Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The 13TH Hall of Fame (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=48960)

Citizen Rules 08-12-17 02:06 PM

You know I expected to hate Buffalo 66, after I read the mini synopsis on IMDB:

After being released from prison, Billy is set to visit his parents with his wife, whom he does not actually have. This provokes Billy to act out, as he kidnaps a girl and forces her to act as his wife for the visit.
As soon as I realized it was a dark comedy, then the personality of what would have been a creepy ex con kidnapping a girl...became enjoyable for me, as I didn't take what I was seeing seriously.

I did feel bad for the kidnapped girl, but only for a few minutes. Then her nonchalant reaction to Galo made it seem OK to me that she was kidnapped, she didn't seem to care either so I didn't respond like it was a real kidnapping.

If she had played the role as a traumatized victim, then I might have felt differently about the movie. But she actually liked Galo, and in the end she was just as messed up as he was. So my positive response to Galo's character was in part do to Christina Ricci reacting positively towards Galo.

Anyway that's the only explanation I have for really liking this film, which I had expected not to like.

I thought it was a fresh & unique indie film, with an unlikable (but very human) protagonist. Come to think of it, it was Galo's very realistic qualities that I liked the most.

edarsenal 08-12-17 02:39 PM

Re: The 13TH Hall of Fame

I enjoyed Ricci's acting the first time and this time. She was an excellent counter-balance to Gallo.

Pussy Galore 08-12-17 03:31 PM

Here's my list, I enjoyed 13 out of the 14 films I watched which is quite a fantastic ratio.

01. Dead Poet's Society (14)
02. Captain Fantastic (13)
03. Dances with Wolves (12)
04. Forbidden Games (11) (very surprising it's this high considering I hated it the first time I watched it)
05. The Broken Circle Breakdown (10)
06. Manchester By The Sea (9)
07. The Marriage of Maria Braun (8)
08. Wings of Desire (7)
09. The Great Dictator (6)
10. The Quiet Earth (5)
11. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...And Spring (4)
12. The Three Musketeers (3)
13. Nightmare Alley (2)
14. Buffalo '66 (1)

ScarletLion 08-12-17 03:35 PM

Great job everyone. Nice HOF. Found some great films and pretty much agreed with the final list too.

edarsenal 08-12-17 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pussy Galore (Post 1753554)
04. Forbidden Games (11) (very surprising it's this high considering I hated it the first time I watched it)
I EDIT: (I mean WAS not wasn't) VERY surprised by how much I enjoyed this one as well. Caught me pleasantly by surprise

Jeff Costello 08-12-17 03:50 PM

Neat HoF indeed ! It was a bit dissapointing to see the film I placed at #1 ranked so poorly in the overall standings. But hey, this was a collective film watching after all and it was to be expected that the opinions on nominations would be quite diverse. Either way I got a chance to see a couple of films that I wouldn't normally give a chance to and meanwhile I discovered a few favourites. That's pretty much what I hoped this tournament would achieve for me.

Citizen Rules 08-12-17 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Costello (Post 1753566)
Neat HoF indeed ! It was a bit dissapointing to see the film I placed at #1 ranked so poorly in the overall standings....
Which film was it?

Jeff Costello 08-12-17 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1753619)
Which film was it?
The Three Musketeers.

Citizen Rules 08-12-17 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Costello (Post 1753654)
The Three Musketeers.
You're in good company MarkF is fond of that movie.

The way I like to look at the Hofs is like a beauty contest. No matter how beautiful a girl is in a beauty contest, they all can't win! and somebody has to score lowest. :)

Jeff Costello 08-12-17 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1753680)

The way I like to look at the Hofs is like a beauty contest. No matter how beautiful a girl is in a beauty contest, they all can't win! and somebody has to score lowest. :)
Haha, that's a nice analogy.

edarsenal 08-13-17 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1753680)

I like that - very lovely thought

and THANK YOU Jeff for putting Three Musketeers at #1. No matter where I place, even at the bottom or d@mn near if someone enjoys it, that will do just fine ;)

Sarge 08-13-17 04:02 AM

This was me

01. Dances with Wolves (14)
02. Dead Poets Society (13)
03. Manchester by the Sea (12)
04. The Broken Circle Breakdown (11)
05. Buffalo 66 (10)
06. Captain Fantastic (9)
07. The Great Dictator (8)
08. The Marriage of Maria Braun (7)
09. Forbidden Games (6)
10. Nightmare Alley (5)
11. Wings of Desire (4)
12. Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring (3)
13. The Three Musketeers (2)
14. Quiet Earth (1)

SilentVamp 08-16-17 12:11 PM

I know I am coming in late with this (I am a little slow with catching up with everything at the moment), but this was my list:

1. Dead Poets Society
2. The Great Dictator
3. Dances With Wolves
4. Buffalo '66
5. Manchester By the Sea

6. The Hunt
7. Captain Fantastic
8. The Marriage of Maria Braun
9. The Broken Circle Breakdown
10. The Three Musketeers
11. Wings of Desire
12. Nightmare Alley
13. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
14. Forbidden Games
15. The Quiet Earth

16. Flesh and Blood

It is a shame that The Hunt was disqualified because I really liked that one. And I couldn't care less that Flesh and Blood was, but it cost me money to watch it. So that is what upsets me the most about having wasted the time watching it.

rauldc14 08-16-17 07:01 PM

As I said previously, Hall of Fame 14 thread starts tomorrow! Yee haw!

edarsenal 08-16-17 07:59 PM

SWEET
I had one nom originally, and now I'm on the fence about it. But I WILL have one

Yam12 08-17-17 08:55 AM

Cool

I'm thinking of joining one of these and I already have a nomination in mind

neiba 08-27-17 09:26 AM

So, just writing this to say i'm sorry to everyone involved in this, especially @Miss Vicky who finished this. I should hv said smthing when I disappeared and I didn't.
I read that Camo went away, I'm sorry about that, he was a great poster.

Don't worry, I won't join a HoF soon, till I'm not 100% sure I can do it...
And congrats to Dances with Wolves and Miss Vicky, great movie! :)

Camo 08-27-17 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by neiba (Post 1763232)
So, just writing this to say i'm sorry to everyone involved in this, especially @Miss Vicky who finished this. I should hv said smthing when I disappeared and I didn't.
I read that Camo went away, I'm sorry about that, he was a great poster.

Don't worry, I won't join a HoF soon, till I'm not 100% sure I can do it...
And congrats to Dances with Wolves and Miss Vicky, great movie! :)
I'm here dawg ;). Glad to see you back. That's the first you haven't finished out of 20 or something so i don't think anyone is sore about it.

neiba 08-27-17 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1763234)
I'm here dawg ;). Glad to see you back. That's the first you haven't finished out of 20 or something so i don't think anyone is sore about it.
Then I'm sorry to you too! :)

Thanks dude, glad you're back too! :)

Miss Vicky 08-27-17 11:21 AM

Glad to see you back. I wasn't angry about you not finishing, more disappointed that I had to disqualify The Hunt and concerned about you.