Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Captain America: Civil War is the greatest movies marvel ever did. (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=45727)

MIDO 05-24-16 02:56 PM

Captain America: Civil War is the greatest movies marvel ever did.

I think that the Civil War is the best movie from Marvel.

Agree or not?

Chypmunk 05-24-16 02:57 PM

Re: Captain America: Civil War is the greatest movies marvel ever did.

I guess I agree that you think that :)

CosmicRunaway 05-24-16 03:08 PM

While I liked Civil War and think it's one of the best movies out so far this year, I thought Winter Soldier was significantly better. Also liked Guardians of the Galaxy more. Probably some others too haha.

NextScorsese 05-24-16 03:21 PM

At this point, after I've let it sink in, I agree, it has replaced Iron Man as my favorite Marvel movie.

Guaporense 05-24-16 03:23 PM

Haven't watched it. I loved Iron Man but found the others I watched weak.

NextScorsese 05-24-16 03:33 PM

But lets be real here, Civil War will never be able to live up to the absolute Marvel masterpiece that is, Howard The Duck, clearly it is the superior picture. The difference in effects alone should prove it. Forget the Black Panther cgi, look at this totally realistic and believable duck puppet.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...kslnHDNPT-Ko-i

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...screenshot.jpg

MovieMeditation 05-24-16 03:38 PM

Nope.

Civil War is so far the only Marvel superhero movie that bored the crap outta me. .

NextScorsese 05-24-16 03:38 PM

How was it at all boring?

Marlon Brando 05-24-16 03:57 PM

Great movie, definitely top 5 Marvel film for me.

Not the best though. Winter Soldier, the first Avengers and Guardians were better.

doubledenim 05-24-16 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by MIDO (Post 1520566)
I think that the Civil War Guardians of the Galaxy is the best movie from Marvel.

Agree or not?
100%

NextScorsese 05-24-16 06:55 PM

Civil War had more emotional depth than any Marvel movie ever made, the conflict was well developed, I understood why each character was doing what they were doing, and the action was pretty amazing save for a few to many edits once or twice.

Cruelestanimal 05-24-16 07:01 PM

I don't think that it's the best. But I can not imagine a lot of rivals. Winter Soldier was best for me and GotG and Avengers may be better. But actually if we think the crowd and control over that crowd of Civil War, yeah it's among the best.

NextScorsese 05-24-16 07:05 PM

I'm sorry, but the other MCU movies look like such fluff compared to Civil War due to the emotional investment. Not to say that the other MCU movies aren't awesome, it's just in comparison.

MovieMeditation 05-24-16 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1520712)
I'm sorry, but the other MCU movies look like such fluff compared to Civil War due to the emotional investment. Not to say that the other MCU movies aren't awesome, it's just in comparison.
What a one-dimensional opinion...

I liked how dramatic Civil War became... Hench, "became", since I felt no emotional investment until the finale and in my opinion the so-called political conflict was weak and not well-handled, despite having huge potenial. The dialog was either missing Joss Whedon's ping-pong assemble dialog or simply a darker more focused dialog. The movie dragged and didn't invest me nearly enough.

DirkDiggler50 05-24-16 08:57 PM

I also was one of the viewers who found it boring. Because the plot is a mess. Besides the action sequences (which I admit are top notch) there's a muddled mess of subplots that don't add up.

The airport fight is awesome but what does it do for the plot? What does it advance? Nothing.

I agree that you shouldn't critique so harshly and seek alot of depth with the Marvel movies, but still that shouldn't be an excuse for them. I think they could do a lot better with making the superheroes more human. When I see Captain America I see Cris Evans, I don't see Captain America. Things could be a bit
more real, because I didn't find tension in the film at all, no suspense, no build up, no patience as a movie.

Everyone looks so pretty and gorgeous all the time that I tend to be taken out of the films atmosphere because of plot and character cliches that I've seen dozens of times before in the other movies, even Marvel movies.

It's still a fun time at the movies ,I loved the fight scene at the airport. The stories and dramatic tension could be vastly improved IMO

doubledenim 05-24-16 09:39 PM

If we are talking about anything resembling some soul or emotional heft, no way.

The opening of GotG with junior Quill at the bedside :bawling: .

Add to that the "in space, my eyes are turning blue" rescue mission. :bawling:

NextScorsese 05-24-16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1520726)
What a one-dimensional opinion...

