Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Song Tournament # 8 The Mega Tournament (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=36512)

Godoggo 07-11-14 11:37 PM

Song Tournament # 8 The Mega Tournament

You asked for it and you got it. Crazy people. Let me know if your in.

Rules

1. This is a 256 song tournament. You are probably going to have a lot of nominations. If you don't want that many try to find a buddy to split them with.

2. I had a lot of problem with links last time. Sometimes they will take you to the song, but when I copy and paste them to Random.org they split or no longer will go to YouTube. I hate to be a big meanie, but with a tournament this big, I'll be testing your links and asking you to redo them if they don't work. It would take me forever to convert everyone's links myself.

3. If someone wants to vote that didn't nominate they are welcome to do so, but they must vote in every match and after a certain amount of rounds only people who have been continuously voting may still vote. After, I announce a tie any person who hasn't voted may vote to break it, but let me handle it. That way no one will step on anyone's toes and no one will argue.

4. Please don't post any nominations until I say it's ok to. I'd like to be online so I can keep up and make sure there aren't any duplicates.

5. This time one nomination must be a dedication to a fellow MoFo. One nomination must come from the year you were born and another 10 years after you were born. One more nomination should have been released 2010 or after. Please mark these nominations. Example: Turning Japanese - The Vapors (Mofo song dedication Guaporense)

jiraffejustin 07-11-14 11:39 PM

Re: Song Tournament # 8 The Mega Tournament

Inny

Swan 07-11-14 11:41 PM

In.

The Gunslinger45 07-11-14 11:42 PM

In

Godoggo 07-11-14 11:43 PM

I hope we get at least 13 again.

Swan 07-11-14 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Godoggo (Post 1122185)
5. This time one nomination must be a dedication to a fellow MoFo. One nomination must come from the year you were born and another 10 years after you were born. One more nomination should have been released 2010 or after. Please mark these nominations. Example: Turning Japanese - The Vapors (Mofo song dedication Guaporense)
Got these all figured out.

rauldc14 07-12-14 12:01 AM

I was hoping we wouldn't have one for awhile. But of course I'm in

Miss Vicky 07-12-14 12:03 AM

in

cricket 07-12-14 12:06 AM

I'm in. Are we shooting for 16 members with 16 nominations each? Also, when the time comes, can I post my nominations, and then work on the links? And then edit the post?

jiraffejustin 07-12-14 12:24 AM

TIL that Geto Boys' Mind Playing Tricks on Me came out the same year I was born, so I have one nomination figured out.

Miss Vicky 07-12-14 12:27 AM

I'm debating on doing something really obnoxious with my nominations. :D

rauldc14 07-12-14 12:54 AM

I know that I can have a list in the next couple o days. I may not have time to URL them properly for awhile though. #worktoomuch #tiredman

rauldc14 07-12-14 12:55 AM

In fact I've already got most of my songs in mind

Godoggo 07-12-14 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1122207)
I'm in. Are we shooting for 16 members with 16 nominations each? Also, when the time comes, can I post my nominations, and then work on the links? And then edit the post?
Yep.

I'm not sure we can get 16 people. Hopefully, but we may end up with over 20 noms a piece.

rauldc14 07-12-14 01:06 AM

Can we please make sure the right songs make it the furthest this time :p

cricket 07-12-14 01:08 AM

The 13 from this tournament plus Jiraffe, Christine, and gbgoodies-perfecto

jiraffejustin 07-12-14 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1122254)
Can we please make sure the right songs make it the furthest this time :p
No. That never happens.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 01:39 AM

I'll see how I feel tomorrow about deciding if I wanna do this. I love the idea, but I feel overwhelmed by so much right now. I'm doing the Asian Song Tournament and finishing up Sweatin' to the Oldies. I have to finish my "Mother of The Godfather" list and then there's commentaries, especially the "Sex and the City" commentaries. Good Lord. Too much and I'm starting to feel the tax.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 01:40 AM

Just vote for my Animals song tomorrow in "Song Tournament 7" and I'll be satisfied. Thank you.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 01:51 AM

You guys should BAN me from participating in things because I'm practically addicted to joining up with everything and I really shouldn't. It's all too stressful. Just like with Survivor. I joined it but I don't really want to play it. I should be eliminated first. I can't handle another Survivor game right now. It's too much!

gbgoodies 07-12-14 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1122258)
The 13 from this tournament plus Jiraffe, Christine, and gbgoodies-perfecto

I was thinking about joining this, but I read the rules, and it sounds like I have to come up with 16 songs that other people will vote for. I primarily listen to country music and showtunes, so I'm not sure if I know that many songs that you will all know, (or like).

