Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Random Acts Of Kindness Towards Sick/Injured Animals. (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=51304)

Dannii 09-14-17 02:32 AM

Random Acts Of Kindness Towards Sick/Injured Animals.

I thought it would be nice to share stories of helping animals that you came across in need of help, maybe while out walking or a neighbours pet.

I've helped a few animals while i've been out and about, one being a hedgehog that had its head wedged inside an ice cream box, it was walking on a grass verge and about to step into the road, i jumped off my bike and with one tug pulled off the ice- cream box, it came away and the hedgehog had ice-cream over his face😊. Also being a Medical Professional i am often asked by elderly neighbours to have a look at their cat or dog, i will share these stories a bit futher on.

Captain Steel 09-14-17 02:47 AM

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness Towards Sick/Injured Animals.

I used to stop often at a bridge near where I lived to help turtles get across before being run over. I stop my car, get out and lift them up and put them on the grass on the opposite side of the road.

After hurricane Sandy I found a crippled cat in my backyard. It couldn't use it's back legs. If people recall, later in the week after the storm it got extremely cold. I tried to approach the cat to put a blanket on it, but it was terrified and crawled away with its front paws. I called animal control on my dying cell phone (no way to charge it since the power was out) and a guy came and got the cat.

iank 09-14-17 05:30 AM

Not sick or injured but I've rescued a couple of lost dogs.

Chypmunk 09-14-17 06:06 AM

I've very bravely rescued a few birds and mice from the jaws of some ferocious looking animals (namely our cats PF & Ossie) with absolutely no thought of any possible danger to myself :yup:

Dannii 09-14-17 06:16 AM

I rescued a mouse from a cat on a Halloween night, the cat was knocking it about, then the mouse lay on its back playing dead, i just stamped my foot on the ground and the cat ran off, then the mouse sprang up and ran for its life☺

Elessar 09-14-17 06:24 AM

I rescued a drowning spider in my bathroom :D
Took it out of the water and put it to safe (so it can continue to weave troublesome net all over my room).

Dannii 09-14-17 06:31 AM

There was a spider in my bedroom recently, it was sat on top of freshly ironed clothes, i'd never harm them but i am scared of them and i wouldn't retrieve my ironed clothes until i knew it had moved on, about 6 hours later! 😆

cat_sidhe 09-14-17 06:37 AM

Was it sick? Sick spiders... :eek:

Dannii 09-14-17 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1777083)
This spider could of worn knee-high boots! It was huge! 😁

cat_sidhe 09-14-17 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777149)
Do you even get big spiders in England? :D

Dannii 09-14-17 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1777170)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777149)
Do you even get big spiders in England? :D
Some are quite big, complete with hairy legs! Saw one once with an unusual stripe on its back. 😳

Wplains 09-14-17 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777182)
Some are quite big, complete with hairy legs! Saw one once with an unusual stripe on its back. 😳
Oh yuck spiders. Not scared of them but don't want them in my house. Is there a country in the world that doesn't have spiders? They may not be poisonous but they are annoying. Apparently, they are no snakes in Ireland.

BTW, does anyone know what this is? Found on a Texan beach after the hurricane:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ch-Harvey.html

Weird!

cat_sidhe 09-14-17 12:02 PM

I've had far too many close personal encounters with big hairy spiders. I woke up with one beside my face once. You never saw anyone get out of bed so fast in your life. :lol:

Chypmunk 09-14-17 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1777255)
I woke up with one beside my face once. You never saw anyone get out of bed so fast in your life. :lol:
Meanie - it probably just wanted a hug :(

Elessar 09-14-17 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1777256)
Spider free hug campaign! Who volunteer?

cat_sidhe 09-14-17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1777256)
I HAVE INTIMACY ISSUES!

Chypmunk 09-14-17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Elessar (Post 1777266)
Spider free hug campaign! Who volunteer?
Gentle squeezers only need apply .... which sadly rules me out :(

Chypmunk 09-14-17 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1777268)
I HAVE INTIMACY ISSUES!
Not believin' ya .... you're spiderist through and through I say :p

cat_sidhe 09-14-17 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1777270)
Not believin' ya .... you're spiderist through and through I say :p
Truth be told, I'm actually proper arachnophobic. It's like they knew, because nobody else I know has had as many big hairy spider encounters as I. I was once staring up at the knotty pine ceiling of my living room, thinking how easy it would be for a spider to camouflage itself, when the knot I was looking at (directly above my head) moved. Yup. Big hairy spider. AGSDHJAGHSDJA!!!

The movie Arachnophobia actually works on me. My flesh crawls at that shower scene. Seriously!

Dannii 09-14-17 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1777246)
Oh yuck spiders. Not scared of them but don't want them in my house. Is there a country in the world that doesn't have spiders? They may not be poisonous but they are annoying. Apparently, they are no snakes in Ireland.

