Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Games and Tabs (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Degrees of Seperation (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=11045)

Everett 10-03-05 10:59 PM

The Degrees of Seperation

Alright guys, this is a new game

I give you an actor or actress name and you have to link it to another one I give you

For Example, if I were to do Billy Bob Thornton to Brad Pitt, this is how it would be:

Billy bob thornton starred in Bad Santa, which starred Lauren Graham, who stars in Gilmore Girls, which guest starred Adam Brody, who was in Mr and Mrs Smith, starring Brad Pitt.

And to kick it off

Link Ben Affleck to Mischa Barton

RULES
1: Whoever figures it out, must construct another link thats actually possible to do, like I did with mine (I already know the answer to my above link)

2: And if you can't figure it out, then say so and I will give the answer and start another one

enjoy!
:)

Holden Pike 10-04-05 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Everett
Alright guys, this is a new game

I give you an actor or actress name and you have to link it to another one I give you

For Example, if I were to do Billy Bob Thornton to Brad Pitt, this is how it would be:

Billy bob thornton starred in Bad Santa, which starred Lauren Graham, who stars in Gilmore Girls, which guest starred Adam Brody, who was in Mr and Mrs Smith, starring Brad Pitt.
First of all, you aren't supposed to use TV shows for this game (most definitely not actors who may have guest starred in only one or two episodes), only feature film credits.

Secondly, in the link you tried to form between Billy Bob and Pitt you could have simply used Angelina Jolie as the only link - Thornton co-starred with her in Pushing Tin, Pitt in Mrs. & Mrs. Smith.

Thirdly I'm sure there are other degrees of separation games in the games forum.

RULES
1: Whoever figures it out, must construct another link thats actually possible to do, like I did with mine (I already know the answer to my above link)
All links are possible. Even if the actor had only appeared in one film and you had to make ten or fifteen links, you can link any actor to any other.

2: And if you can't figure it out, then say so and I will give the answer and start another one
Most will have many, many, many answers.

Such as...

Ben Affleck to Mischa Barton can go:

Ben Affleck was in Armageddon with Bruce Willis
Willis was in The Sixth Sense with Barton

or

Ben Affleck was in The Sum of All Fears with Bruce McGill
McGill was in Lawn Dogs with Barton

or

Affleck was in Glory Daze with Sam Rockwell
Rockwell was in Lawn Dogs with Barton

or

Affleck was in Changing Lanes with Toni Collette
Collette was in The Sixth Sense with Mischa Barton

And on and on and on.

Enjoy!

Piddzilla 10-04-05 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Enjoy!
I'm having a ball....

gummo 10-04-05 09:28 AM

Ever watch TVLand?

Holden Pike 10-04-05 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by gummo
Ever watch TVLand?
Ever eat potato chips?

Everett 10-04-05 04:09 PM

Ever eat potato chips?
so umm, are you guys going to do it or not?

if so

steve martin to matt damon

Holden Pike 10-04-05 05:41 PM

Steve Martin was in Looney Tunes: Back in Action with Brendan Fraser
Fraser was in School Ties with Matt Damon

Bob Hope to Hope Davis

SamsoniteDelilah 10-04-05 07:05 PM

Hope Davis was in Flatliners with Julia Roberts who was in Oceans 12 with Elliot Gould, who was in the cinematic masterpiece The Muppet Movie with Bob Hope.

Will Smith to Denzel Washington
Challenge! :)

Everett 10-04-05 07:36 PM

will smith was in enemy of the state with gene hackman
gene hackman starred in the firm with tom cruise
tom cruise was in steven spielbergs minority report
steven spielberg directed saving private ryan with tom hanks
tom hanks starred in philedelphia with denzel washington

:)

next: Dakota Fanning to Owen Wilson

Holden Pike 10-04-05 07:53 PM

will smith was in enemy of the state with gene hackman
gene hackman starred in the firm with tom cruise
tom cruise was in steven spielbergs minority report
steven spielberg directed saving private ryan with tom hanks
tom hanks starred in philedelphia with denzel washington
OR

Will Smith was in Six Degrees of Separation with Donald Sutherland
Donald Sutherland was in Fallen with Denzel Washington

And even using your first link Gene Hackman, Hackman and Denzel co-starred in Crimson Tide...so your chain was needlessly complex.

And just so you know, these games generally only allow you to use actors as links, not directors, composers, writers, etc.

Dakota Fanning to Owen Wilson
Dakota Fanning was in Man on Fire with Christopher Walken
Walken was in The Wedding Crashers with Owen Wilson

Claude Rains to Michael Caine

Piddzilla 10-04-05 07:55 PM

Dakota Fanning was in War of the Worlds with Tim Robbins who directed Cradle Will Rock which starred Bill Murray who is also in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, among other films, together with Owen Wilson.

Claude Rains was in Lawrence of Arabia and so was Anthony Quinn who also starred in The Marseille Contract together with Michael Caine.

Erich von Stroheim to Udo Kier

Everett 10-04-05 08:01 PM

OR

Will Smith was in Six Degrees of Seaparation with Donald Sutherland
Donald Sutherland was in Fallen with Denzel Washington

And even using your first link Gene Hackman, Hackman and Denzel co-starred in Crimson Tide...so your chain was needlessly complex.

And just so you know, these games generally only allow you to use actors as links, not directors, composers, writers, etc.

Dakota Fanning was in Man on Fire with Christopher Walken
Walken was in The Wedding Crashers with Owen Wilson

well seeing how i was the one who started it, i think i can change some of the rules and add directors to the mix too to make it a little different

jeez, do you HAVE to change all my answers?

just stop it already, i dont comment on you being an annoying *******

Holden Pike 10-04-05 08:08 PM

jeez, do you HAVE to change all my answers?

just stop it already, i dont comment on you being an annoying *******
Wow, four whole posts and you're already slinging profane insults around. I miss you already. :nope:

7thson 10-04-05 08:11 PM

Wow, four whole posts and your already slinging profane insults around. I miss you already.
:nope:
Well ya do tend to bring out the worst in folks, not saying that this is a bad thing.:p

Everett 10-04-05 08:16 PM

well come on!

you dont have to go around commenting on games to make it the way YOU want it

if i want to link an actor to a director to an actor then i can do it
theres no harm in that

and stop correcting my answers

i can make it long or short, whichever way I can answer it

jeez!

Everett 10-04-05 08:25 PM

next up

justin long to tom cruise

Holden Pike 10-04-05 08:29 PM

next up

justin long to tom cruise
I also told you there are multiple existing threads of this game elsewhere on the forum. HERE for example.

And you don't get to post a new couple, as you haven't answered the Stroheim to Kier pairing yet.

Everett 10-04-05 08:38 PM

I also told you there are multiple existing threads of this game elsewhere on the forum. HERE for example.

And you don't get to post a new couple, as you haven't answered the Stroheim to Kier pairing yet.

you've got to be kidding

who gives a crap?
they're both foreign

you jerk you just named two unknown foreign (is that redundant?)actors so people will just give up and not answer anymore

anyway, tom cruise to justin long

[predicted stupid smartass response from holden pike: they're both american,
next: udo kier and stroheim]

Holden Pike 10-04-05 08:46 PM

you've got to be kidding

who gives a crap?
they're both foreign

you jerk you just named two unknown foreign (is that redundant?)actors so people will just give up and not answer anymore
That's quite an attitude toward world cinema.

And I didn't name them, Genius. That was Pidzilla's post you are slamming. So you just got here and already I'm an ******* and Pidzilla is a jerk. You must have read How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Anyway, still Erich von Stroheim and Udo Kier.

Everett 10-04-05 08:53 PM

Anyway, still Erich von Stroheim and Udo Kier.
highlight my last comment buddy

highlight the whole thing and you might find something at the bottom
and i didnt just edit it either

Everett 10-04-05 08:58 PM

Udo Kier played Erich von Stroheim in a film titled Dog Daze

anyway,

Tom Cruise to Justin Long

Holden Pike 10-04-05 09:14 PM

highlight my last comment buddy

highlight the whole thing and you might find something at the bottom
and i didnt just edit it either
Yes, even though you colored it SILVER, I did see your comment before....which was neither correct nor witty.

Everett 10-04-05 09:20 PM

Yes, even though you colored it SILVER, I did see your comment....which was neither correctr nor witty.

actually it was correct

Holden Pike 10-04-05 09:34 PM

actually it was correct
No, Udo Kier and Erich Von Stroheim are most definitely not Americans. But yes, obviously you still can't cheat and pass over them just because you don't happen to know who they are.

Everett 10-04-05 09:49 PM

No, Udo Kier and Erich Von Stroheim are most definitely not Americans. But yes, obviously you still can't cheat and pass over them just because you don't happen to know who they are.

Udo Kier played Erich Von Stroheim in a 1995 film titled Dog Daze

next up: Tom Cruise to JUSTIN LONG

jeez, is it that hard???

Holden Pike 10-04-05 10:03 PM

Udo Kier played Erich Von Stroheim in a 1995 film titled Dog Daze

jeez, is it that hard???
So you bend the rules of this game so much that a person need only have portrayed somebody on screen to link to them? You can go directly to Howard Hughes from Kate Winslet because Leo frippin' DiCaprio played him in a movie? Fascinating.

Apparently it must be that hard if you have to continually keep changing the rules to suit only you.

Holden Pike 10-04-05 10:09 PM

Tom Cruise was in War of the Worlds (2005) where the casting director was Debra Zane
Debra Zane also cast the movie Galaxy Quest featuring Justin Lane

Esther Williams to Robin Williams

7thson 10-05-05 12:35 AM

Bart Simpson and Godzilla..oh wait...nm........................................................................................... ................................................

Piddzilla 10-05-05 05:24 AM

Well, I liked my own couple so:

Erich von Stroheim starred in I Was an Adventuress as did Peter Lorre. Peter Lorre was magnificent in Casablanca and so was Humphrey Bogart. Bogey appeared on the screen together with Lauren Bacall for the first time in To Have and Have Not. Bacall did a part in Dogville and, wouldn't you know, so did Udo Kier.

Esther Williams appeared in Ziegfeld Follies and so did Judy Garland who also starred in Ziegfeld Girl. James Stewart was in that one as well as in The Big Sleep (1978) and so was Robert Mitchum. Mitchum starred in The Last Tycoon together with Jack Nicholson who played the lead in The Shining against Shelley Duvall who starred in Popeye. And so did Robin Williams.

Vincent Gallo to Madonna

samq79 10-05-05 11:48 AM

Vincent Gallo was in Brown Bunny with Chloe Sevigny, who was in Party Monster with Macauley Culkin. He was in Home Alone with Catherine Ohara, who was in Dick Tracy with Madonna

Bow Wow and Jimmy Stewart

Holden Pike 10-05-05 01:35 PM

('Lil) Bow Wow was in All About the Benjamins with Anthony Michael Hall
Anthony Michael Hall was in Six Degrees of Separation with Donald Sutherland
Donald Sutherland was in The Bedofrd Incident with Richard Widmark
Widmark was in a few movies with Jimmy Stewart, including Two Rode Together

Sylvester Stallone to Rock Hudson

Sedai 10-05-05 01:48 PM

you've got to be kidding

who gives a crap?
they're both foreign

[predicted stupid smartass response from holden pike: they're both american,
next: udo kier and stroheim]
I have heard of them. Also, foreign? This is the WorldWideWeb you are on here, right? This site has emembers from dozens of countries, so "foreign" just doesn't apply, because that would be relative to whichever country the poster/reader lives in, right?

As for the pair he posted, I have heard of those people, and so have many others. I much rather pay attention to actors and directors with actual talent instead of bums like Ben Affleck.

Also, Gilmore Girls?? Never heard of it, what film is that?

Ahh, did some research...Gilmore Girls is some teen show on a shoddy network..Why do you think people on a site called Movieforums.com would know about stuff like that?

samq79 10-05-05 02:05 PM

Rock Hudson was in The Ambassador with Ellen Burstyn, who was in the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood with Sandra Bullock. She was in Demolition Man with Stallone

John Wayne and Damon Wayans

Everett 10-05-05 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai
I have heard of them. Also, foreign? This is the WorldWideWeb you are on here, right? This site has emembers from dozens of countries, so "foreign" just doesn't apply, because that would be relative to whichever country the poster/reader lives in, right?

As for the pair he posted, I have heard of those people, and so have many others. I much rather pay attention to actors and directors with actual talent instead of bums like Ben Affleck.

Also, Gilmore Girls?? Never heard of it, what film is that?

Ahh, did some research...Gilmore Girls is some teen show on a shoddy network..Why do you think people on a site called Movieforums.com would know about stuff like that?
yeah, unless you're a complete moron who has been living in a hole, then you wouldn't have to research what Gilmore Girls is.

So it looks like you guys are complaining about every single thing I post.
If I go along with your annoying changes, then you will complain I put up an actor such as Ben Affleck.
So then I would try linking an actor to a director to change it up a bit but you guys also bitch about that.

then if I actually do form a complete link then some asswipe complains about how it could've been shorter and corrects every actor-link that I do.

so everyone has to frickin stop correcting everything and go along with the game that I started

1: you can link actors to directors
2: fine, dont do tv links then, i was just copied this game off a myspace message board and used their example.
3: you cant rearrange an already done actor-link, if its already done, then its gratutious for a user to put "OR you can link this guy from this guy, you didn't have to link them through all those people", yeah? well maybe I didnt know the info you did.
so theres no need to rearrange or give second answers to already finished actor-links. it's annoying and its unnecessary.

samq79 10-05-05 03:36 PM

oh shut up!

yeah, unless you're a complete moron who has been living in a hole, then you wouldn't have to research what Gilmore Girls is.

So it looks like you guys are complaining about every single thing I post.
If I go along with your annoying changes, then you will complain I put up an actor such as Ben Affleck.
So then I would try linking an actor to a director to change it up a bit but you guys also bitch about that.

then if I actually do form a complete link then some asswipe complains about how it could've been shorter and corrects every actor-link that I do.

so everyone has to frickin stop correcting everything and go along with the game that I started

1: you can link actors to directors
2: fine, dont do tv links then, i was just copied this game off a myspace message board and used their example.
3: you cant rearrange an already done actor-link, if its already done, then its gratutious for a user to put "OR you can link this guy from this guy, you didn't have to link them through all those people", yeah? well maybe I didnt know the info you did.
so theres no need to rearrange or give second answers to already finished actor-links. it's annoying and its unnecessary.
Ok...I was going to stay out of it and just play the game, but this is just getting annoying. This game that you started is based on the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game, and has been co-opted because after a while, that gets boring, and makes more sense to just pick 2 far-reaching actors and connect them with other actors through the movies they have acted in together. This game has been going around on message boards in THIS form for a long long time. It makes it less challenging if you connect directors and tv shows as well. The fun of this game is the challenge of connecting people from two different genres, countries, or generations. And usually, the less links you have in the chain, the more impressive it is.

