Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would you consider Jaws a little too slow? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64617)

KeyserCorleone 08-20-21 01:24 PM

I know that a lot of people on MoFo love Jaws, and I won't ever consider it a bad movie. All 4 Jaws movies are on Tubi right now so I'm taking advantage of that.

Now I'm pretty picky with the concept of "perfection." I believe perfection is possible based on what the film is trying to accomplish, and what it sacrifices to succeed. And it's kinda rare for any director to do more than one perfect movie based on my criteria. Spielberg's already got three: Raiders, Jurassic Park, and Schindler's List in that order.

I've only seen Jaws once years ago. At the time I felt it was just a LITTLE too slow, which detracted from the overall horror a bit. Watching it again, I remember what I liked about it so much: its serious fixation on story. But overall, does anyone feel that two hours is a little long? Depending on what we discuss, I may reconsider my rating for Jaws, seeing whether or not Spielberg's got another flawless movie.

P.S.: Please don't use this opportunity to discuss any other aforementioned Spielberg movies.

P.P.S.: I like some slow movies, like Satantango, which is better than Jaws. And I adore Solaris. This isn't complaining about slowness in general.

Flicker 08-20-21 01:27 PM

Re: Would you consider Jaws a little too slow?

No. Its pace, especially in contrast with sequels and later films of the genre is more or less created, is what I love with this movie. It's one of these movies that I appreciate more with each viewing.

Torgo 08-20-21 01:34 PM

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but it's slow in the parts that I wish were slower in more movies these days, specifically in the ones that develop the characters and their relationships. The last time I watched it, when the family dinner scene ended - the one where Brody drinks a tall glass of wine, he asks his son to kiss him, etc. - I said out loud that I was impressed with how well the scene takes its time and is willing to risk boring the audience. If Jaws were made today, the scene would likely have a lot of quick cuts on the assumption that the audience would probably whip out their cell phones during it.

John Dumbear 08-20-21 01:49 PM

Never once thought it was slow.

AgrippinaX 08-20-21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2231770)
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but it's slow in the parts that I wish were slower in more movies these days, specifically in the ones that develop the characters and their relationships. The last time I watched it, when the family dinner scene ended - the one where Brody drinks a tall glass of wine, he asks his son to kiss him, etc. - I said out loud that I was impressed with how well the scene takes its time and is willing to risk boring the audience. If Jaws were made today, the scene would likely have a lot of quick cuts on the assumption that the audience would probably whip out their cell phones during it.
Very true. I cherish that stuff.

Flicker 08-20-21 01:53 PM

The scene where Brody realizes his son is mimicking him is one of my two favorite scenes in that movie. The other one being the Indianapolis narration (which would be a gory CGI fast cuts flashback if done today, for the reasons you mentioned).

Citizen Rules 08-20-21 01:54 PM

Would you consider Jaws a little too slow?

Nope. But I would consider modern audiences who haven't seen older movies spoiled by fast edit, music video influenced action films.

Sedai 08-20-21 01:54 PM

Perfectly paced!

Yoda 08-20-21 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)

crumbsroom 08-20-21 01:59 PM

No. The movie is more about Brody's family, and the community, than it is about the shark. The shark is menacing these things, it is not our focal point. Turning the focus of the movie towards it anymore would make it a movie much less worth even remembering.

As Torgo mentioned, more films need to take heed of this lesson they can learn from Jaws. In fact, it's a shame that so many filmmakers seem not to understand this basic principal. Just like most quality musicians or painters, one of the most important elements to keep in mind is the use of negative space or silence. It is no different in film. Nothing matters if everything matters.

mark f 08-20-21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2231786)
Thanks. No comment.

SpelingError 08-20-21 02:14 PM

Jaws isn't solely about the shark. It's also about the characters, how the shark effects them both directly and indirectly, and causes conflict amongst the community. I rewatched Jaws a couple months ago and found myself impressed by these quiet moments which may seem insignificant on the outside, but actually add a whole lot to the film. Brody, his family, Hooper, Quint, and even the mayor are all memorable characters in my eyes. This is one of the reasons why no other shark movies have managed to capture the greatness of Jaws. They're more concerned with cutting out the slower bits and hurrying along to the shark scenes to prevent their audiences from growing bored or impatient.

Also, this is one of the greatest monologues of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO60RohuARY

KeyserCorleone 08-20-21 02:14 PM

Ture, but sometimes they draw it out. I kinda got the message that Vaught was a greedy scumbag.

KeyserCorleone 08-20-21 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2231782)
Would you consider Jaws a little too slow?

Nope. But I would consider modern audiences who haven't seen older movies spoiled by fast edit, music video influenced action films.

I don't mind slow movies in general. Personally, I thought Solaris and Satantango were better than Jaws. I just felt that once you really knew what the characters were like, the characterization fell a little short a couple of times.

Citizen Rules 08-20-21 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by KeyserCorleone (Post 2231804)
I don't mind slow movies in general. Personally, I thought Solaris and Satantango were better than Jaws. I just felt that once you really knew what the characters were like, the characterization fell a little short a couple of times.
That's cool, I mean we all view things differently. I hadn't seen Jaws in a decade or more and then watched it again...I was even more impressed with it.

I then watched the other 3 Jaws films and found stuff to like in each of them. No they are not masterpieces like the first one. But one of them contains a point of view shot from the shark's perspective as it cruises the shoreline of the beach looking for victims. I thought that was pretty darn cool.

Oh, Jaws 3D if seen in real 3D would look pretty cool, but seen in 2D the 3D effects looks silly.

Rockatansky 08-20-21 02:42 PM

https://c.tenor.com/ZJHgx467pZ4AAAAd/no-the.gif

Steve Freeling 08-20-21 02:44 PM

Absolutely not.

Mesmerized 08-20-21 02:48 PM

I didn't think it was slow, nor did I think the movie was too long. It was perfect.

ynwtf 08-20-21 02:52 PM

Yes. Shark Week has proven that sharks are much faster than Jaws is depicted. Could be age. Could be bloat, as that shark ate anything. Iderno.

ScarletLion 08-20-21 03:01 PM

No.