BTW, does anyone know what this is? Found on a Texan beach after the hurricane:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ch-Harvey.html

Weird!
Wow not seen anything like it before! 😳

Dannii 09-14-17 12:46 PM

I used to live in Cheshire with my husband, it's all countryside and farms. One day a field mouse ran across our kitchen floor, tiny little thing it was, another time i saw it in my dogs food bowl, so knew it wouldn't be long before my dog got hold of it, we went and bought a Humane Trap (a clear box that once inside a rodent can't get out, doesn't cause injury) and i placed a nice big chunk of cheese inside for mousey to nibble on while trapped, anyway a day later there was mousey inside the box, minus the cheese😁 we released him in a nice big field!

Citizen Rules 09-14-17 01:37 PM

I pet bumble bees:yup:

Chypmunk 09-14-17 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1777300)
I pet bumble bees:yup:
I'm often seen in summer sitting with a spoon and some sugar water feeding a bumble so it can hopefully regain some energy :)

Dannii 09-14-17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1777255)
I've had far too many close personal encounters with big hairy spiders. I woke up with one beside my face once. You never saw anyone get out of bed so fast in your life. :lol:
I once felt something tickling the side of my face while in bed watching TV, i presumed it was my hair until it crawled by my eye, it was a small spider but i shot out of bed! 😳

Dannii 09-14-17 05:41 PM

Mum and i have decided to get a puppy Labrador, she's gonna mind her while i'm at work. Haven't decided on a name yet but i'm thinking of something different and unique.

Chypmunk 09-14-17 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777487)
Mum and i have decided to get a puppy Labrador, she's gonna mind her while i'm at work. Haven't decided on a name yet but i'm thinking of something different and unique.
How about "Labbya" for a name if it's female? :drevil: :goof:

If it'a a male call it "Brad" :)

Good at naming things so I am :yup:

cat_sidhe 09-14-17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1777489)
How about "Labbia" for a name? :drevil: :goof:

There's a cinema in Cape Town called The Labia.

You're welcome.

Chypmunk 09-14-17 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1777494)
I can just imagine the mounting excitement waiting for the curtains to draw back :D

cat_sidhe 09-14-17 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1777495)
Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1777494)
I can just imagine the mounting excitement waiting for the curtains to draw back :D
It does have a pretty grand entrance. :D

Dannii 09-14-17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1777489)
How about "Labbya" for a name if it's female? :drevil: :goof:

If it'a a male call it "Brad" :)

I've picked a little girl☺ i was thining of calling her Jasmine, mum was thinking of Lulu, so we gotta decide before we pick her up.

cat_sidhe 09-14-17 06:00 PM

BEELZEPUP!

Nausicaä 09-14-17 06:09 PM

I'm often seen in summer sitting with a spoon and some sugar water feeding a bumble so it can hopefully regain some energy
I do that with house flies... Whenever I see a fly in the house that looks like it's dying I put some water/sugar solution on my hand and they seem to eat/drink it and then gain enough energy for me to put them outside and they fly off and die out in nature instead...

I love animals so I'll always help an animal if I can. Even little house flies. :D

As for spiders, I pick them up if they are in a place where they might get killed by humans or on my bedroom ceiling when I'm off to bed(I don't like the thought of them possibly dropping on me) and move them into another room. We apparently don't have any deadly ones here in the UK but we do have ones that have quite a nasty bite and probably find them more down south of the country.

Chypmunk 09-14-17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777508)
I've picked a little girl☺ i was thining of calling her Jasmine, mum was thinking of Lulu, so we gotta decide before we pick her up.
Lumine it is then ;)
(glad to have been able to help)

SeeingisBelieving 09-14-17 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777049)
I thought it would be nice to share stories of helping animals that you came across in need of help, maybe while out walking or a neighbours pet.

I've helped a few animals while i've been out and about, one being a hedgehog that had its head wedged inside an ice cream box, it was walking on a grass verge and about to step into the road, i jumped off my bike and with one tug pulled off the ice- cream box, it came away and the hedgehog had ice-cream over his face😊. Also being a Medical Professional i am often asked by elderly neighbours to have a look at their cat or dog, i will share these stories a bit futher on.
That's great. My favourite was a clip from a few years ago in Australia. Obviously during sweltering temperatures someone had laid out a basin full of water for a koala to sit in to cool off. I think he was adding water or even giving the koala a drink and saying "There you go mate" :p.

Wplains 09-14-17 08:16 PM

I just got a new German shepherd bitch. Her name is Dixie. We already have a male called Jack but he is really getting really old now. He's the sweetest dog on the face of the earth. It'm not sure about her yet.

BTW, that picture of the weird carcass that washed up in Texas is apparently some kind of eel that lives in the deep ocean. Must have been washed ashore by the hurricane. Horrible looking thing....😱

Citizen Rules 09-14-17 11:14 PM

I saved a spider today. It was in my car and so small that it was nearly invisible. I only seen it as it was hanging by a thread from the roof. So I caught the thread up in my hand and walked the spider over to a fence post. There he touched down and continued on his way.