So you can get mad and throw a hissy fit about people changing your game, but if you're changing the game that everyone already knows and making it more kindergarten than it should be, people are going to complain.

Nice job rocking the boat in your first 48 hours, by the way...good way to endear yourself in a new community. I've been here a month now, and people like you who come in, whining and complaining, don't really last all that long.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is welcome, and good luck.

EDIT: Oh, and I guarantee he knew what Gilmore Girls was...he was being sarcastic...you may want to look up sarcasm if you're really going to survive here.

Everett 10-05-05 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by samq79

EDIT: Oh, and I guarantee he knew what Gilmore Girls was...he was being sarcastic...you may want to look up sarcasm if you're really going to survive here.
nah, i think he was just being an ******* like that other moron

samq79 10-05-05 05:40 PM

WOW...out of all that I wrote in that last post that is what you clung to? You really have some selective filtering, boyo!

oh yeah and still waiting for the solution to:

John Wayne and Damon Wayans

SamsoniteDelilah 10-05-05 06:08 PM

...Gilmore Girls is some teen show on a shoddy network..Why do you think people on a site called Movieforums.com would know about stuff like that?
Watch it, bub. :furious:

John Wayne was in The Shootist with Scatman Caruthers, who was in The Shining with Shelley Duvall, who was in Roxanne with Damon Wayans.

Richard E. Grant to John Neville

Holden Pike 10-06-05 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Richard E. Grant to John Neville
Richard E. Grant was in St. Ives with Miranda Richardson
Miranda Richardson was in Spider with John Neville

Albert Finney to Raul Julia

samq79 10-06-05 12:54 PM

Albert Finney<->Big Fish<->Steve Buscemi<->The Laramie Project<->Christina Ricci<->Addams Family<->Raul Julia

Thomas Hayden Church and Richard Attenborough

Holden Pike 10-06-05 01:04 PM

Thomas Hayden Church and Richard Attenborough
Thomas Haden Chruch was in Tombstone with Charlton Heston
Chuck Heston was in Hamlet (1996) with Dickie Attenborough

Charles Laughton to John Goodman

Sedai 10-06-05 02:10 PM

No, I was just being sarcastic, and I didn't get personal in my post, at all. But, since you have decided to go there, I will be glad to accomodate you.

On a web forum, which is a great way to hide behind a computer screen and not actually be accountable for your actions, it's easy to just start calling people names, throwing out insults left and right, with no fear of retribution. But, at the end of a day, you achieve nothing, proove nothing, and gain absolutely nothing, while just basically causing a very minor annoyance to some folks in an established web community. Why bother?

As for me living in a cave, that statement just clearly shows that you are young, with a lot to learn. I didn't know what Gilmore Girls was because I don't watch much TV, it's as simple as that. I guess I just find other things to do with my time that I find to be a better use for it, like working on my education, writing music, writing my screenplay, working on my career, or studying films to learn about filmmaking. To each his own. I just don't have a lot of spare time to watch all sorts of random shows. Actually, I don't know **** about Gilmore Girls, and probably shouldn't have commented on the show, without actually gaining a referent first.

But, you just go on thinking I am a moron, just stay an inch or two out of kicking distance.

Yeah...I'm not going to get personal, after all, I don't know you from Adam, and it's just not worth it....

Charles Laughton to John Goodman
Laughton was in Spartacus, which starred Kirk Douglas, who was also in The Fury, which was directed by DePalma, Who also directed Scarface, which starred Michelle Phiffer, who also starred in The Age of innocence, which was directed my Marty Scorsese, who also directed Bringing out the Dead, in which John Goodman appeared.

I am sure there is a shorter link, but I couldn't find it...

Next up:

Roy Schieder to Maggie Smith

Piddzilla 10-06-05 02:42 PM

I did. :D

Charles Laughton--> Spartacus--> Kirk Douglas--> Eddie Macon's Run--> John Goodman

Next up:

Roy Scheider--> Jaws--> Robert Shaw--> The Sting--> Paul Newman--> The Color of Money--> Tom Cruise--> The Firm--> Gene Hackman--> Crimson Tide--> Ryan Phillippe--> Gosford Park--> Maggie Smith.

James Dean to Earl Hofert

Sedai 10-06-05 02:45 PM

^^^^ I just knew there was a shorter link!

Everett 10-06-05 05:32 PM

No, I was just being sarcastic, and I didn't get personal in my post, at all. But, since you have decided to go there, I will be glad to accomodate you.

On a web forum, which is a great way to hide behind a computer screen and not actually be accountable for your actions, it's easy to just start calling people names, throwing out insults left and right, with no fear of retribution. But, at the end of a day, you achieve nothing, proove nothing, and gain absolutely nothing, while just basically causing a very minor annoyance to some folks in an established web community. Why bother?

As for me living in a cave, that statement just clearly shows that you are young, with a lot to learn. I didn't know what Gilmore Girls was because I don't watch much TV, it's as simple as that. I guess I just find other things to do with my time that I find to be a better use for it, like working on my education, writing music, writing my screenplay, working on my career, or studying films to learn about filmmaking. To each his own. I just don't have a lot of spare time to watch all sorts of random shows. Actually, I don't know **** about Gilmore Girls, and probably shouldn't have commented on the show, without actually gaining a referent first.