Does anyone else here listen to country music, or should I stay away from country and try to find some more mainstream stuff?

My song choices on the other song thread were some of the oldies that I really like, but as you can see, most of my choices were voted out pretty quickly. :shrug:

cricket 07-12-14 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1122295)
I was thinking about joining this, but I read the rules, and it sounds like I have to come up with 16 songs that other people will vote for. I primarily listen to country music and showtunes, so I'm not sure if I know that many songs that you will all know, (or like).

Does anyone else here listen to country music, or should I stay away from country and try to find some more mainstream stuff?

My song choices on the other song thread were some of the oldies that I really like, but as you can see, most of my choices were voted out pretty quickly. :shrug:
It doesn't matter, it's all for fun

Godoggo 07-12-14 02:50 AM

I'm only one other person, but I really like showtunes. As far as country, it depends. I don't like new mainstream stuff, but there is a ton of country out there I do like. I like Cash, Nelson, Parton, Twitty, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, stuff around that era.

As for current stuff, I love William Elliot Whitmore.

I really don't know how either of those genres will fair, but my music usually doesn't do that well. I have fun anyway.

gbgoodies 07-12-14 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1122304)
It doesn't matter, it's all for fun

I know, and I'm enjoying the "Sweatin' to the Oldies" Tournament. :)

I lasted longer than I thought I would, but it looks like this round is the end for me. :shrug:

Miss Vicky 07-12-14 02:52 AM

If you want to participate, sign up gbgoodies.

Like Cricket said, it's just for fun. Some people take it really seriously and pick their nominations based on what they think will win. Others just choose what they like to listen to. It's a good way for everybody to get exposure to music outside their comfort zones. Songs that are too far outside of the familiar don't tend to do as well, but it's still fun to see how people react.

gbgoodies 07-12-14 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Godoggo (Post 1122305)
I'm only one other person, but I really like showtunes. As far as country, it depends. I don't like new mainstream stuff, but there is a ton of country out there I do like. I like Cash, Nelson, Parton, Twitty, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, stuff around that era.

As for current stuff, I love William Elliot Whitmore.

I really don't know how either of those genres will fair, but my music usually doesn't do that well. I have fun anyway.

I love old classic country. That's when music was really music. Everything from Hank Sr., Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves, etc. to Don Williams, Kenny Rogers, and up through about the mid-1980s with George Strait, Ricky Van Shelton, Wade Hayes, etc.

A lot of the new country stuff is closer to rock than to country, but there are a few current singers I like, like Blake Shelton and Brad Paisley.

gbgoodies 07-12-14 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1122307)
If you want to participate, sign up gbgoodies.

Like Cricket said, it's just for fun. Some people take it really seriously and pick their nominations based on what they think will win. Others just choose what they like to listen to. It's a good way for everybody to get exposure to music outside their comfort zones. Songs that are too far outside of the familiar don't tend to do as well, but it's still fun to see how people react.

Okay, I'm in. I'll try to keep my song choices mainstream, but with 16 songs, I don't know if I can, so you've all been warned.

I didn't see any specific genres in the rules. Did I miss them, or is any genre okay?

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 03:09 AM

Alright, fine. I'll do it.

gbgoodies 07-12-14 03:10 AM

Oh yeah, and when does it start?

cricket 07-12-14 03:13 AM

Any type of song is good and you can probably submit your choices tomorrow. You just have to check this thread to see if Godoggo has given the go ahead.

Pussy Galore 07-12-14 03:15 AM

I'm in.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 03:17 AM

I'm going to start nominating my songs based on the categories Godoggo gave. I'll do that in this post.

Or, maybe not.

gbgoodies 07-12-14 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1122314)
Any type of song is good and you can probably submit your choices tomorrow. You just have to check this thread to see if Godoggo has given the go ahead.

Thanks for the info.

cricket 07-12-14 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1122316)
I'm going to start nominating my songs based on the categories Godoggo gave. I'll do that in this post.

Sexy Celebrity's Nominations
Think she said to wait until she gives the go ahead

cricket 07-12-14 03:23 AM

Yea, rule #4

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 03:27 AM

Ugh.

Derek Vinyard 07-12-14 03:58 AM

I'm in no doubt !

and i'm ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8AiWu4P198

Captain Spaulding 07-12-14 05:17 AM

I wish we would take a 2-3 week break before doing yet another song tournament, but they are fun and addicting, so I'll join this one as well.

