Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Business & Box Office Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ocean's Eleven, or Harry Potter? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=1309)

Yoda 11-19-01 11:14 AM

Ocean's Eleven, or Harry Potter?

Ok, Harry Potter looks to remain in first place at the Box Office for the next two weekends (that's three at the top overall, to start it's release). After that, however, on it's fourth weekend of release, "Ocean's Eleven" is going to be released. Now, simply put, how long will Potter hold out? It's got the first 3 covered, and there's no way it'll get 5 ("Vanilla Sky," "Not Another Teen Movie," and "The Royal Tennebaums" all come out on it's 5th weekend)...so, will it remain atop for 4?

Not, granted, it'll be 20 times easier to tell whether or not it can hold out against "Ocean's Eleven," once we've seen what it pulls in next weekend, but let's get this debate started early. :) What do you guys think?

spudracer 11-19-01 11:19 AM

Harry had his fun, but he won't last against Ocean's Eleven. Just too much star power in "Eleven."

Yoda 11-19-01 11:22 AM

Yeah, I'm leaning towards that option myself. Potter will likely take in around $45-50 million next weekend, an $20-30 after that...leaving it siginificantly under $30, in all likelihood, when it comes up against "Ocean's Eleven," which will probably out-gross it something like $27-30 million, to $18-22 million...but then again, we'll really have to see how things go. The second weekend will tell us an awful lot about this...as soon as the second weekend numbers are in, I'll speak about this with a lot more confidence, and cast my vote. :)

sadesdrk 11-19-01 12:10 PM

I surely hope Ocean's Eleven will break Potter's spell.;) I saw the poster for it while I was walking around down town Friday night. It didn't even show anybody, just had a bunch of names, and then the words," Are you in, or out?" I'm pretty excited, but is everyone else? i haven't seen any teasers on T.V. Have you?

ryanpaige 11-19-01 04:40 PM

I see teasers on TV for Ocean's 11 all the time (plus Barbara Walters did a whole hour with the cast on Friday night).

spudracer 11-19-01 07:15 PM

Originally posted by sadesdrk
I'm pretty excited, but is everyone else? i haven't seen any teasers on T.V. Have you?
Sadie, not to come down on you, but a few weeks ago you weren't even interested in this movie being mentioned simply because your pal Julia Roberts is in it. Is there a change of heart now???

sadesdrk 11-19-01 07:19 PM

No...No...No..No...I never said I wasn't interested, I said I didn't know she was in it. Then someone told me, and it dampened my mood...but of course I'm gonna see it. I wouldn't miss it. I'll just plug my ears and close my eyes when she's on;D

spudracer 11-19-01 07:22 PM

:laugh: I can just see it now. Packed theater...on the screen in walks Julia and one person in the audience is heard going La la la la hmmm hmm hmm hmmm la la la la...:laugh:

sadesdrk 11-19-01 07:24 PM

Seriously...that's what I'll be doing. It's better than watching and getting pissed. I get pissed.:furious: :laugh:

Timing 11-22-01 05:13 AM

I saw part of the BaBa WaWa special on it and I'm looking forward to it. A really strong cast with great potential I'd say.

Mr M 11-22-01 06:16 AM

Despite my disdain for the Harry Potter movie, too many people will be fooled into seeing it and it will remain top.

ryanpaige 11-22-01 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Mr M
Despite my disdain for the Harry Potter movie, too many people will be fooled into seeing it and it will remain top.
Even after nearly a month in release, you think Harry Potter will still be drawing in the huge crowds to that extent?

Yoda 11-22-01 09:13 PM

I disagree with Mr M...but it won't a blowout, I don't think, Ryan. LeesMovieInfo.com, which is very, very good at making prognostications, has Potter pulling in just a shade under $70 million this weekend! Personally I think it'll be closer to $55-60, but it's not unreasonable to think that it's fourth weekend could have it around $20 million. "Ocean's Eleven," IMO, will have more like $25-30...but it could be close.

ryanpaige 11-23-01 09:14 PM

I wouldn't expect it to be a blowout, either, but Mr. M's post made it seem like his opinion was that it would be a blowout in favor of HP.

Yoda 11-23-01 09:22 PM

I didn't detect that implication, but you could be right. Anyway, "Ocean's Eleven" is leading the pack, and rightfully so. It'll be interesting to watch...a film doing 4 weekends like that is a rarity indeed.

sadesdrk 11-24-01 02:09 AM

I finally saw a frippin' trailer for Ocean's Eleven...looks good. Except for one minor detail...I can see Julia's face.:mad:

They could have used ANY female! The men in that film could draw the masses without Horse Teeth...wouldn't you all agree?

ryanpaige 11-24-01 02:23 AM

Of course I would agree, Sades.

They should've used Laura Linney.

sadesdrk 11-24-01 02:30 AM

Anybody...anybody! Laura Linney, yes, fine. Somebody other than Roberts!( but not Jennifer Love Hewitt, or Sarah Michelle Geller, or anyone who uses all three names.);)

spudracer 11-24-01 02:10 PM

Hmmm...Sadie, you sure make me giggle with your continuing hatred for Julia Roberts. Why don't you start waitressing at a fancy restaurant and when she comes in slip something into her food and make her go bye bye if you hate her so much. Just an idea...:D

I know this should probably be put on the Potter thread, but November 30th's Entertainment Weekly has a nicely sized article about the movie and everything else Potter'd.

Steve 11-24-01 06:54 PM

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Anybody...anybody! Laura Linney, yes, fine. Somebody other than Roberts!( but not Jennifer Love Hewitt, or Sarah Michelle Geller, or anyone who uses all three names.);)
Hmm...Jealousy will get you nowhere, friend. ;D