Captain Steel 09-14-17 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1777618)
I just got a new German shepherd bitch.
That's not nice. ;)

Captain Steel 09-15-17 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1777687)
I saved a spider today. It was in my car and so small that it was nearly invisible. I only seen it as it was hanging by a thread from the roof. So I caught the thread up in my hand and walked the spider over to a fence post. There he touched down and continued on his way.
Kind of a similar story: last week I found this huge spider web attached to my back door. (Why do they build webs in the most high-traffic areas?)

Just to open the door I had to destroy the web. So I got a walking stick I had by the door and at first was glad because the ginormous spider in the web hopped right on it. But then he started running up the stick right toward my hand, so I panicked a little and turned the stick around, switching hands, but he reaches the end, loops over it and is now running toward my hand the stick is in again - and he's running like the Flash - it only took him about 2 seconds to run the length of a 5 foot stick. The whole time, I was moving toward a couple small trees and deposited the stick & spider at their base. (Then ran away like a little girl!)

Chypmunk 09-15-17 03:30 AM

@Dannii - I've changed my mind re the puppy, she should definitely be called "Siffre" :)

Told you I was good at naming things ;)

Wplains 09-15-17 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1777692)
That's not nice. ;)
Why, whatever do you mean, Sir? :D

Dannii 09-15-17 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1777726)
@Dannii - I've changed my mind re the puppy, she should definitely be called "Siffre" :)

Told you I was good at naming things ;)
You've thought of some great names Chyp! 😍. Reckon mum will have the final say as i heard her on the fone earlier saying 'we're picking Lulu up on Monday ', that's kinda finalised it, but Lulu gets my surname so i'm happy with that! 😁

Dannii 09-15-17 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1777618)
I just got a new German shepherd bitch. Her name is Dixie. We already have a male called Jack but he is really getting really old now. He's the sweetest dog on the face of the earth. It'm not sure about her yet.

BTW, that picture of the weird carcass that washed up in Texas is apparently some kind of eel that lives in the deep ocean. Must have been washed ashore by the hurricane. Horrible looking thing....😱
I love German Shepherds, dad had 2 when we were growing up, gorgeous dogs with a lovely nature😍. Is that the eel that has no eyes? Mum mentioned that last night.

Wplains 09-15-17 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777745)
I love German Shepherds, dad had 2 when we were growing up, gorgeous dogs with a lovely nature😍. Is that the eel that has no eyes? Mum mentioned that last night.
Yeah I love them too. This is the third GS we've had. First on was very fierce and we had to give him away. The second one is a total sweetheart but scares people to death with his huge fangs, lol. No one enters my garden without my allowing them in. Then he turns into man's best friend. I also had a black Lab - very friendly and would eat anything - used to steal chickens and packs of butter off the kitchen counters. Needless to say, he became quite fat.

Re the eel - I guess it is. They say it lives deep in the ocean which might account for the no eyes. Dark down there....

Dannii 09-15-17 09:29 AM

I had a black Labrador, he lived to be 16,he was going blind and lost a lot of weight so had to make that dreaded decision which is a blessing when the time comes. I often check a dog or a cat for a neighbour, even though they know i'm not medically qualified with animals they still ask so i oblige, especially for elderly people as their pets are their only companion if they live alone. The latest was an elderly dog who kept trying to chew something in his empty mouth, i opened his mouth and saw straight away the little fella had a piece of biscuit jammed in a gap between 2 teeth, he had been trying to dislodge it himself, it was still hard as his saliva hadn't softened it, so i reached in with my little finger and pushed it out then removed it. The old lady was nearly crying with relief😊

Dannii 09-15-17 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1777773)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777745)
Yeah I love them too. This is the third GS we've had. First on was very fierce and we had to give him away. The second one is a total sweetheart but scares people to death with his huge fangs, lol. No one enters my garden without my allowing them in. Then he turns into man's best friend. I also had a black Lab - very friendly and would eat anything - used to steal chickens and packs of butter off the kitchen counters. Needless to say, he became quite fat.

Re the eel - I guess it is. They say it lives deep in the ocean which might account for the no eyes. Dark down there....
I had a Boxer that stole a cooked chicken from a neighbours kitchen, i blamed the neighbour for leaving it unattended in a kitchen with the door open! Haha. I did replace it though but not in time for their dinner that evening😁

Dannii 09-15-17 09:50 AM

Another time i was asked to look at a dogs paw, it was slightly bleeding and the dog wouldn't put any weight on it, i checked and saw one of his claws was missing, the fleshy part was bleeding, i mixed salt in warm water and had the dog step into it while i cleaned it up, then put one of my own trainer socks on his paw to keep it clean, the claw grew back and the dog bought me a box of chocs!

