Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Critique Our Top 10 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=45237)

matt72582 04-10-16 09:59 AM

Critique Our Top 10

If you dislike a movie, or think it's overrated, or even underrated, or just a discussion on where we agree.

Iroquois 04-10-16 10:05 AM

Re: Critique Our Top 10

nerd garbage

SeeingisBelieving 04-10-16 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1492843)
If you dislike a movie, or think it's overrated, or even underrated, or just a discussion on where we agree.
Unfortunately I haven't seen any of your top 10:). So I'm not going to get very far.

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1492846)
nerd garbage
Nice and easy – I love Escape from New York and pretty much all John Carpenter's films. And the fact that his favourite Kurt Russell film is Captain Ron is an enormous plus:D.

Optimus 04-10-16 10:30 AM

Only seen Alien, i thought it was meh.

SeeingisBelieving 04-10-16 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1492858)
Only seen Alien, i thought it was meh.
Eh?!:eek:

seanc 04-10-16 10:33 AM

Nashville, There Will Be Blood, Network, and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest are big time favorites of mine. I told you when you did your 100, I find it interesting that we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum but have a lot of films with political themes in common. I think it speaks to how good artists can make art that speaks to people on many different levels. Also probably speaks to how no matter your political affiliation, the government in this country can annoy the hell out of you. :)

La Strada, Harry And Tonto, and Birdman of Alcatraz are all fine movies, but very middle of the road for me. None of them ever hooked me emotionally or mentally the way they did you.

I really want to see They Shoot Horses. Need to prioritize it, been on the radar too long.

If there is a major place where me and you differ it is I don't think you let yourself have much fun watching movies. It is great when a movie speaks to you profoundly. It can be just as great to give yourself over to silliness or get an adrenaline rush too.

SeeingisBelieving 04-10-16 10:33 AM

Batman Returns is a great big slice of Tim Burton isn't it? Much more than Batman I would say. It was great and I'm glad I saw it at the cinema.

I really enjoyed Iron Man as well, but I haven't seen the sequels.

False Writer 04-10-16 11:30 AM

I've only seen Alien, but that was a great film that deserves to be called one of the best in both Sci-Fi and horror.

SeeingisBelieving 04-10-16 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1492881)
I've only seen Alien, but that was a great film that deserves to be called one of the best in both Sci-Fi and horror.
I think so too – I think just as a film it's a brilliant piece of work:).

Sorry not to be able to offer an opinion on your Top 10 but again I haven't seen them. I notice a lot of people are going for Fury Road though.

False Writer 04-10-16 11:41 AM

I'll be honest, it's not my actual top 10. I was bored so I decided to change it to just my favorite movies of this decade. No worries. ;)

The Gunslinger45 04-10-16 11:45 AM

Well even if you are going with favorite films of this decade, Fury Road and ONLY 10? Shame on you. ;) I have not seen Hardcore Henry so I can't comment.

But points for having Nightcrawler, The Raid, and Birdman on the list. Though I prefer Birdman to The Revenant.

Also The Rover I thought was dull. And since it stared a protagonist with an unknown name played by Guy Pierce going through the Outback, I just ended up calling him Felicia the entire movie. I guess he went nuts when Tick and Bernadette were killed in the kinda sort of Apocalypse.

Tugg 04-10-16 11:47 AM

Matt's top 10 is unfamiliar to me. I've seen 3 out of 10 movies and only one I remember well- "Network", which was average, I thought, though it must have been great for it's time. On rewatch I would likely still diss "There Will Be Blood", but I would expect to find "One Flew Over the Cucoo's Nest" average to good.

Iroquois's "Escape from New York" seemed old fashioned and underwhelming to me.

SeeingisBelieving's top 10 is unknown to me ecsept "Alien" which was good.

Optimus's top 10 has 5 of my favorite movies in it, 3 alright movies: "300", "Donie Brasco" & "Scarface" and 2 movies I haven't seen: "Deadpool" & "Boogie Nights". Of the five movies I like, "Wolf of Wall Street" is one I used to loath. But after watching it all the way through I couldn't help but laught at some of their antics. I've come to think of it as being above the usual stoner/ druggie/ crime comedies. "Batman Returns" is one of my most recent favorites too. I liked how it playfully delves into intimate or dark aspects of human psyche with so much creativity. I don't like realism dramas but I think "Batman Returns" has what people find appealing in them and presents it all like a fairy tale. It also has political drama and comedic elements. It's great when movie can make it all work cohesively.

Seanc's top 3 are known to me, but other 7 on his list are not. Of the three,- two are great and "Pulp Fiction" is overrated.

SeeingisBelieving 04-10-16 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1492885)
I'll be honest, it's not my actual top 10. I was bored so I decided to change it to just my favorite movies of this decade. No worries. ;)
I know it's not always easy. I wouldn't normally use miniseries, which a couple of mine are, rather than films but I couldn't think of anything else:p.

TONGO 04-10-16 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1492889)
I know it's not always easy. I wouldn't normally use miniseries, which a couple of mine are, rather than films but I couldn't think of anything else:p.
Terry Gilliam puts his "signature" directing before the story every time, horrible storyteller, but was great w/Monty Python, & Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

Yeah other than Alien you seem to like alot of pretentious crap.

SeeingisBelieving 04-10-16 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1492890)
Terry Gilliam puts his "signature" directing before the story every time, horrible storyteller, but was great w/Monty Python, & Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

Yeah other than Alien you seem to like alot of pretentious crap.
A smiley or two at the end of that post wouldn't have gone amiss.

I'm surprised you're calling any of my choices pretentious as well. I can't see it myself.

TONGO 04-10-16 11:58 AM

:) Sorry.

Tugg 04-10-16 12:01 PM

False Writer's top 10 has 4 of my favorite movies: "Zootopia", Nightcrawler", "Prisoners" & "Mad Max: Fury Road", 2 underwhelming movies: "The Revenant" & "Birdman" and 4 movies I haven't seen.