But, you just go on thinking I am a moron, just stay an inch or two out of kicking distance.

Yeah...I'm not going to get personal, after all, I don't know you from Adam, and it's just not worth it....

Laughton was in Spartacus, which starred Kirk Douglas, who was also in The Fury, which was directed by DePalma, Who also directed Scarface, which starred Michelle Phiffer, who also starred in The Age of innocence, which was directed my Marty Scorsese, who also directed Bringing out the Dead, in which John Goodman appeared.

Next up:

i dont even watch Gilmore Girls
I just got this game from an OC myspace group and I decided to play it over here and just go ahead and the use the example they used, hoping that no one will be so annoying to complain about it for no reason.

jeez, it was just an example of the game, not the actual thing.

but if you even know what it is but still complain anyway, then you're (this is exactly to you sedai but to any user) just trying to start a fight for no absolute reason. Just go along with it, especially if it was just a borrowed example.

jeez

Holden Pike 10-06-05 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Roy Scheider--> Jaws--> Robert Shaw--> The Sting--> Paul Newman--> The Color of Money--> Tom Cruise--> The Firm--> Gene Hackman--> Crimson Tide--> Ryan Phillippe--> Gosford Park--> Maggie Smith.
Or much more simply...
Roy Scheider was in Klute with Jane Fonda
Jane and Maggie Smith are both in California Suite

James Dean to Earl Hofert
Jimmy Dean was in Rebel without a Cause with Dennis Hopper
Hopper was in Cool Hand Luke with James Gammon
James Gammon was in Cabin Boy with David Letterman (a.k.a. Earl Hofert)

Dustin Hoffman to Dustin Diamond

SamsoniteDelilah 10-06-05 06:56 PM

Jimmy Dean was in Rebel without a Cause with Dennis Hopper
Hopper was in Cool Hand Luke with James Gammon
James Gammon was in Cabin Boy with David Letterman (a.k.a. Earl Hofert)
or
James Dean > Rebel Without a Cause > Natalie Wood > West Side Story > Russ Tamblyn > Cabin Boy > Earl Hofert

:D

Dustin Hoffman to Dustin Diamond
Dustin Hoffman was in Meet the Fockers with Babs Streisand, who starred in A Star is Born with Kris Kristofferson, who was in Big Top PeeWee with Dustin Diamond.

Molly Ringwald to Peter Cushing

Holden Pike 10-06-05 07:49 PM

Molly Ringwald to Peter Cushing
Molly Ringwald was in Godard's King Lear with Burgess Meredith
Meredith and Peter Cushing are in Torture Garden

John Cassavetes to Adam Sandler

samq79 10-07-05 10:38 AM

John Cassavetes was in Who's Life is it anyway? with Bob Balaban, who was in Capote with Philip Seymour Hoffman, who was in Punch-Drunk Love with Adam Sandler

Adam West and Bernadette Peters

chicagofrog 10-07-05 10:50 AM

you just named two unknown foreign (is that redundant?)actors so people will just give up and not answer anymore
foreign? you mean from Mars? have you seen NOT the ****** all people here were born with a damned f.ucking lifelong greencard or citizenship? you think it was a sorta screwy American private club or what the helluva ****** here? (hehe, gives me an occasion to use one of my fave words!)
so if you ever go to watch a movie not from the US, i take it you go to a "foreign" movie, whatever stupidness that means? no, there are French movies, which is not the same like German ones etc etc etc, and then there are Goddard movies which are not the same at all as Beineix movies which you cannot compare to Besson, etc... the concept of "foreign" is just limiting bullsh!t for narrow-minded people who don't know what movies are.
but, even if you wanted your game to be limited to American directors, writers, actors... (what about American actors in a Swedish movie??), you should 've defined the rules to be such at the beginning.

chicagofrog 10-07-05 10:56 AM

Watch it, bub. :furious:
yep, she's right Sedai, tis a great TV show! :yup: :yup: :up: :up:

Sedai 10-07-05 12:01 PM

Yeah, I posted later that I hadn't ever seen it, and shouldn't have been commenting on it. What's the premise of the show?

chicagofrog 10-07-05 12:27 PM

well, maybe i should count it under the guilty love things? but they're just sweet, you know that traitor girl in Sin City? she comes from/was made famous in this show, Alexis Bledel. the mother you'll know from Bad Santa, where she ends up with B.B. Thornton.

and the guy is real good too, don't remember his name right now...

tis mostly all about the dialogs, thar are oh-so much wittier than in all other shows i've seen.
maybe it wouldn't be to your taste, but it really deserves respect for its originality, very good acting, etc... and...