Chypmunk 09-15-17 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777805)
Another time i was asked to look at a dogs paw, it was slightly bleeding and the dog wouldn't put any weight on it, i checked and saw one of his claws was missing, the fleshy part was bleeding, i mixed salt in warm water and had the dog step into it while i cleaned it up, then put one of my own trainer socks on his paw to keep it clean, the claw grew back and the dog bought me a box of chocs!
Hate to be the one to point this out Flossie - but from reading this thread I think there's a chance he actually might have stolen them ;)

Dannii 09-15-17 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1777806)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777805)
Hate to be the one to point this out Flossie - but from reading this thread I think there's a chance he actually might have stolen them ;)
Haha! 😆 maybe so, the little sweetheart kept my sock too!!

Dannii 09-15-17 10:13 AM

I love reading all these posts, i love animals, and although i don't like spiders or bugs they are all gods creatures and deserve to live. We have Dragon Flies here, or as kids call them Daddy Long Legs, i used to be terrified of them as a child cos they make a scratching sound as they skim the wall when they fly, but now when i have one at home it can stay until it flies away through my open window😁

Wplains 09-15-17 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777801)
I had a Boxer that stole a cooked chicken from a neighbours kitchen, i blamed the neighbour for leaving it unattended in a kitchen with the door open! Haha. I did replace it though but not in time for their dinner that evening😁
What my Lab stole was actually that night's dinner - a whole chicken I'd just roasted. The guilty look on his face upon discovery was priceless.... :rotfl:

Stirchley 09-15-17 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777082)
There was a spider in my bedroom recently, it was sat on top of freshly ironed clothes, i'd never harm them but i am scared of them and i wouldn't retrieve my ironed clothes until i knew it had moved on, about 6 hours later! 😆
It's easy to catch a spider & put it outside. I do it all the time. Take a small glass & a piece of paper towel. Quickly & gently scoop up the spider & cover it. Take outside & release. Spider bites are painful; otherwise I would leave them inside.

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777280)
I used to live in Cheshire with my husband, it's all countryside and farms. One day a field mouse ran across our kitchen floor, tiny little thing it was
Earlier this month my cats found a tiny mouse in the house, which they were batting around. Easily caught it & put it outside.

I was going to name my 2nd cat Lulu, but it kept morphing into Lobby Loo so that's what she became.

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777811)
I love reading all these posts, i love animals, and although i don't like spiders or bugs they are all gods creatures and deserve to live.
Amen to that. LOVE this thread.

Husband always says that if there is something outside that needs rescuing that I will find it. Or it will find me. Unfortunately, though I pray to Jesus that he will lead me to animals in need, I did not find the kitten in time who was killed on my street.

Stirchley 09-15-17 05:23 PM

I financially support several shelters/rescue organizations & this is one of my favorites. Elephants are so endangered & they are one of my favorite animals. How anyone can hurt an elephant is beyond my comprehension.

https://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

Dannii 09-15-17 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1778015)
It's easy to catch a spider & put it outside. I do it all the time. Take a small glass & a piece of paper towel. Quickly & gently scoop up the spider & cover it. Take outside & release. Spider bites are painful; otherwise I would leave them inside.

I used to live in Cheshire with my husband, it's all countryside and farms. One day a field mouse ran across our kitchen floor, tiny little thing it was
Earlier this month my cats found a tiny mouse in the house, which they were batting around. Easily caught it & put it outside.

I was going to name my 2nd cat Lulu, but it kept morphing into Lobby Loo so that's what she became.

I love reading all these posts, i love animals, and although i don't like spiders or bugs they are all gods creatures and deserve to live.

Husband always says that if there is something outside that needs rescuing that I will find it. Or it will find me. Unfortunately, though I pray to Jesus that he will lead me to animals in need, I did not find the kitten in time who was killed on my street.
I felt for you when you told us about the kitten, it was heartbreaking.

Dannii 09-15-17 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1778016)
I financially support several shelters/rescue organizations & this is one of my favorites. Elephants are so endangered & they are one of my favorite animals. How anyone can hurt an elephant is beyond my comprehension.

Elephants are beautiful creatures, they have a kind of smiley face, a bit like a dolphin, always seem to smile, or maybe i'm imagining it.

Dannii 09-15-17 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1777958)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1777801)
What my Lab stole was actually that night's dinner - a whole chicken I'd just roasted. The guilty look on his face upon discovery was priceless.... :rotfl:
Haha! 😆 i've seen that guilty look so many times! 'it wasn't me mum'!! 🐶

Dannii 09-15-17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1778015)

I normally let the spider find its own way out, but then i lie awake wondering where it is. Post anything you like here, there's no rules, it's a thread for all animal lovers😊

Citizen Rules 09-15-17 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1778079)
... Post anything you like here, there's no rules, it's a thread for all animal lovers😊
OK, but don't kick me out of the club:cool: I just killed some yellow jackets (wasp). They were starting to build a nest under the eve of my house. They are way to dangerous when they make a nest the size of a football and sting in mass, to let be. Indeed I got stung. Ouch....

Wplains 09-15-17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1778016)

They're anything but cute. On a safari in Africa they were the animals that scared me the most -- they are beyond HUGE. We came upon a small herd where one of the males had a gored shoulder. It looked swollen and infected. Sadly, the rangers said he would eventually die -- they don't interfere with wounded animals -- they neither kill nor help them, just let nature take it's course. It was a wonderful experience though to see the animals in their natural habitat. Put me off zoos for life.

Dannii 09-15-17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1778101)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1778079)
... Post anything you like here, there's no rules, it's a thread for all animal lovers😊
OK, but don't kick me out of the club:cool: I just killed some yellow jackets (wasp). They were starting to build a nest under the eve of my house. They are way to dangerous when they make a nest the size of a football and sting in mass, to let be. Indeed I got stung. Ouch....
Never heard them called yellow jackets before! I've been stung on my chin by a bee, as i looked down to see what it was it then went down my top😳

Wplains 09-15-17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1778123)
Never heard them called yellow jackets before! I've been stung on my chin by a bee, as i looked down to see what it was it then went down my top😳
What do you guys do with mosquitoes? Blow them gently away? What about fleas? Cockroaches? Head lice? As far as I'm concerned, insects aren't animals. Anything that has the temerity to think it can share my house or take a bite out of me, gets blown away asap. That includes rats...yuck! :sick:

Stirchley 09-15-17 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1778101)
We exterminated a nest that got into our dining room ceiling. I hate to kill a living thing, but sometimes it's necessary.

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1778103)
They're anything but cute. On a safari in Africa they were the animals that scared me the most -- they are beyond HUGE. ...Put me off zoos for life.
Where did I say that elephants are "cute". People need to respect their weight & size. Saw on a TV show an unfenced elephant to which you could feed bananas. Yes, its keeper was close by, but one guy let his small son give the elephant the bananas. Insanity! One swipe of its trunk could have killed the boy. People are so dumb.

Zoos are not ideal, but if a zoo can protect & breed an endangered animal, that's fine with me. Experts are saying that at the current rate, elephants could be extinct in 10 years.

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1778152)
What do you guys do with mosquitoes? Blow them gently away? What about fleas? Cockroaches? Head lice? As far as I'm concerned, insects aren't animals. Anything that has the temerity to think it can share my house or take a bite out of me, gets blown away asap. That includes rats...yuck! :sick:
You've told us this before. Sometimes you post simply to get a reaction. Silly.

cricket 09-15-17 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Being a driver, I've led many a dog home after wandering into the street. Only one time did I see one get hit, a little fella jogging across the street following another dog. Thankfully, it was a very small car that hit him. It was a very busy street so I blocked it with the truck and jumped out and scooped him up. A woman also pulled over and pointed out to me that there was an animal hospital only a couple doors down. I brought him in hoping for the best. I went back about an hour later and I was so happy to hear that he was going to make it. The owners were there by then and didn't say a word to me. They probably thought that it was me who hit him.

I've tamed a couple of feral cats and found them homes. I'm still trying to catch the young girl I've been feeding for the last month. She'll be getting her shots and getting fixed soon enough.

I was watering one of my hanging plants earlier in the summer when I was startled by something falling in the mulch. It turned out there was a nest in there with three chicks not ready to fly. I scooped up the little bastard and put him back.

Wplains 09-15-17 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1778174)
We exterminated a nest that got into our dining room ceiling. I hate to kill a living thing, but sometimes it's necessary.

Where did I say that elephants are "cute". People need to respect their weight & size. Saw on a TV show an unfenced elephant to which you could feed bananas. Yes, its keeper was close by, but one guy let his small son give the elephant the bananas. Insanity! One swipe of its trunk could have killed the boy. People are so dumb.

Zoos are not ideal, but if a zoo can protect & breed an endangered animal, that's fine with me. Experts are saying that at the current rate, elephants could be extinct in 10 years.
Where did I say anything was wrong with zoos? The only thing I meant was once you've seen animals in the wild, zoos are tame, boring and unexciting.

You've told us this before. Sometimes you post simply to get a reaction. Silly.
Glad you can read my mind and know exactly what I mean to do. You do seem to presume an awful lot. Byee...

Stirchley 09-15-17 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1778224)
Byee...
You'll be back. :)

Dannii 09-16-17 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1778200)
Being a driver, I've led many a dog home after wandering into the street. Only one time did I see one get hit, a little fella jogging across the street following another dog. Thankfully, it was a very small car that hit him. It was a very busy street so I blocked it with the truck and jumped out and scooped him up. A woman also pulled over and pointed out to me that there was an animal hospital only a couple doors down. I brought him in hoping for the best. I went back about an hour later and I was so happy to hear that he was going to make it. The owners were there by then and didn't say a word to me. They probably thought that it was me who hit him.

I've tamed a couple of feral cats and found them homes. I'm still trying to catch the young girl I've been feeding for the last month. She'll be getting her shots and getting fixed soon enough.

I was watering one of my hanging plants earlier in the summer when I was startled by something falling in the mulch. It turned out there was a nest in there with three chicks not ready to fly. I scooped up the little bastard and put him back.