Gunslinger's #1 "Taxi Driver" was not impressing to me. I love "Blade Runner" & "Mulholland Drive" is my #1 of all time. I haven't seen or don't remember the remaining 7 movies.

SeeingisBelieving 04-10-16 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1492898)
:) Sorry.
I was looking at a documentary about Goodfellas yesterday and I liked Paul Sorvino's story that he fretted about whether he could play Paulie. He was certain he needed a look in his eyes to convey the lethality of Paulie and as he was going out one night he glanced in the mirror and Paulie was staring back at him. I love those moments.

Tugg 04-10-16 12:09 PM

Tongo's "Goodfellas" is quite good and "Forest Gump" & "Silence of the Lambs" were in my top 100. I'm not sure what to think about "Taken" after I've been numbed by it's sequels. I haven't seen other 6.

Optimus 04-10-16 12:11 PM

Haven't seen any of Tugg's, but i do want to see Tripple9.

Tugg 04-10-16 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1492906)
Haven't seen any of Tugg's, but i do want to see Tripple9.
My top 10 is actually top 10 little known movies I like.

Citizen Rules 04-10-16 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 1492911)
My top 10 is actually top 10 little known movies I like.
Yup, you're right about that. I've only heard of 1 of your films, Black Sea (which I did watch).

matt72582 04-10-16 02:46 PM

Sean, I don't mind our political differences one bit.. I get along with the "other side" the same, if not more - there's a lot more than that label. Sincerity, passion, and many other factors fall in. Because of the election cycle it already sounds cliche but I like anti-establishment, rebellious, passion, justice, virtue and the movies we like have them. You can have fun with great, and always very open-minded about what I watch next. I have found handfuls of GREAT movies thanks to everyone here. I've always been curious of the root of certain movie tastes, so I wonder how much different we REALLY are politically. Eventually if you dissect, break an argument down, you can get at the source for type of human necessity. And the same with movies. I just looked at your list, and more than a handful of those have so much meaning to me, and glad you remembered my Top 100 :)

I loved "M" (suspense) and a few days ago I saw "The Blue Dahlia" and as you mentioned "One Flew.." I think is very funny. As for the lighthearted movies, I'm trying to think of the last one I saw, maybe "Never On Sunday"? - it's a Greek/English movie, but I think is funny at times, and takes the serious very lightly. Check it out if you haven't. I think you'll love TSHDT. I won't say anything about it, but can't wait to hear what you have to say about it!

Gunslingers' favorite is one of my favorites. Did you see that hilarious Uber picture; Two businessmen are inside a cafe while Travis is right outside watching with blood in his heart!

Tongo too, Glengary Glenn Ross is so great on it's own, and then you add that amazing cast; I would have thought it being SO popular. Even if it wasn't a great movie, I'd think that it would have been more talked about just having Pacino, Jack Lemon, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin..... I love "Seven Samurai" and Kurosawa in general, has a handful of great movies. "Ikiru" was the first I saw of his, and probably will always be my favorite. Rashomon is a great movie on perception and reality, which are my personal every day themes, always trying to find the truth, not the result I want, but sifting through layers of deception (or by accident) and getting to it.

False Writer 04-10-16 08:26 PM

Matt: There Will Be Blood, Network, and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest are all great films! Haven't seen any others though.

I put my actual top 10 back up, if anyone wants to take a look.

Tugg 04-10-16 09:00 PM

False Writer's "Reservoir Dogs" is one of better Tarantino's, especially dialogue. "Fight Club" is cult classic that I have respect for. It could have been your top 10 that prompted me to watch "Silent Hill" and I loved it especially for it's atmosphere and transcendence. I found "Office Space" to be average, generously speaking. Obviously "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy is great. I haven't seen the remaining movies.

Iroquois 04-11-16 12:02 AM

I think the only one of Tugg's current list of favourites that I've seen is Barfly, which I thought was alright but nothing amazing. Still quite a few on there that do I want to see.

(Also, I should probably actually put in a proper top 10 if I want to keep posting in here, huh?)

TONGO 04-11-16 12:15 AM

Allright Ill critique Iroquois, I feel like Im walking onto the schoolyard for a beating ;)

WHAT?! All you have listed is Escape From New York?! If this is how youve always had it this is the first time I noticed (I dont usually check out peoples top ten) Oh come on Dude youre deeper than that.

Ok Ill check the poster above you, Tugg (great name)....Oh my gosh I dont recognize any except Barfly, which I did see. Different assortment, and they dont look "arty". I knew I slowed down on watching films the past 10 years but this is alarming.

Edit In - I didnt read Iros post till after I wrote mine, I almost repeated everything he said. :eek:

Iroquois 04-11-16 03:57 AM

I've generally had proper top 10s for most of the time but I did a change for April Fool's and then my change after that ended up being, well, what you see now. I should probably get around to filling it out properly.

As for your top 10, TONGO - I've seen seven of your top ten films (the exceptions being The World According to Garp, The Lion in Winter, and Fist of Legend). Goodfellas and Jaws are five-star films for me while Glengarry Glen Ross and The Silence of the Lambs aren't far behind. The rest...blah.

Tugg 04-11-16 05:34 AM

Iroquois's #1 "Blues Brothers" was not my cup of tea. The only reason I don't find #2 "Raiders of the Lost Ark" great is the ending, which rendered everything that happened before it pointless. "The Holy Grail" is the very funny one. #7 "Blade Runner" has some of the most iconic and sublime moments in all of movies. I didn't dig #9 "Taxi Driver". It was not realistic enough because of lack of our knowledge about protagonist's motivation, but it was too realistic to be metaphorical for me. I wouldn't mind watching your #3, #4 & #8, but I have no interest in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", becouse I have just realised I like westerns even less than history & biography movies. My first guess is I don't like watching men stare at each other.

