Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   European: Lets Talk Football (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=4951)

Sutter Kain 08-03-03 10:47 PM

Lets Talk Football

Hey guys I was just wondering if u guys like Football? If so who is your favorite team?(Tampa Bay is mine)

MyRobotSuit 08-03-03 10:52 PM

hmm, english football is OK, not into any other.

Stutter, how come you didn't use the 'Stutter Kain' avatar sexy made you?

Sutter Kain 08-03-03 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by MinionTV
Stutter, how come you didn't use the 'Stutter Kain' avatar sexy made you?
Ok I don't mean to be mean or anything but THE NAME IS SUTTER KAIN NOT STUTTER KAIN ITS FROM THE MOVIE IN THE MOUTH OF MADDNESS!Ok now that I got that out of the way I didn't not see that the pic you speak of.

Sutter Kain 08-03-03 11:07 PM

Hey thanks man how do I get the pic to be my avatar?

MyRobotSuit 08-03-03 11:08 PM

wooooo, somebody has become rowdy.

Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..
Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..
Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..Stutter..........

Sexy Celebrity 08-03-03 11:11 PM

SK, save it, go to User CP, go to Avatars, find the sutter.jpg on your computer, and upload it here. It will work.

Sutter Kain 08-03-03 11:31 PM

I tryed that and it says it is not a GIF JPG or PNG how do u turn it into one of those??

Sutter Kain 08-04-03 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sutter Kain
I tryed that and it says it is not a GIF JPG or PNG how do u turn it into one of those??
NEVER MIND I got it

Golgot 08-04-03 07:11 AM

the real debate

My football team is the marvellously ****ty Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs), based in London Town. Perhaps we should enter the real debate which is:

When are you guys going to stop using our word? Football, the game of the feet, was named as such first. Later, the name "soccer" was taken from the phrase Association Football. Seeing as it's a superflous secondary term, why don't you guys use it for that funny cissy game you play mainly with the hands? The one where you do actually "sock" each other on a regular basis! You see! It'd make sense!

(ps - i used to like the "soccer" team called the 49ers when i was a young'un)

Hondo333 08-04-03 08:01 AM

Football, I LOVE football

Soccer: Man U/Portsmouth
Aussierules: Carlton
Gridiorn: Dolphins

Golgot 08-04-03 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hondo333
Football, I LOVE football

Soccer: Man U/Portsmouth
Aussierules: Carlton
Gridiorn: Dolphins
DON'T CALL IT THAT! :furious: (tho "Grid-iron" s'good name for the wrapped-up rugby game ;)) (and my god you've heard of Pompey! How strange. Are you related to their croatian benefactor or something? ;))

Steve 08-04-03 08:31 PM

Early super bowl predictions:

It'll be the Miami Dolphins vs. the San Francisco 49ers.

Golgot 08-04-03 08:33 PM

wehey! My team! Is Dan Marino still playing for the others then ;) :rolleyes:

Sutter Kain 08-05-03 05:14 PM

no dan is not with the them any more he has retired. As far as the Super goes I think it is a little early to be predicating who are going to be in it I just hope that The Saints aren't in it!

jrs 08-05-03 06:41 PM

I love the football season for only one reason....the advertisements during the Superbowl . Now that's fun. As for the game itself, not interested.
I love watching though spanish football (or Soccor as they call it) . just to hear that "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLL!!!". :laugh:

Golgot 08-05-03 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by jrs
(or Soccor as they call it)
You're treading a very fine line me-laddo. But you're right, it is classy when they go mental. "Gooooooooolaaaazo! Golgolgolgolgol" Hey, maybe that's where my name comes from?

Erm, and Sutter, i was joking ;)

Hondo333 08-05-03 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Golgot
DON'T CALL IT THAT! :furious: (tho "Grid-iron" s'good name for the wrapped-up rugby game ;)) (and my god you've heard of Pompey! How strange. Are you related to their croatian benefactor or something? ;))
Well we have to call it that in Aus. We have about 10 diffrent footballs, Aussie Rules, Rugby Union and League, Soccer Ahhhhh its out of control

and no i dont think i am related to any one croation, But i have lots of mates who are!!! ;)

Golgot 08-05-03 10:39 PM

Well we have to call it that in Aus. We have about 10 diffrent footballs, Aussie Rules, Rugby Union and League, Soccer Ahhhhh its out of control

and no i dont think i am related to any one croation, But i have lots of mates who are!!! ;)
can't you call the others ball-foot or something? Elbowball (that's my impression of aussie-rules ;) They spend more time watching the off-the ball tackles than the ball!) Anyways, i've been running on a football-related bruised-n-battered foot recently, so i guess i won't point fingers ;)

Sutter Kain 08-06-03 02:49 AM

Hey Golgot why do u care if people call it Football?

nebbit 08-06-03 08:12 AM

Up the Wollongong Wolves. :scream:

Hondo333 08-06-03 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by nebbit
Up the Wollongong Wolves. :scream:

