Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Ted Lasso (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64477)

Stirchley 08-02-21 05:46 PM

Ted Lasso

Can’t find anything here written about this show although I was certain someone had commented on the show.

Not going to continue with this show after the first 2 episodes since it’s not really my cuppa tea.

But, I do think it’s rather good. Unusual original story for sure. Jason Sudeikis is putting 1000% of his being into this role. (The American guy playing his second-in-common is brilliant in his taciturnity.)

The female British owner of the club is also excellent. New to me, but, apparently, well known in the UK.

Apparently, Americans have embraced this show much more than Brits have.

If I had absolutely nothing else to watch, I would probably embrace this show. There’s loads of streaming I need to catch up on + my new DVDs so am gonna pass.

Gideon58 08-11-21 03:59 PM

Just watched the pilot for this dark sports comedy series from Apple Original and Warner Brothers which I knew nothing about until earlier this year when I saw Jason Sudeikis win a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Comedy Series, which piqued my interest and I wish I had gotten around to it a little sooner, because this smart and sophisticated series could turn out to be something very special. Fans of the movie Major League will recognize the basic premise here, though the creators have definitely put their own spin on things. Sudeikis plays a second rate American football coach who gets hired to coach a soccer team in London, where soccer is referred to as football, which we initially think is going to be the hook for this show. The real hook is that the team's owner, Rebecca Welton, won the team in her divorce settlement and has purposely hired Ted to destroy the team in order to stick it to her ex. An added layer of fun is provided here with the fish out of water element of the story finding Ted trying to adjust to British life, but it looks like the real fun here is going to be the battle of wits between Ted and Rebecca and seeing how long it's going to take Ted to figure out what Rebecca is doing. Loved when Rebecca threw Ted in front of that baptismal fire called a press conference and pulled his fat out of the fire at the last second and the surprisingly touching ending with Ted on the phone with his wife and son was unexpectedly poignant. Loved the statuesque Hannah Waddingham as Rebecca and Juno Temple lit up the screen as one of the team member's girlfriend. Will definitely be watching this.

Yoda 08-11-21 04:03 PM

Re: Ted Lasso

Lovely show.

I was interested in the moment I heard Bill Lawrence (of Scrubs fame) was involved. Seems impossible he wouldn't make a good show, at this point, and this is no exception.

So far, fewer genuinely laugh-out-loud moments than Scrubs, tied almost entirely to the fact that it's a good deal more realistic than that show was, but it has a similar heart and is still quite funny. And yes, very interesting, well-written characters, and infectiously good-natured.

Gideon58 08-11-21 04:34 PM

Just wrapped ep 2. It seems that Ted might not be as dim as Rebecca thinks he is. Like the fact that he's staying in her face with his morning biscuit visits. I thought putting a suggestion box in the locker room was a little corny, but loved when he was reading the suggestions in the bar. I'm liking the juxtaposing of Ted trying to keep Jamie (Phil Dunster) while possibly romancing his girlfriend, Keely (Juno Temple) behind Jamie's back. Sedeikis nailed that little scene in the office with Jamie and I am LOVING Jeremy Swift as Higgins, Rebecca's flying monkey.

Gideon58 08-12-21 09:56 PM

As I wrap the third ep of season 1, I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of Ted's folksy corn fed charm and often confusing analogies and metaphors are no accident. This guy is a lot more intelligent than what we're being shown right now. I'm looking forward to seeing Roy take the place with the team that Jamie has right now. Also looking forward to the evolution of Nate the equipment manager becoming a major force behind Ted's coaching. Rebecca is showing just enough vulnerability to make her the perfect character you love to hate,

Gideon58 08-13-21 03:34 PM

Loved the whole bachelor auction motif for ep 4. First of all, I have to reiterate that I am LOVING Hannah Waddingham as Rebecca. With the aid of some really deft writing, she is creating a three dimensional villainness whose greatest asset is her vulnerability. I was wondering at the end of ep 3 if we were ever going to get to meet Rebecca's ex and you could have knocked me over with a feather when he appeared in ep 4. Rebecca is clearly still in love with the man and that love is obviously the impetus for everything she does, which might signify a major change in her treatment of the team and of Ted. Loved Keely's revenge on Jamie, though I wasn't expecting their breakup this soon. Now that they've broken up, maybe Roy will stop fighting his feelings for Keely, before she turns to Ted. Loving this silly show.

Gideon58 08-14-21 08:12 PM

Ep 5 was appointment television primarily due to the dazzling work from Jason Sudeikis as the title character, whether reuniting with his family, trying to stay two steps of Rebecca, or trying to make Jamie a team player, Sudeikis totally ruled in this episode and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the episode that was submitted to the Hollywood Foreign Press, who gave the actor his first Golden Globe. His reunion with his wife (Andrea Anders) was sweet and moving. I think he made all the right moves with Michelle, even though it was never made clear why Michelle was so unhappy. I loved the way Ted talked openly about his marital troubles with Rebecca, Coach, Nate, and Higgins. Can't wait to see Roy and Keely get together. Love this silly show.

Gideon58 08-14-21 09:47 PM

Definitely some surprises in ep 6. Loved the way this alleged curse brought the team together in a way they had never been before. The relationship between Rebecca and Keely is definitely growing legs and I'm also loving that Rebecca seems to be losing Higgins, though I think his defection to Ted is going to cost him dearly and that's why we got a glance of Higgins' family in the last ep. Loving Sam too...what a charmer that guy is, his scene with Rebecca was lovely...definitely want to see his role beefed up. Love Dani Rojas and to get some insight into why Jamie is the way he is and I don't believe for a minute that he's gone for good. Love this silly show.

Gideon58 08-16-21 09:46 PM

Ep 7 was excellent, all kinds of stuff going on here...absolutely LOVED the scene in the lockeroom where Nate gave the team his notes...brilliantly written and directed...his comparison of Dani Rojas to Carrie Bradshaw was classic. Love the relationship that is developing between Rebecca and Keeley...they were joking about it, but I wouldn't be shocked if something sexual happened between these two...there is a subtle sexual tension between these two characters that is slowing simmering to the surface. Would love some more backstory regarding Rebecca's marriage...this Rupert guy really did a number on her. Ted's meltdown at the karaoke bar was heartbreaking. This divorce seems to be affecting him the same way Rupert affected Rebecca. Also loved Rebecca's karaoke performance...Hannah Waddingham has a serious set of pipes. Glad Roy is trying to open up to Keeley. but I see some heartbreak for him down the road...Keeley's got so much going on with other characters she will not be able to give Roy the attention he needs.
Loving this silly show.

Gideon58 08-18-21 09:55 PM

Ep 8 was great...I am LOVING what's going on between Roy and Keeley. Keeley has never had to work this hard for a man's attention and I think it's going to be really good for her, made only more complicated by the fact that Jamie, as I suspected is not out of the picture. The dart game was fantastic...love watching Ted Have Rebecca's back with Rupert, who is a total prick! Higgins and Rebecca parting ways was no surprise, but I was sure Rebecca would fire him before Higgins would quit. Love this silly show.

Gideon58 08-20-21 03:46 PM

Ep 9 was all about Hannah Waddingham as Rebecca and Brett Goldstein as Roy...Waddingham was brilliant in that confession scene with Ted and even though I suspected it early on, the way Ted reacted to the confession confirms for me that he knew what Rebecca was doing all along. She also nailed the scene where Rupert informed her he was about to have a baby with his girlfriend. He knows all of Rebecca's buttons and apparently this was a big one...the guy is pure slime. Goldstein and the writers are creating a deliciously complex and unpredictable character in Roy and I'm loving the fact that Keely seems to be the only one who can really get him to open up. Loving Ted's analogies and metaphors, I don't know how the writers come up with these things...loved when he said something Rebecca said was like Woody Allen playing the clarinet, I don't wanna hear it. Also loving Ted's progress in learning how to handle the press. Love this silly show.

Gideon58 08-20-21 04:27 PM

Well, what can I say? The season one finale was nothing short of spectacular filled with enough surprises to rivet us and enough suspense to make us long for season 2. Even though it happened a lot quicker than I thought it was going to, I was thrilled that Nate was made a coach. I was surprised that Roy made Isaac captain, I have to admit I thought he was going to give it to Sam. Love Sam, hope to see his role beefed up in season two. I was surprised that the Roy/Keely/Jamie triangle still has legs because Keeley's heart really seems to be with Roy now, but she can't seem to tell Jamie that (even with that terrible haircut) and I'm surprised that Roy is putting up with it. Can't wait to see where it goes next season. The game itself was fantastic...loved when Jamie actually passed the ball and Ted sent him the note about it and the cheer for Roy when he got injured. This show is a lot of fun and can't wait to get into the second season.

Stirchley 08-20-21 06:14 PM

Re: Ted Lasso

Maybe I’ll take another swing at this inspired by @Gideon58’s reviews.

Gideon58 08-20-21 06:32 PM

I would if I were you...I think this show is fantastic...the writing is brilliant.

Stirchley 08-23-21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2231915)
I would if I were you...I think this show is fantastic...the writing is brilliant.
Will definitely consider it.

I have one for you: The White Lotus on hbo. Terrific 6-parter (renewed for a 2nd season on hbo). I think you would enjoy this show.

Gideon58 08-25-21 09:33 PM

Just watched the second season opener and I was a little disappointed that this show fell into a trap a lot of shows like this do...there were events that happened between the first and second season played offscreen that I would have preferred to have seen played onscreen. Primarily, Roy's retirement from the team and taking a position coaching a little girls' soccer team. It was fun though watching him treat the girls just like he was coaching adult players. The whole thing with Dani Rojas was a little hard to process. I'm still finding it hard to believe that a soccer ball hitting a dog could actually kill him, but I'm glad the event has not permanently removed Dani from the team. Keely and Roy's double date with Rebecca and her new guy was a hoot and what Roy told Rebecca was absolutely correct. Also LOVED the way Jamie was reintroduced in season 2. Loving this silly show.

Gideon58 08-30-21 09:52 PM

The second ep of season 2 featured some solid work from Phil Dunster as Jamie began his journey back to Richmond. Loved when he confronted Keeley after following her around during her lunch hour. I loved the way Ted let Sam have his say about Jamie before he told him that Jamie wasn't coming back. LOVED Roy's appearance on that sports show and I'm glad we got a glance of his retirement from Richmond. The lady psychiatrist is a real Debbie Downer and Ted may have created a real **** storm here even though we all saw it coming. Love this silly show.

Stirchley 09-01-21 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2233454)
I'm still finding it hard to believe that a soccer ball hitting a dog could actually kill a dog …
Definitely could.

Nick Mohammed who plays Nate was featured in a very good NY Times article on Sunday. He said he knows nothing about football & has to have all the terms explained to him.

And he actually lives in Richmond where the show is set. Said it’s strange, but not unpleasant, being recognized there.

At one time he was pursuing a doctorate in geophysics at Cambridge.

Gideon58 09-02-21 08:31 PM

I was provided a delicious surprise as the fourth ep of season 2 turned out to be the show's first holiday-themed episode as we got to watch the folks of Richmond celebrate Christmas. So glad that Rebecca got Ted out of the house...what they did was absolutely lovely. I was so impressed that Higgins actually invites the whole team to his house. Loved that Sam turned one of Higgins' kids into a believer. Sam is seriously awesome. The diagnosis regarding Phoebe's breath...is that a thing? Loved their encounter with the bully and the cue cards. And does Hannah Waddingham have serious pipes or what? Loved this show.

Gideon58 09-07-21 07:36 PM

Okay, just realized that I somehow skipped ep 3, so I'm watching it now.