Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Feature: Seen Log (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58277)

Yoda 11-19-18 11:25 AM

New Feature: Seen Log

The MoFos have spoken. I asked you guys what feature you wanted to see next, and you were surprisingly clear that you wanted a way to view/search/sort all the films you've seen, so here you go:

Seen Log

EDIT: suggestions are very, very welcome, but please make sure to read the next post to avoid suggesting things already noted. It's nice and short, and there's a really good chance it contains your suggestion, since this feature is missing a couple of things which are pretty obviously a good idea but I couldn't quite get to in time. Thank you!

Yoda 11-19-18 11:27 AM

Re: New Feature: Seen Log

Some general notes:

What I Need

First thing is: tell me if something doesn't work. That's top priority. Second thing is: tell me if something is really confusing or unintuitive. Also, it can be helpful to know the opposite: IE, if you wanted something and it was exactly where you expected it, so I know not to change it. :laugh:

Functionality

Most of the things most of you are going to suggest have probably been considered and are already on the to-do list. Specifically, the ability to add new films from this page and the ability to modify rating from the overlay. I originally wanted to let people change their rating right from the log itself in the same mouseover style as the individual movie pages, but that was tricky enough that it might have delayed the release a bit, so I decided to launch without it and work on it later. Also probably going to let the Title/Poster View choice persist across visits.

Integration

I haven't decided where to link this from yet. To start, I'll just link it from the User CP, and possibly the profile (it'll definitely end up there in some form, just not sure how yet). In order to make the best decisions about how to integrate this, I need to see how people end up using this, and the site as a whole. If the site is mostly the same but people just add to this now and then, integration should be modest. If, on the other hand, people want to add films continuously and/or right away as soon as they log on, then maybe that calls for tight integration into the header to make it really quick and easy. Don't know yet!

The Rodent 11-19-18 11:32 AM

Replace the "Forums" link, top middle, between "Reviews" and "Lists".
As at the moment there's MoFo's title at the top, MoFo's logo top left, and that Forums link in the middle as well. Basically 3 clickers that do the same thing :)

Yoda 11-19-18 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1968655)
Replace the "Forums" link, top middle, between "Reviews" and "Lists".
As at the moment there's MoFo's title at the top, MoFo's logo top left, and that Forums link in the middle as well. Basically 3 clickers that do the same thing :)
Yeah, I've wondered about this for other areas. Though I'm consistently surprised at how people don't realize those are clickable. There was some user (I don't remember who, I'm not sparing their feelings or anything :laugh:) who had been here for years and one day was just like "oh wow, clicking the logo takes you to the home page!"

But it's not a great use of real estate, for the reason you mention. The bigger issues, perhaps, are a) I'm mostly out of colors and b) I'm not sure if it merits that spot. If logging films turns out to be people's first priority and their entry point into the site, then it's worthwhile. Otherwise I'd rather attach it to profiles and the bar just below the nav or something, since that space at the top is so valuable.

The Rodent 11-19-18 11:39 AM

I've already saved is as a favourite on my toolbar anyways along with clubs and the members list :laugh:

One thing I was gonna say, on the ratings on the right, I can't change my ratings from there... I can remove my rating completely on a movie, but not change it unless I go into the movie's page and do it there?
And, where it says "NO RATING", which is basically saying I've marked it as "seen" but not rated it yet (which is on quite a few movies I've marked as seen), it would be cool if I could add a rating there and then instead of having to go to each movie's page too.

Yoda 11-19-18 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1968659)
One thing I was gonna say, on the ratings on the right, I can't change my ratings from there... I can remove my rating completely on a movie, but not change it unless I go into the movie's page and do it there?
Yeah, that's what I meant by this part:
I originally wanted to let people change their rating right from the log itself in the same mouseover style as the individual movie pages, but that was tricky enough that it might have delayed the release a bit, so I decided to launch without it and work on it later.
I think the script I'm using is meant to be used once per page, but I'll have to take a closer look. I decided to try it in case it wasn't hard, turned out it was hard, didn't wanna delay for another week or two while I fiddle with it. I figure ratings aren't gonna change much anyway, it'll mostly be used for films people forgot to rate. I think that'll become very rare as possible use this, though. It'll mostly be an initial thing when they first use it. Hopefully.