Iroquois 04-11-16 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 1493627)
The only reason I don't find #2 "Raiders of the Lost Ark" great is the ending, which rendered everything that happened before it pointless.
Please elaborate, I would like to hear your reasons.

Tugg 04-11-16 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1493639)
Please elaborate, I would like to hear your reasons.
There's not much too it. I liked everything about the movie except the ending. If Indy and his girl didn't fight the Nazis finding lost arc first, then they wouldn't have seen the arc just like they didn't look at it in the end and Nazis would have found it and would have died, just like they did in the movie.

Nazi win and Indy getting tortured to death would have been preferable ending.

In "the Last Crusade" the ending was similar in it's outcome but executed better. First of all Nazis needed Indy to find Holy Grail. And second of all, some screen time was used to portray how their thirst for power brought Nazi downfall.

matt72582 04-11-16 09:16 AM

In Taxi Driver, I think Bickle himself didn't know what his motivations were. He can't sleep, he's lonely, so "I might as well get paid for it" and like life, things just happen when you are out and about, as opposed to sitting in your apartment, where things also "happened" (think "Late For The Sky") and then the Soap Opera..

Optimus 04-11-16 09:19 AM

Not seen any of Matt's.

teeter_g 04-11-16 09:22 AM

Haven't seen a few of them but enjoyed the ones that I did.

Iroquois 04-11-16 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 1493661)
There's not much too it. I liked everything about the movie except the ending. If Indy and his girl didn't fight the Nazis finding lost arc first, then they wouldn't have seen the arc just like they didn't look at it in the end and Nazis would have found it and would have died, just like they did in the movie.
Ah, yes, the old "Indy didn't impact anything" line of reasoning. I've heard it, but there's a few arguments against it. For one, if Indy doesn't go to Nepal and find Marion because she has the medallion that the Nazis want, then the Nazis still torture and presumably murder Marion in order to get the medallion themselves (and it's not like Indy led them to her either, they knew to look for her before Indy even got involved). Also, even if the Ark would have killed the Nazis anyway, it's still a dangerous unknown that must be accounted for no matter what, hence why the U.S. government agents want Indy to find it for them in the first place.

Nazi win and Indy getting tortured to death would have been preferable ending.
...why?

In "the Last Crusade" the ending was similar in it's outcome but executed better. First of all Nazis needed Indy to find Holy Grail. And second of all, some screen time was used to portray how their thirst for power brought Nazi downfall.
Yeah, I'll pay that, Last Crusade had a pretty satisfying ending, though I'm not entirely sure how it compares to Raiders. Was there not enough indication of how the Nazis' thirst for power caused their downfall in Raiders? I mean, the whole point was that they wanted the Ark's power for themselves, so they naturally got their comeuppance when that same power turned on them and destroyed them. It was done to all the villains at once, as opposed to showing two separate villains (Donovan and Elsa) getting two separate deaths because of their shared obsession with obtaining the Grail. Donovan and Elsa weren't even explicitly Nazis, just using the Nazis and whatever other allies they could in order to find the Grail, so to see their demises as "Nazi downfall" is a tad inaccurate.

Optimus 04-11-16 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by teeter_g (Post 1493676)
Haven't seen a few of them but enjoyed the ones that I did.
Hey Teeter, your sort of stamping on my Deadpool theme. :p

Iroquois 04-11-16 09:27 AM

teeter_g - haven't seen Maze Runner or Divergent or Lone Survivor. As for the rest, I generally like all of them except American History X and The Boondock Saints.

Iroquois 04-11-16 09:28 AM

Optimus - the main ones I like are Mad Max: Fury Road and, to a lesser extent, Scarface. The rest...eh.

seanc 04-11-16 09:50 AM

Jaws, Taxi Driver,TGTBTU, Apocalypse Now, and Raiders are all top notch films with the latter two being in my 100.

I just watched Blade Runner for the second time. I'm trying to grab onto what so many others love about it. The aesthetic is great but the story really doesn't do anything for me. The characters are too underdeveloped for my taste. I have it a 3/5 this time around.

Blues Brothers is fun. If I had grown up with it I think it would probably be a favorite. The production value was a lot higher than I expected going in. Unfortunately, not enough laughs for it to be more than a 3/5 from me.

Redwell 04-11-16 09:57 AM

Iro - You're an Apocalypse Now and Escape from New York guy. I'm a The Conversation and Halloween guy.

Matt - Brother from another mother.

Optimus - Probably has killer Fight Club fan theories.

Seanc - Universally beloved. Kind of safe.

Iroquois 04-11-16 09:59 AM

Sean - I currently consider most of your top 10 to be
or higher, with the exceptions being Rushmore and Annie Hall. I generally like Wes Anderson but I've never really bought into the hype surrounding Rushmore, while Annie Hall does very little for me beyond the odd spot of cleverness.

Iroquois 04-11-16 10:00 AM

Redwell - have seen The Master, Dogville, The Face of Another, Nashville, Days of Heaven, and Two-Lane Blacktop. I like them all quite a bit except for Two-Lane Blacktop, which I found very disappointing.

Redwell 04-11-16 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1493699)
Redwell - have seen The Master, Dogville, The Face of Another, Nashville, Days of Heaven, and Two-Lane Blacktop. I like them all quite a bit except for Two-Lane Blacktop, which I found very disappointing.
Two-Lane Blacktop is definitely more fun to think about afterwards than to sit through.

False Writer 04-11-16 12:24 PM

Iro - Raiders of the Lost Ark, Apocalypse Now, Akira, Escape From New York, Blade Runner, Jaws, Taxi Driver, and TGTBTU are all fantastic; you got some good taste! Still haven't seen Holy Grail or Blues Brothers... I know that's bad I'll try to correct that soon!

