Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The first horror movie you watched? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=63923)

Alexandrmirokov 05-13-21 03:24 AM

I don't very well remember my first one, something about dinosaur thing that suddenly appeared from underground and started eating workers. It was in the 2010, i was only seven year old.
What about you? How old was you? Was it scary or nah?

ironpony 05-13-21 03:30 AM

Re: The first horror movie you watched?

Animation cannot remember the first, too young, but live action, Back to the Future.

AgrippinaX 05-13-21 03:51 AM

I grew up a horror fan. Can’t even remember the first one. I do remember being about 13, realising, Alright, kids, this is what I like, and watching every horror film out there in the next 4 years, 2-3 a day. After that, it’s more about ‘keeping up’ with what comes out.

crumbsroom 05-13-21 03:54 AM

Re: The first horror movie you watched?

When I was about three, I remember screaming at the ad for Amityville Horror until my parents took me to it. That was probably the first. At least of my conscious life.

AgrippinaX 05-13-21 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2203646)
When I was about three, I remember screaming at the ad for Amityville Horror until my parents took me to it. That was probably the first. At least of my conscious life.
That’s beautiful. I wish you were my child.

mark f 05-13-21 04:05 AM

Probably The Crawling Eye when I was about four, and yes, I was scared out of my mind.

Alexandrmirokov 05-13-21 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2203645)
I grew up a horror fan. Can’t even remember the first one. I do remember being about 13, realising, Alright, kids, this is what I like, and watching every horror film out there in the next 4 years, 2-3 a day. After that, it’s more about ‘keeping up’ with what comes out.
Oh, horror fan? Name every horror movie.

AgrippinaX 05-13-21 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Alexandrmirokov (Post 2203649)
Oh, horror fan? Name every horror movie.
Yeah, I’ll be here until 2023, probably.

Which I will be anyway.

Happy to discuss favourites, if you like.

Wyldesyde19 05-13-21 04:08 AM

My first brush with horror films was during the 80’s. The slasher genre was at its peak. In 1984, as I was just turning 7, A Nightmare on Elm St premiered and shook me deeply. I was afraid to fall asleep that night.
Other horror films that left an impact from that decade were: Friday the 13th, Christine, Cujo, Prince of Darkness, The Thing, Gremlins, The Howling (superior to An American Werewolf in London IMO), My Bloody Valentine, The Funhouse, Halloween 2 (almost as good as it predecessor), Return of the Living Dead, Fright Night just to name a handful. *
Even the lesser fair were entertaining in some way: Lifeforce, The Blob remake, The Creepshow anthologies, Pumpkinhead.
It was quite a time to be a horror fan. Special effects had finally caught up.
They didn’t match the sophistication of some of the 70’s offerings, but they didn’t need to.

Wyldesyde19 05-13-21 04:10 AM

Oh, and Childs Play gave me a deep fear of creepy dolls for a short time. After watching it, I preceded to have a nightmare of my sisters doll attacking me in the hallway that I vividly recall even today.
*shudders*
And that doll was incredibly creepy to begin with.

Alexandrmirokov 05-13-21 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2203650)
Yeah, I’ll be here until 2023, probably.

Which I will be anyway.

Happy to discuss favourites, if you like.
Favourite horror movie? Hmmm... Whenever i hear word horror, there's three movies come to my mind, it's Alien, Final Destination and Scream.
Boy, i still remember how i accidentally switched channel on tv, and, in the other channel, in that exact moment were going Scream. I was home alone and get scared

Alexandrmirokov 05-13-21 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2203652)
Oh, and Childs Play gave me a deep fear of creepy dolls for a short time. After watching it, I preceded to have a nightmare of my sisters doll attacking me in the hallway that I vividly recall even today.
*shudders*
And that doll was incredibly creepy to begin with.
Lol, same. Maybe that's not very manly, but i had pretty much dolls. My family wasn't very rich, so i don't had boy toys. I liked to play with them and always bring to bed when it was sleep time. Now, after watching good old movies about Chucky, i can't even sleep normally if there's a doll in room with me.

AgrippinaX 05-13-21 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Alexandrmirokov (Post 2203653)
Favourite horror movie? Hmmm... Whenever i hear word horror, there's three movies come to my mind, it's Alien, Final Destination and Scream.
Boy, i still remember how i accidentally switched channel on tv, and, in the other channel, in that exact moment were going Scream. I was home alone and get scared
Alíen is great. Also like Part 2, probably in equal measure.*

Final Destination has a pretty good concept, but I never was a huge fan - could be executed better, I feel. Scream is so meta you can’t take it seriously IMO, but not bad.

Alexandrmirokov 05-13-21 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2203656)
Alíen is great. Also like Part 2, probably in equal measure.*

Final Destination has a pretty good concept, but I never was a huge fan - could be executed better, I feel. Scream is so meta you can’t take it seriously IMO, but not bad.
Alien, yeah, good crap. I like space theme movies, especially horrors. Alien and Predator series still has special place in my heart

AgrippinaX 05-13-21 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Alexandrmirokov (Post 2203657)
Alien, yeah, good crap. I like space theme movies, especially horrors. Alien and Predator series still has special place in my heart
I quite like the genre as well. The one I thought could have been so much better was Event Horizon (1997).

Alexandrmirokov 05-13-21 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2203658)
I quite like the genre as well. The one I thought could have been so much better was Event Horizon (1997).
And what about you, friend? What movie you can call your favourite?

John-Connor 05-13-21 04:58 AM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/7d...c23a8d99d8.gif
Psycho, age; too young..

AgrippinaX 05-13-21 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2203662)
I see your point (I think), but anything pre-Les Yeux sans Visage doesn’t register as horror at all in my mind, and we are discussing horror. I do love plenty of silent films and 1930s films when it comes to other genres.

John-Connor 05-13-21 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2203664)
I see your point (I think), but anything pre-Les Yeux sans Visage doesn’t register as horror at all in my mind, and we are discussing horror. I do love plenty of silent films and 1930s films when it comes to other genres.
I didn't make a point, but I see the one your making, going by your horror definition, my first one would probably have been The Omen, Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, Poltergeist, De Lift, Christine, or The Thing, seen em all under the age of ten..

AgrippinaX 05-13-21 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Alexandrmirokov (Post 2203661)
And what about you, friend? What movie you can call your favourite?
It oscillates, but currently, I’d rank my horror list like this:

Hereditary
Resolution
The Endless (the last two do not count as horror in some people’s book, but they do in mine).
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Kill List
The Reflecting Skin if we count it as horror.
Possession (1981)

Not really about quality per se, just what speaks to me.