PERTH GLORY :scream:

nebbit 08-06-03 09:25 AM

PERTH GLORY :scream:
Are they good? I know nothing about soccer, I posted it for my Mother who was a big fan of The Wollongong Wolves. :D

Golgot 08-06-03 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sutter Kain
Hey Golgot why do u care if people call it Football?
just a logic thing really - and a bit of fun. We call our game football, coz it is played with the feet. Later, you guys invented a game using hands and decided to call it football. We just don't like people re-naming our sport for us is all. Absolutely nobody here calls it soccer. Why don't you call "football" gridiron? That'd sort everything out ;) Or "american-rules" (should fit with the mentality;))

Sutter Kain 08-07-03 12:35 AM

We don't just use our hands we use are feet as well. And we aren't re naming the sport for you we are re naming the sport for us.

sunfrog 08-16-03 02:30 AM

It's called soccer because it's played with knee high socks.
http://somalinet.com/mag/images/beckham.jpg

It's called football because the ball is carried on foot across the goal line.
http://www.sports-only.com/fantasy/fantasy/td.jpg

Golgot 08-16-03 01:04 PM

gah, my team lost the first game of the season

Heheheh. That's the best rationalisation i've ever seen on this topic. Well done.

But, most sports involve the use of your feet. We don't call tennis, erm, football. We don't call running footing either. We apply, with dazzling precision, the word foot to the part of the body used to propel a football (i'm talking about the spherical thing propelled by the foot 90% of the time in the game of football. Not in gridiron, where you coset it and carry it around like a precious baby, which you occasionally like to throw to your neighbour. And where you wear giant protective body socks (and body shoes if you like).

Honestly :rolleyes:

Revenant 08-16-03 01:43 PM

:idea: I think American football should be more accurately called American Passball, it makes more sense that way in my opinion.

Also, I consider American 'Football' :skeptical: just the safer and far more boring version of Rugby. In Rugby we don't need no silly protective padding. It is a contact sport after all.

As to the other, if your going to name something, it has to have at least a reasonable prominence with the thing your applying it to.

FOOTBALL = Foot connecting with ball.

SOCCER = Sock-er???? Boxing perhaps???? Father Christmas filling stockings???? A maker of socks????

Hey, just having fun there. Americans feel free to use whatever curious choice names you wish for the sports on your particular continent. :D

Golgot 08-16-03 01:53 PM

so long as they remember what we call our sports too :whistles-innocently-smilie:

Seeing as soccer came from "football association" or something, maybe we could get something out of NFL to sort all this out.

Call it: Nuffle.

Yeah, that'll do. Pass the nuffleball. Or just the nuffle. - "Oh, and that's a beautiful pass, the nuffle's in the air....touchdown" - Yeah, it'd work fine.

Revenant 08-16-03 02:04 PM

so long as they remember what we call our sports too :whistles-innocently-smilie:

Seeing as soccer came from "football association" or something, maybe we could get something out of NFL to sort all this out.

Call it: Nuffle.

Yeah, that'll do. Pass the nuffleball. Or just the nuffle. - "Oh, and that's a beautiful pass, the nuffle's in the air....touchdown" - Yeah, it'd work fine.

:laugh: " He's muffled the nuffle and it doesn't look pretty from the opponents angle........"

Golgot 08-16-03 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Revenant
" He's muffled the nuffle and it doesn't look pretty from the opponents angle........"
:rotfl:

"....he looks ruffled but he's still got the nuffle. He breaks free of the scuffle....Noooo....he didn't have enough left to nuffle it well, and now he's in for a rebuff-el from his manager, as well...."

sunfrog 08-16-03 02:11 PM

Btw, in Mexico it's called Fútbol.
http://www.saveurs.sympatico.ca/ency...ameri/maya.jpg

To Golgot,
Why don't you call it Footie? It's cute and more polite since it makes no mention of balls. :D

To the people who say Miami is going to the Superbowl every year,
Not this year. :D

Revenant 08-16-03 02:13 PM

:rotfl:

"....he looks ruffled but he's still got the nuffle. He breaks free of the scuffle....Noooo....he didn't have enough left to nuffle it well, and now he's in for a rebuff-el from his manager, as well...."
"Now the crowd has been muffled as the nuffle gets shuffled away....."

Err, I'm stuck for additional rhyme. :dizzy:

Golgot 08-16-03 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by sunfrog
Btw, in Mexico it's called Fútbol.

To Golgot,
Why don't you call it Footie? It's cute and more polite since it makes no mention of balls. :D
Oh we do, but quietly, so noone will think they're free to use the official version without our say-so ;)

Y es mas o menos igual: futbol/football - no?

Those mystical Mexicans, they know about the nature of reality (and silly sports that keep us off the streets ;))

Hmm, ok, you're right tho. Any word with ball in it might offend delicate american sensibilities (;)). Quick, let's change it too footbladder. No, that's no better. Um,....spheri-thing? ElliptiHand? CatchyCurve? SquishedSphere? Spinner? Rota-Rugby?

