Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New DVDs (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=107)

jamesglewisf 10-29-00 01:37 PM

I just bought three new DVDs last night:
  • Toy Story 2
  • Shanghai Noon
  • The Patriot
Have you gotten any new ones lately?

These are three of my favorite movies in each genre. Not the favorites, but I like them anyway. My wife and I really like Jackie Chan movies.

OG- 10-29-00 05:19 PM

I just bought Pitch Black the Directors Cut, and Mortal Kombat. Both are pretty damn good.

ryanpaige 10-30-00 02:01 AM

I got Shanghai Noon, Arsenic & Old Lace and Blue Streak last week.

Laurie L 10-30-00 04:21 AM

Just bought American Beauty, Jurassic Park, Lost World, Pitch Black, U-571, Patriot, the Scream Trilogy with bonus 4th disc and the Toy Story 1 and 2 box set with bonus 3rd disc today. Frequency and Return to Me come out on Tuesday...looking forward to those.

OG- 10-30-00 09:19 AM

Hey Laurie L, do you know any of those eggs for Pitch Black? It say's it is the directors cut, but I didn't see anything to graphic in it?

Yoda 10-30-00 09:45 AM

Pitch Black - now that's a movie with a cool concept...I wasn't satisfied with it overall though. Looked a lot cooler to me than it ended up being.

OG- 10-30-00 09:50 AM

When I saw it in the Theater I thought it was only ok. But when I bought it on Friday, I've watched it like 3 times since then, and I can't get over what a cool movie it is.

jamesglewisf 10-30-00 12:55 PM

I'm looking forward to Frequency and Return to Me also.

Laurie L 10-31-00 12:29 AM

Doesn't look like Pitch Black has any Easter Eggs on it. Kind of odd since it's a Universal release. Universal/MCA loves to put the films score in the language section has an egg. Considering the disc has DTS encoded on it, there probably wasn't enough space for the score or any other eggs. Shanghai Noon should have eggs on it though.

OG- 11-01-00 06:24 PM

That sucks. I just bought Sleepy Hollow on DVD for 8 dollars. Anything on that??

Yoda 11-01-00 06:30 PM

8 bucks? Whoa! Where'd you but it from?

OG- 11-01-00 06:47 PM

The local video store by my house sells the DVD's that no one rents anymore for cheap prices.

Laurie L 11-02-00 12:32 AM

Nope, sorry. No eggs on Sleepy Hollow. By the way, Frequency and Return to Me are terrific. If you get a chance, I highly recommend watching IMAX DVDs. I finally bought the Dolphin IMAX DVD to complete my collection. The quality is just as good as IMAX theater, with the exception of the 80 foot by 110 foot screen. :)

Yoda 11-02-00 01:03 AM

Just saw Frequency - highly 'confoosin, and some of it was a bit odd (I'm not sure if it all really fits together), but it was still fun to watch, and definitely had some cool moments.

Any features on the Frequency DVD? :) How about "Saving Private Ryan"? :D

Laurie L 11-02-00 02:47 AM

None on Saving Private Ryan. Still checking for Frequency, but nothing so far.

ryanpaige 11-03-00 08:46 PM

Well, they aren't "new", but I did buy three more DVDs at the Wal-Mart last night. I picked up Galaxy Quest, Midnight Run and Weird Science. The Midnight Run and Weird Science were only $9.98 each at the Wal-Mart. (They also had Sixteen Candles and The Meaning of Life and some others in the $9.98 bin), so I couldn't pass those up. They don't have any extras or anything, but they're both funny movies.

sunfrog 11-04-00 02:52 PM

Hey,
Is there a place on this board where people post coupons and codes for the different Dvd stores online?

ryanpaige 11-06-00 03:58 AM

Well, I went back to the Wal-Mart and picked up John Carpenter's They Live! on DVD yesterday. I couldn't resist.

By the way, the movie itself isn't any better on DVD. :)

Yoda 11-06-00 09:47 AM

Isn't that one of those old 1950's movies where some city is eaten by giant ants, or something of the sort? I'd heard of that in a book I was skimming through a couple weeks ago. Any good? Or am I thinking of something else?

ryanpaige 11-06-00 05:32 PM

THe Giant Ant movie is called Them!, I believe.

They Live is from the '80s. It stars Rowdy Roddy Piper (a former pro wrestler) as a homeless guy who gets hold of some special sunglasses that allow him to see that there are aliens living among us and controling the world. It's a silly movie, but among some, it's considered a cult classic (I assume that's a small "some", though).

