Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Game of Thrones Season 7 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=48530)

The Gunslinger45 03-09-17 08:19 PM

Game of Thrones Season 7

Well the Season 7 Teaser Trailer dropped and we now have an air date. July 16 2017 Winter comes to Westeros and the next stage of the war for the Iron Thrones comes to HBO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eON7OfV2yFs

Excited fails to capture how I feel right now!

gandalf26 03-10-17 05:20 AM

Re: Game of Thrones Season 7

I ****ing love Game of Thrones and I can't ****ing wait for July!

A man speculates in his head about what will happen all the time.

My own favourite theory;

Euron is the biggest spanner in the works imo, Everyone knows the others are coming but how? Will a mad Euron who has nothing but contempt for the Westeros kingdoms deliver the Others unto Westeros on his ships. We are all assuming the others invade from the North, destroy the wall but what if they come in from the side, dropped off in Lannisport by Euron and destroy Lannister and Tyrell lands first. We have never seen Lannisport, Casterly Rock or High Garden, why??

There isn't much "Game of Thrones" left to play, as in most of the pieces have fallen or fallen into place, the only players left in KL are Cersei and Jamie (will the Kingslayer turn Queenslayer).

What will happen with Littlefinger? I would not be surprised if he gets what he wants in the end, the Iron Throne, perhaps just before the Others invade.

How does Bran play into all this, what can he do to stop the others? We've been led to believe he is the key but how??

A man has so many questions, the worst part will be when it actually starts and we have to wait a week between episodes.

The Gunslinger45 03-10-17 06:12 AM

And also, what will become of The King in the North when he learns he is the strongest claimant to the Iron Throne? How will he react to knowing his true heritage? How will he feel about his supposed Lord Father? And does he even want the throne?

Either way I am very excited to see Dany finally get to Westeros.

gandalf26 03-10-17 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1665398)
And also, what will become of The King in the North when he learns he is the strongest claimant to the Iron Throne? How will he react to knowing his true heritage? How will he feel about his supposed Lord Father? And does he even want the throne?

Either way I am very excited to see Dany finally get to Westeros.
Presumably Bran is gonna tell him, Bran isn't far from castle black so surely he goes onto Winterfell and tells Jon, how will the Northern lords feel about his heritage, he is a Stark still but also the son of Rhaegar who the North fought against.

It surely cant be that easy for Dany, who can stop her? allied with Tyrell, Dorne massive fleet, Dothraki and dragons, surely Euron attacks her first because if that army lands in KL who is gonna stop her, it's Game of Thrones so it wont be so easy.

I'm interested to see what Jamie makes of the Lannister situation, Cersei has been useless in regards to strategy. The Lannisters have no allies and way too many enemies. Starks and Tully's (presumably will have Riverrun back), and have the Vale this time with them. Tyrells (who can just about match Lannisters on their own) have gone in with Dorne and Dany. So the Lannisters are ****ed right?? Unless the Others invade soon rendering all other wars meaningless.

TheUsualSuspect 03-10-17 08:10 AM

I mean, it's gotta end like Danny's vision right? Her sitting on top of the Iron Throne with no one left to rule because it's a barren winter wasteland?

gandalf26 03-10-17 08:15 AM

That vision could be taken many ways.

I think it signifies her being able to take the throne but realisling there is something bigger going on, the great war.

Dani8 03-10-17 01:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OPIeUNNBlM

MonnoM 03-31-17 02:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxWfvtnHtS0

Dani8 04-01-17 04:49 PM

Eh? Is that part of the april fool thingy? I've never even seen that movie.

Dani8 04-20-17 04:04 PM

I'm trying to get myself hyped for GoT but not champing at the bit for it like I used to. I dont even know when it kicks off, but thought the fans might like these photos

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...rones-season-7

Yoda 05-24-17 02:27 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYeaKsXnsI

Dani8 05-24-17 02:33 PM

Woooo OK now I'm getting excited. Goosebumps. Thanks for posting, Yods.

gandalf26 05-24-17 06:02 PM

OMFG cant wait!

