Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Need advice Re-organising my collection (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=45895)

Bunker Wise 06-11-16 10:22 AM

Need advice Re-organising my collection

I recently moved to an apartment And have a mega job reorganising my DVDs which are 1500 now I don't wanna go of the obvious alphabetical order or genre pacific I want something new and interesting :rolleyes: any tips

Topsy 06-11-16 10:44 AM

Re: Need advice Re-organising my collection

ive done it by genre,but i also do it by actors if i have alot of movies by the same.

might look fun if you do it by colours?

Chypmunk 06-11-16 10:46 AM

How about sorting them by year and then alphabetical? Or year/genre/alphabetical in that order? Or alphabetical director and year of release?

Bunker Wise 06-11-16 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1530239)
How about sorting them by year and then alphabetical? Or year/genre/alphabetical in that order? Or alphabetical director and year of release?
I might just try that :) still open to new advice though

CosmicRunaway 06-11-16 11:46 AM

A friend of mine used to have their collection in what he called "autobiographical order". The DVDs and shows were in the order he acquired them in. Though with 1500 movies I imagine you probably can't remember when you got them all. Maybe you could organize them by release date instead?

TONGO 06-11-16 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1530238)
ive done it by genre,but i also do it by actors if i have alot of movies by the same.
^^^ What she said. Doing it alphabetically in seperate genres. Its like the old Blockbuster Video layout.

Bunker Wise 06-11-16 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 1530268)
A friend of mine used to have their collection in what he called "autobiographical order". The DVDs and shows were in the order he acquired them in. Though with 1500 movies I imagine you probably can't remember when you got them all. Maybe you could organize them by release date instead?
That sounds pretty awesome I wish I had a photographic memory now Haha

Cody_Leach 09-15-16 11:18 AM

Call me old fashioned I cant imagine arranging mine in anything but alphabetical

papagallo 09-16-16 06:56 AM

I use this method
the most watched movies are at hand reach while the rest are stacked unsorted and that way, I have fun by searching

I hate organization

iank 05-08-17 05:32 AM

Genre. Though my top 2 shelves are a sort of chronological "Favourite Movies Ever" collection of all genres, confusingly. ;)

HashtagBrownies 07-12-17 03:13 PM

Sell all the films you're never gonna re-watch, then organize the rest by how much you enjoy them

Stirchley 07-12-17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bunker Wise (Post 1530222)
or genre pacific
How about genre Atlantic?

WorldFilmGeek 07-12-17 06:57 PM

I've done my DVDs by distributor but my Blu-Rays are in alphabetical order...now in terms of VHS, that's a whole different ballgame LOL