Yoda 11-06-00 08:27 PM

Definitely sounds like it could be a good movie, in an odd Men-In-Black sort of way. Ahhhh "Them!", that's right. Thanks for correcting me there. Havn't seen it: just read about it in a book.

The book was "Monsters From the Id" - ever hear of it?

ryanpaige 11-06-00 08:53 PM

I've heard a little about that book. It appears to be too highbrow for me.

Yoda 11-06-00 11:30 PM

:laugh: - at least you can admit it! It's not that rough - I've read about one chapter, and I find it quite interesting. If I were you I would definitely take the time to read it...it's interesting to go back and watch movies again, taking note of all the instances of implied sexuality and such.

OG- 11-07-00 02:39 PM

I just bought Final Destination on DVD for another $8. The DVD has a fair amount of extra features, including an alternate ending.

Yoda 11-07-00 02:43 PM

Do tell! I must hear of this alternate ending! Spill it!

OG- 11-07-00 02:57 PM

It's a pretty lame alternate ending. I first saw it when I rented the DVD a month ago, but now I went out and bought it. So if this is spoiling anything for you, turn away now.

===Alternate Ending===
When Devon Sawa grabs the wire off of the car, he dies. He catches on fire and you watch him burn to death. Well there was a scene that they cut from the movie thats in the DVD where Sawa and Larter get-it-on on the beach (you don't actually see anything, but its implied.) Well she gets pregnant and has their baby, and then theres a scene where shes at the grave with the other remaining guy, can't think of his name, and they have a conversation about death. It's a very bad ending and they made the right choice to change it to the ending in Paris. Although the DVD does have a segment where they show their screen tests on people, and some people liked the other ending better, but more people did like the Paris ending alot better. As did I.
[Edited by OG- on 11-07-2000]

Yoda 11-07-00 03:15 PM

Has the baby? When? I'm confused.

I thought he was going to die and end it there - would have made sense to me.

OG- 11-07-00 03:31 PM

Ok do you remember the scene where hes on the beach, and she finds him and talks to him? We'll they had sex on the beach, and she became pregant. Theres a scene on the DVD where you see her taking pregnancy test, which turns out positive. Well he dies, but she lives because he pulled the wire off of the car. It says 9 months later on the bottom, and you see her in the hospital giving birth to their child. The "their" being Devon Sawa's character, and Ali Larter's character. Following the birth scene, you see her in a park with the remaining jock guy, Carter, and they have a conversation about how death is and such. It's pretty stupid and doesn't fit the movie like the Paris ending did.

OG- 11-07-00 05:38 PM

I just got done watching the commentary on Final Destination. The commentary itself makes this DVD worth buying. Its awesome. It explains everything in the movie, and points out a ton of stuff that you never noticed before. The first 3 times I watched this movie I never noticed the pictures behind everyone in the airport. Those pictures all had pictures of how everyone was going to die in the movie. I love that kind of stuff that you never notice the first time, and the commentary points out all that stuff.

jamesglewisf 01-01-01 08:46 PM

I got some new DVDs
  • Clueless
  • The Conversation
  • Dick
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • Edward Scissorhands
  • The Game
  • G.I. Jane
  • Godzilla
  • Groundhog Day
  • Hunt for the Red October
  • Lost Horizon
  • The Man Who Knew Too Little
  • My Fellow Americans
  • Mystery Men
  • The Net
  • North by Northwest
  • Peacemaker
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Silverado
  • Speed
  • Teaching Mrs. Tingle
  • Uncle Buck
  • What About Bob?

ryanpaige 01-01-01 09:18 PM

Wow, makes my purchases of Clerks and Charade today seem a little shabby by comparison. :)

sunfrog 01-01-01 09:20 PM

Hey! I like Them. :)
It gave me an idea to make sunglasses that make the world look black and white with no colors at all. Why would you want sunglasses that do that? I don't know, but it might be neat. :)

jamesglewisf 01-02-01 01:49 AM

I love Uncle Buck. We watched it tonight. I'm at the end of Speed right now. It's a nail-biter.

ryanpaige 01-06-01 02:07 PM

I went and bought two more DVDs yesterday. I got Blazing Saddles and Scary Movie.