Powdered Water 05-24-17 06:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNAGkcC-NAM

Dani8 05-24-17 06:11 PM

The theme always gets me revved up, PW.

cat_sidhe 05-24-17 06:17 PM

I love GoT.

Dani8 05-24-17 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1707416)
I love GoT.
I love The Dinklemeister.

gandalf26 05-24-17 07:17 PM

Do you reckon it's possible to be soooooooooo excited for something that you literally burst?

Dani8 05-24-17 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1707443)
Do you reckon it's possible to be soooooooooo excited for something that you literally burst?
Yes. I get like that with BCS and also when I hear the theme

My nephew is a complete GoT freak (books and show) and he sends me this all the time. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CeBTDwscoM

cat_sidhe 05-24-17 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1707443)
You mean you be all like

https://youtu.be/25KABvPbq-U

(saw that doing the rounds again on twitter... :lol:)

Dani8 05-24-17 07:45 PM

LMAO I've never heard that before.

The Gunslinger45 05-25-17 05:12 PM

Of all my pensions for fandom be it my old history with comics, flirts with anime, cult classics, and cinematic greats, Game of Thrones is a show I hold very dear to my heart. I wait very patiently for it to return. Until then I am starting to rewatch the show from start to finish. I just finished Episode 4 of season 1. I have a little less then 60 days to complete 60 episodes. One episode a day plus a few multi episode viewings should keep me satisfied until mid July.

Wplains 05-28-17 09:06 AM

Is Dani Jon's aunt? I guess that rules them marrying and ruling the 7 kingdoms together? That makes both of them descendents of the Mad King (Dani is a daughter and Jon a grandson). Not a good blood line to have, I would think.

It also makes him a first cousin to the Starks.

The Gunslinger45 05-29-17 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1708912)
Is Dani Jon's aunt? I guess that rules them marrying and ruling the 7 kingdoms together? That makes both of them descendents of the Mad King (Dani is a daughter and Jon a grandson). Not a good blood line to have, I would think.

It also makes him a first cousin to the Starks.
Yes Dani is Jon's Aunt. Then again blood lines never stopped the Targaryens before. lol Brothers and sisters routinely got hitched to keep the blood lines pure.

That being said any Dani and Jon ships are kinda creepy.

Wplains 05-29-17 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1709215)
Yes Dani is Jon's Aunt. Then again blood lines never stopped the Targaryens before. lol Brothers and sisters routinely got hitched to keep the blood lines pure.

That being said any Dani and Jon ships are kinda creepy.
I thought Jon and Dani was where the story was always headed but with this revelation....maybe not though, as you say incest is not unheard of in GoT. Still, to make such a relationship official would be creepy. OTOH, Jon and Sansa are also very closely related though plenty of first cousins marry but they were brought up as brother and sister so kind of creepy too. So,who,else can Jon team up with? Cersei, lol? I doubt she'll give up Jaime and besides, her childbearing years are probably behind her? Arya? Same problem as with Sansa and even more of a big brother/little sister relationship.

Of all the pretenders to the the Iron Throne, Dani seems to me to have the most advantage... mainly in the form of 3 dragons which effectively give her an Air Force - something no one else has.

Is there a Targaryan family tree somewhere that explains the Targaryan bloodlines? I always thought their history was fascinating and wish there was more to read about them.

The Gunslinger45 05-29-17 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1709226)
I thought Jon and Dani was where the story was always headed but with this revelation....maybe not though, as you say incest is not unheard of in GoT. Still, to make such a relationship official would be creepy. OTOH, Jon and Sansa are also very closely related though plenty of first cousins marry but they were brought up as brother and sister so kind of creepy too. So,who,else can Jon team up with? Cersei, lol? I doubt she'll give up Jaime and besides, her childbearing years are probably behind her? Arya? Same problem as with Sansa and even more of a big brother/little sister relationship.

Of all the pretenders to the the Iron Throne, Dani seems to me to have the most advantage... mainly in the form of 3 dragons which effectively give her an Air Force - something no one else has.

Is there a Targaryan family tree somewhere that explains the Targaryan bloodlines? I always thought their history was fascinating and wish there was more to read about them.
I use this for additional info. This site focuses on the books, but they give a lot more detail into the Targaryen blood lines and has a complete family tree from Aegon the Conqueror to the Mad King and his children. May contain book spoilers.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

Wplains 05-29-17 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1709442)
I use this for additional info. This site focuses on the books, but they give a lot more detail into the Targaryen blood lines and has a complete family tree from Aegon the Conqueror to the Mad King and his children. May contain book spoilers.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look. :up:

Powdered Water 05-29-17 07:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cUELYuzRGc

doubledenim 05-30-17 08:11 AM

So...Anybody else think Bran is gonna warg into one of the dragons?

*puts finger to your lip*
Shhhhhhhh. You know you wanna see it.

gandalf26 06-03-17 10:36 AM

In honour of the upcoming season I've decided to post my top ten favourite GOT quotes, in no particular order.

Lord Umber addresses the Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North.

WARNING: "." spoilers below
"Your father was a c*nt"

Sandor Clegane and Arya Stark

WARNING: "," spoilers below
"Lots of people name their swords", Hound: "Lots of C*nts"

Bronn muses about King Joffrey

"There's no cure for being a c*nt"

King Robert and The Hand of the King

"Bow you sh*ts"

Sandor Clegane and Arya enjoy a meal at an Inn

I understand that if anymore words come pouring out your c*nt mouth I'm gonna have to eat every f*cking chicken in this room"

King Stannis addresses his new Hand

"I expect you'll be the first Crabber's son to wear the badge"

Sandor Clegane addresses King Joffrey and Tyrion Lannister

"F*ck the Kingsguard, F*ck the City, F*ck the King"

Lord Tyrion and Lord Janos Slynt

"I'm not questioning your honour, I'm denying it's existence"

Prince Joffrey trains with a sword on the King's Road

"I'll gut you, you little C*nt"

Sandor Clegane and Arya Stark

"I bet his hair's greasier than Joffrey's c*nt" followed by "The greatest swordsman who ever lived killed by Meryn f*cking Trant", and "The greatest swordsman who ever lived didn't have a sword"

Saunch 06-03-17 10:49 AM

Just broke the "C*nt-O-Meter".

Dani8 06-03-17 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1712111)
Just broke the "C*nt-O-Meter".
Funny thing is that I don't really notice the c bombs in this. I mean I hear them but the actors all seem natural with the delivery so the word doesn't stick out like dogs balls

Powdered Water 06-04-17 07:06 PM

I'm gettin that bad feeling that like maybe a few of my favorite people on the show might get chopped this season. Hope not, but some heavy regulars are gonna die this year I reckon. Prepare yourselves folks.

Dani8 06-04-17 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 1712673)
I'm gettin that bad feeling that like maybe a few of my favorite people on the show might get chopped this season. Hope not, but some heavy regulars are gonna die this year I reckon. Prepare yourselves folks.
There's probably only one I'm scared will die this season that will make me cry and I'm screaming internally. I dont mind usually when faves get knocked off but just one that I'm way too attached to.

Powdered Water 06-04-17 07:10 PM

Tyrion?

Dani8 06-04-17 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 1712677)
Tyrion?
I double rep your guess. I like all the leads but Tyrion hs something special.

Powdered Water 06-04-17 07:17 PM

Yeah, I hope he makes it to the end. We'll see.

Dani8 06-04-17 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 1712687)
Yeah, I hope he makes it to the end. We'll see.
Peter Dinklage is amazing, and my sister will scream if he gets knocked off - she's madly in love with him. Well, more like lust.

Drago 06-08-17 11:23 AM

Can't wait!

Powdered Water 06-21-17 01:54 PM

Game of Thrones Season 7: #WinterIsHere Trailer #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mlhnt0jMlg

Not sure if Winterishere should be the title. Looks like Lotsofwalkin would also work, but hey! We're getting close!

Yoda 06-21-17 01:56 PM

Half the trailer: *person turns head to look at something we can't see*

But yeah, still hyped.

dadgumblah 06-27-17 02:05 AM

Half the trailer: *person turns head to look at something we can't see*
Ha, ha! I didn't even notice that until you said that, Yoda. I went back to watch it and sure enough...the only one I even noticed the first time I saw the trailer last week was The Night's King looking up (at the crows...we think...might be a fake-out but I'd love it if it played out exactly as shown, with Bran warged into at least one crow, the Night's King looking up, and with them having a connection now that TNK has touched him, Bran passing out in his wheelchair from it).

And thanks, Powdered Water, for posting the 2nd Trailer. I'd already seen it but it's nice to have it here to look at when we want to. I've heard on pretty good authority of the impending death of a fairly big character and if so, we Will be pleased. :)

Saunch 06-27-17 02:08 AM

This was pretty cool:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e52831b3...4qyvo1_500.gif

Originally Posted by dadgumblah (Post 1726302)
I've heard on pretty good authority of the impending death of a fairly big character and if so, we Will be pleased. :)
I mean...

dadgumblah 06-27-17 02:23 AM

I mean...
Yes? :) Do you want to know or have you figured on a certain someone? The authority I speak of is my niece who is full-grown and a fanatic about GoT, and follows a certain site to which someone associated with the show apparently posts (in cognito of course). I tend to believe it, because I don't mind spoilers that much, and my niece laid out every bit of last season before we even saw it and it ALL came to fruition exactly as she told me she had read. So, I'm jazzed.

I haven't heard anything about Tyrion's fate, but I want to believe that he'll make it to nearly the end of the last season, if not all the way. I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything as we're dealing with character slayer George R.R. Martin, but Tyrion is one of the most put-upon characters in the whole run of the show (except for maybe Sansa and Arya, oh yeah, and Theon) and I'd love it for him to make it till the end and doing something massively heroic. Just in my opinion, I think he's been the one character who has been our voice for the show and I'd love him to win out.

P.S., that shot of the guy above with the flaming sword is massively cool! You can see it again very quickly in Trailer #2 when Jon is standing on the cliff/hill and there are two men flanking him, fighting. Mr. Flaming Sword (is his name Bendric Dardarion or something like that?) is to his right and you can catch the fire blade really quickly. So very cool.

Powdered Water 06-29-17 12:13 AM

Inside Game of Thrones: A Story in Score (HBO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMO4pHe3HE

Yoda 07-03-17 10:21 PM

https://twitter.com/ComfortablySmug/...36850646560772

Dani8 07-05-17 02:35 PM

Ooh, maybe this will cure me of my rabid BrBa rewatch

https://pics.me.me/17-days-to-go-win...r-24234813.png

MovieMad16 07-07-17 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by dadgumblah (Post 1726308)
Yes? :) Do you want to know or have you figured on a certain someone? The authority I speak of is my niece who is full-grown and a fanatic about GoT, and follows a certain site to which someone associated with the show apparently posts (in cognito of course). I tend to believe it, because I don't mind spoilers that much, and my niece laid out every bit of last season before we even saw it and it ALL came to fruition exactly as she told me she had read. So, I'm jazzed.

I haven't heard anything about Tyrion's fate, but I want to believe that he'll make it to nearly the end of the last season, if not all the way. I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything as we're dealing with character slayer George R.R. Martin, but Tyrion is one of the most put-upon characters in the whole run of the show (except for maybe Sansa and Arya, oh yeah, and Theon) and I'd love it for him to make it till the end and doing something massively heroic. Just in my opinion, I think he's been the one character who has been our voice for the show and live him to win out.

P.S., that shot of the guy above with the flaming sword is massively cool! You can see it again very quickly in Trailer #2 when Jon is standing on the cliff/hill and there are two men flanking him, fighting. Mr. Flaming Sword (is his name Bendric Dardarion or something like that?) is to his right and you can catch the fire blade really quickly. So very cool.
I think I know which big character dies this season.

Won't spoil it though....sssh

dadgumblah 07-07-17 10:28 PM

Won't spoil it though....sssh
I'm sure several will die, but there's one I want to die SOON! :)

Doolallyfrank 07-16-17 08:35 AM

the hour is almost upon us, LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGIN!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3XtoCm45tE

Dani8 07-16-17 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doolallyfrank (Post 1736939)
the hour is almost upon us, LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGIN!!!!!!!
LOL. I had no idea how much Martin likes decapitations.

seanc 07-16-17 02:15 PM

I still haven't watched season 6. Trying to decide whether to pick HBO up for a couple months and catch up. Like the books the show started to lose me a bit. I still mostly enjoyed it but it wasn't a must for me anymore.

Dani8 07-16-17 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1736989)
I still haven't watched season 6. Trying to decide whether to pick HBO up for a couple months and catch up. Like the books the show started to lose me a bit. I still mostly enjoyed it but it wasn't a must for me anymore.
Yes I'm not as pumped for this season as previous seasons but will watch for my darling imp. I dont remember that horse being decapitated. Must have blocked it out.

MonnoM 07-16-17 02:28 PM

I'm super pumped.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oKIP9...1P2/source.gif

Dani8 07-16-17 02:32 PM

Last year a kid was playing the theme music on his trombone several doors down (very badly) and we sang along loudly while laughing. Havent heard a peep out of him since.

Doolallyfrank 07-16-17 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1736994)
I dont remember that horse being decapitated. Must have blocked it out.
Ser Loras vs the Mountain, season 1?

gandalf26 07-17-17 04:16 AM

It's never a bad opening when House Frey is wiped out :)

Decent episode I felt. Enjoyed the Hound scenes.

Yoda 07-17-17 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Sedai 07-17-17 11:00 AM

Great episode! I am psyched for the season.

Yoda 07-17-17 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lady Mormont on the Iron Throne or we riot.

ash_is_the_gal 07-17-17 11:23 AM

so how long did it take everyone to figure out what was gonna happen in the cold open?

Yoda 07-17-17 11:26 AM

There were a few seconds where I wondered if it was a flashback, but suspected it shortly after that. I was 99% sure the moment the servers started appearing carrying jugs.

Shows of this size and scope are shot so deliberately, and they almost never make those kinds of things visible from multiple angles and/or consecutive shots unless they're about to matter.

Dani8 07-17-17 12:44 PM

Eh I thought it was kicking off next sunday :rolleyes: Derp.

Austruck 07-17-17 03:51 PM

Nice opening episode. It set up all the necessary parts to move forward, reminding us of a few things along the way. We're SO close to all those Stark kids being in the same place, finally. :)

I'm ready for a little Tyrion/Varys banter, though. Weird to see them both silent in this episode, though that was the right move for the looming emotions of that homecoming for Danaerys.

Yoda 07-17-17 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Didn't notice this at all, but apparently Sansa, in exactly the scene where she's talking about Cersei with Jon ("you almost sound as if you admire her..."), has the same hairdo she used to:

Worth noting that, early in the series, she seems like a pretty awful kid, reflexively siding with Joffrey out of a desire for prestige and power. Obviously she's been a good guy far more often than not, but there's some groundwork there for her innate character, should they choose to go that way.

Saunch 07-17-17 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 1737602)
We're SO close to all those Stark kids being in the same place, finally. :)
Given the tension between Sansa and Jon I wouldn't expect a happy family reunion.

I look forward to more Jaime/Euron bickering and Tormund's... admiration for Brianne.

