Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is Hollywood Jewish? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=4011)

r3port3r66 03-29-03 04:25 PM

Is Hollywood Jewish?

I hope this thread doesn't offend anyone, I just thought it was an interesting topic. I've seen an interesting statistic that says Jewish people make up 2.5 percent of the population and 60% of Hollywood. Knowing this, many politicians have criticized Hollywood for being too violent, having too much sex and bad language. Also, Marlon Brando came out publicly, saying some very anti-semetic things about Hollywood. Personally, I think he's wacko.

It is just very curious to me that African Americans, or Asian Americans, or any other ethnic sector of the US doesn't have a greater, or equal role in Hollywood. How is this possible?

And what does Brando mean by this?

"Hollywood is run by Jews; it is owned by Jews--and they should have a greater sensitivity about the issue of people who are suffering. Because...we have seen...the greaseball, we've seen the Chink, we've seen the slit-eyed dangerous Jap, we have seen the wily Filipino, we've seen everything but we never saw the kike. Because they knew perfectly well, that that is where you draw the [line]."
--Brando on Larry King Live

verbal penguin 03-29-03 05:34 PM

You'll get similar statistics if you inspect a list of all the Noble prize winners.

Holden Pike 03-29-03 09:02 PM

Oy.

I'm not offended, it's just a patently ridiculous question.

And trying to decipher anything Brando has to say is rather a waste of time. He was a great actor, but he's a frippin' nutball first and foremost now.

Yoda 03-29-03 09:10 PM

The unwritten tenets of the Jewish people breed success. There's no way around it, as the number of Jews in most professional positions is completely disproportionate when juxtaposed with their overall percentage of the populace.

It is not their race or religion that accounts for this, but their overall culture. It is directed in all the right ways, and oiled in all the right places. A detailed breakdown of their remarkable philosophy towards education, work, and life in general can be found in The Jewish Phenomenon by Steven Silbiger. It's a wickedly insightful book, yet still a relatively light read.

20 chutzpah points for posting such a potentially controversial thread, by the way.

n7of9 03-30-03 07:48 AM

is hollywood jewish? you're kidding right?? why the question mark? i thought it was common knowledge....you're living in a dreamworld if you don't already know the answer...i would post that as a statement, as such...

is hollywood jewish! [insert raise of eyebrows]

verbal penguin 03-30-03 10:58 AM

Yoda, don't you think race and religion have an effect on culture?

Yoda 03-30-03 12:24 PM

Originally posted by verbal penguin
Yoda, don't you think race and religion have an effect on culture?
Somewhat. Only a fool obsessed with political correctness would try to deny that various races and religions seem to lean towards excellence in certain fields. But being born into a Jewish family is not what gives a Jewish boy that above-average likelihood of success. It is what his parents emphasize and encourage that'll determine that.

Nurture over nature, in other words.

Caitlyn 03-30-03 01:30 PM

Hollywood was created by Jewish immigrants so it would stand to reason a lot of them are still around… As far as the politicians… that shouldn’t be too hard to figure out since several organizations (voters) have denounced Hollywood films…

“Kike” means “nasty undesirable alien”

r3port3r66 03-30-03 04:03 PM

Yikes! I'm going to get my self into trouble here for being as un-PC as Don Rickles[send all e-mails to me not the webmaster].

But I think what Brando ( :dizzy: ) is saying is that we've seen derogatory portrayals of African Americans, Asians and every other American ethnic stereotype, but never a movie featuring a negative stereotype of American Jewish people. In fact, Best Picture Oscars go to uplifting films about Jews overcoming odds.
:humble:

Yoda 03-30-03 04:16 PM

Originally posted by r3port3r66
But I think what Brando ( :dizzy: ) is saying is that we've seen derogatory portrayals of African Americans, Asians and every other American ethnic stereotype, but never a movie featuring a negative stereotype of American Jewish people.
It's pretty hard to make fun of a group of highly intelligent, successful, philanthropic people whose race has been put through a number of horrible struggles. There just ain't a whole lot of comedy there.

verbal penguin 03-30-03 04:22 PM

Jews are constantly laughed at just like any other American ethnic group. See, Snatch, for example.

r3port3r66 03-30-03 04:29 PM

Yoda, I can think of a number of epithets used by the misguided public, mainly to decribe certain ethnic sects and their sterotypes. I can also think of several movies that contain realizations of such characterizations. Now, being realistic for just a second, there are certain epithets out there that are used to describe Jewish people, but they don't seem to make it into any script approved by Hollywood. Which doesn't seem fair, or realistic.

