Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Good Will Hunting review (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=6435)

billthebutcher 01-25-04 04:29 PM

Good Will Hunting review

Good Will Hunting is a touching drama written by the then-unknown screenwriting duo Affleck/Damon. It is surprising that two people with absolutely no experience can write a screenplay filled to the brim with emotion.

Matt Damon plays the lead character of Will Hunting. Hunting, throughout the movie tries to get relationships with people, and in the end, just pushes them away.

Damon acted brilliantly, but the heart of the film is with the underrated Minnie Driver, who plays Hunting's woman friend. She acts great, for someone who hasn't had any experience.

The surprise of Good Will Hunting was the emotional dexterity of the script, which at some points was hilariously funny, while at other points made people pour tears.

This film got snubbed at the Oscars because people don't like movies with bad content. Just don't let the young un's watch it without adult supervision.

billthebutcher rating- ****

Loner 01-25-04 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by billthebutcher
This film got snubbed at the Oscars because people don't like movies with bad content.
The film didn't get snubbed; Robin Williams won for best supporting actor, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon won for best writing.

billthebutcher 01-25-04 06:04 PM

"Snubbed"

Good Will Hunting got snubbed for Best Picture, and Supporting Actress.

led_zeppelin 01-26-04 10:27 AM

And what exactly do you mean by them not having acting experience? They have played in quite a few films before GWH came out. And Robin Williams is the MAN! Just thought I'd say that.

LordSlaytan 01-26-04 12:47 PM

Not winning or even being nominated for every award isn't exactly being snubbed. They were praised quite a bit for the project and didn't get snubbed at all. But hey, we're splitting hairs here.

billthebutcher 01-26-04 02:31 PM

Acting Experience

I have never heard of Affleck or Damon before 1997. Can anybody give me any info on their screenwriting roles before good will hunting?

JANthology 01-31-04 04:25 PM

I donno much about Damon before this. I will look into it, he is a superior actor, but i thought affleck was pretty enjoyable in his roles with Kevin Smith. Chasing Amy is his best.

led_zeppelin 01-31-04 09:47 PM

I have never heard of Affleck or Damon before 1997. Can anybody give me any info on their screenwriting roles before good will hunting?

oh screenwriting! I thought you meant acting experience. I don't know of anything before that they actually WROTE either.

KasperKristensen 05-06-09 02:04 PM

Re: Good Will Hunting review

Review

KasperKristensen 05-06-09 02:07 PM

Wasn't this thread just named Good Will Hunting, just before?

KasperKristensen 05-06-09 02:09 PM

Well whadayaknow I'm in the wrong thread :D

RagingBull 05-07-09 07:44 AM

Re: "Snubbed"

Originally Posted by billthebutcher (Post 136805)
Supporting actress? You got to be kidding me, right?

The Prestige 05-07-09 01:15 PM

Re: "Snubbed"

Originally Posted by RagingBull (Post 528461)
Supporting actress? You got to be kidding me, right?

Lol, that's what I was thinking. I like Minnie Driver, I think she's quite easy on the eye, but she didn't do anything special in her role. Part of that was because the character was a little underwritten, mind. She didn't do a bad job, but to call it Oscar worthy is taking it too far.