Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Overrated Actors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=18142)

LeRollingStone 12-16-08 05:39 AM

Overrated Actors

I don't know whether this has been done or not, I'm newww! Cut me some slack. Haaa.

Okay, so name some actors and actresses, where people are like "OMG soooo gooood!" and you're like, "Ehhh."

:p

Halle Berry
Kira Knightley *Gosh...that same facial expression...just...NO.*
Orlando Bloom
Matthew Mconaughey
Kate Hudson
Nicholas Cage
Harrison Ford
Jim Carey *ugh...just NO...*
George Clooney
Julia Roberts
Angelina Jolie
Meg Ryan
Jude Law
Hugh Grant

...now, I'm not saying that these actors haven't seen their good days, because, most of them HAVE...

but these are the actors that just...don't do anything spectacular, in my opinion.

who's on your list?

oh, and feel free to disagree with whatever you see on my list!

:D

king_of_movies_316 12-16-08 06:41 AM

Re: Overrated Actors

Adam Sandler!

Holden Pike 12-16-08 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by king_of_movies_316 (Post 483502)
Adam Sandler!
YES! He is so overrated! I mean, every single prominent and minor professional critic just raves and raves about his ability as a thespian, and of course all the Oscars he's been nominated for and won over his distinguished career! Ridiculous!

Oh, wait....

Swedish Chef 12-16-08 12:59 PM

Oh, wait, he's also incredibly popular. Isn't it at all conceivable that people are overrating Sandler as an entertainer? I love it when you play sheriff over the arbitrary parameters of threads like this one or that one thread where you were up in arms over what truly constitutes a guilty pleasure or whatever. It's very helpful.

dennis702 01-01-09 07:25 AM

chuck norris

MovieNut 01-01-09 07:35 AM

my list:
Halle Berry
Kate Hudson
Nicholas Cage
Harrison Ford
Jim Carey
Julia Roberts
Angelina Jolie
Hugh Grant (cant stand him!)
Brad Pitt
Tom Cruise (only like him in top gun)

sophie0028 01-01-09 09:59 AM

I dont why people dont like Adam Sandler. I think he is cute and awesome.

rice1245 01-01-09 07:29 PM

=o Harrison Ford? Nothing spectacular?! I knew i shouldn't have come into this thread...

Go away please.

Pyro Tramp 01-02-09 02:10 PM

Ed Norton and John Cusack

Caitlyn 01-02-09 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 488273)
Ed Norton and John Cusack
I can kind of see where you are coming from with Ed Norton but I've never noticed too many people even list John Cusack as a favorite... I love several of his earlier movies but he's made some real stinkers over the years too...

Pyro Tramp 01-02-09 02:58 PM

Oh? I just constantly see Cusack listed as the redeeming factor in most reviews of the stinkers he's in. Though, not being a fan don't follow his career explicitly.

Yoda 01-02-09 03:22 PM

Hard to say whether a particular actor is rated properly. Only the huge stars have any consensus as to their talent, really.

So, that said, whether or not she's rated properly, I think Scarlett Johansson is pretty flippin' mediocroe in the majority of her roles. She is, of course, stunningly purdy, but to quote Paula Poundstone -- "couldn't we just have a picture of her in the corner of the screen?"

igor_is_fugly 01-02-09 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by MovieNut (Post 487834)
my list:
Halle Berry
Kate Hudson
Nicholas Cage
Harrison Ford
Jim Carey
Julia Roberts
Angelina Jolie
Hugh Grant (cant stand him!)
Brad Pitt
Tom Cruise (only like him in top gun)
:eek:

Besides Hugh Grant. Cause...yea...ew.

Used Future 01-02-09 03:40 PM

Not sure you could really call him overrated, but Kevin Costner is approaching Keanu in the wooden stakes if you ask me.

adidasss 01-02-09 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 488299)
Hard to say whether a particular actor is rated properly. Only the huge stars have any consensus as to their talent, really.

So, that said, whether or not she's rated properly, I think Scarlett Johansson is pretty flippin' mediocroe in the majority of her roles. She is, of course, stunningly purdy, but to quote Paula Poundstone -- "couldn't we just have a picture of her in the corner of the screen?"
She's not mediocre, she's a bad actress and brings down pretty much every film she's in, apart from her career maker, Lost in translation. And the only reason she worked in that film is because she didn't have to do much but look pensive and pretty. She has no range to speak of and is incapable of conveying slightly more complex emotions. For the life of me I can't understand why Allen would choose her as his most recent muse, especially when you think of all the fantastic female actresses that have had that role over the course of his career. She freakin ruined Match point!

Godoggo 01-02-09 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 488299)
I think Scarlett Johansson is pretty flippin' mediocroe in the majority of her roles.
Yep. I very much agree. She's been in a couple of fantastic movies, but either the movie was very good in spite of her, or her mediocrity allowed the other actors to shine that much more.

David Melody 01-02-09 07:52 PM

George Clooney. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but he looks the same in every damn movie.

Ðèstîñy 01-02-09 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Caitlyn (Post 488282)
I can kind of see where you are coming from with Ed Norton but I've never noticed too many people even list John Cusack as a favorite... I love several of his earlier movies but he's made some real stinkers over the years too...
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 488288)
Oh? I just constantly see Cusack listed as the redeeming factor in most reviews of the stinkers he's in. Though, not being a fan don't follow his career explicitly.
I'll admit I love him . . . I mean his work! Seriously, I own many of his films, and I get a kick out of them. Even the films that may be considered stinkers.

"I want my two dollars!"

honeykid 01-02-09 09:54 PM

I really like a lot of John Cusack films too and, for me, he's more of a draw than most Hollywood actors.

mark f 01-02-09 10:05 PM

Bogart and Guinness are dead, so I never see movies anymore because of the cast. It's all based on the whole enchilada. When I get them through rentals, it's one of two kinds: flicks I missed at the theatre or rare films, mostly foreign, I cannot see unless I rent them. When I watch them on cable, it's based on serendipity because I rarely plan that out before I start scoping out the menu. :) I rarely buy films for myself anymore although I have a handsome collection.

As far as Cusack goes, I'd never call him overrated, but that's just the kinda guy I am. HA! :cool: