Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tenet, Christopher Nolan 2020 Film (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58710)

MovieBuffering 01-27-19 03:48 AM

Tenet, Christopher Nolan 2020 Film

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...y-2020-1179373

Finally news on Nolan's new project. Just described an event film but we have a date. I'll always be front row for his flicks. Any ideas what the movie is or what you would like it to be? I'd love to see him tackle a Western. 🤷

gandalf26 01-27-19 04:06 AM

Re: Christopher Nolan 2020 Film

Rumour is its a Rom Com starring Christian Bale

doubledenim 01-27-19 06:52 AM

Is it news?

Siddon 01-27-19 09:58 AM

Oh does Christopher Nolan have fans on the internet and are people interested in his films.

Iroquois 01-27-19 10:21 AM

It's already in the IMDb Top 250.

Saunch 01-27-19 11:04 AM

I’ll just quote myself:

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1985601)
”laconic white intelectual with a troubled past involving a pale brunette”

Yoda 01-27-19 12:14 PM

Interesting that it's a little over a year from release with no information.

I take "event film" as a reassurance, IE: "don't worry, he's not doing anything too dramatic or overtly personal, he's doing another Cool Movie." Which I'm fine with. However strong his brand is, it's a brand I still like and the films are always exceptionally well-made. I increasingly think that artists broadening their horizons is kind of overrated.

Cynema De Bergerac 01-27-19 12:28 PM

"Nolan's Knight Rises".

It will be a documentary about Nolan's struggle with erectile dysfunction. At the end, he will reveal his restored erection power.

Swan 01-27-19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1985652)
I increasingly think that artists broadening their horizons is kind of overrated.
Why?

Yoda 01-27-19 01:15 PM

Because I think when they venture off into new areas, it usually results in a loss of quality. Which makes sense, since they're doing something they have a lot less experience with, as opposed to the thing they've already been doing well enough to achieve success.

As time goes on and I see more films, I find myself appreciating the Tarantinos and Wes Andersons of the world more and more for having a distinct style and continually producing work within it. It feels like there's a weird, irrational stigma attached to being stylistically predictable. There's an insinuation that if you notice a pattern in someone's filmography, it represents a failing or thoughtlessness, as opposed to an expression of an archetype or a persistent exploration of an idea. But nobody looks at historical art this way. Nobody says "yeah, Picasso's great, but why didn't he ever get into pointillism?" If the Internet had been around in the 19th century, would people have been sarcastically saying things like "great, another Manet. Let me guess, you can see all the brush strokes"?

I think there's a very deep-seeded cultural bias, probably a product of both our political and economic systems, that disproportionately favors dynamism over focus and unpredictability over mastery.

Yoda 01-27-19 01:16 PM

Random personal example, but I really love the band Spoon. Loved a whole bunch of their albums in a row, all of them great. Then they said they were trying something new with their latest, and of course, I didn't like it nearly as much, because they were doing less of the things that specifically made me love them in the first place. Still good, but I haven't liked any of their work since as much as I did before. And I wonder if artists do this out of insecurity, to avoid being pigeonholed, or even just out of boredom.

Citizen Rules 01-27-19 01:57 PM

I just hope Nolan's new movie isn't 3 hours long. He tends to make long movies and the extra run time often takes the film down a notch for me.

Iroquois 01-28-19 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1985652)
Interesting that it's a little over a year from release with no information.

I take "event film" as a reassurance, IE: "don't worry, he's not doing anything too dramatic or overtly personal, he's doing another Cool Movie." Which I'm fine with. However strong his brand is, it's a brand I still like and the films are always exceptionally well-made. I increasingly think that artists broadening their horizons is kind of overrated.
Eh, it's Christopher Nolan. Practically every film he's done since Batman Begins manages to be an "event film" by default no matter how dramatic or personal or "cool" it is.

Yoda 01-28-19 09:47 AM

I might be wrong, but I specifically take it as an assurance that it's not like Dunkirk.

gandalf26 01-28-19 10:23 AM

We've had the war movie, couple of Sci fi, comic book series, period piece ( prestige), murder mystery so what's next?

I heard he was interested in Howard Hughes a while back, could team up with Di Caprio again and do an Aviator sequel which I would love to see.

Horror?

Saunch 01-28-19 11:12 AM

There’s a rumor going around that it’s a classical noir but who knows?

Saunch 03-05-19 02:32 PM

https://twitter.com/prodweek/status/1102990235569405952

Yoda 03-05-19 02:50 PM

That's a very intriguing nugget.

mojofilter 03-05-19 03:32 PM

I like the mystery behind this "event film". I'm sure we will be seeing another jaw-dropping teaser trailer some time at the end of this year, and the final product will be another huge box office hit for Nolan.

ahwell 03-05-19 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1985663)
Random personal example, but I really love the band Spoon. Loved a whole bunch of their albums in a row, all of them great. Then they said they were trying something new with their latest, and of course, I didn't like it nearly as much, because they were doing less of the things that specifically made me love them in the first place. Still good, but I haven't liked any of their work since as much as I did before. And I wonder if artists do this out of insecurity, to avoid being pigeonholed, or even just out of boredom.
I’d generally agree with your stance on that. However, in the rare occurrence that an artist delves into completely new territory while keeping it their own entirely... it’s usually a moment in history. First thing that comes to mind for me is Beethoven.