Yoda 08-02-01 04:51 PM

Originally posted by SultanBigPants
I think its about 5 bucks for a matinee and 7.50 for an evening showing. My friends all freak out about the extra two bucks and always want to see matinee but then end up spending 5 bucks on concessions. I dont really care. Obviously the high prices aren't stopping anybody from going so no they're not too high. It's a matter of supply and demand. People will pay ten bucks to see a movie so they should charge ten bucks. If that doesn't work, charge less. In my hometown there is a new theatre being built and everybody is angry for some reason but competition brings down prices, it's a basic economic principle, so hurrah! Excuse these ramblings.
I couldn't agree more. It's "worth" whatever someone pays for it. Things do not have a universal value -- value and worth are very subjective things. If they charge too much, people will stop going, which is why we're paying $5-10 rather than $15-20.

OG- 08-02-01 08:28 PM

I pay $5.75 normally, then $8.50 at night.

B&W 03-12-02 10:58 PM

I pay about NZ$8.50 (Student price) which converts to about US$3.50.
What's this about it being cheaping in the daytime? That's cheap man.

jrs 03-13-02 01:08 AM

Here it's $3.75 (the early bird = first show of each movie) , $5.oo for each matinee and $7.25 for the evening.

mecurdius 03-13-02 01:45 AM

Did both these threads start at the same time? combine them or something

Cybernage 03-15-02 12:17 AM

geez im paying 13.50 for nights movies

B&W 03-15-02 04:49 AM

Crap, is that in US dollars?

That means your spending about 30 bucks in our currency!

jrs 03-15-02 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Cybernage
geez im paying 13.50 for nights movies
I hope you don't go faithfully . :laugh:

morbidodyssey 03-15-02 01:31 PM

Where I live its too expensive. It's 8.75 for a ticket arter 6pm!

Jenny*B 03-16-02 03:03 PM

I think prices here are around $12. Eek. No wonder I rarely go to the theater.

filmfreak 03-17-02 05:51 PM

Here in the UK where I live the local multiplex does a great offer.

Normally its £4.60 ($7) before 8pm or £3.60 ($5) after 8pm. I think they do a 2.95 ($4) deal for before 11am as well.

However they also do a deal where you pay £9.99 ($14) a month by direct debit and you can go see any movie whenever you want! You have to sign up for a minimum of 12 months so £120 ($170). Ive had mine six months and have already seen well over a years worth of movies (About 40) so everything i go see until next August will be for free! Also as an added bonus you can go to any of their chain in the country and still use your card.

I dont think they accounted for people like me who go twice or more a week!

Marcellus 03-23-02 06:40 AM

Here, the prices are standard.

I pay $6.50 as a child, which I can pass as as long as the movie isn't R16, which means you have to be at least student.

Student is $10.00

Adult, I wouldn't know.

B&W, whereabouts in NZ are you?

sadesdrk 03-23-02 12:09 PM

Here in good ol' Grass Valley, Ca. We pay 3.50 for a day show and 6-7$ at night.

I think I've mentioned before, my sister's boyfriend works as a manager at one of our town's larger theaters. I don't ever have to pay...but I do buy some drinks and popcorn. That's where your theater's revenue comes from. They don't make a red cent off of ticket sales.:nope:

firegod 03-23-02 04:20 PM

It's about $7 or $8 in Columbus, Ohio. About $4-$6 during the day.

B&W 03-23-02 08:54 PM

B&W, whereabouts in NZ are you?
North Shore City (in Auckland)