Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why was miami vice(2006) so expensive (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60303)

aronisred 11-03-19 12:56 PM

Why was miami vice(2006) so expensive

The budget on that thing is 135 million $. Why was that movie so expensive. None of it takes place in an elaborate set built for the movie or it doesn't have excessive visual effects or anything like that. It is just a bunch of locations that look like natural locations in cities. How did it cost so much ?

Iroquois 11-03-19 12:57 PM

Re: Why was miami vice(2006) so expensive

Mojitos.

Gideon58 11-03-19 02:12 PM

That movie sucked

cricket 11-03-19 02:15 PM

It was the sunglasses:cool:

https://media.timeout.com/images/101.../472/image.jpg

doubledenim 11-03-19 02:40 PM

Craft services

rambond 11-03-19 02:41 PM

the movie definitely sucked

aronisred 11-04-19 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by rambond (Post 2045456)
the movie definitely sucked
it definitely was boring and pointless

Yoda 11-04-19 10:14 AM

Yep, locations. And the leads.

Siddon 11-04-19 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2045433)
The budget on that thing is 135 million $. Why was that movie so expensive. None of it takes place in an elaborate set built for the movie or it doesn't have excessive visual effects or anything like that. It is just a bunch of locations that look like natural locations in cities. How did it cost so much ?

Often times films like that are used to launder money, Michael Mann wrote, directed and produced it so I wonder how many checks he ended up taking. I wouldn't be shocked if half the budget went to Foxx, Farrell, and Mann

JoaoRodrigues 11-04-19 11:11 AM

I liked Miami Vice.

MoreOrLess 11-04-19 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JoaoRodrigues (Post 2045598)
I liked Miami Vice.
I remember thinking it was at least decent, all style relatively to say Collateral but still watchable.

As far as budget and location work goes that depends a lot on the productions and the locations, a high end production with a large crew and a lot of equipment in exotic locations isn't cheap.

JoaoRodrigues 11-04-19 01:14 PM

I liked the overall vibe of the movie Miami Vice, the female actor, also John Ortiz was great, the soundtrack, and I'm a sucker for Cuban, Miami themes. Yes, I also liked Collateral, it's one of the only movies I liked Tom Cruise, and his character is one of my favorite characters ever made in any movie, ever, the subject reminds me in a way of Natural Born Killers, the media dramatization of death to avoid making homicides a banality and turn the exploited against the explorer, pure anarchy, survival-based hierarchies. Collateral made it more soft, more quiet, more jazz, ups and downs, improvisation, no glorification, more existentialist, tried to make it more factual, more reasonable, I like it because of that.

aronisred 11-04-19 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2045582)
Often times films like that are used to launder money, Michael Mann wrote, directed and produced it so I wonder how many checks he ended up taking. I wouldn't be shocked if half the budget went to Foxx, Farrell, and Mann
i didn't know they could do that

Chypmunk 11-04-19 03:09 PM

Clue's in the title - hookers and blow ain't cheap.

MoreOrLess 11-04-19 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by JoaoRodrigues (Post 2045621)
I liked the overall vibe of the movie Miami Vice, the female actor, also John Ortiz was great, the soundtrack, and I'm a sucker for Cuban, Miami themes. Yes, I also liked Collateral, it's one of the only movies I liked Tom Cruise, and his character is one of my favorite characters ever made in any movie, ever, the subject reminds me in a way of Natural Born Killers, the media dramatization of death to avoid making homicides a banality and turn the exploited against the explorer, pure anarchy, survival-based hierarchies. Collateral made it more soft, more quiet, more jazz, ups and downs, improvisation, no glorification, more existentialist, tried to make it more factual, more reasonable, I like it because of that.
I can see why it was mocked a bit, Mann does always take himself SO seriously with his films having very little self awareness. With something like Thief, Heat or Collateral that have a fairly weighty drama I don't think many have a problem with that but here you are talking a pretty standard crime thriller. It does all feel rather like a very corporate kind of coolness its trying to project as well, "the street "via Rolex and Armani.

Again though I don't think it does too much wrong from memory and it does have the classic Mann documentary(he actually started off his career making docs) style to it. That obsession with showing "how things are done" and trying to feed it into the drama.

Siddon 11-04-19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2045631)
i didn't know they could do that

Adam Sandler is notorious for doing this, shooting a cheap movie and cutting huge check to his friends. Our US secretary of the treasury was a hollywood producer who released... King Arthur, Batman V Superman, and Pan all films that look like they've got an extra 100 million dollars in their budget's. Where do you think that money ended up going?

aronisred 11-07-19 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by MoreOrLess (Post 2045647)
I can see why it was mocked a bit, Mann does always take himself SO seriously with his films having very little self awareness. With something like Thief, Heat or Collateral that have a fairly weighty drama I don't think many have a problem with that but here you are talking a pretty standard crime thriller. It does all feel rather like a very corporate kind of coolness its trying to project as well, "the street "via Rolex and Armani.

Again though I don't think it does too much wrong from memory and it does have the classic Mann documentary(he actually started off his career making docs) style to it. That obsession with showing "how things are done" and trying to feed it into the drama.
His style is inherently unsuitable for showing off the budget of the movie. Take something like wolf of wall street , every penny spent on the movie shows on the screen. From the yachts to helicopters to the look and set design of the film. It screams money. Compare that with this movie or even collateral. It just pales in comparison in terms of showing money on the screen. It surprising feels mundane. Insider is also expensive. I dont understand how it can happen.

brenobnfm 11-08-19 12:09 PM

Best Michael Mann movie by far.