Herod 03-30-03 04:45 PM

Reporter, the problem with that is that all the jewish stereotypes aren't interesting enough to make a movie. And while the same can be said for other races and peoples, look at the movies that contain these stereotypes, most of them appear to be self-exploitative.

Anyways, the answer is yes, we do run Hollywood.
An old story I've heard goes something like this:

These two old jews were sitting next to each other on a park bench, and one of them looks down from his copy of Tikkun (a primarily Jewish magazine) to see his friend reading a copy of a popular magazine for Neo-Nazis.

"Oy! Hershel, what are you doing reading a publication like that? Don't you know that's all anti-semitic propaganda?"

His friend Hershel put down the magazine and told him. "I've tried for years to read Tikkun, but whenever I do, all I see are stories about anti-Semitism throughout the world. And stories of how are people are hated, and being killed and harassed everywhere."

His friend thought about this, and then Hershel continued.

"But when I read this Neo-Nazi publication, it's full of stories about the Jews running Hollywood, and controlling politics. According to this magazine, we seem to be doing pretty well.
So I've decided to go with the one that makes me feel better."

verbal penguin 03-30-03 05:05 PM

This reminds me of a true WWII story.

The Nazis have sent to the Japanese tons of anti-semetic propoganda. In it, it was explained that the Jews rule the west. They control all the multi-billion corporations, it said, and they operate the media. They are truely demonic, it concluded.
The Nazis were sure that this will make the Japanese support their cause.

After reading the material, the Japanses generals that ruled the country gathered together to discuss this new info, that was kindly provided by the Germans. What did they say? They said, "if the Jews are so strong and powerful, maybe we should join them."
They seriously considered trashing their alliance with the German, and ally with the Jews.

It is not known how the meeting ended, but it is known that during the war, not a single order to kill civillian Jews was ever issued by Japanese commanders.

hehe.

r3port3r66 03-30-03 05:13 PM

True Herod, true. But those self-exploitive scripts are approved by Hollywood higher-ups. And as n7 says "Is Hollywood Jewish?" shouldn't be a question, but a statement. And I think your story about the two Jewish people on a park bench would make a rather interesting movie, if only to explore, honestly, the concept of Jewish discrimination in America and what factors cause it to exist.

Also, VerbalP, I'm not really talking about movies that make fun of any one culture. I'm talking about an honest portrayal of the Jewish American culture taken directly from the history books (warts and all). These types of movies are abundant when it comes to African Americans, Asians and etc. The uneducated African American slave for instance, or the subservient frugal Chinaman. Of course films like Rudy portray the discrimination of Jews, but they never address why they are discriminated against, and how the stereotype was formed.

Herod 03-30-03 05:16 PM

Of course films like Rudy portray the discrimination of Jews, but they never address why they are discriminated against, and how the stereotype was formed.
I'm a believer in that there is some truth behind almost every stereotype.
But regardless of that, that particular topic is some incredibly dangerous ground.

r3port3r66 03-30-03 05:29 PM

You're right Herod. Perhaps Holden is right; the question is "patently ridiculous".

Perhaps Hollywood and ticket buyers feel more comfortable watching such ethnically diverse, and honest depictions of race, in classics like Gangs of New York and The Godfather.

nebbit 03-31-03 04:47 AM

What does it matter that there are more Jews in Hollywood???? or any other race in other places?, Melbourne Australia has the largest Greek community out side Greece SOOOOO! They are just people so who cares about races etc etc.:rolleyes:

Revenge of Mr M 03-31-03 05:38 AM

Hollywood is so Jewish it's unbelievable. It's neither a good or a bad thing, but it does tend to influence the story pattern of movies. Maybe they are responsible for all the crap that's spewing out these days :eek: I am of course kidding

nebbit 03-31-03 06:25 AM

I know what you mean here in Australia there are so many Aussies and you should the infuence they have over the content of movies.

glad your kidding

:cool: