Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Return Of The King [Kong] (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=4017)

The Silver Bullet 03-31-03 08:52 AM

Return Of The King [Kong]

PETER JACKSON DIRECTING KING KONG FOR 2005

Five-time Academy Award nominee Peter Jackson will direct King Kong for Universal Pictures, it was announced today by Stacey Snider, Chairman, Universal Pictures. Jackson will begin work on the film immediately following the release of The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King, the third and final installment of his blockbuster trilogy based upon the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien. Jackson will write the screenplay with his partner Fran Walsh and Lord Of The Rings co-writer Philippa Boyens. Jackson and Walsh will produce the film under their WingNut Films banner. Universal Pictures will release King Kong worldwide in 2005.

Jackson will bring his sweeping cinematic vision to the iconic story of the gigantic ape-monster captured in the wilds and brought to civilization where he meets his tragic fate.

The screenplay by Jackson, Walsh and Boyens is based on the original story by Merian C. Cooper and Edgar Wallace, which became the classic 1933 RKO Radio Pictures film, directed by adventurers Cooper and Ernest B. Schoesdack. The RKO King Kong has been designated by the National Film Registry of the United States Library of Congress as one of the 100 Greatest Films and chosen by that organization for permanent preservation as a national treasure.

Jackson will employ the latest motion picture technology to cinematically portray the timeless tale of the beast and his beauty. He will expand on the chapters of the tale that take place in the mysterious and dangerous jungles of Skull Island, and his Kong promises to be a unique and breathtaking creation. As with his Lord of the Rings trilogy, Jackson will shoot King Kong on location in his native New Zealand. The visual effects will be again accomplished by his New Zealand-based company Weta, Ltd., who have twice been honored with the Visual Effects Oscar® for their work on Lord Of The Rings. They will supplement practical locations in creating primordial jungles and '30s-period America.

"No film has captivated my imagination more than King Kong. I'm making movies today because I saw this film when I was 9 years old. It has been my sustained dream to reinterpret this classic story for a new age," Jackson stated. "The story of Kong offers everything that any storyteller could hope for: an archetypal narrative, thrilling action, resonating emotion and memorable characters. It has endured for precisely these reasons and I am honored to be a part of its continuing legacy."

Snider noted, "Peter Jackson is a filmmaker uniquely capable of capturing the core appeal of enduring classics and in expanding the visual language of motion pictures, as inarguably evidenced in his landmark achievement with the Lord of the Rings films. We are thrilled to be working with Peter and Fran, and we are confident that their execution of King Kong will amaze moviegoers. Anyone who has seen the first two installments of The Lord of the Rings knows that Peter will bring Kong to life as a real character. His vision for the tragic tale of the misunderstood creature, with its poignant character development and technological wonder, will make King Kong compulsory viewing for any real movie lover.
Holy God.

n7of9 03-31-03 09:08 AM

EXCELLENT...i love king kong ;) thanks for the head-up

Caitlyn 03-31-03 07:22 PM

I always loved the old 1930’s Kong and I can't wait to see what Jackson does with this… Thanks Silver…

r3port3r66 03-31-03 08:07 PM

Not much to get excited about these days, but this news certainly helps. Thanks SB!

jrs 03-31-03 08:38 PM

Originally posted by r3port3r66
Not much to get excited about...

You nuts??? After hearing that ( and I should have posted it a long time ago), I can't wait. :nope:

theshape82 04-01-03 01:14 AM

:eek: :yup: wow!!!!...i can't wait for this one!!!

The Silver Bullet 04-01-03 04:29 AM

For the most part I hate remakes. I'm interested in seeing what Jackson does with it, but I can't help but feel that it is a step backwards for him [but then again, how could he really take a step forward from where he is right now?]

I look forward to it only because it is Jackson, but I won't be suprised if it really isn't anything special.

LordSlaytan 04-01-04 10:52 AM

I read in the paper this morning that Jack Black has been cast as the jerk showman that ruined Kong's life. He plays opposite Naomi Watts.

bluebottle 04-01-04 02:02 PM

And Adrien Brody is to play the male lead, apparently.

FilmStudent2004 04-04-04 08:25 PM

Well, Jackson did an amazing job with Lord of the Rings. King Kong is not my style, but it may be really good, it depends on how well the script it written for starters.

mooch 04-11-04 06:45 PM

The script I read on the internet is ok and it's probably gone through a million re-writes since, considering it was written before Peter Jackson started filming "The lord of the rings". So with any luck it should be a million times better, which means it should be something worth waiting for.

But I still can't wait!

led_zeppelin 04-11-04 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I read in the paper this morning that Jack Black has been cast as the jerk showman that ruined Kong's life. He plays opposite Naomi Watts.
I heard the same, only I didn't read it in the newspaper. (I'm 14, I don't like the newspaper. Not even sports, only showtimes)

As for Adrien Brody, I don't really care for him, and I would rather somebody else get the part. But Jack Black will be interesting.

LordSlaytan 04-11-04 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
I heard the same, only I didn't read it in the newspaper. (I'm 14, I don't like the newspaper. Not even sports, only showtimes)

As for Adrien Brody, I don't really care for him, and I would rather somebody else get the part. But Jack Black will be interesting.
I haven't heard of Brodie's involvment. The original didn't have the character that Jeff Bridges played in the remake, and this is supposed to be faithful to the original. My guess is that it's a rumor.

led_zeppelin 04-11-04 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I haven't heard of Brodie's involvment. The original didn't have the character that Jeff Bridges played in the remake, and this is supposed to be faithful to the original. My guess is that it's a rumor.
JUMPIN JEHOSEPHAT YEHAAA! (to quote Lawrence Fishburne)

Nitro_69 04-14-04 08:58 PM

Hmm Brody and Watts would be nice but Jack Black just makes me worry for Peter Jackson's career.This is all going to end badly for Peter Jackson, this movie will probably do for him what reindeer games and Gigli did for Ben Afflect. And what about "the Hobit" i thought that was going to be released in 2005 or so.He must be busy. lol just had an idea, "King Kong in NewZealand"

jrs 06-12-04 08:44 PM

Andy Serkis is King Kong!

Originally Posted by comingsoon.net
Andy Serkis, who brought to life Gollum's movements and voice in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, is reuniting with Peter Jackson to become the man behind the monster in Universal Pictures' King Kong.

Like he did for Gollum, Serkis will provide motion capture reference for the character of Kong, who will eventually be realized as a completely computer-generated creature.

Serkis also has been cast as Lumpy the cook, a member of the crew of the Venture, the tramp steamer that sails to Skull Island.

"I expect this time round will be a very different experience for both Andy and myself as we'll actually get to shoot extended drama sequences together," Jackson said. "It will be a little weird seeing Andy out of his Gollum gimp suit -- and I hope we can both make the adjustment!"

Commenting on Kong himself, Jackson said: "While Andy will provide very valuable onset reference, this doesn't mean we will be softening Kong by attempting to humanize him. The power of the story lies in the fact that this is a savage beast from a hostile environment, and we don't intend to compromise that."

VMax 06-12-04 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
For the most part I hate remakes. I'm interested in seeing what Jackson does with it, but I can't help but feel that it is a step backwards for him [but then again, how could he really take a step forward from where he is right now?]

I look forward to it only because it is Jackson, but I won't be suprised if it really isn't anything special.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I will say that if there's anyone that can pull this off it will be Peter Jackson.

But I would agree not to get your hopes up.