A match to rival Rosenfield and Constance Talbot.

Yoda 07-17-17 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Saunch 07-17-17 04:20 PM

I'm wondering if they're setting up conflict between Sansa and Arya, the former becoming and more like Cersei and Little Finger.

The Gunslinger45 07-17-17 04:27 PM

I really dug the first episode.As soon as Walder said that winter had come, I knew what was about to happen since it ruled out a flashback. I liked Dany going home and I thought the Hound's new character development was pretty damn good.

I really look forward to how Cersei and Jaime will continue to develop. Cersei is in a very dark place and Jaime is more then a little unnerved by Cersei's newest development. I wonder if the show will follow the prophecy in the book about how Cersei is foretold to die? If so that will be quiet the scene.

I also can't wait for Jon to see Tyrion again and to first meet Dany. And I eagerly await the reveal of Jon's true parentage.

And now I must wait a week for the next episode.

Sedai 07-17-17 04:32 PM

Cool stuff about Sansa and Cersei. I didn't notice the similarities when I watched.

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1737637)
And I eagerly await the reveal of Jon's true parentage.
That happened last season, yea?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...inale%2019.jpg

Ultraviolence 07-17-17 04:33 PM

I just want to see Nymeria again with Arya!

The Gunslinger45 07-17-17 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1737639)
Cool stuff about Sansa and Cersei. I didn't notice the similarities when I watched.

That happened last season, yea?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...inale%2019.jpg
Yeah but only Bran knows. I am waiting how Jon, Dany, Sansa and the 7 kingdoms will handle the news. lol

Yoda 07-17-17 04:44 PM

One thing I've been talking about the last few years is the fact that nothing can really be verified in the GoT world: if Arya vanishes, she has no way to really prove she is who she says she is, no way to prove someone impersonating her isn't really her, etc. The best you can do is find someone who claims to have known them, who can vouch for them, and even that isn't anything close to proof. So I've been wondering how a lot of these things--identities, parentage, whatever--would shake out, even if they did come to light. There's no DNA tests. We might have something come out...and people just straight-up don't believe it.

Bran, however, could fix this. The fact that he knows so much could be used to establish credibility that would carry over into other pronouncements.

ynwtf 07-17-17 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1737625)

HA

Saunch 07-17-17 05:23 PM

https://68.media.tumblr.com/fed9b972...tg38o2_500.gif

https://68.media.tumblr.com/c90dacd4...tg38o5_500.gif

Dani8 07-17-17 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1737643)
Yeah but only Bran knows. I am waiting how Jon, Dany, Sansa and the 7 kingdoms will handle the news. lol
Who are his parents? I forget.

Saunch 07-17-17 05:51 PM

WARNING: spoilers below
Han Solo and Princess Leia

Dani8 07-17-17 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1737708)
Han Solo and Princess Leia
Now it's coming back to me, you tricky dicky.
No seriously, who are they?

Saunch 07-17-17 05:58 PM

Lyanna (Ned's sister) and Raegan Targaryen (I think I spelled that correctly)

gandalf26 07-17-17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal (Post 1737427)
so how long did it take everyone to figure out what was gonna happen in the cold open?
Like 0.1 seconds, as soon as the camera panned to old Walders chin I knew what was going down :)

Dani8 07-17-17 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1737714)
Lyanna (Ned's sister) and Raegan Targaryen (I think I spelled that correctly)
Thanks. I dont know why I cant remember that. I think for me there are just too many characters. I cant even remember who those two are. Really need to read the books to get a handle on all of these names.

gandalf26 07-17-17 06:07 PM

Can I just say, the dead giants look awesome

Shame we apparently don't have a living giant for a face off

Wplains 07-17-17 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal (Post 1737427)
The minute he rambled on about calling the whole family together I knew who "he" was. The girls bringing in wine confirmed it. Great scene and great acting by Maisie Williams.

Ok, so did anyone figure out who the arm in the cell (that scared Sam) belonged to? I had no idea until I read a recap of the episode: it's
WARNING: "" spoilers below
Ser Jorah

cat_sidhe 07-17-17 07:52 PM

Omg loved the first ep.

Austruck 07-18-17 12:48 AM

Nice little recap of this first episode of season 7:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...et-dragonstone

Larry 07-18-17 01:08 AM

Personally I think the shows been on the decline since the near perfect if not perfect season 4. Awkward sheeran cameo and strange Sam tali scene are the obvious things I can poke a stick at. Not that I could do better but straying from the source material has hurt the show imo. Of course I'll continue to watch and it is watchable.....

Iroquois 07-18-17 01:27 AM

I daresay that their straying from the source material is more than a little justified these days.

Larry 07-18-17 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1737960)
I daresay that their straying from the source material is more than a little justified these days.
Correct. It's either that or put the show on hiatus for several years waiting for Martin to finish. Still, to my original point and opinion (opinion only as clearly it's well received both critically and commercially), the characters and story have suffered. Maybe I do need to adjust my expectations, I'm coming off watching Deadwood and Westworld with the former being a triumph of character development and dialogue.

dadgumblah 07-18-17 07:47 AM

Loved the episode and the nice, numerous base-touches on most of the characters.

As I told in a previous post a couple of pages back, my niece is privy to a website where a spy from the set reports in under an assumed name. I also said how he/she told every major plot point correctly for Season 6 to the letter. So, that said, some things I've heard via my niece are getting me jazzed. And the opening scene with
Arya as Walder Frey wiping out the rest of the Freys came about exactly as the source fortold. I was very pleased with that and I liked how Arya calmly strolled out of the banquet hall with a satisfied look on her face.

The whole Ed Sheeran thing I thought was a bit awkward, but because I'm not a fan of his and don't follow his every move or appearance/CDs, it didn't bother me the way it would if someone more famous like, say, Katy Perry or someone of her measure (or measurements :)) appeared. I wonder about Arya looking at their weapons and if she's sizing them up to kill them. I kind of hope not as they were very cordial to her.

People on YouTube and various sites have different theories about Nymeria. Most of them seem to think that she is there to
save Arya from some danger. I had a thought that maybe Nymeria sees the faces of all the people Arya has changed into and doesn't recognize her. Others have theorized that perhaps the wolf shown is not Nymeria and Nymeria shows up to save Arya from this wolf. Food for thought.
But I hope Nymeria lasts for a while as we only have two direwolves left and besides dying to protect their masters/mistresses, or being outright killed (by Ned), what purpose have they served. The Stark children are supposed to have the same Warging ability in their DNA that Bran has so I'm hoping for that with Nymeria and Ghost. It would be a waste if they just snuffed it.

Favorite moments:

Dany touching the sand at Dragonstone. Even though we've seen moments like this in other movies or shows, it was very touching to me as she felt the sand of her real home. And everyone around her didn't say a word for the whole time they showed them there. It was if the whole event was awe-inspiring or overwhelming for them all. At the very least, they knew what it meant to Dany and they respected her enough to stay still. I noticed Missandei motion for Grey Worm to hang back. I guess he thought it was time to move forward but she shut that down real quick.

Lyanna Mormont dressing down Yohn Royce (if I'm correct in assuming it was him) about women and children fighting for their homeland, and her statement about her own determination to fight. Love this character!

When crazy-eyed Euron Greyjoy took a foot forward up the steps leading to THE Throne, the Mountain stepped towards him. Euron smiled but he damn sure stepped back down.

Euron taunting Jaime by saying, "I have a whole fleet and two strong hands!" Jaime was staring daggers at him.

The continued evolution of The Hound. His burial of the man and his daughter, his seeing the vision in the flames. I wonder about that---was he able to see it because he's now part of the Brotherhood Without Banners and they worship the God of Fire and now he's able to see things in the flames like them? Whatever the reason, I liked how Thoros of Myr came out and helped him bury the bodies.