It's possible that I won't be able to get online for a few days next week, so depending on how early this tournament starts (preferably later in the week), I might miss a few votes early on. Or I might not. Just in case, though, it'd be best if I could submit my nominations before the end of the weekend (and the sooner the better).

Captain Spaulding 07-12-14 05:23 AM

When you say a nomination has to be 10 years after we were born, does that mean, like, exactly ten years? For instance, I was born in 1987, so does that mean I'll have to nominate a song from 1997? Or can it be anytime after that 10 years, like 2001 or 2004 or any other year?

Also, when you say we have to nominate a song from the year we were born, are you going by the release date of the album or the release date of the single? Appetite for Destruction came out in 1987, but "Paradise City" wasn't released as a single until the following year. If possible, though, I'd like for that song to be my birth-year nomination. (And since a lot of songs aren't released as singles, I guess you have to go by the album date anyway.)

The Sci-Fi Slob 07-12-14 06:16 AM

I'm in.

christine 07-12-14 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1122295)

:
I love country music. I'm not well up on recent stuff but was brought up listening to Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Jimmy Rodgers, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline etc

Oh yes, I'm in too

teeter_g 07-12-14 10:03 AM

IN!!!

Thursday Next 07-12-14 10:35 AM

I'm in.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 01:14 PM

Okay, I'm dropping out of this, too. 256 songs is just too much. Sounds good, but it'll probably take a year to finish. And please don't plead, "You've gotta be a part of this, Sexy!" No, I do not.

Swan 07-12-14 01:15 PM

You've gotta be a part of this, Sexy!

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 01:19 PM

No, I do not.

That's my new chant. No, I do not. No, I do not. No, I do not. No, I do not. No, I do not. No, I do not. No, I do not. No, I do not. No, I do not.

honeykid 07-12-14 01:28 PM

Of course I'm in. The chance to become incredibly annoyed when you all make yet another appalling musical choice? How could I bitch and moan about it without having a couple of dogs in the race. :D

Miss Vicky 07-12-14 01:30 PM

I hope we're starting this soon. I just realized that my brother's wedding is coming up fast. I'll be out of state the week of August 10th. Not sure how much computer access I'll have.

rauldc14 07-12-14 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1122429)
Okay, I'm dropping out of this, too. 256 songs is just too much. Sounds good, but it'll probably take a year to finish. And please don't plead, "You've gotta be a part of this, Sexy!" No, I do not.
Out then! Be gone! Ban yourself!

rauldc14 07-12-14 01:44 PM

I was hesitant about this tourney, but with 16 nominations this could be very fun.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 01:46 PM

16 nominations isn't anything new. 50 nominations a person and then I'll feel a difference.

Godoggo 07-12-14 01:52 PM

I had to be somewhere this morning and haven't had time to even look at this thread, but I'll take Cricket's word that it's 16 people which is a great number. People can start posting nominations. I probably won't get to mine until tonight.

cricket 07-12-14 01:57 PM

I don't know if I have a lot of contenders; I just wanted to mix it up and have fun-

The Martian Hop-The Ran-Dells (dedication to Sci-Fi Slob)

Bleachers-I Wanna Get Better (post 2010 song]

The Bee Gees-How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (birth year song)

REO Speedwagon-Take it on the Run (10 years after birth song)

Bob Marley-No Woman No Cry

The Cranberries-Zombie

The Kinks-Lola

Leonard Cohen-Everybody Knows

The Geto Boys-Scarface

The Jim Carroll Band-People Who Died

Nazareth-Hair of the Dog

Men at Work-A Land Down Under

Three Dog Night-Mama Told Me Not to Come

Gordon Lightfoot-Sundown

The Cult-Fire Woman

Black Sabbath-War Pigs

The Gunslinger45 07-12-14 02:39 PM

(Birth Year Song) Eurythmics - Would I lie to you?