The Rodent 11-19-18 11:43 AM

My bad, I was scan-reading and missed that.

Yoda 11-19-18 11:45 AM

No worries, I only quoted myself because as I wrote it I wasn't sure it was clear what I meant, anyway, and wanted to be clearer in case anyone had the same idea.

The Rodent 11-19-18 11:47 AM

Just did a check on stuff as well to see if I could break something...

My entry for We Need To Talk About Kevin was "unrated"... went in to the movie's page, rated it, refreshed the "Seen Log" page... and it now has that rating... so it's working fine this end :)

Chypmunk 11-19-18 12:55 PM

Very nice - only thing I'd mention (and you can almost certainly shoot straight down lol) is that if looking at it in 'Poster' View it would be nice if the rating was also somehow displayed on mouseover (I do know we can click on the poster to go to the individual movie page just would be more expeditious I think).

edit: I lied when I said "only thing" ..... more a question/observation - is there a specific reason page 1 only has 49 films as opposed to 50 like the other full pages?

Citizen Rules 11-19-18 01:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice job Yoda:up: Me like!

I haven't spent much time on the Seen Log but one thing I noticed:

How the View Changer is now, for me the symbols aren't intuitive....
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=49748

How the View Changer would look with text and not symbols...
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=49749

TheUsualSuspect 11-19-18 01:06 PM

Do people click on the Box-Office link? Just wondering.

Citizen Rules 11-19-18 01:07 PM

I've used the Seen Log and added ratings to the first couple movies, which takes me to the Individual Movie Page. It would be nice if there was a return link to the Seen Log on the Individual Movie Pages.

...and or it might be useful if we could rate the movie right on the Seen Log without the need to load the Individual Movie Pages each time. I'm trying to rate what I've seen and I can tell it will take some time.

TheUsualSuspect 11-19-18 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1968691)
I've used the Seen Log and added ratings to the first couple movies, which takes me to the Individual Movie Page. It would be nice if there was a return link to the Seen Log on the Individual Movie Pages.

...and or it might be useful if we could rate the movie right on the Seen Log without the need to load the Individual Movie Pages each time. I'm trying to rate what I've seen and I can tell it will take some time.
I was literally going to say these two points.

TheUsualSuspect 11-19-18 01:20 PM

Maybe a total seen count somewhere?

Chypmunk 11-19-18 01:25 PM

Another comment: IF this ends up being linked from/to the user profile please make it so it's personal and not accessible to all.

I'll wind me neck in now - promise :)

Yoda 11-19-18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1968688)
Very nice - only thing I'd mention (and you can almost certainly shoot straight down lol) is that if looking at it in 'Poster' View it would be nice if the rating was also somehow displayed on mouseover (I do know we can click on the poster to go to the individual movie page just would be more expeditious I think).
Yeah, I was wondering about this. I might be able to do that by making them smaller. I'll give it a go. The original thought was that Poster View is more for seeing your viewing at a glance, and Title View is for the details, but I can probably get some more info into the former.

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1968688)
edit: I lied when I said "only thing" ..... more a question/observation - is there a specific reason page 1 only has 49 films as opposed to 50 like the other full pages?
Hmmm, no. I'm seeing 50. I'll try it "as you." Best guess is you marked something seen which maybe got removed or didn't mark right, so it's counting against the entry total but not displaying.

Yoda 11-19-18 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1968689)
How the View Changer would look with text and not symbols...
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=49749
I'll give this a think/try. I originally used those icons when I was trying to cram all the options into one little area, but I guess it's not necessary now...though it may become necessary again as I add stuff. Text isn't as attractive or compact, but I agree it's better for actual usability, which needs to take priority. I think I read that an icon with text produces the best overall results, so I'll probably do that. Thanks for the suggestion. :up:

The Rodent 11-19-18 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1968697)
Another comment: IF this ends up being linked from/to the user profile please make it so it's personal and not accessible to all.

I'll wind me neck in now - promise :)

Don't do this, Yods. I want to see everything Chypmunk has seen and rated.
Everything.

Yoda 11-19-18 01:36 PM

Re: rating right from the log. Mentioned in the second post, then quoted again later! I love feedback, but please do make sure it's not already addressed in that second post, so I can avoid referring back to it over and over.

Re: total count. Yeah, I should've written that down, too. For now, you can mouseover the pagination in the top right corner.

@Chypmunk: you mean you don't want people to see your seen log, or something else? I assumed people would specifically want that out there, much like the Lists thing. I think, at most, I'd give people an option to hide it if they want, but I think it should probably be viewable by default. Let me know if you meant something else.

The Rodent 11-19-18 01:39 PM

Funny thing is, I'm looking at the pages now, and I can't find where I could even find what anyone else has Seen and Rated.

Yoda 11-19-18 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1968690)
Do people click on the Box-Office link? Just wondering.
I don't track clicks there, so I'm not sure. It's kind of an artifact from older versions of the site, though it is totally up to-date. I do think it'll probably get replaced, or more likely folded into an expanded Movies area.

Yoda 11-19-18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1968708)
Funny thing is, I'm looking at the pages now, and I can't find where I could even find what anyone else has Seen and Rated.
Yeah, as of right now, there's no way to see anyone's other than your own. Gonna open that up when I figure out how I want to integrate it into profiles, I think. It'll probably be pretty prominent, maybe replace the "years here" box since that doesn't seem terribly important.

Chypmunk 11-19-18 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968704)
Yeah, I was wondering about this. I might be able to do that by making them smaller. I'll give it a go. The original thought was that Poster View is more for seeing your viewing at a glance, and Title View is for the details, but I can probably get some more info into the former.
No biggie if it's problematic.

Hmmm, no. I'm seeing 50. I'll try it "as you." Best guess is you marked something seen which maybe got removed or didn't mark right, so it's counting against the entry total but not displaying.
Only noticed it 'cos I went into Poster View - I was in a view sorted by Rating. Just tried again and it now shows all 50 ..... I'll make an appointment at Specsavers lol.

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968707)
@Chypmunk: you mean you don't want people to see your seen log, or something else? I assumed people would specifically want that out there, much like the Lists thing. I think, at most, I'd give people an option to hide it if they want, but I think it should probably be viewable by default. Let me know if you meant something else.
Yeah, I'd like to be able to hide it by choice if you can do that.

Mr Minio 11-19-18 01:51 PM

https://i.imgur.com/B7IuGcl.png

whats goin on

The Rodent 11-19-18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1968715)
Check the movie's actual page and see if you've marked it as Seen.

Miss Vicky 11-19-18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968710)
Maybe replace the "years here" box since that doesn't seem terribly important.
That's one of the first things I look at when I click on someone's profile, but maybe I'm in the minority.

Citizen Rules 11-19-18 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968705)
I'll give this a think/try. I originally used those icons when I was trying to cram all the options into one little area, but I guess it's not necessary now...though it may become necessary again as I add stuff. Text isn't as attractive or compact, but I agree it's better for actual usability, which needs to take priority. I think I read that an icon with text produces the best overall results, so I'll probably do that. Thanks for the suggestion. :up:
I see you added both icons and titles. Maybe it's just me but I think that looks more confusing and somewhat cluttered. Don't get me wrong I think the new Seen List is 99.9% great and will be a neat feature.

Yoda 11-19-18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1968715)
Yeah, what Rodent said: haven't marked it as seen.

Amusingly, one of the very last changes I made before launching was changing "Search" to "Search Log" because I realized the former would probably make people think they could search for any movie.

I'm still thinking about how I want people to be able to add new entries from this page. I might just have a little button next to search that toggles whether you're searching all films or just your log, dunno yet.

Yoda 11-19-18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1968722)
I see you added both icons and titles. Maybe it's just me but I think that looks more confusing and somewhat cluttered. Don't get me wrong I think the new Seen List is 99.9% great and will be a neat feature.
It's not done, I'm adding it and playing with the alignment right now.

Bear with me on this stuff. :laugh:

Citizen Rules 11-19-18 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1968720)
That's one of the first things I look at when I click on someone's profile, but maybe I'm in the minority.
Me too, I look at that all the time, it's useful.

I easily found the link to the Seen Log in my user CP, no problems. And I'm usually clueless and can't find the damn milk in the fridge!:p

Yoda 11-19-18 02:05 PM

I'll give it more of a think. I think it's the least useful of the four, but maybe I can find room for more. Or display the information alongside age or something (and in many cases, just in place of age, since a fair number of people hide that information).

Citizen Rules 11-19-18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968727)
I'll give it more of a think. I think it's the least useful of the four, but maybe I can find room for more. Or display the information alongside age or something (and in many cases, just in place of age, since a fair number of people hide that information).
I know people sometimes hide their age profile, but I find it useful to know if a MoFo is as old as me:p or much younger, so I like that info when available.

The Rodent 11-19-18 02:07 PM

Actually, I'm the same with the Years Here thing. I find it handy when a possible spammer appears, makes it soooo easy to track them as soon as they join.

Chypmunk 11-19-18 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1968706)
Don't do this, Yods. I want to see everything Chypmunk has seen and rated.
Everything.
Mar 1983: Rodent's mum
:p

The Rodent 11-19-18 02:44 PM

Everything!

Chypmunk 11-19-18 02:49 PM

Sadly the courts still won't allow that :shrug:

Mr Minio 11-19-18 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1968717)
Check the movie's actual page and see if you've marked it as Seen.
Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968723)
Yeah, what Rodent said:
Thank you. Now I just feel stupid.

https://i.imgur.com/l5Q9HAN.png

Yoda 11-19-18 03:02 PM

I repped that to indicate I saw it and it's no problem, not because I approved of the idea that you were stupid. Just to be clear. :D

Mr Minio 11-19-18 03:07 PM

I thought you just gave me a rep for this adorable emoji I pasted.

Citizen Rules 11-19-18 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968709)
I don't track clicks there, so I'm not sure. It's kind of an artifact from older versions of the site, though it is totally up to-date. I do think it'll probably get replaced, or more likely folded into an expanded Movies area.
The Business & Box Office Discussion forum doesn't get much use, right now the last post on that forum is 9 days old, so folding it into another forum to make new real estate:up:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968710)
Yeah, as of right now, there's no way to see anyone's other than your own. Gonna open that up when I figure out how I want to integrate it into profiles, I think...
Being able to see other MoFos Seen Log would be very useful for giving people movie recommendations, for sparking conversation about movies, and for HoFs, etc. So I like that idea:up:

Omnizoa 11-19-18 04:44 PM

I noticed it'll date the time I watched the movies based on when I checked them off in Lists if I haven't reviewed them, so it's telling me I've watched half a dozen movies this month when all I did was mark off a few from the Directed by Women Countdown that I know I've seen years ago.

Only a nitpick, but something I noticed.

On another note, a Sort by Date Released would be pretty nifty. I wouldn't care about the month, but if it showed how many movies I've watched from each year, that'd be cool.

Yoda 11-19-18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1968798)
I noticed it'll date the time I watched the movies based on when I checked them off in Lists if I haven't reviewed them, so it's telling me I've watched half a dozen movies this month when all I did was mark off a few from the Directed by Women Countdown that I know I've seen years ago.

Only a nitpick, but something I noticed.
Well, I thought about dispatching drones that registered when you actually saw something, but I figured that might run afoul of a law or two. ;)

But yeah, obviously there's literally no way to know when you actually saw the film. When you clicked it is the only information I have. However, if you click on the titles it brings up an overlay that allows you to change the date.

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1968798)
On another note, a Sort by Date Released would be pretty nifty. I wouldn't care about the month, but if it showed how many movies I've watched from each year, that'd be cool.
This is a very good idea that's very easy to implement. This will happen soon.

I can actually add lots of other sort options, but if I add more than one or two more I'll have to find a way to compress them into that space with something less usable, like a dropdown menu, so we'll see.

Citizen Rules 11-19-18 05:12 PM

I hope this isn't a stupid question and the answer is obvious, but does everybody see the same movies sorted on their Seen Log? I know I can sort it by Title - Rating - Seen

But in the Seen view, the movie list seems to know what I've been watching lately, which was Hof movies. How did it know that? I hadn't rated the first 7 movies until after I looked at the Seen Log.