Come on, you've had ages to make up your own name for it ;)
(i'm so asking for trouble... :rolleyes: )

Golgot 08-16-03 02:26 PM

"Now the crowd has been muffled as the nuffle gets shuffled away....."

Err, I'm stuck for additional rhyme. :dizzy:
Yeah, i kept ending up trying to fit duffle-coat in there somewhere. Oh well, it's not like commentators rhyme that much...."He hits the ball through the squall of winter weather and it lands with a dismall squelch." - well, alright, mebe occasionally - the more morosely flambouyant ones ;)

Groove Switch 08-24-03 08:40 PM

I'm a big Patriots fan, let's hope they can rebuild that glory from two years ago!

Mairosu 08-24-03 08:43 PM

49ers fan here, and when it comes to our football, Red Star Belgrade, Liverpool FC & Feijenoord.

Golgot 08-24-03 08:53 PM

Where are you based these days then Mairosu?

(PS God I'm so happy - Spurs actually looked good in the premiership this weekend. Could the seven years of injuries, lack of squad-depth, options across the pitch, and on-and-off flair and fun-to-watch footie be over? Could we be back in consistant flair territory? After the goals today -we can but hope - Kanoute actually looked solid, not injury prone. Taricco finally made one of those speculative shots work. The best defenders were all there and giving good account of themselves. We've got a selection of strikers who can actually score (even when Robbie Keane's away - last year that would have been a disaster). Christ, we even had a midfield!!! Oh yessss)

Mairosu 08-24-03 08:56 PM

Where are you based these days then Mairosu?

(PS God I'm so happy - Spurs actually looked good in the premiership this weekend. Could the seven years of injuries, lack of squad-depth, options across the pitch, and on-and-off flair and fun-to-watch footie be over? Could we be back in consistant flair territory? After the goals today -we can but hope - Kanoute actually looked solid, not injury prone. Taricco finally made one of those speculative shots work. The best defenders were all there and giving good account of themselves. We've got a selection of strikers who can actually score (even when Robbie Keane's away - last year that would have been a disaster). Christ, we even had a midfield!!! Oh yessss)
Gent, Belgium.

(PS. Again a one-in-a-six start. We-he-****ing-hey.)

Golgot 08-24-03 09:02 PM

You've won one of six? (well - we just ended a run of about ten league games without a goal [i think] - counting the end of last season. Abysmal end. Hilarious start tho - last season we were top - mainly coz our (when-fit) surreal midfield talisman is ex-scouser/Liverpool Redknapp - who kept spooning hilarious accidental goals and passes. We were top for the first few weeks til he got injured :rolleyes: - still ,he played a blinder yesterday. Lovely distribution)

Mairosu 08-24-03 09:08 PM

Nah, I meant one point from the opening six. Fills you with confidence.

As for Redders, he should be blamed for increasing the unemployment rates in the northwest - the moment he bolted for London, the NHS inevitably had to lay off all those extra hospital workers.

Seriously, the guy's good for maybe 4 games per season. I was quite keen on Spurs at one point because they resemble a medical miracle - Redknapp AND Dazza Anderton in one team. Honestly, their insurance bill has to be going through the roof with those two around.

Golgot 08-24-03 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mairosu
Nah, I meant one point from the opening six. Fills you with confidence.

As for Redders, he should be blamed for increasing the unemployment rates in the northwest - the moment he bolted for London, the NHS inevitably had to lay off all those extra hospital workers.

Seriously, the guy's good for maybe 4 games per season. I was quite keen on Spurs at one point because they resemble a medical miracle - Redknapp AND Dazza Anderton in one team. Honestly, their insurance bill has to be going through the roof with those two around.
Heheheh - i'm still waiting for our sponser to change to a private-health-clinic.

Yeah, i'm probably going over the top - we've often put in some really polished/ near-top-level-looking performances like this in recent years. It's the very fact that those performances are so flashy in some ways that you feel there can't be that much steel behind it. And again, we do lack a real Roy-Keane-style stopper who can also create (so glad to see the new transfers working out tho and some dead wood gone - even if keeping Teddy would have been nice)

In fact - i can't even remember who was in the holding role yesterday. But some of our bargain-basement flair players have been freed up, like Simon Davis etc. He can really complement what looked like a good roving n flexible mid-field now. And Carr is just quality getting down the right.

Erm, ok, that's enough now probably ;) - but i could wax lyrical about the Kanoute goal - a little touch over his shoulder, then an amzing hip-twisting scissor-kick/volley afair that did NOT look like the work of a dodgy man. Postiga -the portuguese striker, looked promising too.

Oh well - potential top-eight beckons again ;) - You never know tho...you never know ;)

Who's the big news in Gent btw? (don't worry - we won't be buying them - Spurs's back room has been cut to shreds. It's make or break time really)

firegod 08-26-03 10:44 AM

Rugby was called "football" before American style football was invented. So blame them, not Americans.

Mairosu 08-26-03 11:01 AM

Who's the big news in Gent btw? (don't worry - we won't be buying them - Spurs's back room has been cut to shreds. It's make or break time really)
Eh, the local lads won one belgian cup about five centuries ago, so football-wise, this town is nothing spectacular.

Golgot 08-26-03 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by firegod
Rugby was called "football" before American style football was invented. So blame them, not Americans.
Who? The Rugbians?

Have you seen the size of those people? ;)

firegod 08-26-03 06:38 PM

Who? The Rugbians?

Have you seen the size of those people? ;)
And man are they TOUGH. I imagine if I gave one of those guys a Tae Kwon Do kick to the head, he would just laugh his ass off.

nebbit 08-26-03 06:46 PM

And man are they TOUGH. I imagine if I gave one of those guys a Tae Kwon Do kick to the head, he would just laugh his ass off.
I really think that Aussie rugby League players are tougher than USA guys, the Aussie's don't wear any padding, they just tackle and bash into each other and get up and continue with the game, "Come on Aussie's Come on" :yup: :rotfl:

Mairosu 08-26-03 06:48 PM

...but the All Blacks are still the cream of the rugby world.

firegod 08-26-03 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by nebbit
I really think that Aussie rugby League players are tougher than USA guys, the Aussie's don't wear any padding, they just tackle and bash into each other and get up and continue with the game, "Come on Aussie's Come on" :yup: :rotfl:
I didn't even know we HAD rugby here. But as tough as Ausie players are, they'd have about 15 to 20 injuries a game if they hit each other as hard as NFL players do without any padding. The NFL guys could take off the pads, and SOME of them could play nonstop like rugby, but they would have to slow the game down to rugby speed to keep from literally killing themselves.

Revenant 08-26-03 06:51 PM

Our English Lions might have something to say about that.

Mairosu 08-26-03 06:57 PM

Our English Lions might have something to say about that.
Two straight wins are not enough to forget the memorable 64-22 and 40-10 drubbings back in '98.

nebbit 08-26-03 07:00 PM

Weeeeeellll yes they are, but one day the aussie's will come back, that is what my husband beleives, "he's dreaming" :D

nebbit 08-26-03 07:05 PM

I didn't even know we HAD rugby here. But as tough as Ausie players are, they'd have about 15 to 20 injuries a game if they hit each other as hard as NFL players do without any padding. The NFL guys could take off the pads, and SOME of them could play nonstop like rugby, but they would have to slow the game down to rugby speed to keep from literally killing themselves.
Come on we have Rugby League
Rugby Union
Aussie Rules
Soccer

You are probably right about the strength of the USA players, but I was only being sarcastic, you know sort of joking :blush:

Golgot 08-26-03 09:02 PM

slim swerver gets date-line-ish

They'd eat your foot. ;)

Fortunately (well not for him :( ) someone died playing rugby at my school 80 years before i turned up - so we didn't play it til i was leaving. I'm the slim and nippy type (but muscley - honest. It just looks ridiculous tho - coz i've got zero fat content. I look like a less-worked out bruce lee [honest again - well, that's what people say :rolleyes: maybe they're afraid i'll talk more voodoo mysticism to them if they don't complement me ;)]. Damn that fast metabolism ;)) Anyways, i just used to throw the ball over my shoulder and leg it when it came my way. 1 metre 80 of 55 kgs don't hang around for nobody ;)

Damn, given a mental image away. Ah well :rolleyes:

Mairosu 08-28-03 05:37 PM

*bump* Zero goals in three bloody games and two points. Now that's what I call a succesfull league start ! OH JOY !

Golgot 08-28-03 05:43 PM

Ahh, we nil-nil-ed with your luvly-pudlians. That'll do for another mid-table spurs season :rolleyes: (europe-this-season, europe-this-season. Britain must become part of europe this season ;))

Revenant 08-28-03 05:46 PM

*bump* Zero goals in three bloody games and two points. Now that's what I call a succesfull league start ! OH JOY !
My team Aston Villa has only 1 point in three games. The bad thing is Villa tends to go down hill during the second half of the season so things are looking pretty dim.

Still I've got my alternate teams (yes I support more) one in each division, West Ham (dv1), Peterborough (dv2), Leyton Orient (dv3) and Dagenham and Redbridge (c). Aston Villa's still my main team though. West Hams the local club, Peterborough's where I was born, Leyton Orient is the family team and the Daggers well the're near-by, I just love the club.

Golgot 08-28-03 05:56 PM

Heheheh - Barnet's my local little-un, but they've just sold off their entire team (and even taken on a guy i play with!!!! They must be desperate! They let some local business man pay 8,500 to play for five minutes in a friendly with arsenal - something like that anyway. Still, best pitch ever - on a slope. Been to some quality games there)

They used to yo-yo up and down the leagues with my birth-town team: colchester. Ah, those were the days. Successful-ish spurs and two back-up teams doing entertaining things.

Mairosu 08-30-03 08:46 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about. Three goals in Everton's net, at Goodison no less, and what a game by Harry Kewell.

And it also seems that Spurs are back to normal (read midtable mediocrity). Flat 0:3 at home to Fulham, man who would expect that...only just about everyone who ever followed them for the past decade :D

Golgot 09-04-03 10:41 AM

heheheh - the return to the good-old-days had to happen ;) - we shall see we shall see (a middle table place again - gah - it was more fun when we were near relegation for a few years ;))

Europe this year! - i demand the chance to see us get knocked out in the second round of the UEFA again. That's the kind of mediocrity spurs aspires to :yup:

Ah well, at least the flair-days look like they're back. Now we can boss liverpool off the pitch in midfield things aren't looking too bad ;)

nebbit 09-04-03 11:26 PM

Horaaaaaaaay Australia, the venue of the world cup. :D

Revenant 09-06-03 04:54 PM

England/Macedonia result below........

WARNING: "football results lie within" spoilers below
GO ENGLAND! WOOHOO!

England 2 Macedonia 1

Not a convincing win but a win nonetheless.

The violence has got to be sorted out though. England are getting a raw deal, and as for the racist chants, what is with those ignorant idiots? The booing was bad and worst of all, the flag burning. It's things like that which accentuate the problem. Also the England fans should have never traveled to the match it is only going to add to our bad reputation which is a little overblown as it is.

Revenge of Mr M 09-30-03 10:50 AM

I support Manchester United and Barnet (thanks to Championship Manager) Barnet may be desperate, but they seem to be winning a whole lot, and might just clinch a play off place; with regards the squad, it was less a case of money, more a case of getting rid of the dead wood; I think it was seven of the first team who were sold into the higher divisions (Heald, Harrison, Agogo, Purser, Brown, Doolan and Gower, the rest, about 12 or so, got dumped on free transfers (although for some of them, that was because they wanted to take up a second profession)

Spurs are currently managerless... wonder who'll take charge.

Golgot 10-06-03 12:59 PM

Pleat'll do for now :) (and we did supposedly strip our backroom bare over the summer - so mebe a bit of scrimping and saving is in order. It's not like we need anyone orchestrating the scouting right now - there's no more cash ;)). Still, a very useful looking front line, some intriguing attacking possibilities in midfield, the defence happier in a 4 4 2, and a nice little 3-0 against everton. Even Anderton fulfilled his knock-kneed promise (bless im). That'll do nicely.

And aha! This explains the barnet thing! You don't live near them then? (they're my nearest club, but i've only been a few times. Mind you, only been to the Lane once ;) I'm a pub-chair fan) I assumed you were from manchester (what was i thinking? You might as well have been Thai ;))

Some guy i play footy with disappeared recently, claiming he'd been signed up by the Bees. About 2 months back or so, when some big changes were going on (and that bloke paid to play the last 5 mins against the Arse or something). We called him Sis most of the time - no idea what his real name is (might well be Asis or something - he's a stocky turkish lad. Good skills and strength, but selfish brain. No surprise that my mate says he hasn't noticed anyone like that even on the bench. It'd be funny tho if he does turn up)

Revenant 10-10-03 08:18 PM

England vs Turkey.

Lets hope its a clear cut game with no problems and that England turn out the natural and superior victors, without being expelled because of mindless thugs and unnecessary poiltical interference. :D

Golgot 10-12-03 03:55 PM

we were superiorally thuggish ;)

(well, actually, Gerrard's dive for the penalty was quite ingenious and sneaky ;))

Nah, that'll do. And it lines up a possible Welsh Turkey clash. I'd like to see that :yup: - Coz Wales vs Holland i wouldn't see (coz i'd just cover my eyes all the way through)

Revenant 10-12-03 07:37 PM

(well, actually, Gerrard's dive for the penalty was quite ingenious and sneaky ;))
I wouldn't call it a dive. Both Turkish payers went to trip him,naughty, naughty. Beckham was unlucky with the penalty and all those turks that celberated got their deserts.

As for the Turkey players that was not diving either, it was more of a case of trying out for clown college.
Ooooh, I hurt my leg.
Ouch, you meany.
Ahhh, what was that for?
Eeek, I landed on my tooshie.

Also well done to those men and woman who guarded and worked to ensure that this was a pleasant game without fans louting around, and without resorting to violence.

The game was marred though by no goal (forgivable, a draw is as good as a win) and Alpay's pathetic and childish attempts at half time to rile up Becks. He said he wanted to be the peace maker before the match. :rolleyes:

All I can say is phew! That was one nerve inducing game.

Scotland still have a chance too, so go Scotland!

Piddzilla 10-12-03 08:36 PM

I just hope that Turkey doesn't make it to the finals. Sweden and Turkey always end up in the same group for some reason and the turks mean trouble for us.

Revenant 10-12-03 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I just hope that Turkey doesn't make it to the finals. Sweden and Turkey always end up in the same group for some reason and the turks mean trouble for us.
Turkey in football is just trouble, full stop.

Golgot 10-12-03 09:06 PM

Turkey in football is just trouble, full stop.
They can be quite good. That's the problem ;)

Piddzilla 10-12-03 09:34 PM

They can be quite good. That's the problem ;)
Exactly. They can be really good...

Golgot 10-13-03 09:49 AM

What you need is a non-stop mid-field blocker with a silly name like our fella "Butt" ;) [and someone like the man i like to call Gerrardinyo. That man has the traditional british leg-breaking ethic coupled with some real moves.]

But what am i saying? You guys were one of our "bogey" teams for a long time. (But you owe us for spanking Denmark in the world cup ;) - you have to lose gracefully to us next time to repay the debt ;))

Revenge of Mr M 10-13-03 09:57 AM

Euro 2004 Play-Off Draws

Latvia v Turkey
Scotland v Holland
Croatia v Slovenia
Russia v Wales
Spain v Norway

I'd say Turkey would be mighty embarassed if they didn't make it through that. As for Scotland... sayonara...

Golgot 10-13-03 10:03 AM

Ahhhh, thank F my little Welsh compatriots didn't get the Dutch or the Spanish (can't BELIEVE what's happened to the spanish! This must mean they're going to storm it in the finals for a change! Mind you, i can't believe what's happened to Wales either!)

It's gotta be a near all-british affair. The Welsh deserve it. Giggsy deserves it. And the world might even find another group of derangedly passionate celts an acceptable substitute for the Irish :)

Piddzilla 10-13-03 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Revenge of Mr M
Euro 2004 Play-Off Draws

Latvia v Turkey
Scotland v Holland
Croatia v Slovenia
Russia v Wales
Spain v Norway

I'd say Turkey would be mighty embarassed if they didn't make it through that. As for Scotland... sayonara...
I can't believe the luck of the turks. Then again, I can't believe Sweden lost against Latvia in the last qualification game.

Scotland are in deep ****, true. But the dutch team has ****ed up before. Where will the game be played?

Croatia v Slovenia. Oh, this one will be tight. I saw Slovenia in, was it the last World Cup or the last European Cup, and they really made an impression on me. Croatia.. are they as good as they used to be? Tight game.

Russia v Wales. Another real tight one and I am really hoping that Wales and Giggs will make it to the finals this time. It will be one more attraction with Giggs in the tournament. Who needs Russia anyway.

Spain will probably beat my norwegian neighbors. But Norway has some good players. But Spain belongs in the final tournament.

Can someone explain to me why France had to qualify even though they are reigning champs? Cause they are, right?

LordSlaytan 10-13-03 10:38 PM

Also, I consider American 'Football' :skeptical: just the safer and far more boring version of Rugby. In Rugby we don't need no silly protective padding. It is a contact sport after all.
OMG!!! I am so sick of people saying that absolutely ridiculous statement. How would you like to be hit hard and thrown to the ground by a 6'5" 350 pond man running at full speed? WITHOUT PROTECTION???? GOD!!!

Revenge of Mr M 10-14-03 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I can't believe the luck of the turks. Then again, I can't believe Sweden lost against Latvia in the last qualification game.

Scotland are in deep ****, true. But the dutch team has ****ed up before. Where will the game be played?

Croatia v Slovenia. Oh, this one will be tight. I saw Slovenia in, was it the last World Cup or the last European Cup, and they really made an impression on me. Croatia.. are they as good as they used to be? Tight game.

Russia v Wales. Another real tight one and I am really hoping that Wales and Giggs will make it to the finals this time. It will be one more attraction with Giggs in the tournament. Who needs Russia anyway.

Spain will probably beat my norwegian neighbors. But Norway has some good players. But Spain belongs in the final tournament.

Can someone explain to me why France had to qualify even though they are reigning champs? Cause they are, right?
The games will be played over two legs, home and away, with the first legs as drawn above. Reigning champs have to go through qualification in European Championships. It's a silly rule, but that's the way it is, and has been for a while. Astonishingly, they are now implementing the same rule at the World Cup, so Brazil will have to qualify for Germany 2006.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
OMG!!! I am so sick of people saying that absolutely ridiculous statement. How would you like to be hit hard and thrown to the ground by a 6'5" 350 pond man running at full speed? WITHOUT PROTECTION???? GOD!!!
I'd feel very wet. Ahahaha... that was lame... but so is American football ;D

Golgot 11-17-03 09:39 AM

Actually, that does happen in rugby a fair bit, just not as much. But i think they're a bit chubbier as a rule and don't get up to such high speeds.

Anyways,

Wales triumphantly suppressed the Russians into an away 0-0. Heheheh, makes me think of the Simpsons episode where all the passing just makes the fans riot. (Giggsy might be injured tho. We're doooooomed ;) Actually, we seem to have a bit of a first team these days. Alright midfielders aside from Giggsy. A defense and everything. Unheard of.)

And the scots won 1-0 against the Dutch! Blimey. Could it be a British affair at the Euros? We'll know soon enough. I'll cheer the scots on too, as much as they love to hate the english. Silly buggers. (well, i've got about as much scottish blood as english anyway)

Off to sing in the drizzle, with my frizzle of fused blood (that's my new bastardised term for my mongrel-anglo-celtic nature ;) Tho my mates have forced me to support england primarily [especially in cricket. Bastards ;)])

Revenge of Mr M 11-18-03 10:01 AM

And England lost 3-2 at home to Denmark. At least it was only a friendly. Although, I'm pretty sad to have to say that. The friendly has been really devalued lately, which is sad indeed. What's the point if he's just going to change the whole team before they've had a chance to play a little bitty?
Manchester United are trying to sign Dong Fanzhou, a Chinese striker. Which is good, because we are in desperate need of an extra striker. However, my Toon Army friend is rather more sceptical, claiming the deal is only being worked so we can sell plentiful shirts in China. Well, it can't have been coincidence that I recieved a copy of the club catalogue last week. ;)

nebbit 11-21-03 12:37 AM

GO THE WALLABIES
http://www.cp.org/english/online/ful...02/s110232.jpg

Revenge of Mr M 11-21-03 05:15 AM

53% of Sydney Morning Herald readers believe that England will win by more than 30 points, mwahaha.

Well sad ends for Scotland and Wales although the tournament just wouldn't have been quite the same without the Dutch ;) ) Latvia are in the finals! That's a major shock I have to say.

Golgot 11-21-03 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Revenge of Mr M
53% of Sydney Morning Herald readers believe that England will win by more than 30 points, mwahaha.

Well sad ends for Scotland and Wales although the tournament just wouldn't have been quite the same without the Dutch ;) ) Latvia are in the finals! That's a major shock I have to say.
Bah. Let's not talk football ;) (poor little wales - i'll just haver to adpot latvia as my underdog team then ;))

higgy 05-12-04 02:54 PM

I support Dundee F.C., but like Man City. I don't really like any other sports, except beach soccer, or masters football. I like playing others, but just find them boring to watch.

Golgot 05-25-05 06:55 PM

Ok, thread resurrection.

Anyone just see the Liverpool - AC Milan game?

I belive in miracles. That was drama, that was class :)

(and this from a Spurs fan, whose only hope of Euro football is the fariplay draw ;))

Proper feckin gold-plated entertainment.

And sh*t, i was gonna watch Fellinini's La Strada tonight. Guess it'll have to be tomorrow ;)

EDIT: I'll take my entertainment blood simple and spontaneous for tonight

Tacitus 05-25-05 07:31 PM

Proper wobbly-legged penalty saving japery, I can tell you!

I have the misfortune to be a Glentoran fan but I lived in Liverpool during my college years and went to Anfield many times so they're a team I have a degree of affection for (my Great Uncle played for Everton though, between the wars, so I can talk my way out of most footie-related tension on Merseyside).

A great match, superb comeback, wonderful atmosphere etc though I wonder if they'll be allowed to defend the title? ;)

Well, my back problems started when I was double knee-dropped by a 6 foot 5 Lock by the name of 'Big' Davey Tweed during practice for a 2nd XV match when I was 19. He buys me a pint occasionally in the club, probably out of pity...

Golgot 05-25-05 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Proper wobbly-legged saving japery
Before or after the penalites? ;)

Well, my back problems started when I was double knee-dropped by a 6 foot 5 Lock by the name of 'Big' Davey Tweed
I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted any armour tho - that would've been cheating :rolleyes: (Hell, only time i was on a rugby pitch i gave the ball to whoever was nearest and just ran the other way. But, wait, maybe those are the rules? - Nah, it was coz i was eight stone - and the teams were both a kind of mud-coloured hue ;))

Tacitus 05-25-05 08:32 PM

I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted any armour tho - that would've been cheating )
They wear a bit of protection thesedays, under the shirts, nothing too fancy though.

I went to a 'rugby' school and being a big lump as a teenager didn't have much choice about playing the game. Was never much good though, more brute force and ignorance than skill.

Someone once said that rugby was a game played by hooligans and watched by gentlemen while football was a game played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans.

He'd obviously never seen Lee Bowyer in action. ;)

Golgot 05-25-05 08:42 PM

...while football was a game played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans.

He'd obviously never seen Lee Bowyer in action. ;)
Nice ;)

Although i'm not sure Bowyer even qualifies for the man bit (he looks more like some form of evil overgrown ferret ;))

Soz to hear about your rugby ruckus tho. I only avoided that sh*t by being cack in the first place ;) (and coz they'd banned rugby for years in my school for years - a guy had got his head fatally pronged on the railings at the side of the pitch). Lovely sport. Rather watch it than risk my kidneys amongst it - but that's probably coz i'm theoretically Welsh :).

Tacitus 05-25-05 08:55 PM

A good mate of mine was a pretty handy player, so handy that he got into a selection match for an Ireland tour to Zimbabwe 10ish years back.

