Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why film? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47147)

Rhys 10-31-16 11:01 PM

Why film?

What is it that sparked your love for film and why?

TONGO 10-31-16 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rhys (Post 1600897)
What is it that sparked your love for film and why?
Oy, I made this thread awhile back, and my answers in the op ;)

http://www.movieforums.com/community...+that+made+you

Daniel M 10-31-16 11:14 PM

Re: Why film?

Instead of looking at what got me into film technically, I think what I want to answer, is why was it film that "I got in to". Why was it these moving pictures that I became so interested in, as opposed to any other hobbie or art form? I think there's something magical about moving pictures that transcend life and time. A photo can capture a single moment, but with a film you play around with all sorts of elements and develop different languages and storytelling techniques to tell tales, share messages and so on. It removes you from the real world and lets you witness something that you can not experience in your real life more often than not, they combine the best parts about photography and sound and are used to maximise effect with your sense to evoke emotional reaction.

Rhys 10-31-16 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1600908)
Instead of looking at what got me into film technically, I think what I want to answer, is why was it film that "I got in to". Why was it these moving pictures that I became so interested in, as opposed to any other hobbie or art form? I think there's something magical about moving pictures that transcend life and time. A photo can capture a single moment, but with a film you play around with all sorts of elements and develop different languages and storytelling techniques to tell tales, share messages and so on. It removes you from the real world and lets you witness something that you can not experience in your real life more often than not, they combine the best parts about photography and sound and are used to maximise effect with your sense to evoke emotional reaction.
I totally agree with this. Film is really something special.

TONGO 10-31-16 11:31 PM

Its changing now, but movies were that storybreaking next level for most of us that dont read books often. ;) Nowadays the tv series are starting to have the same level of content, and emotional resonance level as a movie....more and more. A tv series can hit you on every level a movie can now, and go on long enough to tell every aspect of a story. Dont get me wrong, I adore film. Just an observation.

Rhys 10-31-16 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1600920)
Its changing now, but movies were that storybreaking next level for most of us that dont read books often. ;) Nowadays the tv series are starting to have the same level of content, and emotional resonance level as a movie....more and more. A tv series can hit you on every level a movie can now, and go on long enough to tell every aspect of a story.
Any suggestions for TV shows? :)

cadra 11-01-16 03:50 AM

I had an amazing HS teacher in the tiny crap town I grew up in - he used his class as a way to expose us to directors like Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Ray, di Sica, etc. He wasn't really friendly - in fact he was very intimidating and stand-offish, and his classes were extremely difficult. But we knew we were being exposed to something special, and even those who got Ds in his class said they learned more than in any other class they took. All the kids from our tiny town are now at least a little conversant in these directors' filmographies because of him, and some like myself ended up loving film because of it.

thegodfather 11-01-16 03:45 PM

They allow us to 'escape' from our shallow lives and witness so many experiences with such a wide variety of characters. I find solace in the fact that movies are always there for me so that I can immerse myself in their stories.