Yoda 11-19-18 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1968805)
I hope this isn't a stupid question and the answer is obvious, but does everybody see the same movies sorted on their Seen Log?
Nope, it shows the entries for the user viewing it.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1968805)
But in the Seen view, the movie list seems to know what I've been watching lately, which was Hof movies. How did it know that? I hadn't rated the first 7 movies until after I looked at the Seen Log.
The Seen Log draws from films checked off of Lists, films checked off via the individual Movie pages, but the latter happens automatically when we approve one of your reviews (which is a suggestion someone made a number of months ago; maybe Rodent?), so I'm guessing it's that last bit! :)

Citizen Rules 11-19-18 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968806)
...The Seen Log draws from films checked off of Lists, films checked off via the individual Movie pages, but the latter happens automatically when we approve one of your reviews (which is a suggestion someone made a number of months ago; maybe Rodent?), so I'm guessing it's that last bit! :)
Ha, I knew it had to be a logical reason:) And yes I had just clicked them off my List.

Yoda 11-19-18 05:20 PM

Yeah, when it came time to add Movie pages I realized I should really add the ability to mark them as seen, and once I decided to do that, I realized I should integrate it into the Lists area (and, in return, integrate lists into the new movie database).

It's not ideal, I still have this superfluous little connection ID thing in the database that adds to the complexity of the queries, but it works for now and isn't too bad given that so much of this had to be added to an existing feature.

The Rodent 11-19-18 05:37 PM

@Yoda I just had an idea... sorry if this has been brought up already, had a look, couldn't see anything so far...

You mentioned how it was kinda difficult to change those popcorns and the NO RATING thing on the right side to being mouseover things...

Would it be possible to add the mouseover popcorn rater thing, to the pop-up that appears when you hit the "Edit Seen Entry" pencil marker? All that's in there at the moment is the ability to change the date that you saw said movie...

Yoda 11-19-18 05:43 PM

Oh dear I've made you guys gun shy with my "I already said that" stuff, haven't I? :laugh: Sorry. Anyway, yeah, that's in the second post ("to modify rating from the overlay"). It's definitely a good idea, I was just kinda wiped and wanted to get this up.

So, to summarize, very very very soon I'll add:

1) Add/edit ratings from overlay.
2) Sort by film's release date.
3) Ability to mark films as seen from Seen Log.
4) Display rating somehow on Poster View.

Depending on how tired or distracted I am, this could all happen today, but almost definitely no later than tomorrow. :up:

Thanks for all the feedback guys, good stuff. And honestly, even the repeated stuff, is moderately useful, since it serves as an amplification about what's important or expected.

TheUsualSuspect 11-19-18 05:59 PM

*raises hand* me too.

Omnizoa 11-20-18 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968800)
if you click on the titles
Clicking on the titles brings me to the movie page, but a hover-over edit button does do what you say, so to that I say: nice.

Originally Posted by Yoda
This is a very good idea that's very easy to implement. This will happen soon.
Cool.

I'm also inclined to say that I'd prefer more to appear on each page, in poster view the maximum number of movies displayed, 50, is still wider than it is long. Making this 100 would be a bit more convenient for my purposes, and I haven't even seen that all that many movies compared to some users on this forum, and yet if I wanted to scroll through all mine, I'd have 11 pages to click through.

I'll also echo other users here by saying being able to check other users' Seen Log from their profile would be useful.

TheUsualSuspect 11-20-18 09:05 AM

Can I ask how it logs what I've seen. It has a CSI TV episode listed as something I've watched. The one directed by Tarantino.

Yoda 11-20-18 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1968905)
Clicking on the titles brings me to the movie page, but a hover-over edit button does do what you say, so to that I say: nice.
Ah, sorry, I forgot about the hover icon thing, in part because on mobile it'd just the title.

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1968905)
I'm also inclined to say that I'd prefer more to appear on each page, in poster view the maximum number of movies displayed, 50, is still wider than it is long. Making this 100 would be a bit more convenient for my purposes, and I haven't even seen that all that many movies compared to some users on this forum, and yet if I wanted to scroll through all mine, I'd have 11 pages to click through.
It's very easy to add more options for how many to display at a time, only issue is finding space.

Yoda 11-20-18 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1968908)
Can I ask how it logs what I've seen. It has a CSI TV episode listed as something I've watched. The one directed by Tarantino.
From slightly up the page:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968806)
The Seen Log draws from films checked off of Lists, films checked off via the individual Movie pages, but the latter happens automatically when we approve one of your reviews

TheUsualSuspect 11-20-18 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968914)
From slightly up the page:
Am I missing something regarding the CSI entry then? Is it considered a movie? I don't see anywhere where I could have 'logged' seeing that. Just curious.

