Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Birds of Prey (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=57385)

MonnoM 07-17-18 12:04 AM

Birds of Prey

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/...tedly-revealed

"Black Canary, Cassandra Cain, Huntress, and Renee Montoya will all be joining the crew of Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn in her Suicide Squad spinoff movie, Birds of Prey.

Revealed by TheWrap, Robbie will also be producing Birds of Prey, a film "centered around a revolving group of female heroes and villains," and will feature a "Batman comics villain who has never before appeared on the big screen."

In April, it was announced that Cathy Yan will be directing Birds of Prey and that production would begin by the end of the year.

Christina Hodson is taking the role as screenwriter."

Saunch 07-17-18 12:09 AM

Hmm, I guess I can’t blame them for not wanting to risk Catwoman and Poison Ivy.

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 1924396)
will feature a "Batman comics villain who has never before appeared on the big screen."
Kite Man.

Hell yeah.

doubledenim 07-17-18 03:44 AM

Re: Birds of Prey

...or Professor Pyg.

Saunch 07-17-18 10:24 AM

I think they teased Black Mask a while back. I’ve also heard that while Batgirl isn’t in the movie, Barbara Gordon isn’t necessarily out of the picture which... I mean, I guess. I think she was Oracle for most of the BoP’s run so it makes sense but I don’t want The Killing Joke to be cinematic canon.

MonnoM 08-07-18 02:12 AM

Yup, Black Mask has been confirmed...

"Gotham City mob boss and Batman foe Black Mask will make his big screen debut as the villain in ‘Birds of Prey, TheWrap has exclusively learned."

CiCi 08-24-18 12:53 PM

Is this replacing Gotham City Sirens? Would rather see that adapted than this :sick:

Sedai 08-24-18 01:00 PM

Wasn't this a (bad) show at one point?

Saunch 08-24-18 01:00 PM

To my knowledge, they’re developing both this and GCS. Sirens was in development first or, at least, was announced first but, as I presumed above, It’s possible that Warner Bros. got cold feet and decided to go with the lesser known property first. I’m sure Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Poison Ivy are easier sells than Black Canary, Huntress and Cassandra Cain but if it fails then it’s less of a blow for the company.

honeykid 08-25-18 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1941002)
Wasn't this a (bad) show at one point?
No, it was an (OK) one. :D

**And by "OK" I mean starred Dina Meyer.**

Camo 08-25-18 11:21 AM

Every time i see this title this is all i can think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOoFqbdr-XY

WorldFilmGeek 09-26-18 03:57 PM

https://deadline.com/2018/09/birds-o...ry-1202471751/

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is Huntress and Jurnee Smollett-Bell is Black Canary
A release date has been set: February 7, 2020

lightmare 09-26-18 08:41 PM

I don't know why but I feel like I prefer if Jurnee plays the role of Huntress.

dadgumblah 09-26-18 08:45 PM

Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Margot Robbie in the same movie? That's a huge :up: from me!

Saunch 01-28-19 11:41 AM

https://youtu.be/ptLZlrE8MrQ

doubledenim 01-29-19 01:57 AM

Don't they know the internet doesn't want a sexualized bowl of puddin' :rolleyes: They want the BTAS onesie wearing Quinn.

WorldFilmGeek 04-16-19 10:25 AM

Shooting wrapped yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwQyGahgCa3/

Tugg 10-01-19 02:12 PM

New "Birds of Prey" trailer is worrying.

WorldFilmGeek 10-01-19 02:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1l914WkO6Y

doubledenim 10-02-19 06:52 AM

I don't know what to think of this.

xSookieStackhouse 10-02-19 07:33 AM

as a marvel fan i know dc comics trying their best to beat marvel. this movie looks okay

Gibbonblack 10-02-19 07:42 AM

DC really know how to make a trailer

Iroquois 10-02-19 12:56 PM

We'll see if the candy-coloured aesthetic that got grafted onto Suicide Squad at the last minute looks any better when it's being done on purpose, I guess. My first impression is "no".

AfiLai 10-08-19 01:54 AM

For me, the trailer doesn't look too shabby but that's maybe because Margo's in it.
Anything with her in it is a must-watch for me. Especially when she's rocking the Harley Quinn look.
Before this, wasn't really a fan of collecting movie prints, but got one for Suicide Squad since she looked so good in it.

Captain Steel 10-08-19 02:25 AM

Why is it nothing ever looks like anything I remember from the comics anymore?

smithonepa 10-24-19 04:23 AM

Disparately waiting for this master piece

Ami-Scythe 10-24-19 08:51 AM

It looks better than Suicide Squad but it doesn't look like it's going to be anything special. The new Harley Quinn used to annoy me but I've kinda grown to like her since all in all she has her own unique personality so I might check it out.

Iroquois 01-09-20 01:21 PM

New trailer. Gotta admit this is growing on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3HbbzHK5Mc

Siddon 01-10-20 12:11 AM

I trust Margot Robbie...I mean she did just take out a thug by hitting a brick of cocaine with bat...so

elisaFrag 01-10-20 04:55 PM

exciting

elisaFrag 01-10-20 04:56 PM

releasing date?

ironpony 01-10-20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1924400)
Hmm, I guess I can’t blame them for not wanting to risk Catwoman and Poison Ivy.

Kite Man.

Hell yeah.
Why would Catwoman or Poison Ivy be more risky?

Captain Steel 01-10-20 06:23 PM

Black Canary... with a nose ring. :(

Doolallyfrank 01-14-20 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2057717)
Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1924400)

Kite Man.

Hell yeah.
Why would Catwoman or Poison Ivy be more risky?
Bigger fanbase, more beloved, huge backlash if they eff it up I'm guessing (Leto's Joker, Mr Freeze and Bane from B&R)

ironpony 01-27-20 11:58 PM

Just saw the trailer. I don't think Harley Quinn's costume looks that good. Why can't they give her an actual supervillain costume? She looks like she is party girl at a night club who is trying too hard, rather than crime fighting supervillain.

TBM74 02-04-20 05:23 PM

Birds of Prey aka Birds of Walmart

Hey all apparently the new Bird of Prey Harley Quinn spinoff movie via Warner Brothers via Suicide Squad is set to flop with low ticket sales, woke garbage comments from some of the people involved and well what are your thoughts?

Want some proof?

Search for 'birds of prey tickets not selling' should find the article I was referring to.

Another case of spending $100m or more to try and change social thinking, and well don't come crying I guess when no one goes to see your movie? I think people (men especially maybe even some women!) are sick of man-splaining the world's problems.

O and hey, Amber Heard was actually abusing Johnny Depp, not the other way around.

Post your thoughts!

Iroquois 02-04-20 09:39 PM

Re: Birds of Prey aka Birds of Walmart

I think it'll be about as much of a flop as Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel.

I think that having your proof amount to telling people to Google it and expecting them to find the exact article you're after isn't going to do the best job of convincing anyone (and if the reason you didn't post a link already was because you don't have enough posts to be allowed to put links in a post yet, think about the possible reasons why such a restriction on new users would exist).

I think if a movie is made by women then it is literally incapable of "mansplaining" anything.

I think bringing up Amber Heard as if that whole situation has any relevance to this topic says everything we need to know about how seriously to take your thoughts on the matter.

Are those enough thoughts for you?

Wyldesyde19 02-05-20 03:34 AM

If You really think Heard was the abuser, you clearly haven’t watched the video where Depp was smashing glasses while yelling at her for asking “What happened?”

This films isn’t, in anyway, trying to change social thinking. It’s a superhero movie about women for girls. Aimed at girls. A t a time where there aren’t many heroines for them. (Minus Harley, as I’m not sure how much of a role model she should be considered but I digress) but mostly, it’s a film aimed to make money.
Stop trying to force your own narrative on it, and stop projecting your own issues at it.

Yoda 02-05-20 08:53 AM

Seconding the "force your own narrative" bit. The fact that you bring up Amber Heard is pretty weird, and makes it obvious this thread isn't about the movie, but is just a disconnected salvo in the Gender Wars.

FromBeyond 02-05-20 09:09 AM

it looks like feminism not a movie

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063413)
It’s a superhero movie about women for girls. Aimed at girls. A t a time where there aren’t many heroines for them.
I'm seeing them everywhere all the time

FromBeyond 02-05-20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2063448)
Seconding the "force your own narrative" bit. The fact that you bring up Amber Heard is pretty weird, and makes it obvious this thread isn't about the movie, but is just a disconnected salvo in the Gender Wars.
which is the movie.

Yoda 02-05-20 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 2063455)
which is the movie.
Maybe? Has anyone here seen it yet?

Even if the movie does take that point of view, it's not contradicted by the Amber Heard stuff. Not everything about women is an occasion to talk about every other male-female dynamic that exists in the culture. Far from putting an end to this Gender War stuff, that's just buying right into it.

The Rodent 02-05-20 09:31 AM

Damned women took our jerbs!

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...85/647/d72.png

Siddon 02-05-20 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2063457)
Maybe? Has anyone here seen it yet?

the review embargo gets lifted at noon, I expect it to land above the 80% RT range

John McClane 02-05-20 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2063356)
I think if a movie is made by women then it is literally incapable of "mansplaining" anything.
Hard disagree on that one. Women can most definitely mansplain. :yup:

Iroquois 02-05-20 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 2063454)
Eh, could be worse, she could just be a figment of the Joker's imagination.

Wyldesyde19 02-05-20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 2063454)

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063413)
It’s a superhero movie about women for girls. Aimed at girls. A t a time where there aren’t many heroines for them.
I'm seeing them everywhere all the time
You mean other then Captain Marvel, Wonder Women, Black Widow and....oh wait....

Wyldesyde19 02-05-20 01:47 PM

For what’s its worth, I doubt the film will be any good. But it won’t have anything to do with “trying to change social thinking’s” nor “mansplaining”.

I’ll still be seeing it, though.

Siddon 02-05-20 01:52 PM

91% on RT 45 Positive to 4 Negative

FromBeyond 02-05-20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063530)
You mean other then Captain Marvel, Wonder Women, Black Widow and....oh wait....
I can think of some more but I was referring to your comment of not enough heroines on screen of which there are too many to name

Wyldesyde19 02-05-20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 2063546)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063530)
I can think of some more but I was referring to your comment of not enough heroines on screen of which there are too many to name
Oh which many are relegated to supporting roles and don’t get their own films. I’m not sure what your issue is? That they’re getting their own films or that there’s too many of them in the films?
There is a such thing as female super hero’s you know. You understand that it isn’t a solely male phenomenon, right? Only natural it would be reflected on the screen.
It seems to me it’s more of a personal issue with women in general.

Iroquois 02-06-20 02:01 PM

Saw it earlier and I reckon it's decent. If the main points of reference are Suicide Squad and the Deadpool movies, then I do reckon Birds of Prey works as a film that's both trying to learn from their mistakes and refine their strengths. Character development is done much more organically, it manages to be in-your-face without being obnoxious (a delicate balance if ever there was one), the action is pretty solid as it favours relatively mundane combat and chases over actual superpowered battle, and it keeps a fairly tight pace throughout a thankfully brief runtime (thankful in that it doesn't feel the need to go past the two-hour mark like just about every other superhero movie in recent memory).

As for "gender war" stuff, who cares. Beyond acknowledging the toxicity of the relationship between Joker and Harley Quinn (which even a film as lunk-headed as Suicide Squad sort of did) and having male villains use the occasional gendered insult or humiliation tactic, the movie's not overly didactic about its gender politics and fleshes them out only as much as a colourful superhero blockbuster really needs. Thinking of this movie as some kind of vindictive attack on the entire male gender sounds like fragile masculinity more than anything else.

Doolallyfrank 02-07-20 11:51 AM

It's better than Suicide Squad, enjoyable but nothing special

John-Connor 02-13-20 04:49 PM

Harleyqueen 02-27-20 02:10 AM

Birds of Prey

What did y’all think of “Birds of prey and the fantabulous emancipation of one Harley Quinn”?

Doolallyfrank 02-27-20 02:22 AM

Better than Suicide Squad, but it wasn't great

Taz 02-27-20 02:53 AM

I actually quite liked it. Am not usually one that gets all fanboy about the latest superhero fare, so it's not that. And as I do have to rely on the AD can't really comment about the visual aspects but as a piece of storytelling, I thought it was pretty decent.

Have posted about this in my own review log, but it reminded me of Tank Girl, the 90's movie made long before the rise in popularity of comic book movies etc. Also, the way I see this movie is that it isn't a true and accurate representation of events, rather as the story is being told from the perspective of Harley Quinn, who is a psychologist/psychiatrist (can't remember which), the narrative therefore has to be taken as being from the twisted worldview that Harley has. Because of which, her narrative largely omits the presence of strong male characters, as she, and the Birds of Prey, her allies in this, are the badasses here, while the male characters are portrayed as weak or foolish or liable to betray etc - which again, is not what they actually are but rather viewed through the prism of how HQ worldview is skewed. After all what she has been through with Mr J, HQ is not wanting to be seen as weak, somehow can only do what she did before because of Joker's protection or being the fool, the plaything of the Clown Prince of Crime, and has just had her heart broken by said arch-villian.

I can also see why the film has underperformed at the Box Office. The choice of scheduling dates (releasing it the week before Valentines Day weekend, instead of Valentines Day weekend (which was an extended weekend in America because of President's Day was a mistake. Also, there is nothing in the movie that could have been omitted that would have substantially changed which meant that the film could have had a 15 (or possibily even a 12A) certificate instead of the 18 it got cost it from being able to be accessed by teens etc. And thirdly, because of the narrative choice that touched on above meant that there is misconception of this movie being somehow feminist propaganda, which is total BS. It is not that the male characters are weak, it is that HQ percieves them in those couple of days that the story is centred on and it is important for her emancipation to find her own identity rather than simply being Mr J's GF.

But add all of those issues bundled together and rightly or wrongly, BoP has significantly underperformed at the Box Office. Which is a shame as it is a pretty good ride and entertaining movie.

leperry 02-27-20 05:04 AM

I personally believe it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it wasn't really good either. I just have a Harley Quinn that I keep to heart, and it is not Margot Robbie's version. She herself is a good Harley Quinn, but the way the writers wrote her character is terrible, in my opinion. I just don't see Harley Quinn, the original, acting like this at all. I feel like Bird's of Prey was just a way to enforce women's rights and independence into Hollywood. I am a woman so I obviously support women as well, but ruining classic characters for causes like this is ridiculous. They did the same thing to Captain Marvel. They ruined the character for women's rights. It seems nowadays I can't watch my favorite classics being created into new entertainment right in front of me, without experiencing all of the political opinions of the left being shoved down my throat. I really don't care about politics, I don't care if anyone is left or right. I just want to see THE Harley Quinn, Captain Marvel, Marvel studios in general, being put onto the screen correctly. Creating a NEW character to express women's rights, I can ignore. Ruining old ones? I cannot overlook this.

Iroquois 02-27-20 06:59 AM

I obviously support women, you can tell from my post where I repeatedly state that supporting women ruins female characters.

Anyway, this movie is fine.

leperry 02-28-20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2068822)
I obviously support women, you can tell from my post where I repeatedly state that supporting women ruins female characters.

Anyway, this movie is fine.
I mean, it's not that supporting women ruined the movie. They changed her character to support women. THAT'S what ruined it. They could create new characters or something instead of changing characters around. That gets annoying.

Iroquois 02-28-20 10:23 AM

I don't know why it's such a problem, though. Comic book characterisation is notoriously flexible as it is and it's not like she hasn't already been characterised as being friendly towards other female characters like Poison Ivy prior to this film so it's not that unreasonable a development (and also works to make her a more nuanced character than just being the Joker's wacky plaything). Creating new characters doesn't seem like an adequate alternative, especially if they're going to stand in opposition to an unchanged Harley and convolute the proceedings.

gandalf26 02-28-20 08:06 PM

I found the marketing quite annoying, before the interviewers had even said hello all the cast can't wait to blurt out that "The Joker and Harley split up", I saw that happen in at least 3 interviews. Like the cast had all been told to hammer home that "they've split up".

No the real reason is that there's a more successful Joker out recently and Jared Leto's Joker in Suicide Squad wasn't particularly well received.

Iroquois 02-29-20 04:17 AM

It can be two things.

movienex 03-01-20 12:18 AM

From what I heard, there was not a single man in a movie that was "good". Literally all men in that movies are bad. And it's 80-90% on rotten tomatoes. Sounds very fishy to me.