Redwell - The only one I've seen from yours is Days of Heaven, which is a masterpiece! :up:

matt72582 04-11-16 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1493673)
Not seen any of Matt's.
Paul Thomas Anderson directed "Boogie Night" - so you might like "There Will Be Blood'?

matt72582 04-11-16 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Redwell (Post 1493696)
Iro - You're an Apocalypse Now and Escape from New York guy. I'm a The Conversation and Halloween guy.

Matt - Brother from another mother.

Optimus - Probably has killer Fight Club fan theories.

Seanc - Universally beloved. Kind of safe.
Thanks brother! Do you have any 70's recommendations (or even before).. I like going chronologically, comparing, and we seem we have a liking to independent movies. I was told in other forums to avoid "Gummo" but I noticed you had it on your avatar, so I saw it right away :)

teeter_g 04-11-16 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1493680)
Hey Teeter, your sort of stamping on my Deadpool theme. :p
And? LOL! There is enough 'Pool to go around.

TONGO 04-11-16 02:20 PM

Now that Iro posted his top 10 again me looksee....

..good stuff actually. Obvious some personal favs like Blues Brothers and Escape From New York. Dang I was hoping for something to be disappointed in. :laugh:

Teeter has a good list too, though I havent seen Divergent, Lone Survivor or Maze Runner yet.

honeykid 04-11-16 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1493733)
Paul Thomas Anderson directed "Boogie Night" - so you might like "There Will Be Blood'?
Those two films have no relation at all. Boogie Nights is really good, whereas There Will Be Blood is deathly boring.

matt72582 04-11-16 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1493853)
Those two films have no relation at all. Boogie Nights is really good, whereas There Will Be Blood is deathly boring.
Did you watch the entire thing? I know the beginning doesn't have a lot of dialogue (and EVERYONE knows I care for the writing) but it's the only masterpiece I've seen this (or last) decade.

Miss Vicky 04-11-16 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1493853)
They're both deathly boring.

False Writer 04-11-16 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1493857)
Did you watch the entire thing? I know the beginning doesn't have a lot of dialogue (and EVERYONE knows I care for the writing) but it's the only masterpiece I've seen this (or last) decade.
Uhhhh LORD OF THE F'N RINGS??? :mad:

honeykid 04-11-16 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1493857)
Yep, I watched the whole thing. But I remember nothing about it. Awfully boring film.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1493859)
They're both deathly boring.
Even if the film itself were boring (and the whole Wonderland bit is fairly boring) then the soundtrack would be enough to stop it being boring.

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1493862)
Uhhhh LORD OF THE F'N RINGS??? :mad:
And while we're talking about boring. Jesus.

False Writer 04-11-16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1493868)
And while we're talking about boring. Jesus.
Jesus is boring?

honeykid 04-11-16 07:33 PM

Well, he probably was. But if he was, he probably wasn't as boring as LOTR. Though, like those films, he did end more than once and seems to've gone on forever.

seanc 04-11-16 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1493899)
Well, he probably was. But if he was, he probably wasn't as boring as LOTR. Though, like that those films, he did end more than once and seems to've gone on forever.
You set it up, HK knocks it down.

honeykid 04-11-16 07:45 PM

Well, if I don't what other use is there for me? :D

Miss Vicky 04-11-16 08:20 PM

hk

Charlie's Angels is awful. Don't care for Taxi Driver either. Haven't seen Death Race 2000, Enter the Dragon or The Straight Story, but the rest is pretty solid.

Redwell 04-11-16 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1493736)
Thanks brother! Do you have any 70's recommendations (or even before).. I like going chronologically, comparing, and we seem we have a liking to independent movies. I was told in other forums to avoid "Gummo" but I noticed you had it on your avatar, so I saw it right away :)
Here's everything I have rated 4/5 or higher on my Letterboxd. I've only been rating for about a year, so it's not a definitive list.

Bertolucci's The Conformist (1970)
Bergman's Cries & Whispers (1972)
Zulawski's The Devil (1972)
Herzog's Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)
Friedkin's The Exorcist (1973)
Polanski's Chinatown (1974)
Coppola's The Conversation (1974)
Altman's Nashville (1975)
Zulawski's That Most Important Thing: Love (1975)
Fellini's Fellini's Casanova (1976) <= Not a typo lol
Romero's Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Malick's Days of Heaven (1978)
Oshima's Empire of Passion (1978)

In regards to independent stuff, I usually don't seek out that stuff purposefully. I think "independent" is a label slapped on any director making challenging, lower budget work.

I actually didn't think that much of Harmony Korine when I saw Spring Breakers (2012), but I decided to check out the infamous Gummo (1997) anyway and thoroughly enjoyed it. I then checked out Julien Donkey-Boy (1999) and find that to be one of the most unique visions that I've ever seen. He's a polarizing director for sure, but some people seem to generally hate him as a person. Here's what Vincent Gallo (a fellow 90s independent director) wrote about him out of nowhere in his King Crimson review:

When a mini-dwarf rich kid from Nashville like Harmony Korine flies first class and moves to New York City’s Soho in his ‘plush safe’ apartment, running around town quoting Godard with lines like, "**** the bourgeois", it’s insincere, it’s calculated, it’s unoriginal, and it’s the worst thing in the world, ‘trendy’. He already knows that he and his boring girlfriend Connecticut Chloe Sevigny are going to be on the cover of ‘The Face’. He knows he’ll get his run at The Angelica and be hip in Japan. But no one will ever make an important film because they saw ‘Gummo’ or ‘Donkey Boy’.

The only impact Harmony Korine will have will be on the lives of the girls he slipped drugs to, got stoned and raped while they were passed out. An autobiographical scenario he chose to include in his average screenplay ‘Kids.' I’ll **** your ass Cary Woods.

He would later cast Korine's ex-girlfriend Chloe Sevigny in one of his movies where she performs fellatio on him on camera for real, so you can tell it wasn't an objective opinion. Herzog for instance loves Korine and starred in Julien Donkey-Boy and Mister Lonely after watching Gummo and being blown away.