I liked how dramatic Civil War became... Hench, "became", since I felt no emotional investment until the finale and in my opinion the so-called political conflict was weak and not well-handled, despite having huge potenial. The dialog was either missing Joss Whedon's ping-pong assemble dialog or simply a darker more focused dialog. The movie dragged and didn't invest me nearly enough.
It sounds like you're talking about just this movie alone. With this movie, the investment carries over from the past films in the MCU. And don't you dare try and pull the argument "so without the past films this one would suck" because that's the case for majority of the MCU films, this is a UNIVERSE, they're all one big movie, just in different parts. And even so, the scene with the Stark's memory hologram alone is some of the best character investment in all the films, it makes it so you understand his position at the end as he clashes against Captain America.

[SPOILERS=""All you needed to hear was the line, "He killed my mom.", that should instantly speak to anyone, especially since thanks to that earlier scene, you know he never really said goodbye, making it all the more powerful.

Watch_Tower 05-25-16 05:43 AM

I won't argue too much if you think Civil War is the best of the bunch because it is good enough to considered at that level. For me personally, it goes like this:

1. Cap 2: Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron (I'm probably in a minority)
4. Cap 3: Civil War

Omnizoa 05-25-16 05:46 AM

****. A whole bunch of movies I haven't seen.

colejwalker 05-25-16 06:03 AM

I think my problem with Civil War is the pace and they put so much more emphasis on the action that when your watching the characters make their way through this terribly put together plot it's so uninteresting. It's also ridiculous that a team of people who have fought together for years has nobody who can stop and just be rational for a second. The dialogue isn't bad, the overarching plot is.

Cruelestanimal 05-25-16 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Watch_Tower (Post 1520896)
I won't argue too much if you think Civil War is the best of the bunch because it is good enough to considered at that level. For me personally, it goes like this:

I think it's the true order except Age of Ultron. But for me Avengers (the first movie) deserves a place in first 5. And also i liked age of ultron but it has a lot of flaws like bvs

MovieMeditation 05-25-16 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by colejwalker (Post 1520900)
I think my problem with Civil War is the pace and they put so much more emphasis on the action that when your watching the characters make their way through this terribly put together plot it's so uninteresting. It's also ridiculous that a team of people who have fought together for years has nobody who can stop and just be rational for a second. The dialogue isn't bad, the overarching plot is.
The dialog isn't bad but pretty bland...

And after all the dialog is essentially what helps drive the plot of the movie forward. But yes, the plot in itself was messy and overstretced.

NextScorsese 05-25-16 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1521000)
The dialog isn't bland but pretty bland...

And after all the dialog is essentially what helps drive the plot of the movie forward. But yes, the plot in itself was messy and overstretced.
What was messy, the need to decide wether to sign onto the law or not, and the different opinions build to a full out battle.

skizzerflake 05-25-16 07:16 PM

Civil War reminds me of some moment in the mythic Hollywood and TV past when audiences stopped liking westerns. They were overdone, overused and just didn't have anything new to say. All of a sudden, there were hardly any westerns.

It seems like that point must be near for superhero movies. Civil war seemed like 5 minutes of plot and 15 minutes of fighting, alternated. By now, the fights are completely predictable. I KNOW that you can't kill a superhero by dropping 20 tons of concrete on his head, that you can slam him into a wall, or run over him with a parade of bulldozers and he will just shake it off until the allotted film time is over. Then somebody will win. I don't even see the point of the fights except that the movie would be only 20 minutes long without them so they become a BFD...a "Civil War".

For something that was so loud and full of FX, I was just amazed at how much time I spent bored. I just could not see why I cared who won. Near as I can tell they are all narcissistic, impulsive and must have a human death toll on their hands that approaches the Black Death. We should just banish them to a far away planet and let them pound each other into eternity.

wiggywonka 05-25-16 07:32 PM

To all those hating on this movie, i bet you guys are those people who love movies like Godfather and scarface. THose boring all talking movies.

skizzerflake 05-25-16 10:16 PM

I honestly am interested. What did you like about that movie? Were all those fight scenes exciting? Were the characters interesting? Was there something going on in the plot? Maybe I missed something, but I just didn't see much there except a bunch of digital animation guys impressing each other with all the things the can make fly around the screen. I can see where someone would not find The Godfather to be exciting, but I also can't see what's exciting about all that FX based fighting and another movie where half of the script is snarky Catskill one-liners by Tony Stark. It is getting like the 25th season of Gunsmoke.