... and the rest is a question of falling in love with the characters i guess. (difficult though to start watching it now since so much has happened since the first season, and this is justly that which happened that makes us love the characters...)
it's the cutest show, i'd call it that. and smart too.

chicagofrog 10-07-05 12:31 PM

to answer to yr qst,
tis a young mother with her daughter living in a small town. their best friends owns a café, and there's some hidden feelings between him and that young attractive mother. then you have the daughter's problems and love stories, the rich and severe parents, their stories too, the town's dumb, but nice, guy, etc etc...
telling you all this doens't make it attractive i know. but once you getta love 'em, you can't stop. and i pardon myself this weakness, since it's all so intelligent and cute and funny-witty.
plus i love Alexis...

http://www2.warnerbros.com/gilmoregirls/

Holden Pike 10-08-05 02:49 PM

Adam West and Bernadette Peters
Adam West is in The Young Philadelphians with Paul Newman
Paul Newman is in Silent Movie with Bernadette Peters

Joseph Cotten to Viggo Mortensen

samq79 10-09-05 01:44 AM

Joseph Cotten was in Soylent Green with Charlton Heston, who was the narrator for Armageddon, starring Liv Tyler. Tyler starred in LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring with Viggo Mortenson

Jason Isaacs and Ethan Hawke

Holden Pike 10-09-05 03:31 AM

Jason Isaacs and Ethan Hawke
Jason Isaacs is in Event Horizon with Laurence Fishburn
Fishburn and Ethan Hawke co-star in Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)

Jeff Goldblum to Toshirô Mifune
(there are at least two single-actor link solutions)

nebbit 10-09-05 07:53 AM

Interesting thread but i haven't been able to get one http://bestsmileys.com/i_thought/10.gif

samq79 10-09-05 05:58 PM

Jeff Goldblum to Toshirô Mifune
(there are at least two single-actor link solutions)
Jeff Goldblum was in Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland, who was in Shadow of the Wolf with Toshiro Mifune

Amanda Bynes and Laurence Olivier

Holden Pike 10-09-05 06:43 PM

Amanda Bynes and Laurence Olivier
Amanda Bynes and James Earl Jones both lent their voices to Robots
Jones and Larry Olivier appear in "Jesus of Nazareth"

Jeanne Moreau to Angelina Jolie

samq79 10-10-05 12:21 PM

Jeanne Moreau was in The Last Tycoon with Robert Deniro, who lent his voice along with Angelina Jolie in Shark Tale

Giovanni Ribisi and Al Jolson

samq79 10-12-05 11:59 AM

Jeanne Moreau was in The Last Tycoon with Robert Deniro, who lent his voice along with Angelina Jolie in Shark Tale

Giovanni Ribisi and Al Jolson

BUMP

samq79 10-12-05 04:43 PM

Fine..I'll do it

Al Jolson was in The Rose of Washington Square with Louis Prima, who lent his voice to the Jungle Book along with Clint Howard, who was in That Thing you do with Giovanni Ribisi

Yes...I know I'm impatient...I'll work on it.

Bea Arthur and Hugh Jackman

Holden Pike 10-12-05 05:16 PM

Bea Arthur and Hugh Jackman
Bea Arthur is in Mame (1974) with Bruce Davidson
Bruce Davidson is in X-Men and X-Men 2 with Hugh Jackman

Bill Murray to Edward Everett Horton

samq79 10-13-05 11:14 AM

Bill Murray was in Ed Wood with Martin Landau, who starred with Natalie Wood/Henry Fonda in Meteor! Both Wood and Fonda were in Sex and the Single Girl with Edward Everett Horton.

Bing Crosby and Nick Cannon

Holden Pike 10-13-05 12:44 PM

Bill Murray was in Ed Wood with Martin Landau, who starred with Natalie Wood/Henry Fonda in Meteor! Both Wood and Fonda were in Sex and the Single Girl with Edward Everett Horton.
OR

Edward Everett Horton was in Cold Turkey with Bob Elliott
Bob Elliott and Bill Murray are in Quick Change

Bing Crosby and Nick Cannon
Bing Crosby is in Robin & the 7 Hoods with Peter Falk
Peter Falk and Susan Sarandon have cameos in The Player
Susan Sarandon is in Shall We Dance with Nick Cannon

Jacqueline Bisset to Ashley Judd

samq79 10-13-05 01:02 PM

Jacqueline Bisset was in Mr and Mrs Smith with Vince Vaughn, who was in Locusts! with Ashley Judd

Mark Feuerstein and Alfred Hitchcock

Holden Pike 10-13-05 01:40 PM

Jacqueline Bisset was in Mr and Mrs Smith with Vince Vaughn, who was in Locusts! with Ashley Judd
You're going to resort to a movie where Ms. Bisset's scenes were deleted? Come on, you can do better than that. The IMDb is only a tool, you still have to use it properly.

Mark Feuerstein and Alfred Hitchcock
Mark Feuerstein is in the just released In Her Shoes with Shirley MacLaine
MacLaine made her debut in Hitch's The Trouble with Harry, where The Master has one of his trademark cameos

Jimmy Stewart to Peter Stormare

samq79 10-13-05 03:03 PM

Jimmy Stewart was in Airport '77 with Christopher Lee, who was in Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp. Depp starred in Chocolat alongside Peter Stormare.

Olivia de Haviland and Judy Greer

SamsoniteDelilah 10-13-05 03:48 PM

Olivia de Haviland was directed by Lawrence Olivier in Hamlet, decades before he was (posthumously) in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow with Giovanni Ribisi, who was in I Love Your Work with Judy Greer.

Clark Gable to Mary Steenburgen

Holden Pike 10-13-05 04:28 PM

Clark Gable to Mary Steenburgen
Clark Gable was in The Misfits with Eli Wallach
Wallach & Steenburgen are in the documentary Sanford Meisner: The American Theatre's Best Kept Secret

Charlie Chaplin to Warren Beatty

samq79 10-13-05 04:59 PM

Charlie Chaplin was in A Countess From Hong Kong(his final film), with Marlon Brando. Brando was in the Godfather with Al Pacino, who was in Dick Tracy with Warren Beatty

Neve Campbell to Marlene Dietrich

samq79 10-17-05 10:38 AM

Charlie Chaplin was in A Countess From Hong Kong(his final film), with Marlon Brando. Brando was in the Godfather with Al Pacino, who was in Dick Tracy with Warren Beatty

BUMP

Holden Pike 10-17-05 11:18 AM

Neve Campbell is in Scream 3 with Parker Posey
Parker Posey is in Basquiat with David Bowie
Bowie is in Just a Gigolo (1979) with Marlene Dietrich

Lana Turner to Michelle Pfeiffer

samq79 10-17-05 11:57 AM

Lana Turner was in Another Time, Another Place with Sean Connery, who starred in The Russia House with Michelle Pfeiffer

Ziyi Zhang and Buster Keaton

SpoOkY 10-19-05 09:15 AM

Ziyi Zhang and Buster Keaton
ok bear with me this is quite long...
Ziyi Zhang was in Rush hour 2 with Jackie Chan who was in Shanghai Noon with Owen Wilson who was in Meet the Parents with Robert Deniro who was one of the voices in Shark Tale as was Will Smith who was in I-robot with James Cromwell who was is in Babe: Pig in the City with Mickey Rooney who was in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad world with Buster Keaton

Whew ok everyone can slam me for how long that was but I guess I just don't know that many actors.

Anyway mine will be Dustin Hoffman and Bill Murray.

samq79 10-19-05 10:50 AM

Bill Murray and Dustin Hoffman were both featured in Tootsie.

Teri Garr and Greta Garbo

Holden Pike 10-19-05 12:05 PM

Bill Murray and Dustin Hoffman were both featured in Tootsie.
http://www.movieactors.com/freezeframes5/tootsie6.jpeg

Teri Garr and Greta Garbo
Teri Garr is in Young Frankenstein & The Conversation with Gene Hackman
Hackman is in I Never Sang for My Father with Melvyn Douglas
Melvyn Douglas and Greta Garbo co-starred in Ninotchka

James Mason to Mark Wahlberg

samq79 10-19-05 02:02 PM

James Mason was in The Verdict with Paul Newman, who starred in The Hudsucker Proxy with Tim Robbins. Robbins starred with Mark Wahlberg in the incredibly awful The Truth About Charlie.

Rachel McAdams and Morgan Freeman

Misirlou 10-20-05 06:33 PM

Rachel McAdams was in The Notebook with Ryan Gosling
Ryan Gosling was in Remember the Titans with Denzel Washington
Denzel Washington was in Glory with Morgan Freeman

Gregory Peck to Bill Murray

Holden Pike 10-20-05 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Misirlou
Gregory Peck to Bill Murray
Gregory Peck has a cameo in the Cape Fear re-make with DeNiro
Bobby DeNiro and Billy Murray co-star in Mad Dog & Glory

William Bendix to Bruce Willis

samq79 10-21-05 10:59 AM

William Bendix was in For Love or Money with Kirk Douglas
Douglas was in It Runs in the Family with Michael Douglas,
who was in Don't say a word with Brittney Murphy
Murphy starred with Bruce Willis in Sin City

I'm sure there's probably an easier way, but this is what I came up with.

Andre Benjamin and Jean Harlowe

Holden Pike 10-21-05 11:29 AM

Andre Benjamin and Jean Harlowe
André Benjamin is in Hollywood Homicide with Martin Landau
Martin Landau and Eli Wallach are in Mistress
Eli Wallach and Clark Gable are in The Misfits
Gable and Harlowe were in six movies together, including Red Dust

Ann-Margret to Mandy Moore

Misirlou 10-21-05 12:10 PM

Ann-Margret was in Any Given Sunday with Al Pacino
Al Pacino was in Heat with Robert DeNiro
Robert DeNiro was in Goodfellas with Joe Pesci
Joe Pesci was in Home Alone with Macaulay Culkin
Macaulay Culkin was in Saved! with Mandy Moore

Daniel Day-Lewis to Molly Ringwald

Holden Pike 10-21-05 12:28 PM

Daniel Day-Lewis to Molly Ringwald
Daniel Day-Lewis is in In the Name of the Father with Pete Postlethwaite
Pete Postlethwaite and Molly Ringwald are in Cowboy Up

Peter Lorre to Steve Buscemi
http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/movies..._lorre_170.jpg http://www.kino.de/pix/MBBILDER/MITWIRK/Z0307403.JPG