(Dedication: Miss Vicky) Elton John - The Bitch is Back

(1995 Song) KMFDM - Juke Joint Jezebel

(Post 2010) Bruno Mars - Grenade

KISS - I was made for loving you

Huey Lewis and the News - Hip to be square

Huey Lewis and the News - The Power of Love

Aerosmith - The Other Side

Journey - Separate Ways

Lesley Gore - It's My Party

The Crystals - Then He Kissed Me

The Temptations - My Girl

Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Right Round (Like a Record)

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons - Walk Like a Man

The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian

Gama Bomb - Zombie Blood Nightmare

Swan 07-12-14 02:48 PM

Kendrick Lamar – Swimming Pools (Drank) (Dedicated to The Sci-Fi Slob)
Aphex Twin – Xtal (birth year song – 1992)
Beck – Lost Cause (10 years after birth year – 2002)
Chvrches – The Mother We Share (2010 or after)
Spoon – I Summon You
Propellerheads – Velvet Pants
William Shatner – You’ll Have Time
Klaatu – Around the Universe in 80 Days
Of Montreal - Oslo in the Summertime
Grimes – Oblivion
Tom Waits – I Don’t Wanna Grow Up
Nick Drake – Man in the Shed
Yelle - A Cause Des Garcons
Regina Spektor – Poor Little Rich Boy
Spirit – Fresh Garbage
Sixpence None the Richer - Kiss Me

cricket 07-12-14 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1122491)
That was on my list of candidates

cricket 07-12-14 02:51 PM

I don't know any of those songs, at least by name. Look forward to hearing them:)

Swan 07-12-14 03:03 PM

You haven't heard any Nick Drake or Spirit? Listen to those songs immediately, Cricket.

Also listen to the Klaatu song.

jiraffejustin 07-12-14 03:15 PM

Will add links

(birthyear, 1991) - Geto Boys - Mind Playing Tricks on Me
(2001) - Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head
(2010s) - Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - Shitsville
(dedicated to honeykid) - Dead Kennedys - I Kill Children (:p)

I'll add the rest later

Derek Vinyard 07-12-14 04:27 PM

My nominations :
Avenged Sevenfold - Sheperd Of Fire (2010 of After)
Paul McCartney and The Wings - Band On The Run (Dedicated to Pussy Galore)
Coolio - Gangster's Paradise (My Birthday year : 1995)
Bon Jovi - Have A Nice Day (10 years after my Birthday so 2005)
Pink Floyd - High Hopes
The Police - Every Breath You Take
Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
The Beatles - Hey Jude
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me
Kansas - Carry On Wayward son
Toto - Hold The Line
Eminem - When I'm gone
The Doors - People Are Strange
Queen - We Will Rock You
Aerosmith - I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing
Oasis - Wonderwall

cricket 07-12-14 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1122547)
That's one of my ringtones; Gimme Shelter is the other.

A few awesome, huge hits in there

Captain Spaulding 07-12-14 05:16 PM

Guns N' Roses - Paradise City (birth year)

Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy (ten years after)

The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow (post 2010)

Danzig - Mother (dedicated to Sexy Mommy)

Chris Isaak - Baby Did a Bad, Bad Thing

Billy Squier - The Stroke

Bob Dylan - Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightnin'

Rebekah Del Rio - Llorando

Queen - Somebody to Love

Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell

Ryan Bingham - The Weary Kind

The Kinks - I'm Not Like Everybody Else (live version)

Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come

War - Low Rider

The Turtles - Happy Together

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 05:17 PM

How many people signed up so far? Do you have 16?

honeykid 07-12-14 05:23 PM

You forgot to mark out your 4 special nominations, Derek. :)

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 05:28 PM

I'm feeling in the mood to rejoin again!!

There is a space for me still, isn't there?

honeykid 07-12-14 05:30 PM

Of course you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjndS3cwLFM

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 05:34 PM

Wait! Without me, I just counted 17 people:

jiraffe
swan
gunslinger
godoggo
swan
rauldc14
miss vicky
cricket
gbgoodies
pussy galore
derek vinyard
captain spaulding
the sci-fi slob
christine
teeter g
thursday next
honeykid

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 05:37 PM

I don't need to be in. I have the Asians.

Swan 07-12-14 05:38 PM

You counted me twice, Sexy.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 05:38 PM

Oh, dear. I did. Well, that still makes 16.

cricket 07-12-14 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1122618)
Wait! Without me, I just counted 17 people:

jiraffe
swan
gunslinger
godoggo
swan
rauldc14
miss vicky
cricket
gbgoodies
pussy galore
derek vinyard
captain spaulding
the sci-fi slob
christine
teeter g
thursday next
honeykid
You counted Swan twice

cricket 07-12-14 05:41 PM

Maybe can add more people and total songs?

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 05:42 PM

No... that's a good number. Carry on. I have Asians to deal with and I'd probably just win another Song Tournament anyway.

