Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How to move to Canada and become a Canadian citizen (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47218)

TONGO 11-09-16 12:28 PM

How to move to Canada and become a Canadian citizen

If the race between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump has you feeling disillusioned with American democracy, you may find yourself imagining a move to Canada.

After all, it's a land where healthcare is free, people are friendly, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau explains quantum computing just for laughs.

But actually becoming a citizen is tough: You need to live in Canada for at least six years, stay on your best behavior, and know a thing or two about the country you'll soon call home.

For those who actually want to head up north, here's how you move to Canada.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...dian-citizen-1

;)

Topsy 11-09-16 12:30 PM

Re: How to move to Canada and become a Canadian citizen

I`d do it!

CosmicRunaway 11-09-16 12:42 PM

That article promotes incorrect information. These are the actual requirements:

01. Know what a double double is.
02. Own a toque.
03. Have, on at least one occasion, attempted to take the centre out of a toonie.
04. Apologize all the time for no reason.
05. At least know how to mumble the French parts of Oh Canada.
06. Know how to build an igloo.
07. Must be able to come up with at least one dumb Newfie joke.
08. Know what the "All Dressed" flavour of chips tastes like.

Movie Max 11-09-16 12:49 PM

Why do I get the impression that your best and most patriotic are staying put? Especially after yesterday's show of unity and strength. Just like they have stayed put through so many other presidents, who may not have been their favorites.

Sexy Celebrity 11-09-16 12:50 PM

TONGO, will you also be moving to another forum?

Yoda 11-09-16 12:53 PM

Everywhere you go, there will be lots of people you disagree with. I'd rather live in a place with a long history of duking those differences out, that's literally based on diversity, than bounce from place to place trying to temporarily avoid those confrontations.

America will probably be fine, and if it isn't, it's for reasons that aren't going to be relegated to it, anyway.

TONGO 11-09-16 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1604891)
Everywhere you go, there will be lots of people you disagree with. I'd rather live in a place with a long history of duking those differences out, that's literally based on diversity, than bounce from place to place trying to temporarily avoid those confrontations.

America will probably be fine, and if it isn't, it's for reasons that aren't going to be relegated to it, anyway.
Im a caretaker for my Mom, I cant leave her, but yeah this is on a level of disgust in my own countrymen to where I would seriously consider it if I could.

Swan 11-09-16 01:08 PM

Nah. I sympathize with the desire but I actually don't feel it myself. On the contrary, I feel more compelled than ever to start being more informed and active about this country.

CiCi 11-09-16 01:13 PM

I'd love to live there for a while, I'm considering going to BC to study abroad for a semester. I speak a bit of French as well!! Not Quebecois French though :D

TONGO 11-09-16 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1604900)
Nah. I sympathize with the desire but I actually don't feel it myself. On the contrary, I feel more compelled than ever to start being more informed and active about this country.
Good man. Yeah its too soon for me to honestly say Im over it, but I will be. Im not gonna go forward all bitter and upset like ...well, like I have been throughout this election. Sure I had damn good reason, but its done. Im letting it go now for my own well being. ;)

Captain Steel 11-09-16 01:55 PM

I'm moving... back to the bedroom!

Citizen Rules 11-09-16 02:03 PM

I like Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada myself.

Movie Max 11-16-16 08:28 AM

First, get to know your vintage beer commercials...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMxGVfk09lU

CiCi 11-16-16 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1604931)
I like Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada myself.
No way, I'm considering going to Victoria University for my second year!

earlsmoviepicks 11-16-16 08:32 AM

I'd go if I could see Lena Dunham chopping down a tree

Guaporense 11-16-16 07:43 PM

You can try moving to Mexico if you think Canadian citizenship is hard. ��

Derek Vinyard 11-16-16 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by CiCi (Post 1604901)
I'd love to live there for a while, I'm considering going to BC to study abroad for a semester. I speak a bit of French as well!! Not Quebecois French though :D
Tabarnack! you should.

Guaporense 11-16-16 07:50 PM

People are really overreacting with Trump. The US is a country with strong institutions so it's not like Trump will have dictatorial powers and if he starts doing a lot of stupid stuff he will be impeached. Anyway, the president will not be able to affect your daily life significantly: His powers are not unlimited.

Citizen Rules 11-16-16 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by CiCi (Post 1604901)
Originally Posted by CiCi (Post 1607567)
No way, I'm considering going to Victoria University for my second year!
Victoria is an awesome city, I've visited several times, loved it and the surrounding area is very cool too. No French required in B.C.:p English helps though:)

Camo 11-16-16 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 1607751)
People are really overreacting with Trump. The US is a country with strong institutions so it's not like Trump will have dictatorial powers and if he starts doing a lot of stupid stuff he will be impeached. Anyway, the president will not be able to affect your daily life significantly: His powers are not unlimited.
Sorry for the off-topic post but what is your avatar? haha