The Blazing Saddles has a weird feature. They have an interview with Mel Brooks on there, and it plays over the movie, but it's not really a director's commentary as he's obviously not watching the movie and commenting on it, he's just making general comments about his experiences making the movie, etc. The weirder thing is that it's only 55 minutes long, so in the middle of Lilli Von Schtupp's "I'm Tired" routine, it goes from Mel Brooks talking to Lilli singing.

I'm glad the feature is one there (there was some interesting stuff that Mel talked about), but it was sort of an odd way to do it.

Laurie L 01-06-01 05:42 PM

Yeah I've seen that too. It is kind of strange to do it that way, but whatever works I guess. Spaceballs is kind of the same way with a behind-the-scenes featurette that was done in a way that seems strange, but it is still funny and informative.

sunfrog 01-09-01 04:47 PM

I joined a dvd club. Laurie knows which one. I don't want to advertise. Anyway, I picked Saving Ryan's.., Lol, sorry. Couldn't help it. :D Ahem, Saving Private Ryan, The Thing(Yes!) War of the Worlds and 12 Monkeys, Last week I bought Sleepy Hollow and Hollow Man came in the mail. I had preordered it. :)

I'm a happy camper!

ryanpaige 01-09-01 05:26 PM

I just ordered the Buffy The Vampire Slayer First Season set, and I ordered Wallace & Gromit's first three adventures DVD (but I'm a little concerned that said DVD won't reach me. Amazon.com says it's out of print, and the suckers sell on eBay for upwards of $55. It just seems unlikely that I could buy a new copy for $20. If it turns out the disc comes with no problems, I may start selling them myself on eBay.)

OG- 01-09-01 06:19 PM

I just got Hollow Man and Scary Movie the other day.

Laurie L 01-09-01 11:46 PM

You'll enjoy it Sun. It's a good club with a huge selection.

Ryan - There are more Wallace and Gromit DVDs coming to the market in the next 6 weeks. Can't remember which ones right now, but I can find it for you if you need the info.

I need to get on Amazon.com and order the Carl Sagan Cosmos 7 DVD set. They finally put the entire series to DVD, but it's only available at carlsagan.com and Amazon. I don't care though. I've been waiting for this series for "billions and billions" of months...lol.

ryanpaige 01-10-01 12:43 AM

No need to go out of your way for me. I'm sure I'll see it when it's released if this current company doesn't come through for me.

sunfrog 02-05-01 10:39 PM

Just got:

Girl Interupted
Life is Beautiful
Mission to Mars
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Deep Rising. I never saw this but I know a guy who wants to trade for it. I'm trying to get Tremors 1 or 2

OG- 02-24-01 03:22 PM

The Silence of the Lambs- The Criterion Collection

ryanpaige 02-24-01 03:46 PM

I just got:

Clerks: The Animated Series
The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
North By Northwest
There's Something About Mary
Soul of the Game

jamesglewisf 02-25-01 01:18 AM

Keeping the Faith
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Man in the Moon
Loser
Sleepy Hollow
French Kiss
That Touch of Mink
The Kid
When Harry Met Sally
10 Things I Hate About You

sunfrog 02-25-01 05:42 PM

Tremors 1 :)
Patriot
Frequency
The Messenger
Toy Story 2 pack
Yeah! :)

OG- 02-25-01 06:41 PM

Alright shut up! I was all happy about getting 1 new DVD but NO!! You punks had to go ruin that by talking about all these new DVD's you got!!

BAHUMBUG!:furious:

Laurie L 02-25-01 07:42 PM

LOL. I was going to post mine, but now I'm thinking better of it. hehe.

OG- 02-25-01 09:11 PM

Yea you better!

Laurie L 02-25-01 11:21 PM

:P Would you feel better if I posted one a day for the next 3 weeks? lol

OG- 02-26-01 12:08 AM

Now your just rubbing it in my face.

ryanpaige 02-26-01 12:39 AM

Originally posted by OG-
Alright shut up! I was all happy about getting 1 new DVD but NO!! You punks had to go ruin that by talking about all these new DVD's you got!!

BAHUMBUG!:furious:
Since I usually get my DVDs online, I tend to wait until there are at least two or three that I want before placing an order (usually it means lower shipping costs per disc when ordering more than one at a time). If I were buying more frequently (and in a local retail store), I'd likely buy them one at a time.

