Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best Alfred Hitchcock Film (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=228)

Rodney 12-08-00 11:12 PM

So, what is the best Alfred Hitchcock film?

PooPooMaster 12-09-00 01:20 PM

I can't vote. I think they're all good.

jamesglewisf 12-10-00 05:56 PM

I went with Rear Window. Grace Kelly...mmmmmm...yummy.

Actually, I just thought it was good and suspenseful. I think North by Northwest was pretty good too.

Rodney 12-10-00 06:12 PM

I voted for Rear Window too.

thmilin 12-10-00 09:35 PM

I voted "Other" for Vertigo ... Hitchcock just really got to me with that one.

The Birds didn't move me ...
I've seen parts of Rear Window and it didn't move me either.
Psycho either ...

BUT - i've heard some very kinky/interesting stuff about the homoerotic undertones in Rope, which makes me interested in seeing it ... supposedly Hitchcock and the ensemble played around with that undertone and the reality of one of the leads being gay, or somesuch. haven't seen it yet ... hopefully one day.

Yoda 12-11-00 11:58 AM

There is a small homosexual vibe in that movie with the two guys and all - but I never thought much of it.

"Rope" is probably my 2nd favorite Hitchcock film, but I voted for "Other", because, as my profile clearly states, "Dial 'M' For Murder" is basically my favorite movie of all time.

ryanpaige 12-12-00 06:26 AM

You kind of have to be looking for the homosexual vibe in Rope to see that it's there. I didn't think about it when I saw Rope the first time, but after reading a book by Francois Truffaut where he matter-of-factly states that the characters in Rope were gay, it was easy to see them that way.

My favorite Hitchcock movie is North by Northwest, but it's only out in front by a short bit as I liked Dial M For Murder and Rope and The Man Who Knew Too Much and Rear Window and even To Catch a Thief (among many others) almost as much.

LordCrank 12-17-00 12:14 AM

i went with Rope, i had heard they were gay beforehand AND i saw Hitchcock the first time, no getting anything past me...

oh yeah, it was a damn good movie, too.

Czar 01-08-01 05:00 AM

Can't go past Vertigo, for the trademark Hitchcock shot, and the tragic twisting tale that manages to captivate even after multiple viewings. It's amazing to see the amount of detail that Hitchcock injected into this film.

Rope, Psycho and Rear Window are also favorites of mine.

OllieO 01-08-01 10:07 AM

Am I the only one that thinks that Psycho is a phenomenal film? I guess so.

Zephyrus 01-08-01 11:17 AM

No way, Psycho is one of my favourites of all time!! It's a great movie by any standard. I'm not sure about some of the other movies like Vertigo because (believe it or not :) ) I haven't had a chance to see it!

OllieO 01-08-01 02:53 PM

Cheers Zeph, I knew you'd have my back ;).

Sedai 04-09-04 10:31 AM

Vertigo, as I think it's his greatest and most complex film, but I really love these as well:

Psycho
Rear Window
Strangers on a Train
The Birds

I believe The Birds is his favorite. I read that somewhere. He felt it was a culmination of many of his ideas.....

LordSlaytan 04-09-04 10:42 AM

North by Northwest

Ultimate_Thrill 04-09-04 10:45 AM

I have to say Rebecca (1940).

I loved the movie as much as the book - that's pretty rare.

Also Rear window and Vertigo - of course.
:)

Hondo333 04-09-04 10:47 AM

Psycho - A++

North By Northwest - A
Rear Window - A-
The Birds - B

Aniko 04-09-04 12:09 PM

Rear Window (1954)
Rebecca (1940)
To Catch a Thief (1955)
North by Northwest (1959)
Psycho (1960)

Holden Pike 04-09-04 12:22 PM

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...st-Posters.jpg
North by Northwest
"That wasn't very sporting, using real bullets."

And please, clicky HERE.

Mark 04-09-04 03:19 PM

Psycho is my all-time favorite film.

Hitchcock is my all-time favorite director.

I've seen 29 Hitchcock films, and here are my top ten:

1. Psycho
2. Rear Window
3. Dial M for Murder
4. Strangers on a Train
5. Rope
6. Vertigo
7. Shadow of a Doubt
8. Suspicion
9. Rebecca
10. North by Northwest

Jackie Malfoy 04-10-04 07:30 PM

Ok my favorite are as follow!

"Vitgo" and "The Rope" and "Dancing with strangers"
"Stranger on the Train" the Norman Bates movie. and I think that is it.
The other ones scare me too much oh and the birds were so funny. See yu around!JM :cool: ;) :p :D :)