Edd's scared look North as he let Meera and Bran through the tunnel. He stood there alone, but not for long. :)

I hate Euron but I thought the ships were cool, especially the one they focused on, with the Greyjoy sigil on the sails and the sea creature (squid?) carved into the prow of the lead ship.

And lastly, my favorite image was the three dragons flying over Dragonstone. How perfect that was. As it is Dany's home, it's theirs also and it just seemed so fitting.

Doolallyfrank 07-18-17 08:03 AM

Instead of a violence or scenes of a sexual nature warning, they need to do a "Never eat or drink when the Hound is talking, you will either choke or spray"
His line about topknots was one of his best

TheUsualSuspect 07-18-17 08:18 AM

Interesting episode, we got to see every major character and it had the best cold opening in the series to date.

gandalf26 07-18-17 09:34 AM

There's just no chance that Sansa and Jon end up in conflict outside of sibling bickering. Hopefully Bran gets thrown in the mix next episode so Sansa becomes 3rd in line for Winterfell lol.

Exited to see how the Targaryan reveal will play with the northern Lords. And how Littlefingers scheming will play out.

Thinking about ep 1 again first couple of scenes were a bit crowd pleasurish, it's unclear whether Area wiped out Walders sons/grandsons or just soldiers.

gandalf26 07-18-17 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doolallyfrank (Post 1738024)
Instead of a violence or scenes of a sexual nature warning, they need to do a "Never eat or drink when the Hound is talking, you will either choke or spray"
His line about topknots was one of his best
I was genuinely having my breakfast during Sams poop/soup montage! Lovely!

ash_is_the_gal 07-18-17 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1737606)
Didn't notice this at all, but apparently Sansa, in exactly the scene where she's talking about Cersei with Jon ("you almost sound as if you admire her..."), has the same hairdo she used to:

Worth noting that, early in the series, she seems like a pretty awful kid, reflexively siding with Joffrey out of a desire for prestige and power. Obviously she's been a good guy far more often than not, but there's some groundwork there for her innate character, should they choose to go that way.
that's an interesting observation, but

WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
if any of the Starks are acting like Cersi right now, it's Arya :laugh:

Sedai 07-18-17 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1738061)
There's just no chance that Sansa and Jon end up in conflict outside of sibling bickering. Hopefully Bran gets thrown in the mix next episode so Sansa becomes 3rd in line for Winterfell lol.

Exited to see how the Targaryan reveal will play with the northern Lords. And how Littlefingers scheming will play out.

Thinking about ep 1 again first couple of scenes were a bit crowd pleasurish, it's unclear whether Area wiped out Walders sons/grandsons or just soldiers.
Sons were baked into the pie last season! A couple of them, at least.

ash_is_the_gal 07-18-17 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1737800)
Ok, so did anyone figure out who the arm in the cell (that scared Sam) belonged to? I had no idea until I read a recap of the episode: it's
Ser Jorah
we watch tv in our house with the captions on, so that's how we knew. it's funny you mention that though cause my husband was like "why didn't they show him? no one will know it's him unless they have the captions on!" and i was like "pshaw, it's kinda obvious." apparently not that obvious tho :p

gandalf26 07-18-17 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1738082)
Sons were baked into the pie last season! A couple of them, at least.
Walder has about 50 heirs though.

ash_is_the_gal 07-18-17 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1738063)
I was genuinely having my breakfast during Sams poop/soup montage! Lovely!
when we rewatched the episode and it got to that scene again, i left the room until it was over

what i have a weak stomach

ash_is_the_gal 07-18-17 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1738086)
Walder has about 50 heirs though.
i'm not sure if all of the Freys were on Arya's kill list. i don't think her goal is to dismantle the entire house. she's going after the people who specifically wronged her and her family

Yoda 07-18-17 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wplains (Post 1737800)
Ser Jorah
Yeah, immediately. The guy's voice is very distinctive.