Oh, and, by the way, I didn't hate it, I was just bored. I don't go to action movies to be bored.

colejwalker 05-25-16 10:24 PM

Another thing that just killed me about this film is...

WARNING: "Major" spoilers below
They didn't have the balls to kill off Rhody, which is just ******** to me. Instead, he's crippled. Would have amplified the tension in the final fight and also added to Stark's impending rage.

colejwalker 05-25-16 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by wiggywonka (Post 1521190)
To all those hating on this movie, i bet you guys are those people who love movies like Godfather and scarface. THose boring all talking movies.
I love your comment. I just enjoy stuff that makes me think, not mindless people getting thrown across the screen. Watching superhero films nowadays makes me feel like my brain is leaking out of my ear. I'm just kind of numb to the experience.

NextScorsese 05-25-16 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by wiggywonka (Post 1521190)
I love Civil War, it's easily my favorite Marvel movie, but, The Godfather and many other all talking movies are also some of my favorite movies of all time, funny how that works.

It really pisses me off when people think that if a movie is a different genre then it sucks.

colejwalker 05-25-16 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1521278)
I love Civil War, it's easily my favorite Marvel movie, but, The Godfather and many other all talking movies are also some of my favorite movies of all time, funny how that works.

It really pisses me off when people think that if a movie is a different genre then it sucks.
I think the problem is superhero movies, at least in my mind have become stale. It's part due to over-saturation and also because all these films are formulaic and don't take chances by killing off characters or making anything interesting.

NextScorsese 05-25-16 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by colejwalker (Post 1521281)
Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1521278)

I think the problem is superhero movies, at least in my mind have become stale. It's part due to over-saturation and also because all these films are formulaic and don't take chances by killing off characters or making anything interesting.
Now I can understand some people getting tired of them due to oversaturation, I just get pissed when people say a movie will suck without seeing it because it's a certain genre.

TONGO 05-25-16 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Watch_Tower (Post 1520896)

Good for you Dude! I liked it better than the first Avengers too. :up:

Watch_Tower 05-28-16 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cruelestanimal (Post 1520907)
I think it's the true order except Age of Ultron. But for me Avengers (the first movie) deserves a place in first 5. And also i liked age of ultron but it has a lot of flaws like bvs
I never liked the original Avengers THAT much. I felt it was too simple and small in scale for what it could have been.

In terms of flaws, all movies have them but you can possibly put Civil War in the same boat as BvS, which was just a series of disjointed scenes, put together for the purpose of boring an audience to sleep.

Watch_Tower 05-28-16 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by skizzerflake (Post 1521182)
Civil War reminds me of some moment in the mythic Hollywood and TV past when audiences stopped liking westerns. They were overdone, overused and just didn't have anything new to say. All of a sudden, there were hardly any westerns.

It seems like that point must be near for superhero movies. Civil war seemed like 5 minutes of plot and 15 minutes of fighting, alternated. By now, the fights are completely predictable. I KNOW that you can't kill a superhero by dropping 20 tons of concrete on his head, that you can slam him into a wall, or run over him with a parade of bulldozers and he will just shake it off until the allotted film time is over. Then somebody will win. I don't even see the point of the fights except that the movie would be only 20 minutes long without them so they become a BFD...a "Civil War".

For something that was so loud and full of FX, I was just amazed at how much time I spent bored. I just could not see why I cared who won. Near as I can tell they are all narcissistic, impulsive and must have a human death toll on their hands that approaches the Black Death. We should just banish them to a far away planet and let them pound each other into eternity.
You can argue there was too much action but to state it was not imaginative is bollocks. The final fight scene between the two teams in particular, especially any time Antman or Spidey showed up. It was violent and funny, inventive and beautiful and ultimately satisfying.

Cruelestanimal 05-28-16 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Watch_Tower (Post 1522914)
I never liked the original Avengers THAT much. I felt it was too simple and small in scale for what it could have been.

In terms of flaws, all movies have them but you can possibly put Civil War in the same boat as BvS, which was just a series of disjointed scenes, put together for the purpose of boring an audience to sleep.
Actually i like Avengers because of that reason. It was too simple and simplicity is the true way to do first Avengers. Thanks to this way they have no fault.

wiggywonka 05-28-16 06:24 PM

I regret saying what i said everyone has different tastes in movies. One thing that puzzled me about civil war was why Iron man was on the gov's side when he almost died trying to save millions of people from a nuke the government sent.

wiggywonka 05-28-16 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Watch_Tower (Post 1522915)
You can argue there was too much action but to state it was not imaginative is bollocks. The final fight scene between the two teams in particular, especially any time Antman or Spidey showed up. It was violent and funny, inventive and beautiful and ultimately satisfying.
Everyones talking about the airport fight but i personally liked the last fight between iron man and cap. It was really intense and serious and had me on the edge of my seat the whole entire time.

Northpoint 06-04-16 12:42 AM

I love Civil War but still place Avengers and Winter Soldier slightly ahead.

All three rank a 10/10 in my book so it's splitting hairs.

wiggywonka 06-05-16 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Northpoint (Post 1526768)
I love Civil War but still place Avengers and Winter Soldier slightly ahead.

All three rank a 10/10 in my book so it's splitting hairs.
Agreed. Right now I like Civil War better but that might be because I only saw it once and saw TWS and TA like 60 times each.

chrichtonsworld 06-07-16 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by MIDO (Post 1520566)
I think that the Civil War is the best movie from Marvel.

Agree or not?
I agree wholeheartedly.
Marvel is a real boss when it comes to fan service and spectacle.:)

NexusSix 06-08-16 02:49 PM

The Punisher: War Zone IMO, unless you're talking strictly MCU.

alfeezo 06-08-16 06:52 PM

If we are talking about ALL Marvel properties, then Spider-Man 1 and Spider-Man 2 (The Raimi versions) have to be the two best. They are more than just superhero films, in a similar way to TDK trilogy, in that they have emotional scenes and really engaging characters who you care about.
If you are just referring to the 'MCU', then Civil War, the Winter Soldier and Guardians are my favourites.

TONGO 06-08-16 06:57 PM

#1 Iron Man

#2 Civil War

#3 X-Men 2

#4 etc....The rest of them. ;)

Bunker Wise 06-10-16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1520578)
But lets be real here, Civil War will never be able to live up to the absolute Marvel masterpiece that is, Howard The Duck, clearly it is the superior picture. The difference in effects alone should prove it. Forget the Black Panther cgi, look at this totally realistic and believable duck puppet.
http://www.24sata.hr/media/img/dd/a6...474ed063b.jpeg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...screenshot.jpg

Howard the duck is one of the best Marvel film ever made I truly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen.

Bunker Wise 06-10-16 03:39 PM

Spiderman 3 is so bad that it's good probably my favourite Marvel film

MaxxPowerz 06-12-16 05:27 AM

Nah, that distinction belongs to Gaurdians. Civil War is too much of a mixed bag. It's an improvement over Age of Ultron for sure but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. I can't believe so many people were suckered in by it's emotionally manipulative plot they totally excuse the film's glaring flaws. Or maybe my rose tinted glasses are just broken.

The Dreamers 06-12-16 09:59 PM

Civil War surely was a great movie but if Iron Man and it's sequel is counted in, It's the best Marvel did according to me though.

ironpony 03-18-19 11:52 PM

I saw the movie. It was kind of good, kind of not, kind of a mixed bag. I like a lot of stuff in it, but I feel that the Spider-man subplot just came out of nowhere, without establishing why Tony even thought Spider-man would be a good recruit since he's such an impulsive hot head. I just didn't buy it, and there was no introduction to this new Spider-man character. And then he's just done and they continue one with the rest of the story. I feel like he should have been cut completely.

Another part that sticks out like a sore thumb is when Tony goes to see Sam, when Sam is behind bars. Sam says to him "you're going to have to go Mark Furhman to get anything out of me".

I'm thinking what the heck is that suppose to mean? Is because Sam is black, that the filmmakers are trying to make some sort of a racial/political statement by making a reference to something that happened in America, concerning Mark Furhman, all way back in 1995? I'm thinking jeez, if that's the case. So this took me out of the movie as well, but a lot of people like this movie, so perhaps the statement was justified then, and I'm just not seeing it maybe?

But other than these two things I felt the movie was kind of solid really, just a couple of odd sections that took me out, giving me a mixed opinion of it. I do think that The Winter Soldier is the best Captain America movie still.