Laurie L 02-26-01 01:37 AM

Originally posted by OG-
Now your just rubbing it in my face.
Hehe. Not at all <add evil grin here> lol

OG- 03-03-01 06:02 PM

Got Ravenous last night.

sunfrog 03-03-01 06:47 PM

I got:

Perfect Storm
The Green Mile

OG- 04-09-01 07:22 PM

Just bought The Frighteners.

ryanpaige 04-19-01 06:44 PM

Went on a smallish shopping spree yesterday and picked up:

The Tao of Steve
Return of the Pink Panther
Tin Cup
The Usual Suspects

Probably going to go today and get The Music Man (They didn't have it at Best Buy, but they have it at a different store locally).

I also ordered Bowfinger, but it hasn't gotten to me yet.

OG- 04-28-01 09:53 PM

Bought Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels today.

Steve 04-29-01 12:53 AM

bought Leaving Las Vegas, Fargo, and the Discreet Charm of the Bourgeiose criterion today

ryanpaige 04-29-01 02:31 AM

I did go back and buy The Music Man the other day. And I got my Bowfinger in the mail. I also got Election and Goldfinger (since that one is going OOP, I thought I should pick it up. It's one of the few Bond movies I really cared to own when it came down to it).

OG- 06-03-01 02:37 PM

Ninja Scroll.

ryanpaige 06-03-01 06:58 PM

I picked up Back to School, Some Like it Hot: SE, Kingpin, City Slickers, Ghostbusters and Austin Powers last week. I also ordered El Mariachi/Desperado, Boiler Room, Charlie's Angels and The Firm.

OG- 06-04-01 09:36 PM

Se7en Collectors Edition.

Arthur Dent 06-17-01 08:09 PM

I just got a DVD player last week, and bought the following DVDs:

Spartacus
L.A. Confidential
Best of Friends Vols. 1 and 2
High Noon
Ben-Hur
Heat
The Maltese Falcon
Cool Hand Luke
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Othello
Lawrence of Arabia
2001: A Space Odyssey
Se7en

ryanpaige 06-18-01 12:11 AM

I finally broke down and ordered Rated X. I wanted to see it, but didn't have Showtime when it was on and the copy at the video store is ALWAYS checked out (give your movie a title like that, and it will always be checked out). Since the DVD was only $14.99, I decided I'd just buy a copy since that's apparently the only way I'll ever get to see the movie.

mightymose 06-18-01 01:56 AM

Just bought Fight Club, Emperor's New Groove, Big Hit, and Crouching Tiger.

Steve 06-18-01 12:47 PM

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

mightymose 06-19-01 06:53 PM

Just got a refund check from the University for a dropped class and decided to blow a lot of it on some DVD's.

We just picked up

Some Like It Hot
Final Destination (on recommendation from the board)
O Brother Where Art Thou?
The Killer.
Night of the Living Dead.

mightymose 06-23-01 06:21 PM

Just picked up Pitch Black and Carnival of Souls on my way back from The Fast and Furious. I can't wait to watch them tonight when it gets dark!

Arthur Dent 06-24-01 07:53 PM

I just ordered Fight Club, Richard III (Ian McKellen version), and Being John Malkovich from Amazon.com.

I also ordered Wilde, but that was on VHS (because there is no DVD, dammit! :(

Mercury Satin 06-26-01 08:16 AM

The Exorcist (the version you've never seen)
Terminator (collectors edition)

Z¥GG¥

X - ZZ - X

DoomsDay 06-28-01 12:12 PM

I think if I get any DVD at all, it will be either be MANGA or Animation. Still waiting for Hayao Miyazaki's work to be DVD'ed.

ryanpaige 06-28-01 12:53 PM

I bought "A Fish Called Wanda" at Wal-Mart last night.

I also ordered the following online (but not at Wal-Mart):

A Simple Plan
O Brother Where Art Though
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Dog Day Afternoon
Dudley Do-Right (mostly for the kids, though I enjoyed the movie, too, for some reason)
Fletch
In The Line of Fire: SE
The Jerk
Primary Colors (which I almost bought at Wal-Mart in a package with Erin Brockovich, but the thing didn't have a price on it)
Westworld

And I preordered Wayne's World 1 and 2.