Captain Steel 03-01-20 12:35 AM

This is neither here nor there, but the greatest comic run of Birds of Prey (IMO) was when ground-breaking, female, comic writer Gail Simone took over the reins (and Ed Benes was regular artist).

I haven't seen the movie, but I get the feeling it's nothing like the comic's best run.

(Although I'm sure they'll now structure the comic around the movie which they ALWAYS seem to do even if the movie is nothing to write home about! This never made sense to me - a comic is good enough to warrant a movie - so they change things from the comic to make the movie - the movie is never as good as the comic just like the movie is never as good as the book... but THEN, they change the comic to make it just like the movie which is sub-par to its original source material!)

During this era of the comic's run, the characters in the movie (Harley Quinn, Renee Montoya, & Casandra Cain) were not part of the team.
The comic team when Simone was writing it consisted of Oracle (parapeligic Barbara Gordon, fomerly Batgirl), Black Canary, the Huntress with several extended or part time members who are not listed in the movie's cast.

Iroquois 03-01-20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by movienex (Post 2069454)
From what I heard, there was not a single man in a movie that was "good". Literally all men in that movies are bad. And it's 80-90% on rotten tomatoes. Sounds very fishy to me.
The guy who makes Harley her sandwich is good.

movienex 03-01-20 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2069467)
The guy who makes Harley her sandwich is good.
Fair enough. But one good man in the whole movie means, I am sure a lot of people won't bother.

Iroquois 03-01-20 06:05 AM

Like I said before, who cares.

Taz 03-01-20 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by movienex (Post 2069454)
It's not that difficult to work out. Harley Quinn is a vey smart cookie, a psychologist or psychiatrist (cant remember which). Se has also got a very askewed world view. Now on top of this has broken up with Mr J, and the entire movie is being told from her perspective. So it is not an accurate or factual account of what happened, but of events viewed through this prism of Harley Quinn, which means it is more fantastical than purely factual.

Which includes HQ's own inflated badassery (case in point, some of the damage that she supposedly took would have shattered bones, not broken them, let alone walk away from without a scratch or her visit to the police station etc), as well as the men being representative of the Joker, whom she is beating down, taking her revenge and breaking free from - it's classic projection. And so, when considering that, it makes sense. And when thinking about it from that perspective it's actually a pretty fun ride.

So really it's unlike all the previous DCEU or MCU movies. In fact the closest comparison would probably be with Tank Girl from the 90's, which took a similiar approach, and none others really have ever since.

WrinkledMind 03-08-20 04:15 PM

I just finished watching this. Decent fun. I thought Margot Robbie made an earnest effort, and at times she is brilliant but on the other times it felt like watching a female Mask, and only Jim Carrey could pull off the Mask.

The rest of the characters were decent. The plot was actually too simplistic.

The action scenes were well shot and choreographed. Not as brilliant as Atomic Blonde's, whose fight scenes can be compared with the fight scenes in this movie.

The police station scene was topnotch. Had the right mix of action and colours.

The gender argument around this movie is weird. But I suppose that's how it will be going forward with every movie. Touchy folks on both sides of the debate. Female characters were portrayed nicely in this movie, without them being preachy.

My already existing crush on Mary Elizabeth Winstead grew ten fold. Huntress was so much more cooler than everyone else. Or maybe I am biased because of my crush on Miss Winstead.

ClapperProject 04-22-20 08:43 PM

Birds of Prey

Birds of Prey was really underwhelming

ironpony 04-22-20 09:21 PM

Haven't seen it but it looks terrible in the trailers. The costumes are bad, they don't even look like superheroes, but overdressed party girls.

Captain Steel 04-22-20 11:49 PM

Like most comic-based movies... if only they'd followed the original source material they would have had something far more exciting and entertaining.

I never understand the reasoning - here we have something successful enough that we'll base a movie on it... but then we'll change everything about it (which made it entertaining and successful and worthy of having a movie made about it in the first place)... and then wonder why it's so sub-par to the original source material and just sub-par in general.

ironpony 05-26-20 02:26 AM

Well I think that Harley Quinn is also not as popular of a Batman villain to make a spin off movie of, is she? If you were to compare Batman villains to Bond villains for example, wouldn't Harley Quinn be around the ranking of Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd, or am I totally off on that?