Misirlou 10-22-05 01:18 AM

Peter Lorre was in Casablanca with Ingrid Bergman
Ingrid Bergman was in Murder on the Orient Express with Sean Connery
Sean Connery was in The Rock with Nicholas Cage
Nicholas Cage was in Con Air with Steve Buscemi

Ice Cube to Cary Elwes

Holden Pike 10-22-05 12:28 PM

Ice Cube to Cary Elwes
Ice Cube is in Anaconda with Jon Voight
Jon Voight and Cary Elwes are in Uprising

Lana Turner to Kathleen Turner

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...180px-Lana.jpg http://www.mentorhuebnerart.com/imag...n%20Turner.jpg

samq79 10-24-05 10:42 AM

Lana Turner was in Madame X with John Forsythe, who was in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle with Demi Moore. She and Michael Douglas starred in Disclosure. Michael Douglas starred in Romancing the Stone with Kathleen Turner

Peter Lawford and Rachel Leigh Cook

Holden Pike 10-24-05 12:09 PM

Peter Lawford and Rachel Leigh Cook
Peter Lawford is in Advise & Consent with Henry Fonda
Hank Fonda and Michael Caine are in The Swarm
Michael Caine and Rachel Leigh Cook are in the Get Carter re-make

Doris Day to Meg Ryan
http://www.antiqueradios.com/shows/D.../doris_day.jpg http://www.beautifulhairdos.com/pict...eg.ryan.02.jpg

samq79 10-25-05 10:23 AM

Doris Day was in With Six You Get Eggroll with George Carlin.
Carlin was in Dogma with Matt Damon.
Damon starred in Courage Under Fire with Meg Ryan

Alan Rickman and Tony Danza (Oh yes, I said Tony Danza!)

Holden Pike 10-25-05 12:42 PM

Alan Rickman and Tony Danza
Alan Rickman is in Glaxy Quest with Tim Allen
Tim Allen and Tony Danza are both in Meet Wally Sparks

Jack Lemmon to Alexis Bledel
http://www.lifeinhouston.com/jack-lemmon/lemmon.jpg http://images.usatoday.com/life/ente...xis-bledel.jpg

samq79 10-26-05 10:49 AM

Jack Lemmon was in For Richer, For Poorer with Talia Shire, who was in I Heart Huckabees with her son, Jason Schwartzman
Schwartzman starred in Rushmore, which featured Alexis Bledel as an extra

Roger Moore and Scott Speedman

Holden Pike 10-26-05 11:45 AM

...Rushmore, which featured Alexis Bledel as an extra
Oh, yeah. She was great in that. :indifferent:

Jack Lemmon is in Missing with Sissy Spacek
Sissy and Alexis Bledel star in Tuck Everlasting

Roger Moore and Scott Speedman
Roger Moore is in The Sins of Rachel Cade with Angie Dickinson
Angie Dickinson and Scott Speedman are in Duets

John Gielgud to Daniel Stern

samq79 10-26-05 01:42 PM

Oh, yeah. She was great in that. :indifferent:

NICE...REAL NICE...she was in it, though...

John Gielgud was in Portrait of a Lady with Shelley Duvall, who was in Frankenweenie with Daniel Stern

Kate Beckinsale and Marilyn Monroe

Holden Pike 10-26-05 03:06 PM

Kate Beckinsale and Marilyn Monroe
Kate Beckinsale is in The Aviator with Jude Law
Jude Law and Lauren Bacall are in Presence of Mind
Lauren Bacall and Marilyn Monroe are in How to Marry a Millionaire

Gene Kelly to Bill Paxton

samq79 10-26-05 05:54 PM

Gene Kelly was in What a Way to Go! with Shirley Maclaine, who was in The Evening Star with Bill Paxton

Rosemary Clooney and Jennifer Lopez

Holden Pike 10-26-05 07:31 PM

Rosemary Clooney and Jennifer Lopez
Rosemary Clooney is in The Radioland Murders with Michael McKean
Michael McKean and Jennifer Lopez are both in Coppola's dud Jack

Betty Grable to Halle Berry

Sinny McGuffins 10-26-05 10:38 PM

Betty Grable to Halle Berry
Betty Grable was in How to Marry a Millionaire with Lauren Bacall,
Lauren Bacall was in Dogville with Paul Bettany,
Paul Bettany was in A Knight's Tale with Heath Ledger,
Heath Ledger was in Monster's Ball with Halle Berry.

Edward G. Robinson to David Arquette

samq79 10-27-05 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sinny Mcguffins
Edward G. Robinson to David Arquette
Edward G Robinson was in The Biggest Bundle of them all with Raquel Welch, who was in Muppets go Hollywood with Frank Oz, who was in Muppets from Space with David Arquette

Ray Liotta to Ingrid Bergman

PreacherMan 10-28-05 07:01 PM

Ray Liotta was in Goodfellas with Robert DeNiro
Robert DeNiro was in Cape Fear with Gregory Peck
Gregory Peck was in Spellbound with Ingrid Bergman

Jim Varney to Emilio Estevez