Anyway, that's kind of off topic. I'm a huge fan of Richard Linklater who I'm sure you've seen movies by. He's probably the biggest American "independent" filmmaker. I guess Lars von Trier, Steve McQueen, and Terrence Malick might qualify as well.

In regards to newer guys, I think Jeff Nichols is one of the best post-2000 Americans. Some of my friends would argue that honor belongs to James Gray (debuted in '94 but took off in the 2000s).

TONGO 04-11-16 09:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6y47KcuI4Y

On your top 10 Redwell the only one I saw was Nashville, thought it was terribly overrated, but LOVE the Keith Carradine song, and that scene.
Never did see Days Of Heaven but have seen other Malick projects, not a fan! :) I think its safe to say we have nothing in common regarding film taste.

matt72582 04-11-16 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Redwell (Post 1493935)
Here's everything I have rated 4/5 or higher on my Letterboxd. I've only been rating for about a year, so it's not a definitive list.

Bertolucci's The Conformist (1970)
Bergman's Cries & Whispers (1972)
Zulawski's The Devil (1972)
Herzog's Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)
Friedkin's The Exorcist (1973)
Polanski's Chinatown (1974)
Coppola's The Conversation (1974)
Altman's Nashville (1975)
Zulawski's That Most Important Thing: Love (1975)
Fellini's Fellini's Casanova (1976) <= Not a typo lol
Romero's Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Malick's Days of Heaven (1978)
Oshima's Empire of Passion (1978)

In regards to independent stuff, I usually don't seek out that stuff purposefully. I think "independent" is a label slapped on any director making challenging, lower budget work.

I actually didn't think that much of Harmony Korine when I saw Spring Breakers (2012), but I decided to check out the infamous Gummo (1997) anyway and thoroughly enjoyed it. I then checked out Julien Donkey-Boy (1999) and find that to be one of the most unique visions that I've ever seen. He's a polarizing director for sure, but some people seem to generally hate him as a person. Here's what Vincent Gallo (a fellow 90s independent director) wrote about him out of nowhere in his King Crimson review:

When a mini-dwarf rich kid from Nashville like Harmony Korine flies first class and moves to New York City’s Soho in his ‘plush safe’ apartment, running around town quoting Godard with lines like, "**** the bourgeois", it’s insincere, it’s calculated, it’s unoriginal, and it’s the worst thing in the world, ‘trendy’. He already knows that he and his boring girlfriend Connecticut Chloe Sevigny are going to be on the cover of ‘The Face’. He knows he’ll get his run at The Angelica and be hip in Japan. But no one will ever make an important film because they saw ‘Gummo’ or ‘Donkey Boy’.

The only impact Harmony Korine will have will be on the lives of the girls he slipped drugs to, got stoned and raped while they were passed out. An autobiographical scenario he chose to include in his average screenplay ‘Kids.' I’ll **** your ass Cary Woods.

He would later cast Korine's ex-girlfriend Chloe Sevigny in one of his movies where she performs fellatio on him on camera for real, so you can tell it wasn't an objective opinion. Herzog for instance loves Korine and starred in Julien Donkey-Boy and Mister Lonely after watching Gummo and being blown away.

Anyway, that's kind of off topic. I'm a huge fan of Richard Linklater who I'm sure you've seen movies by. He's probably the biggest American "independent" filmmaker. I guess Lars von Trier, Steve McQueen, and Terrence Malick might qualify as well.

In regards to newer guys, I think Jeff Nichols is one of the best post-2000 Americans. Some of my friends would argue that honor belongs to James Gray (debuted in '94 but took off in the 2000s).
Maybe by independent movies I meant movies that I possibly didn't see. It could be a great money-maker, which doesn't bother me. I love great movies, don't care the language, year it was made, etc..

I saw most of the movies you listed, but will check out a few I haven't. Thanks bro!

Speaking of Gallo, Buffalo 66' was a good movie. I liked it very much. I seem to like movies in real-time.

Redwell 04-11-16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1493952)
Maybe by independent movies I meant movies that I possibly didn't see. It could be a great money-maker, which doesn't bother me. I love great movies, don't care the language, year it was made, etc..

I saw most of the movies you listed, but will check out a few I haven't. Thanks bro!

Speaking of Gallo, Buffalo 66' was a good movie. I liked it very much. I seem to like movies in real-time.
Word. I've been planning to watch Gallo's stuff for a while. I've got a super long queue.

Nope1172 04-11-16 09:43 PM

I just recently updated my Top 10 severely, I would like to see what you guys think of it :)

TONGO 04-11-16 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nope1172 (Post 1493961)
I just recently updated my Top 10 severely, I would like to see what you guys think of it :)
Citizen Kane looks funny amidst all the tough guy movies :laugh: They all look good, Ive never seen Whiplash

seanc 04-11-16 09:46 PM

The only one I don't care for is Mad Max. I love Pulp and Fargo, both are in my top 5. Fight Club needs a rewatch, I remember it as a 4/5. Very entertaining. Only one I haven't seen is Holy Grail, I have seen bits and expect to like it.

Miss Vicky 04-11-16 11:12 PM

The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction are excellent, though I don't love either one as much as I used to. Fargo, The Long Goodbye and Once Upon A Time in the West are quite good. I hated Rushmore and The Godfather. Haven't seen Magnolia (though I suspect I'll hate it), The Apartment or Annie Hall.

Omnizoa 04-12-16 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1493963)
Only one I haven't seen is Holy Grail,
Shame.

Iroquois 04-12-16 12:40 AM

Seen all of them except Ink and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. With the exception of Hook (which I haven't seen in forever but don't have fond memories of) and And Now For Something Completely Different (which I remember not caring much about one way or the another), I generally like the rest of your picks.