Yoda 11-20-18 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1968932)
Am I missing something regarding the CSI entry then? Is it considered a movie? I don't see anywhere where I could have 'logged' seeing that. Just curious.
It says you marked it on September 19th, 2:03 pm. My best guess is you did it via the Tarantino club. Not sure if I mentioned that that's tied into the individual movie page system, too.

Omnizoa 11-20-18 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968933)
It says you marked it on September 19th, 2:03 pm. My best guess is you did it via the Tarantino club. Not sure if I mentioned that that's tied into the individual movie page system, too.
Ooooh, more ways to check off movies.

Edit: Odd, I'm certain I've seen Grindhouse and would have reviewed it, but I don't appear to have one up.

Omnizoa 11-20-18 01:00 PM

Off-topic: Where's the normal link for Clubs? Or the official thread for Clubs?

Yoda 11-20-18 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1968960)
Off-topic: Where's the normal link for Clubs? Or the official thread for Clubs?
It was/is sort of a beta test and I'm still deciding what to do with it. It's in your profile, though, if you've joined any. And it's easy to remember: www.movieforums.com/clubs

Yoda 11-20-18 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1968958)
Odd, I'm certain I've seen Grindhouse and would have reviewed it, but I don't appear to have one up.
Checking the database, you've only used the word "grindhouse" in three posts, and the other two were replies to Iro. Are you sure you didn't review one of the "sub" films? Maybe tagged as Death Proof or something?

MovieMeditation 11-20-18 01:57 PM

Where can I find the link to my 'seen log' without going here?

And maybe there should be a place, maybe in the top, where it said how many films you have seen (maybe I'm just blind but I don't see it).

Omnizoa 11-20-18 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1968973)
Where can I find the link to my 'seen log' without going here?
It's in your User Control Panel.

Omnizoa 11-20-18 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968963)
It was/is sort of a beta test and I'm still deciding what to do with it.
I think I'd get a lot more use out of it if it weren't limited to directors and I could create them myself. Actually make it a sort of tool for users to create their own custom genre movie clubs. Course that would ultimately eclipse the point of Lists, I think.

Originally Posted by Yoda
It's in your profile, though, if you've joined any.
I have not and it does not offer a redirect link so that you can.

Was wondering how to create new clubs, but I'm supposing you can't. Not freely anyway.

Yoda 11-20-18 02:26 PM

Yeah, the Clubs and the Lists are kinda intertwined already, so I need to figure them out simultaneously. Ditto on creating Lists and Clubs.

It's a fine line. In most things it's good to just let people make whatever and sort through it after, but in some cases that's really tricky to do in a way that stays organized and/or doesn't lead to lots of new moderation headaches.

Anyway, www.movieforums.com/clubs for now, at least. I make a special point to choose very intuitive URLs so if you're not sure, you can usually just guess 'em.

Yoda 11-20-18 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968813)
So, to summarize, very very very soon I'll add:

1) Add/edit ratings from overlay.
2) Sort by film's release date.
3) Ability to mark films as seen from Seen Log.
4) Display rating somehow on Poster View.
These are done, except for #3. Still want to think a bit about how to do that.

Also made it so sorting by Release Date places markers by year rather than month, since that seems a lot more useful.

Omnizoa 11-21-18 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1969070)
These are done, except for #3. Still want to think a bit about how to do that.

Also made it so sorting by Release Date places markers by year rather than month, since that seems a lot more useful.
https://i.imgur.com/lqKlotB.png

I noticed one of my movies has a release date of "-0001", I guessed it was because it wasn't assigned a release date on TMDb, but I just checked TMDb and it says 2007 for the date soooo, dunno what happened there.

gbgoodies 11-21-18 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1968653)
The MoFos have spoken. I asked you guys what feature you wanted to see next, and you were surprisingly clear that you wanted a way to view/search/sort all the films you've seen, so here you go:

Seen Log

EDIT: suggestions are very, very welcome, but please make sure to read the next post to avoid suggesting things already noted. It's nice and short, and there's a really good chance it contains your suggestion, since this feature is missing a couple of things which are pretty obviously a good idea but I couldn't quite get to in time. Thank you!

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, so please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered, but how does the list get filled?

I clicked on the link to check my list, and I think there are movies on my Seen Log that I haven't actually seen. (But I'm old and my memory is pretty bad, so maybe I just don't remember seeing them. :()

The Rodent 11-21-18 06:18 AM

Anything you've clicked in the actual Lists section, automatically get added to the Seen Log :)
Also, if you've written a review, and it gets tagged, that too is automatically added to your Seen Log.

Yoda 11-21-18 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1969106)
https://i.imgur.com/lqKlotB.png

I noticed one of my movies has a release date of "-0001", I guessed it was because it wasn't assigned a release date on TMDb, but I just checked TMDb and it says 2007 for the date soooo, dunno what happened there.
We cache the data from TMDb so the release was probably added after it was copied here. Can you PM/profile comment/whatever the movie in question my way?

Yoda 01-09-19 11:11 AM

Bumping this.

So, after more than a month, anyone have any developed thoughts about this? IE: it's not convenient enough, you'd use it more if there were a form to add films more easily, or on the home page, or something, etc?

The Rodent 01-09-19 11:20 AM

Still working fine over here, I just gotta remember to update it :D

Yoda 01-09-19 11:23 AM

Yeah, that's actually part of what I'm asking. I assume it's pretty much working, but if it's too out of the way to get updated, or a pain to update, etc...that's good to know, too!

This feature can either be a nice little perk, or a central feature. It's an open question. If people really want this place to be more about logging their activity, then it might make sense to put these kinds of things front and center, for example, or at least not just tuck them into the User CP. Not sure if people want that, though, or if people do, but the group here is already self-selected for people more interested in other stuff, because they all joined before it was here.

Web development is hard. ;)

TheUsualSuspect 01-09-19 11:26 AM

If I don't see a button to click on....I forget about it.

Still wouldn't mind seeing a Seen Count.

The Rodent 01-09-19 11:31 AM

I think it should definitely be added to the top bar in the rainbow links :)
I think I've figured by now that you're pretty attached to how they've been laid out for the past few years, but I reckon replace the Lists link with the Seen Log.

Lists are accessible by a handful of other means, from the pop-up in the avatars, to just hitting the Profile page and it's there... whereas the Seen Log, being new and all, is only clickable via going into the User CP and looking for it.
I've ended up saving it as a Favourite in my header bar on my browser as that's easier than actually using MoFo tbh.

Just a thought :)

Yoda 01-09-19 11:48 AM

Yep, makes sense.

I'm reworking some stuff like the menu soon, so I have to make some pretty big decisions about how people do (and how people should/will/whatever) use the site going forward, which obviously influences what gets put in the header, too.

TheUsualSuspect 01-09-19 12:02 PM

I never click on the Box Office tab, does anyone? I look at Box Office Mojo for that. Lose that guy. :p

Yoda 01-09-19 12:03 PM

Yeah, that's probably the plan.

I'm kinda irked that all this time attaching colors to areas in people's minds is going to get reset, but oh well. Gotta be done.

Chypmunk 01-09-19 12:37 PM

If it helps at all I'm colour blind when it comes to the web anyway ;)

Fabulous 12-06-20 01:17 AM

Is it possible to sync my Seen Log to something like an IMDb profile?

Yoda 12-06-20 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Fabulous (Post 2147946)
Is it possible to sync my Seen Log to something like an IMDb profile?
Maybe. In which direction? Here to IMDB or (more likely) IMDB to here?

In theory I can probably write some kind of importer if IMDB gives you an export option of some kind. Lemme know.

Fabulous 12-06-20 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2147949)
Maybe. In which direction? Here to IMDB or (more likely) IMDB to here?

In theory I can probably write some kind of importer if IMDB gives you an export option of some kind. Lemme know.
IMDb to here. I wanted to update my list and ratings on here, but adding over a thousand films is a daunting task.

Don't worry about it though, I was just curious.

Yoda 12-06-20 02:50 AM

I’ve been meaning to do it for a while. Lemme take a crack at it this week.

Yoda 12-06-20 04:40 PM

Good news, took a look at this and I don't think it's gonna be too much trouble. The first pass at the import script might be a little unpolished but it's basically working already. I might send it to you privately to test before releasing it, if that's cool, @Fabulous?

Fabulous 12-06-20 05:36 PM

That's fine.