I just heard that Fawlty Towers is being released on DVD in October, and Memento is being released on Sept 4th, so I'm certainly going to be placing orders for those.

ryanpaige 06-30-01 05:33 PM

Picked up All the President's Men and Zero Effect today.

mightymose 07-01-01 02:25 AM

Just picked up Rosemary's Baby and Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Steve 07-07-01 04:08 PM

Yesterday I bought Shawshank and Manhattan

Yoda 07-08-01 10:47 PM

Gone In 60 Seconds
Big Daddy
Mission: Impossible
Jurassic Park

...more coming in the mail soon! :)

OG- 07-09-01 03:14 PM

Wish I had my DVD coming in the mail soon...HINT HINT! :D

Yoda 07-09-01 04:22 PM

Oh yeah. I'll try to get that out soon (funny, I said that last time, didn't I?). Got some packaging ready and all that. Anyway, I got 4 more DVDs in the mail today:
  • The Usual Suspects
  • The Shawshank Redemption
  • Unbreakable
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail

OG- 07-09-01 04:53 PM

lol, no rush!

Arthur Dent 07-10-01 02:02 PM

While vacationing in Seattle, I picked up Chaplin and All About Eve. I also bought The Importance of Being Earnest on VHS (since there is no DVD).

Oh, and the Manhunter VHS was on sale for $6.99 at Suncoast so I bought that as well.

jrs 07-12-01 04:04 PM

Just bought the new Die Hard DVD Box Set. All three are SE and are really cool. The one that stands out the most is Die Hard. It's a 5 Star edition with discs and loads of material. You can even make your own version of the film by using its edit section built on the disc. Cool :cool:

OG- 07-12-01 04:40 PM

How much did that cost? I keep looking for that, but I can't find it anywhere.

jrs 07-12-01 04:42 PM

For me, around $70.00

Arthur Dent 07-22-01 08:33 PM

Last Friday I bought:

Henry V (Branagh version)
Much Ado About Nothing
Elizabeth
GoodFellas
Almost Famous
Man on the Moon

OG- 08-07-01 05:06 PM

Die Hard Ultimate Edition Box Set

Laurie L 08-08-01 12:56 AM

Dream is Alive (IMAX)
Blue Planet (IMAX)
Sweet November
Clan of the Cave Bear, The
Snatch
Mexican, The
Chocolat
3000 Miles to Graceland
American Pie Ultimate Edition

jrs 08-08-01 01:26 AM

Monkeybone:Special Edition

OG- 08-13-01 04:12 PM

Unbreakable. It was an impulse buy.

mightymose 08-13-01 04:46 PM

The Jerk
Flet
Clerks (animated series)
The Mexican
When Harry Met Sally
Jurassic Park

Next on my list is the Die Hard Box Set... just have to get the bills paid :)

jrs 08-14-01 01:02 PM

good choice for your next pick! :cool:

OG- 08-14-01 06:21 PM

Yes, GREAT pick for your next DVD set. You will be very happy with it.

sunfrog 08-14-01 06:37 PM

I won a movie!

Congratulations!
You are the winner of an AFI Top 100
Most Heart-Pounding Movie

It just came in the mail! It's Rocky!
Best Picture 1976 Woohoo! Yo Rockee! :D

OG- 08-14-01 07:11 PM

Yea I won a DVD once too...:D

jrs 08-15-01 12:08 AM

Me too.....I won Batman on Video. But that was a long time ago.

OG- 10-10-01 04:46 PM

One Night at McCools

spudracer 10-10-01 11:49 PM

I strongly suggest that everyone purchase Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, get it for the movie, but enjoy all the special features.

OG- 10-30-01 11:39 PM

Swordfish

OG- 11-25-01 12:21 AM

Planet of the Apes Special Edition- One of the best DVD's out there. Oozes features.

Requiem for a Dream. I almost wet myself when I saw the $14.99 pricetag!!!

jungerpants 11-25-01 12:22 PM

Friday I bought Shrek, Episode 1, and POTA. All cheap and all 2 disc special editions... awesome stuff. Episode 1 was a lot better movie than I remembered it to be.

spudracer 11-25-01 01:42 PM

Hyper, Episode 1 just sounds so much better than it did on VHS (of course), especially the added footage makes the movie a tad bit more enjoyable. Wonder which version they'll show on FOX.

I bought Mortal Kombat and the weaker sequel, Annihilation, in a two pack for 14.95. Tomb Raider, being a Paramount disc, amazed me being only 19.95 instead of the usual 21.95.

POTA, I'm with OG- on this one, the features are so fulfilling its almost unbearable.

The Grinch, the features on this are alright, but not fully satisfying.

visit www.movieforums.com/dvd for the specs on these discs as well as some not yet released.