Derek Vinyard 07-12-14 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1122604)
You forgot to mark out your 4 special nominations, Derek. :)
Edit !

cricket 07-12-14 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1122626)
I have Asians to deal with
I still don't know what to make of that

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 05:47 PM

The Asian Song Tournament.

Go vote in it. I need more votes.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 05:47 PM

It's pretty good music, actually. Now that Sweatin' is basically done, I'm going to put all of my focus on that.

christine 07-12-14 06:01 PM

mixing it up a bit

Love Me Tender (birth year song)

Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks (10 years after birth year song)

My Perfect Cousin - The Undertones dedicated to Tacitus who made me a mofo! and he'd probably beat me at Subuteo!

Someone Like You - Adele post 2010 song

Space Lord - Monster Magnet reminds me of mixtapes we had in the car when our kids were young teenagers

Hurt - Johnny Cash this one moves me to tears every time I hear it. Reminds me of how lost he was without June, but how he had that amazing second career with Rick Ruben

Stay With Me Baby - Lorraine Ellison my favourite song of all time. The emotion!

16 Tons - Tennessee Ernie Ford for all the manual workers out there

Tired of Being Alone - Al Green loved this soul funk music since I was really young

Stuck in the Middle with You - Stealers Wheel the first record I bought with my first proper pay packet

Help Me Make it through the Night - Gladys Knight and the Pips that's for me mam

Dancin in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen I love him

Paperback Writer - The Beatles reminds me of young love .....

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix best Dylan cover ever, better than him even

Bernadette - the Four Tops Loved Motown music since the beginning. I could've had 16 just Motown songs

Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash great song great album

phew that was bloody hard narrowing it down to only 16!

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 06:03 PM

"Stuck in the Middle with You" won't get you far. I already tried it out.

christine 07-12-14 06:04 PM

bah! I'll change it now

christine 07-12-14 06:05 PM

oh you mean you had it somewhere else? ok I'm keeping it cos I love it

rauldc14 07-12-14 06:05 PM

I won't have mine until tomorrow. If someone can make a master list that would be great.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 06:05 PM

I also nominated "16 Tons" the same time I nominated "Stuck in the Middle with You" which was for Song Tournament 6.

"16 Tons" fared better than Stealers Wheel, but ultimately it went to the junkyard, too.

christine 07-12-14 06:08 PM

oh well. Gotta go with your heart :)

honeykid 07-12-14 06:16 PM

Don't worry about it, Christine. It's all to do with what the song's paired with. I've had Hotel California before and it went out round 1. I think Derek got to the quarter finals with it a week or so ago.

Derek Vinyard 07-12-14 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1122661)
Don't worry about it, Christine. It's all to do with what the song's paired with. I've had Hotel California before and it went out round 1. I think Derek got to the quarter finals with it a week or so ago.
Hotel California Rock !

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 06:23 PM

Oooh, Derek is the new threat to these games.

jiraffejustin 07-12-14 06:33 PM

You can take my place Sexy.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1122669)
You can take my place Sexy.
No, no, no, no, no. I don't wanna take anyone's place. Seriously.

honeykid 07-12-14 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1122664)
Hotel California Rock !
Yep. It's a great song.

jiraffejustin 07-12-14 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1122670)
No, no, no, no, no. I don't wanna take anyone's place. Seriously.
I kind of don't want to do it anymore, and if you accept my place I can get out of it without feeling guilty.

Swan 07-12-14 06:43 PM

You know you want to, Sexy.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 06:44 PM

*sigh*

I want to, but I'll feel bad about taking Jiraffe's spot. But if I don't, someone else might.

Alright. Fine. I'll be posting noms in a second.

jiraffejustin 07-12-14 06:45 PM

Thank you, Sexy.

honeykid 07-12-14 06:46 PM

Dammit. JJ was the only person who'd nominated a song for me.; I wanted to know why. :D

rauldc14 07-12-14 06:48 PM

Here's some of my nominations. More later

ACDC- TNT
Van Morrison- Brown Eyed Girl
Adam Sandler- Grow Old With You
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Charlie
Wings- Live and Let Die
Incubus- Stellar

More later

Swan 07-12-14 06:49 PM

I like Incubus, raul.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 06:50 PM

Oh, "Brown Eyed Girl." I almost nominated that for 7.

Sexy Celebrity 07-12-14 06:51 PM

Did anyone nominate a song for me? I know my mother got a nomination.

Swan 07-12-14 06:53 PM

You already know the song I dedicate to you, Sexy.