That's happened when i had a garden, baby chicks falling out of their nest, one chick had no feathers so was very young, i picked him up and put him back in the nest, think it was a blue tit cos an adult blue tit was nearby.

Dannii 09-16-17 03:55 AM

This story is upsetting but does have a happy ending☺.
Watching TV one night with husband we heard a commotion in the street, thought we'd better see what was going on incase i was needed professionally, we went out and a guy running past us said he needed wire cutters cos a small dog was trapped by its paw on a fence, husband ran back inside for his toolbox and i ran to the crowd of people who where by a wire fence, the dog had tried to jump this fence but being a small dog his paw got caught in the gaps and he was hung upside down, 2 guys were holding the dog up so he wasn't just dangling down, husband ran out with the toolbox and had bolt cutters and cut the dog free, he was placed down and apart from beeing a little dazed he was fine☺ his owner was in tears. That night about 10 people rescued a little dog and it was the talk of the village for months.

Wplains 09-16-17 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1778357)
That's happened when i had a garden, baby chicks falling out of their nest, one chick had no feathers so was very young, i picked him up and put him back in the nest, think it was a blue tit cos an adult blue tit was nearby.
My dog kills birds that fall out of the nest. I don't know where they come from because I don't have any trees in my yard. The roof maybe?

Dannii 09-16-17 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1778378)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1778357)
My dog kills birds that fall out of the nest. I don't know where they come from because I don't have any trees in my yard. The roof maybe?
Maybe had a little nest up on the roof somewhere. I've seen a seagulls nest from a hotel window on a roof,it was on the opposite hotel and i could see the grey fluffy chicks walking about on the roof, their mum sat there watching them. It was great watching them.

I. Rex 09-16-17 10:34 AM

Oldest kid found a newborn kitten under our deck once. it looked in rough shape. had been abandoned by the mother and the rest of the litter. was clearly the runt. could barely walk. it seemed to have a problem with its leg. i figured it was a developmental issue and wouldnt last the night so i said oh sure you can keep it figuring we could at least make its last few hours comfortable then bury it in the back. a week later it was tearing around the house like a missile. climbing on things and knocking them down. still have it today ten years later and its the fastest cat ive ever seen. shows how poor my medical diagnoses are...

i also keep bees. not really a rescue story but the more we do to save colonies from various issues plaguing them these days the better. and theres something about colony animals that i find really intriguing. neighbors think im nuts though out there in my big white suit surrounded by a cloud of bees...

Chypmunk 09-16-17 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by I. Rex (Post 1778445)
....neighbors think im nuts though out there in my big white suit surrounded by a cloud of bees...
Just smile at them and remember how much dafter you'd look without the bees ;)

cricket 09-16-17 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm still trying to catch the young girl I've been feeding for the last month. She'll be getting her shots and getting fixed soon enough.
CAPTURED!

Chypmunk 09-16-17 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1778473)
CAPTURED!
Well done but do please at least try and house the poor thing the right way up :eek:

Jeff Costello 09-16-17 12:03 PM

Truly not worth a mention, but couple of months ago I noticed a small baby bird shivering and standing motionless in the corner of the veranda. It apparently fell from a rooftop's nest, but was too little and weak to fly away. Because local cats could've easily slaughter it, I decided to catch it and have it rest in the house. I placed the bird in the small shallow bowl and gave it some water and seeds. I let her rest for day and half and than put her back in the nest from where I very likely witnessed its first flight !

Dannii 09-16-17 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1778473)
I'm still trying to catch the young girl I've been feeding for the last month. She'll be getting her shots and getting fixed soon enough.
CAPTURED!

It's a lovely cat. I don't have much experience with cats, i did check one over for an elderly woman when she said her cat felt hot, i told her his ears looked a bit wet inside and it could have an ear infection, she got her daughter to take the cat to the vet and it had an ear infection and was put on medication. How long did it take to catch the cat Cricket?

Dannii 09-16-17 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Costello (Post 1778483)
Truly not worth a mention, but couple of months ago I noticed a small baby bird shivering and standing motionless in the corner of the veranda. It apparently fell from a rooftop's nest, but was too little and weak to fly away. Because local cats could've easily slaughter it, I decided to catch it and have it rest in the house. I placed the bird in the small shallow bowl and gave it some water and seeds. I let her rest for day and half and than put her back in the nest from where I very likely witnessed its first flight !
That is so sweet! 👍👍

Dannii 09-16-17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by I. Rex (Post 1778445)
Oldest kid found a newborn kitten under our deck once. it looked in rough shape. had been abandoned by the mother and the rest of the litter. was clearly the runt. could barely walk. it seemed to have a problem with its leg. i figured it was a developmental issue and wouldnt last the night so i said oh sure you can keep it figuring we could at least make its last few hours comfortable then bury it in the back. a week later it was tearing around the house like a missile. climbing on things and knocking them down. still have it today ten years later and its the fastest cat ive ever seen. shows how poor my medical diagnoses are...

i also keep bees. not really a rescue story but the more we do to save colonies from various issues plaguing them these days the better. and theres something about colony animals that i find really intriguing. neighbors think im nuts though out there in my big white suit surrounded by a cloud of bees...
I've only ever seen one person suited up tending to his bees. Do your bees produce honey? What's the role of the queen bee?