False Writer 04-12-16 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1493905)
You set it up, HK knocks it down.
Knock what down?

matt72582 04-12-16 12:49 AM

I love Citizen Kane.

matt72582 04-12-16 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1494010)
The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction are excellent, though I don't love either one as much as I used to. Fargo, The Long Goodbye and Once Upon A Time in the West are quite good. I hated Rushmore and The Godfather. Haven't seen Magnolia (though I suspect I'll hate it), The Apartment or Annie Hall.
Give Magnolia (lots of interesting characters) and Annie Hall (best movie on relationships) a chance..

Omnizoa 04-12-16 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1494050)
Seen all of them except Ink and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. With the exception of Hook (which I haven't seen in forever but don't have fond memories of) and And Now For Something Completely Different (which I remember not caring much about one way or the another), I generally like the rest of your picks.
Hook is a guilty pleasure and I don't imagine you'd particularly like Advent Children.

Ink, I don't know what you'd think of. Probably a middling score of some kind.

vinkevinnn 04-12-16 01:03 AM

I love this kind of thread. please do check mine

TONGO 04-12-16 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1494059)
Hook is a guilty pleasure and I don't imagine you'd particularly like Advent Children.

Ink, I don't know what you'd think of. Probably a middling score of some kind.
Omnizoa have you ever seen Altered States or The Cell? I definitely think youd like them, especially States. Ken Russell directed and William Hurt was made after this movie, for good reason

TONGO 04-12-16 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by vinkevinnn (Post 1494061)
I love this kind of thread. please do check mine
Ive never seen Persona or even heard of Amores Perros, others are respectable. :) Except for NCFOM, baaaaad ending

Omnizoa 04-12-16 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1494050)
I see you changed up your picks a bit.

I've seen all of yours save Apocalypse Now and Good, Bad, Ugly.

I like Blues Brothers, Raiders, and Holy Grail for sure, Escape, Jaws, Akira are memorable, never really saw the appeal in Blade Runner.

I need to watch it again (it's been many many years), but there are numerous other sci-fi movies I'd rather watch again like Logan's Run, Strange Days or Gattaca.

Even as a Harrison Ford movie, I prefer The Fugitive... if memory serves. Really, that movie just did not make any sort of impact on me.

Omnizoa 04-12-16 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1494062)
Omnizoa have you ever seen Altered States or The Cell? I definitely think youd like them, especially States. Ken Russell directed and William Hurt was made after this movie, for good reason
I don't know anything about Altered States, but The Cell seems to be frequently cited as a go-to example of a pretentious art film, so I'm not so sure about that one.

TONGO 04-12-16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1494066)
I don't know anything about Altered States, but The Cell seems to be frequently cited as a go-to example of a pretentious art film, so I'm not so sure about that one.
Id be shocked if you didnt like either. At least I know youd appreciate the artistry of the effects. Though Altered States is over 30 years old and looks it, the acting and storytelling would sustain it today, imo. The Cell is great for visuals, but average for the rest. Nah its not an art film, the story was standard. Anyway if you ever come across them I think youd like em'

Miss Vicky 04-12-16 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1494056)
Give Magnolia (lots of interesting characters) and Annie Hall (best movie on relationships) a chance..
I hate Paul Thomas Anderson.

I liked Blue Jasmine and Irrational Man, but I'm not sure Woody Allen movies are really for me.

Redwell 04-12-16 02:56 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/zLXBAnyOqmTHa/giphy.gif
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1494072)

The Gunslinger45 04-12-16 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1494072)

I liked Blue Jasmine and Irrational Man, but I'm not sure Woody Allen movies are really for me.
I watched Quills because it is Miss Vicky's favorite movie. It was pretty damn good.

Omnizoa 04-12-16 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1494069)
Id be shocked if you didnt like either. At least I know youd appreciate the artistry of the effects. Though Altered States is over 30 years old and looks it, the acting and storytelling would sustain it today, imo. The Cell is great for visuals, but average for the rest. Nah its not an art film, the story was standard. Anyway if you ever come across them I think youd like em'
Huh. What about my favorites makes you think that?

Tugg 04-12-16 03:17 PM

Teeter's "Thor" is one of my favorites. I like "BvS" & "Seven". I'm not a fan of "Man of Steel" purely because of inherent characteristics of Superman. I haven't seen the other three.

Redwell's top 10 consists of movies I haven't seen.

Honeykids's top 10 isn't very familiar to me. I did like "Gone with the Wind" when I watched it a decade ago.

Miss Vicky gets thumbs up for "Gladiator", "The Big Lebowski" & "Ratatouile", which is one of my very favorite animations. "Up" is not my cup of tea, because of tedious chases in the second half of the movie and sentimentality. I did not like "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" when I watched it after release, but I would hold hope to change my mind if I was to rewatch it. I have not seen the other five.

Your top 10 is the most solid top 10 so far. I like all movies, even the overrared "Pulp Fiction". and two movies I haven't seen: "Citizen Cane" & "Dr. Strangelove", I would expect to like.

Omnizoa's "Inception" & "The Dark Knight" are two of my favorites. I'm not a fan of "Aliens" because aliens took out earth's most elite military squad with ease, but one female scientist took out a squad of aliens. I haven't seen the others.

Vinkevin's #1 "Mulholland Drive" is also my #1. The ending of "Memento" makes it worth a watch. I would like to see "Persona", but I pretty much have no interest in the rest.