Broke his leg in 2 places half way through the game which ended his career, was off work for months and still walks with a limp.

If you're theoretically Welsh I can tell my Matt Dawson story without fear of reprisal then. :D

He goes out with a girl who hails from round these parts and appeared in the local club with her a few months after the World Cup win. Now I always thought he was a cocky so & so on the pitch - he was the same in person.

The same, that is, until a 70 year old rheumatic ex-bank manager called Billy poured a pint over his head. I doubt if Billy's had to buy a drink there since (the whereabouts of Dawson are unknown but he was apparently spotted exchanging wisecracks with a failed Scottish comedian and a leather-skinned friend of Cliff Richard).

Golgot 05-25-05 09:11 PM

(the whereabouts of Dawson are unknown but he was apparently spotted exchanging wisecracks with a failed Scottish comedian and a leather-skinned friend of Cliff Richard).
Ahh, that's what the Englophiles need, Cliff Richard-ites encouraging them on in the rain ;).

Yeah, i never knew how to deal with England winning that last rugby cup. They were still a bunch of triple-chinned tossers after they won :rolleyes:.

It me caught in my own little dilemma: I'm English born, Welsh-and-Australian of blood, and my one cricket-following mate won't even let me support the Aussies when the Ashes are on :rolleyes:. So i've just settled for focusing on footie - with a sliding scale from England to... whoever's doing better out of the Aussies or Wales ;). (Occasionally i support Colchester United as well :))

Tacitus 05-26-05 06:11 AM

Ahh, that's what the Englophiles need, Cliff Richard-ites encouraging them on in the rain ;).
You're not a fan of A Question Of Sport? :D

I've seen Colchester Utd play - my sis used to live there.

Fortunately I don't have any National quandries when it comes to supporting Ireland, though my stepdad comes from Salford and is a rabid Man Utd and England fan which makes the 3 trips to Lansdowne Rd we make each year 'interesting'...

The Ashes might actually be a contest this year, Harmison's form and Freddie's fitness permitting, but I'd go with my heart and support the winning side. :D

Now Cricket's a proper sport...

Golgot 05-26-05 06:52 AM

...I'd go with my heart and support the winning side. :D

Now Cricket's a proper sport...
I don't know what i'll do if England win the Ashes. All my underdog teams are suddenly becoming overdogs ;)

Hondo333 05-26-05 11:48 PM

I don't know what i'll do if England win the Ashes. All my underdog teams are suddenly becoming overdogs ;)
... I don't think you have much to worry about, Your team may be improving, but 'comeon, You still odnt have much of a chance with us.

7thson 05-27-05 02:09 AM

Go Gators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait am I in the right place?

Golgot 05-27-05 06:58 AM

... I don't think you have much to worry about, Your team may be improving, but 'comeon, You still odnt have much of a chance with us.
Your cricketing Empire will fall sir! :p

Originally Posted by 7thson
Go Gators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait am I in the right place?
Yep, i think we're officially re-terming any game with a ball 'football' ;)

Piddzilla 05-27-05 07:58 AM

How about that Champions League final!! My goodness.... Before the game I wanted Milan to win because they've played the most entertaining football. But after the greatest turn-around in history of european cup football I think Liverpool deserve the title one hundred percent. Incredible... That goalie is something else. And the moral and team spirit of Liverpool is amazing...

Golgot 05-27-05 08:08 AM

That might have been the keeper's last game for them too. (Mainly coz he can't hold on to the ball - he gave it to Milan about as often as he saved from them in that game - he's definitely entertaining tho ;)).

I nearly didn't watch the second half. Glad i did :yup::yup::yup:

Tacitus 05-27-05 09:25 AM

That might have been the keeper's last game for them too. (Mainly coz he can't hold on to the ball - he gave it to Milan about as often as he saved from them in that game - he's definitely entertaining tho ;)).

I nearly didn't watch the second half. Glad i did :yup::yup::yup:
He's off I think, there's another keeper on the way apparently (can't remember his name but think he plays in Spain).

Dudek's dodgy but had a heck of a game, much like Lehmann in the FA Cup final. Wouldn't trust him over a whole season. ;)

adidasss 06-05-05 04:33 PM

My football team is the marvellously ****ty Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs), based in London Town. Perhaps we should enter the real debate which is:

When are you guys going to stop using our word? Football, the game of the feet, was named as such first. Later, the name "soccer" was taken from the phrase Association Football. Seeing as it's a superflous secondary term, why don't you guys use it for that funny cissy game you play mainly with the hands? The one where you do actually "sock" each other on a regular basis! You see! It'd make sense!

(ps - i used to like the "soccer" team called the 49ers when i was a young'un)
hehe...yeah, i was gonna say something about that but i see you already have...great game...milan - liverpool....

adidasss 06-05-05 04:38 PM

oh, and i love the way this thread has been violently turned into a footy thread instead of american "football" thread....

Pyro Tramp 06-05-05 05:39 PM

American Football/Football/Rugby

Peeps fav?