I. Rex 09-16-17 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1778615)
I've only ever seen one person suited up tending to his bees. Do your bees produce honey? What's the role of the queen bee?

oh yes. more honey then I know what to do with which is why my second hobby is making mead. :D Its amazing the variation in taste the honey has depending on the flowers around where the hive is located. Believe it or not Avocado flowers make for some really good honey.

The queen is there to breed and make lots and lots of baby bees. you usually get a few seasons out of the queen (my current one is named "Dorothy"). A new one will be born once the old one is on its last legs generally or sometimes earlier on and the new one dispenses with the current queen and takes over. Only difference between the queens and the drones and the workers is how much royal jelly they get fed while a larva. otherwise they are all born the same.

cricket 09-16-17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1778583)
How long did it take to catch the cat Cricket?
I've had the trap about a month but this was the 1st time she went all the way in. The lady picked her up a short time ago. They will decide if she is fit for adoption. If not, she will be returned to us with an outdoor heated cathouse.

Dannii 09-16-17 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by I. Rex (Post 1778643)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1778615)

oh yes. more honey then I know what to do with which is why my second hobby is making mead. :D Its amazing the variation in taste the honey has depending on the flowers around where the hive is located. Believe it or not Avocado flowers make for some really good honey.

The queen is there to breed and make lots and lots of baby bees. you usually get a few seasons out of the queen (my current one is named "Dorothy"). A new one will be born once the old one is on its last legs generally or sometimes earlier on and the new one dispenses with the current queen and takes over. Only difference between the queens and the drones and the workers is how much royal jelly they get fed while a larva. otherwise they are all born the same.
Sounds very interesting, my mum loves honey on toast, i love it on ice cream. 😋

Dannii 09-16-17 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1778658)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1778583)
How long did it take to catch the cat Cricket?
I've had the trap about a month but this was the 1st time she went all the way in. The lady picked her up a short time ago. They will decide if she is fit for adoption. If not, she will be returned to us with an outdoor heated cathouse.
An outdoor heated cathouse sound like the absolute ultimate home for her👍👍

Dannii 09-16-17 07:51 PM

We are picking Lulu up on monday, i'm extremely exited. She's in a dogs home at the min, i've rang a few times to make sure she's eating ok, and that things are going to plan🐶

cricket 09-16-17 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1778875)
We are picking Lulu up on monday, i'm extremely exited. She's in a dogs home at the min, i've rang a few times to make sure she's eating ok, and that things are going to plan🐶
Pics asap!

Dannii 09-17-17 04:12 AM

I keep meaning to say that when i've helped to give a cat or a dog medication i find it a good idea to apply a bit of butter on a tablet then place inside the animals mouth, chances are they like the taste and chew it, plus with it having a bit of butter on it should go down easily😊

Wplains 09-17-17 04:11 PM

How exciting!

Hope you have better luck than us. We got a sick puppy. She was infested with a parasite - she had to spend a night at the vet with a drip she became so thin and dehydrated. She still hasn't recovered her normal weight though I'm feeding her 3 times a day. Not only that, my older dog got sick too with the same problem. Cost a pretty penny in vet fees! :rolleyes:

Be careful about sending pictures from your phone or tablet. Apparently, they can be traced back to you. Not sure how it's done but someone warned about this some time back. Just saying....

Dannii 09-17-17 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1779201)
How exciting!

Hope you have better luck than us. We got a sick puppy. She was infested with a parasite - she had to spend a night at the vet with a drip she became so thin and dehydrated. She still hasn't recovered her normal weight though I'm feeding her 3 times a day. Not only that, my older dog got sick too with the same problem. Cost a pretty penny in vet fees! :rolleyes:

Be careful about sending pictures from your phone or tablet. Apparently, they can be traced back to you. Not sure how it's done but someone warned about this some time back. Just saying....
Ok thank you! Lulu seems fit and well, hopefully she stays that way, she's got a pink doggy bed, pink food and water bowls, pink leash and collar, and a few squeaky toys, all waiting for her! I took her for a little walk earlier around the dogs home, she is gonna be a handful! 😁

Wplains 09-17-17 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779212)
Ok thank you! Lulu seems fit and well, hopefully she stays that way, she's got a pink doggy bed, pink food and water bowls, pink leash and collar, and a few squeaky toys, all waiting for her! I took her for a little walk earlier around the dogs home, she is gonna be a handful! 😁
Lol, mine only got a pink collar. The bed is grey...hubby bought it.

They're all a handful. How old is she? Mine is 3 months and she is hugely annoying lol - chews on everything and really annoys the older dog, poor thing. I'll bet he is thinking: I had such a nice quiet life, why did you bring this creature in to make my life hell! :D

Dannii 09-18-17 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1779297)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779212)
Lol, mine only got a pink collar. The bed is grey...hubby bought it.

They're all a handful. How old is she? Mine is 3 months and she is hugely annoying lol - chews on everything and really annoys the older dog, poor thing. I'll bet he is thinking: I had such a nice quiet life, why did you bring this creature in to make my life hell! :D
Ahhhh i bet you wouldn't be without either of them now, a dog definitely completes a family!😊. Lulu is 5 months old, when i first saw her she lay on her back and i was tickling her pink belly, i thought if she thinks i'm doing this all the time she's right! Haha. Lovable little dog she is. She's gonna be living at mums as i continue my studies, but she'll be at my place at weekends, and spoilt rotten! 😁

Dannii 09-18-17 09:32 AM

Lulu has arrived! 🐶. Currently fast asleep after her first car journey.

Stirchley 09-18-17 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779621)
We.want.photos. We.want.photos.

Dannii 09-18-17 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1779865)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779621)
We.want.photos. We.want.photos.
I'll sort some out, she's had people visiting us just to see her!

Stirchley 09-18-17 03:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)

My two cats are creaming themselves for this new Fancy Feast. They get only one can of this per week as a treat.

Kandy to the vet this morning for her annual physical. A year ago vet told me her gums have inflammation. Now it is worse & in 6 months' time I must make a decision to have some of her teeth extracted as gum condition will only worsen.

Stirchley 09-18-17 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779867)
One of my neighbors has 4 pit bull puppies who are 8 weeks old. I was playing with them outside this morning. So stinking cute though they dirtied my dress, chewed up my sneaker laces, & peed on my sneakers!

Stirchley 09-18-17 03:35 PM

What is a dogs home? Is that a shelter/pound situation?

Dannii 09-18-17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1779868)

My two cats are creaming themselves for this new Fancy Feast. They get only one can of this per week as a treat.

Kandy to the vet this morning for her annual physical. A year ago vet told me her gums have inflammation. Now it is worse & in 6 months' time I must make a decision to have some of her teeth extracted as gum condition will only worsen.

She is gorgeous. It may be worth having some teeth extracted. It's never an easy decision when faced with dilemmas over our pets.

Dannii 09-18-17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1779871)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779867)
One of my neighbors has 4 pit bull puppies who are 8 weeks old. I was playing with them outside this morning. So stinking cute though they dirtied my dress, chewed up my sneaker laces, & peed on my sneakers!
😄 i've had to puppy proof my home and mums home, all my shoes are inside my wardrobe, cushions are on top of the wardrobe, and the kitchen door is closed! When we brought her home she just charged in, no nerves or anything, she had a nap after the car ride home and woke up when she smelt mums cooking!

Dannii 09-18-17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1779872)
What is a dogs home? Is that a shelter/pound situation?
Yeah the Dogs Trust, it's a re-homing centre.

Stirchley 09-18-17 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779879)
She is gorgeous. It may be worth having some teeth extracted. It's never an easy decision when faced with dilemmas over our pets.
My 10 month old kitten died last summer post-teeth extraction. I am still completely devastated.

Here is a photo of him in my sock drawer - [Prince] Harry.

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779886)
So why would a cute puppy be in a re-homing center? I presumed that you had bought Lulu from a breeder or pet store. Here in America it would be unusual to see a puppy at the pound or shelter.

Dannii 09-18-17 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1779917)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779879)
My 10 month old kitten died last summer post-teeth extraction. I am still completely devastated.

Here is a photo of him in my sock drawer - [Prince] Harry.

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779886)
So why would a cute puppy be in a re-homing center? I presumed that you had bought Lulu from a breeder or pet store. Here in America it would be unusual to see a puppy at the pound or shelter.
The people who had Lulu decided they no longer wanted her, don't know why, she's a beauty, she was in the Dogs Trust for about 3wks. Losing a pet is like losing family, losing my last dog was as bad as losing my husband. Harry looks adorable, such a shame when a pet dies at a young age.

Stirchley 09-18-17 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779935)
The people who had Lulu decided they no longer wanted her, don't know why, she's a beauty, she was in the Dogs Trust for about 3wks. Losing a pet is like losing family, losing my last dog was as bad as losing my husband. Harry looks adorable, such a shame when a pet dies at a young age.
So glad you have rescued a puppy. Nutty people across the street (who look like they have no money at all) drove all the way to Pennsylvania to buy a Husky puppy for $600. Lovely dog, but 4,000 cats/dogs are euthanized daily in America.

Dannii 09-18-17 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1779959)
Originally Posted by Dannii (Post 1779935)
So glad you have rescued a puppy. Nutty people across the street (who look like they have no money at all) drove all the way to Pennsylvania to buy a Husky puppy for $600. Lovely dog, but 4,000 cats/dogs are euthanized daily in America.
That is way too many. All of my dogs have been rescue dogs. I've also taken live fish in too, a friend of husbands had a centre for rescued fish and every so often he'd ask us could we take one in, we had a coldwater tank and an aquarium at the time.