Tugg 04-12-16 03:25 PM

I have changed my list to real top 10, you are welcome to critique.
  1. Mulholland Drive (2001)
  2. The Fifth Element (1997)
  3. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
  4. Twelve Monkeys (1995)
  5. Snowpiercer (2013)
  6. Tropic Thunder (2008)
  7. Chicago (2002)
  8. Hot Fuzz (2007)
  9. Thelma & Louise (1991)
  10. True Romance (1993)

SeeingisBelieving 04-12-16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 1494247)
The Fifth Element (1997)
I watched The Fifth Element again recently – brilliant film. It's a feast for the eyes and wasn't Milla Jovovich excellent? You really believe that's an alien in human form.

honeykid 04-12-16 04:46 PM

I liked Chicago. I saw it twice back when it came out, but I've not seen it since. Similarly with Twelve Monkeys and Thelma & Louise I saw them two or three times in the year or two around their release, but not since. I didn't like Tropic Thunder, but I wasn't expecting to. I thought I'd really like The Fifth Element, but I didn't. At all. The strangest one is True Romance, which I used to love and have seen many, many times, but the last time I watched it I turned it off before Drexler turned up. It was annoying me and the thought of having to put up with Drexler was enough for me to abort without looking back.

I've not seen any of the others.

honeykid 04-12-16 04:52 PM

Sorry, SIB, I forgot you were the next one. :o

I used to really dislike Alien, but the last couple of times I've seen it I've liked it more. I still don't like it, but I like it more than I did. I'd probably have it about
+ atm.

I saw The Adventures of Baron Munchausen when it was released on video over here. I only saw it the once but I hated it. I thought it was boring except when it was being stupid and, when it was stupid, I hated it. Uma, though.... The 15 year old HK like that bit..... A lot.

SeeingisBelieving 04-12-16 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1494315)
Sorry, SIB, I forgot you were the next one. :o
It's alright, you've got to get in there quick haven't you:D.

I used to really dislike Alien, but the last couple of times I've seen it I've liked it more. I still don't like it, but I like it more than I did. I'd probably have it about
+ atm.
Yeah, a few people aren't keen – can you pin down why you disliked it?

I saw The Adventures of Baron Munchausen when it was released on video over here. I only saw it the once but I hated it. I thought it was boring except when it was being stupid and, when it was stupid, I hated it. Uma, though.... The 15 year old HK like that bit..... A lot.
Yeah she was gorgeous:).

I'm sure the humour isn't for everyone, a bit like Monty Python;). Terry Gilliam has a habit of creating a device to get into the fantasy – apparently his Don Quixote film originally involved Johnny Depp as some kind of executive who ended up in the story. I can't think of anything worse, and the town in Adventures has a similar knack of getting in the way. That's why I prefer the German film now – even though it uses a narrative device of its own. My favourite bit in Adventures is the flashback to the Baron making off with the Sultan's treasure, which is about as cinematic as you can get really.

SeeingisBelieving 04-12-16 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1494309)
I liked Chicago. I saw it twice back when it came out, but I've not seen it since. Similarly with Twelve Monkeys and Thelma & Louise I saw them two or three times in the year or two around their release, but not since. I didn't like Tropic Thunder, but I wasn't expecting to. I thought I'd really like The Fifth Element, but I didn't. At all. The strangest one is True Romance, which I used to love and have seen many, many times, but the last time I watched it I turned it off before Drexler turned up. It was annoying me and the thought of having to put up with Drexler was enough for me to abort without looking back.

I've not seen any of the others.
Weird I suppose, even as a lapsed Terry Gilliam fan, but I've never seen Twelve Monkeys, only parts of it.

Interview with the Vampire's good, I liked that very much. And Stephen Rea's in it which is always a plus.

Guaporense 04-12-16 05:43 PM

His top 10 is the same since I joined thd forum in 2012:

Jaws - Good movie, very entertaining prototype of the modern blockbuster.
Gone with the Wind - Never watched it but my grandmother loves it.
Charlie's Angels - Watched it back in 2000, don't remember much of it other than being a typical forgettable movie experience.
The Straight Story - Surprisingly excellent I watched it back in 2014.
Taxi Driver - A conservative choice here, a true introspective classic of youth American social alienation.
Goodfellas - Well made but it idolizes petty crime. I would rather have a movie that idolizes the Nazi doctor Mengele or something really hardcore, petty crime is just lame and I don't understand the fascination American culture has with petty criminals.
Death Race 2000 - I am interested in watching it.
Enter the Dragon - Masterpiece of action pornography.
Man Bites Dog - Never heard of it.
Interview with the Vampire - A cool Hollywood blockbuster, was more memorable than Charlie's Angels.

honeykid 04-12-16 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1494336)
Yeah, a few people aren't keen – can you pin down why you disliked it?
I just found it quite boring. That, and I really don't/didn't like Sigourney Weaver back then. She's less annoying as she gets older, but I'm still not a fan.

It is odd, as I'm a big fan of slasher films and this is one in all but name, but I was just bored. I always liked it more than Aliens, though. Even when I really didn't like it, I liked it more than Aliens. I hate that film. The third one was my favourite.

SeeingisBelieving 04-12-16 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1494344)
I just found it quite boring. That, and I really don't/didn't like Sigourney Weaver back then. She's less annoying as she gets older, but I'm still not a fan.
Yeah I suppose I thought the same the first time round – an hour to really get going. Now that doesn't register for me:p.

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1494344)
It is odd, as I'm a big fan of slasher films and this is one in all but name, but I was just bored. I always liked it more than Aliens, though. Even when I really didn't like it, I liked it more than Aliens. I hate that film. The third one was my favourite.
That's interesting – I like Alien 3 as well but it's heavy going. There's a great episode of the interview programme Living the Life where, during their conversation together, Charles Dance and Paul McGann talk a bit about filming it.

I like Aliens as well, especially Lance Henriksen. Actually when I saw some of it again recently I found Sigourney Weaver pretty unconvincing in places, which was a big shock.

honeykid 04-12-16 06:04 PM

As bad as she is, she's not as bad as that bloody kid.

Camo 04-12-16 06:08 PM

Well made but it idolizes petty crime. I would rather have a movie that idolizes the Nazi doctor Mengele or something really hardcore, petty crime is just lame and I don't understand the fascination American culture has with petty criminals.
I wouldn't exactly call multi-million dollar heists and multiple murders petty crime.