The Rodent 03-19-19 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 1997378)
I saw the movie. It was kind of good, kind of not, kind of a mixed bag. I like a lot of stuff in it, but I feel that the Spider-man subplot just came out of nowhere, without establishing why Tony even thought Spider-man would be a good recruit since he's such an impulsive hot head. I just didn't buy it, and there was no introduction to this new Spider-man character. And then he's just done and they continue one with the rest of the story. I feel like he should have been cut completely.

Tony didn't know Peter at all.
He doesn't know what kind of person he is, what his personality is. All he knows, is what he's learned through his research... that this incredible being he's witnessed on YouTube is obviously looking out for the public and has some incredible powers, and then put some research into who this person is.
Tony even refers to him as "Spiderling" and asks if Peter makes the webbing himself.
Tony knows next to nothing about Peter/Spidey. All he knows is that Peter is Spidey (which would be easy for Tony to discover considering he has highly advanced tools at his disposal).

What Tony was after, was testing this new kid to see what he was like, if he was genuine, and if he had the gall to be a genuine, selfless hero.

This was shown quite clearly in the movie through dialogue and the scene when Tony met Peter for the first time.

As for the actual inclusion, it was simply a window into the MCU for Spider-Man as the filmmakers didn't want to go down yet another origins story after the audiences have had 2 already within the past 15 years... and at the same time was a character with genuine powers that Tony could use in the fight against Captain America's team.

ironpony 03-19-19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1997381)
Tony didn't know Peter at all.
He doesn't know what kind of person he is, what his personality is. All he knows, is what he's learned through his research... that this incredible being he's witnessed on YouTube is obviously looking out for the public and has some incredible powers, and then put some research into who this person is.
Tony even refers to him as "Spiderling" and asks if Peter makes the webbing himself.
Tony knows next to nothing about Peter/Spidey. All he knows is that Peter is Spidey (which would be easy for Tony to discover considering he has highly advanced tools at his disposal).
This was shown quite clearly in the movie through dialogue and the scene when Tony met Peter for the first time.

As for the actual inclusion, it was simply a window into the MCU for Spider-Man as the filmmakers didn't want to go down yet another origins story after the audiences have had 2 already within the past 15 years... and at the same time was a character with genuine powers that Tony could use in the fight against Captain America's team.
Okay I can see Tony taking a risk in that case, but in five minutes of talking to Spider-man why wasn't he able to figure out that he was too impulsive and hot headed, after he met him for a while?

I think maybe the reason why it felt off is that Spider-man should be more on the serious and frustrated side after the death of Uncle Ben at all, and this Spider-man is just way too happy and enthusiastic for a crime fighting vigilante, it seems. So if you are going to make him that way, compared to the previous ones, perhaps some more background is in order maybe?

The Rodent 03-19-19 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 1997382)
Okay I can see Tony taking a risk in that case, but in five minutes of talking to Spider-man why wasn't he able to figure out that he was too impulsive and hot headed, after he met him for a while?

This is another question that can be answered by simply watching the movie.

He meets Peter, they have a conversation, Peter explains he's looking out for his neighbourhood, keeping an eye on the little people.
He explains that he doesn't play sports with his new powers. He couldn't play sports before, so why should he start now?
Peter clearly shows that while he's only 15 and is still a little immature... he still has wisdom and responsibility with these new powers, and Tony respects that.

When Peter's in the suit, as Spider-Man, he's confident and maybe a little impulsive... but Tony can see that Peter as a person is a kind and caring and intelligent young man.
Tony knows that Peter will need some guidance, but he's happy with the kind of mentality that Peter has.
Peter's not a total ******* who is egotistical or a show-off.

After the fight at the airport, Tony then tells Peter to go home.
The fight is done, they've all taken a few hits, and Peter is now done in the fight and Tony tells him so.

Do you actually watch these movies you ask questions about, IP?

ironpony 03-19-19 12:33 AM

Yeah I watched it. It's just there wasn't any build up to it, and all of a sudden Tony is a Peter Parker's place, so I guess I felt there could have been a built up as to how Tony saw Peter on TV, and maybe showed more instead of just telling in dialogue after they met I guess. But I guess if it works, it works :)

Iroquois 03-19-19 09:35 AM

Wasn't true then, less true now.

Violetlvr 03-19-19 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by NexusSix (Post 1528811)
The Punisher: War Zone IMO, unless you're talking strictly MCU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Awaevo16A

Abhishek Jain 03-29-19 02:43 AM

I completely agree that the Civil War is the best Marvel movie till date. But there are Iron Man movies also that are worth watching according to me.