Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is There As Specific Film Subject That You Just Don't Like? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59795)

matt72582 08-03-19 09:18 AM

Is There As Specific Film Subject That You Just Don't Like?

Movies about centuries-old aristocracies.

SeeingisBelieving 08-03-19 10:10 AM

I suppose a political drama.

John-Connor 08-03-19 10:42 AM

Movies about male strippers.

SeeingisBelieving 08-03-19 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2027599)
Movies about male strippers.
Yeah: a political drama with male strippers.

Gideon58 08-03-19 11:21 AM

Not into westerns or horror movies as a rule.

MovieGal 08-03-19 11:22 AM

Re: Is There As Specific Film Subject That You Just Don't Like?

Not a fan of modern American Comedy.... love old comedy and foreign comedy... I dont find farts, boob jokes or anything degrading funny.

Citizen Rules 08-03-19 01:46 PM

I'm not into low-brow, modern-stupid Hollywood Comedies.

mark f 08-03-19 02:13 PM

No.

Ami-Scythe 08-03-19 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2027610)
Not a fan of modern American Comedy.... love old comedy and foreign comedy... I dont find farts, boob jokes or anything degrading funny.
They can work, it's just no one utilizes them correctly

Ami-Scythe 08-03-19 03:12 PM

I thought we were talking about film related topics like directors or something, but I'll put in my entry: I don't like talking about diversity in film and we're just talking about what kind of films we don't like, I'm not the biggest fan of war movies or bio flicks and dramas are hit or miss for me.

Captain Steel 08-03-19 07:03 PM

I have a couple favorite westerns, but in general I never liked westerns.
Race car movies (can't say I ever saw one, but it's just a subject I'd "steer" away from). ;)

gbgoodies 08-03-19 09:43 PM

I don't like horror movies, especially ones with blood and gore. I also don't like raunchy comedies. I'm kind of hit or miss with westerns and war movies too.

I don't know if this counts, but I don't like foreign (non-English) movies, and most silent movies, but that's more because my eyesight is bad so reading the subtitles and title cards is a problem for me. It's not really about the movie's genre.

MovieGal 08-03-19 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2027689)
I have a couple favorite westerns, but in general I never liked westerns.
Race car movies (can't say I ever saw one, but it's just a subject I'd "steer" away from). ;)
I like modern westerns and even some with female leads.... Racecar movies? really,.. have you seen "Rush"?

Im not a sports fan unless its Olympic sports but I do love sports films.. which I find odd.

Captain Steel 08-03-19 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2027706)
I like modern westerns and even some with female leads.... Racecar movies? really,.. have you seen "Rush"?

Im not a sports fan unless its Olympic sports but I do love sports films.. which I find odd.
Same here - don't really follow sports (except the Olympics), but love sports films.
I think it's because sports films are usually about something deeper than sports (personal triumph, transformation, coming together as a team, realizing potential, finding value in others or sometimes even realizing there are more important things in life than beating someone else in a competition.)

No, never seen Rush (do you recommend it?)

MovieGal 08-03-19 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2027710)

No, never seen Rush (do you recommend it?)
Yes! Its based on a true story.. and Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl are amazing actors in it..

Diehl40 08-03-19 10:05 PM

Anything works for me if it is done well. I like RomComs, I like Drama, I like some comedy, I like docs, I like some Science fiction, some fantasy. The problem is audiences, and I am including myself, don't demand enough of film makers, and then we get bad rom-coms, bad, dramas, etc. We also do the opposite. There are good film makers who are barely hanging on because they try to entertain and offer something else besides.I always thought that Woody Allen added extra value to rom coms, I like the dramas of Wim Wenders, for lack of a better category I like the movies of suspence that David Lynch and Alfred Hitchcock give us, etc.

I do agree with moviegal when she says, "Not a fan of modern American Comedy.... love old comedy and foreign comedy... I don't find farts, boob jokes or anything degrading funny."

I like to be entertained, but I don't like to be caught laughing at something that is degrading or sophomoric. .

Theophile 08-04-19 05:27 AM

I can't stand Heist movies whatsoever. They bore me to tears. Yes, we know that they will succeed; I don't care how clever it is, the ending is known.

At this point, I can't stand Superhero movies. I am so burned out on them. Talk to me about them in 5 years.

Any new sequel, re-make or re-imagining of a movie that I loved in my childhood which, due to it being so incredibly bad and/or PC, destroys that piece of my childhood (see Star Wars, etc.).

JoaoRodrigues 08-04-19 08:23 AM

films that over glorify america and the "american dream"
i hate propaganda, but i hate even more if it's american
show it like it is, i'll love you for it, show me the hungry and poor

films where the actors are from my generations and everything looks theatrical and fake,
piranha 3d was on tv last night, i had to change the channel once the dialogue started,
this isn't really a subject, but it's a pattern, guess it counts for something

i don't like romances where they live happily ever after, unless it's shrek or for kids with my age
i'm european, i like tragedy and sad endings when movies are supposed to mean something
only from tragedy and destruction new things can born, and i'm all into new experiences & perspectives

Marco 08-04-19 08:31 AM

Superhero movies, totally leave me cold. I tend to steer clear of romantic comedies too.

MoreOrLess 08-04-19 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 2027596)
I suppose a political drama.
It does tend to take quite a narrow form a lot of the time, normally its either thrillers(although I don't mind the odd one of these) or "worthy" drama getting by on politics 95% of the audience already agree with.