SeeingisBelieving 04-12-16 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1494353)
As bad as she is, she's not as bad as that bloody kid.
It's funny that Carrie Henn said her friends used to tease her by ending sentences with "mostly":p.

Omnizoa 04-12-16 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tugg
Omnizoa's "Inception" & "The Dark Knight" are two of my favorites. I'm not a fan of "Aliens" because aliens took out earth's most elite military squad with ease, but one female scientist took out a squad of aliens. I haven't seen the others.
*laughs* It took blowing up the whole facility which any one of them could have done, but didn't do because she was the only one not beholden to Weyland Yutani's orders to preserve the site.

Originally Posted by Tugg
I have changed my list to real top 10, you are welcome to critique.
  1. Mulholland Drive (2001)
  2. The Fifth Element (1997)
  3. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
  4. Twelve Monkeys (1995)
  5. Snowpiercer (2013)
  6. Tropic Thunder (2008)
  7. Chicago (2002)
  8. Hot Fuzz (2007)
  9. Thelma & Louise (1991)
  10. True Romance (1993)
Seen 2, 3, 4, and 6, and The Fifth Element definitely wouldn't top that list for me. Extremely resistant to see Mulholland Drive after Eraserhead and Blue Velvet. My favorite in that list would probably be Pan's Labyrinth. Actually, I've probably seen most of Thelma & Louise, but I don't remember it very well.

SeeingisBelieving
Interesting to see Munchausen take up your two top spots. I've only seen the second one and I've been itching to watch it again. Been tempted to see the first as well.

Tugg 04-13-16 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1494699)
Extremely resistant to see Mulholland Drive after Eraserhead and Blue Velvet.
Of the two, it is more similar to "Blue Velvet". But it is more similar to "Lost Highway" or first season of "Twin Peaks". It is a bit similar to "Eyes Wide Shut".

DrSoup007 04-13-16 12:41 AM

HIT ME!

10. Napoleon Dynamite directed by Jared Hess -
I'll never not love this movie, for real. Every time I watch it I cry with laughter, I get this stupid looking grin on my face, and quote along with every memorable word of dialogue it throws at me. It is an alltime favorite.
9. Nightcrawler directed by Dan Gilroy -
On the ground of cinematography alone the film is phenomenal, but combined with the amazing acting, gritty visuals, and a morbidly gripping story, this movie never fails to have you on the edge of your seat, waiting for the next moment of fear. Jake Gyllenhaal has now cemented himself as one of the best actors I have ever seen, becoming this uncomfortable and emotionless character, but still making him compelling to watch. I could not be more pleased and I cannot convey my love of this movie in words.
8. The Lego Movie directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller -
I paid good money for this movie, and I've watched it at least 5 times. And every time I find something new to enjoy about it. Visually it's astounding, the voice acting is great, the jokes fit the bill for every viewers age, and it's a very intelligent and thought provoking story. And it's fun.
7. The Thing directed by John Carpenter -
This instantly became one of my favorite horror movies, and probably one of my favorites of all time. The Thing has the most perfect execution of terror and bone chilling ambiance, using Ennio Morricone's heartpouding rhythmic beats to drive this constant feeling of dread into you. I had to look up his name, but Rob Bottin, is the heart and soul of this film. His breathtakingly horrific practical effects are so disgusting and beautiful it honestly makes the movie as perfect as it is.
6. Dead Man Walking directed by Tim Robbins -
This, this is what a religious movie should be. Not hamfisted, not overtly against outside culture, it should be real, gritty, and not shying away from the darkness of life. Words cannot quite express my feelings about this movie, I call it brilliant in the lightest sense. The editing visuals were perfectly done, don't even get me started on the beauty of the acting, and the great dialogue writing, only add on to the list of things this film does right.
5. Stand By Me directed by Rob Reiner -
This film is practically timeless, and I say that after having seen it only once. Seldom a film with child acting that doesn't leave me annoyed, and this movie gave performances better than certain adult actors. The story was very tightly paced, beautifully written, and a classic by every means. I love this film, no other way to say it.
4. The Breakfast Club directed by John Hughes -
I don't know at what moment it just clicked for me, but the compelling weirdness of all the characters became one of the most charming aspects. Every actor brought a performance almost essential to the characters, and I don't think without them I would've loved it as much. I could watch this over and over, and I think I would get more out of it. It's been a while since I've been this in love with a movie.
3. 12 Angry Men directed by Sidney Lumet -
Filled with very good performances in a well contained story, making you question every single idea that forms itself into the plot. Showing it's age, but even in today it has compelling idea, well written themes of stereotyping, and a realistic darkness.
2. Mad Max: Fury Road directed by George Miller -
I preordered this movie, and got a free digital copy. First thing I did was stream it to the TV. This film is a masterpiece of action cinema. The visuals are stunning, the story is simplistically brilliant, and the characters are gripping in their subtle ways. This is definitely one of the best films ever made, it's perfect.
1. Children of Men directed by Alfonso Cuarón -
A visual masterpiece of film so well written and filmed that it goes right in every way, there was never a dull moment. The cinematography is gorgeous in every way and helps the story have a real and earthly feel that makes me question whether or not this could actually happen. One of the most real and gripping dystopian movies I have ever seen.

Tugg 04-13-16 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by DrSoup007 (Post 1494737)
10. Napoleon Dynamite
9. Nightcrawler
8. The Lego Movie
7. The Thing
6. Dead Man Walking
5. Stand By Me
4. The Breakfast Club
3. 12 Angry Men
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
1. Children of Men
Your top 10 is solid. I haven't seen "Napoleon Dynamite", the rest I like to greater or lesser extent.

TheMaster 04-13-16 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 1494739)
Your top 10 is solid. I haven't seen "Napoleon Dynamite", the rest I like to greater or lesser extent.
:eek: