Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Walking Dead: Season 7 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=46265)

Fabulous 07-22-16 05:55 PM

The Walking Dead

The official Season 7 trailer premiered today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmUz88zoIg0

TONGO 07-22-16 06:03 PM

Re: The Walking Dead: Season 7

Looks strong :up: I wonder if theyre gonna switch it up from the comic book to surprise us, and he picks someone different. There was a serious negative backlash to how the last season ended, maybe theyll balk.

Derek Vinyard 07-22-16 06:24 PM

Look awesome !!

Fabulous 07-22-16 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1549225)
Looks strong :up: I wonder if theyre gonna switch it up from the comic book to surprise us, and he picks someone different. There was a serious negative backlash to how the last season ended, maybe theyll balk.
Spoilers have already been released on the outcome of that scene, if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

Fabulous 07-25-16 04:02 AM

TWD Comic Con Panel 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gzJa5EsxjU

TONGO 07-25-16 01:45 PM

Norman Reedus pranks Andrew Lincoln....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlDrETVil2o

Lincolns attempt at revenge at the comic con....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCybJftNmwk

TONGO 07-25-16 02:08 PM

Looking at Derek Vineyards avatar .....Tom Hardy looks ALOT like Andrew Lincoln.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...pjEmQE38y0.gif

TONGO 10-10-16 05:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__EaYUdJ0Z4

TONGO 10-10-16 10:13 PM

TheUsualSuspect 10-10-16 10:15 PM

If the rumours are true as to who dies....I'll be upset.

TONGO 10-10-16 10:17 PM

Ive heard 3 or 4 different people.

Captain Steel 10-10-16 10:22 PM

That Negan... he's a regular Comedian!

TONGO 10-10-16 11:50 PM

Yeah it seems all the possible victims are the cool ones. sheesh! I thought they were keeping the priest around for this reason, I cant remember if hes in that group or not, but im sure theyd give him to Negan in a cannon foddery fashion.

Vokzul 10-11-16 01:28 AM

Giving the priest to Negan is about as impactful as letting him kill a random stranger.

Fabulous 10-11-16 03:04 AM

Official Season 7 Sneak Peek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k4gsUmw7lU

Fabulous 10-11-16 03:08 AM

The Walking Dead: The Journey So Far - Sneak Peek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYqexCk8Jig

Derek Vinyard 10-11-16 03:17 AM

cannot wait !!!!!!!

Fabulous 10-11-16 11:18 PM

New York Comic-Con 2016 Panel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDH8HvlHWCg

Fabulous 10-11-16 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1591742)
If the rumours are true as to who dies....I'll be upset.
The spoilers have been out for a while now if you want to know for sure.

TheUsualSuspect 10-11-16 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fabulous (Post 1592224)
The spoilers have been out for a while now if you want to know for sure.
I still consider them rumours.

Fabulous 10-11-16 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1592226)
I still consider them rumours.
That's fine. ;)

7thson 10-12-16 12:27 AM

So how about some guesses on what happens during the opener? Just for fun of course. I have no idea other than educated guessed and watching the trailers, and it
has nothing to do with leaked spoilers or anything like that.

So here are my thoughts:

Firstly - who bites it?

Rick is safe

Sasha or Abraham, in my mind, would be boring ( I mean in comparison) and this show is anything but that.

I am not thinking it is Carl because of dialogue, but I could be wrong on this easily.

Maggie? Another possibility and a viable one - but I don't think it is her.

Daryl - nope cause I would be pissed ;)

Glen - this is who I am hoping it is. Not because I dislike the character but because it would be the most devastating to me as a fan I think. However, not my guess.

Eugene - doubtful

Rosita - meh

Aaron - meh

So that leaves Michonne

It is a total guess of course, but her and Rick just recently got really close and other than Carl I think it would hit him the hardest at this moment.

As far as other possible deaths or major things other than the introduction of new characters it appears as if Rick might get messed up pretty badly but will it be his hand?

This is a tough one for me because it seems obvious, yet I am not so sure. Either way it doesn't look good.

I am really excited for this season, of course I have been about every season but the cliffhanger sucked but definitely did its job.

Thoughts from anyone else?

TONGO 10-12-16 12:39 AM

Heres my guess...

Now one of the rumors is that 2 people are supposed to die. I think the producers may be trying to swerve us and it not be who died in the comic. IMO Negan's gonna kill pregnant Maggie, it would be the most horrific choice, and would kill two people. I wouldnt be surprised if Glenn had to be killed too if that is his choice.

How bout this question - If he had to kill someone"s" then who should Negan kill? Id say Rick and Abraham. Ricks their leader, a position Negans taking, and Abraham stood up to him. No reason he wouldnt do it again. That would be the obvious logical choice. Pretty sure they wont go that direction.

Im hoping they let us all down and just kill Rosita and Aaron ;)

Captain Steel 10-12-16 12:48 AM

My guess was Daryl - only because as soon as the last season ended there were commercials that Norman Reedus was getting his own TV series. So it seemed like he was branching out, and when an actor does that, they usually soon leave their old jobs behind.

TONGO 10-12-16 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1592258)
My guess was Daryl - only because as soon as the last season ended there were commercials that Norman Reedus was getting his own TV series. So it seemed like he was branching out, and when an actor does that, they usually soon leave their old jobs behind.
Ew! Thats scares me it makes so much sense. :facepalm: Though George Clooney did double duty for a couple or few years doing E.R. and movies too. Another thing, I heard Daryl isnt in the comics, hes a complete creation for the show.

Captain Steel 10-12-16 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1592267)
Ew! Thats scares me it makes so much sense. :facepalm: Though George Clooney did double duty for a couple or few years doing E.R. and movies too. Another thing, I heard Daryl isnt in the comics, hes a complete creation for the show.
That's true about Daryl - I had the honor of a co-worker lending me the first few TPB's of Walking Dead comics, which is the only reason I started watching the show. (I'm not big on committing to TV shows you have to follow.)

Daryl's show was called "Ride With Norman Reedus" (a travel show on AMC). I never saw it, but supposedly the first 6 episode season aired this past summer & it had been renewed for another season in 2017.

So my guess about who gets whacked in WD has nothing to do with clues in the show, but with the reality of what's going on with the actors. "Ride With Norman Reedus" is the only clue I'm basing my guess on.

TONGO 10-12-16 02:16 AM

I have figured this out at least, if he ends up killing Daryl, or Maggie that will end up making Negan the bad guy. :yup:

Too bad The Walking Dead isnt a live production badumch! that way Vegas could take odds on all this stuff.

They better not kill Daryl! At least make him a zombie and he can have his own spinoff show. Zombie Daryl would get some viewers, and he practically is stinky looking anyway.

Captain Steel 10-12-16 02:28 AM

How about this - somebody has a stroke or head wound that destroys part of their brain which gets infected with the zombie virus because that part of the brain is "dead", but the other half of their brain is still functioning. So they'd be a living zombie!

I think I posted this theory earlier somewhere, but I say that some of the zombies would be dying off over time. The way to kill them is to destroy the brain. Brains are made of very soft tissue. To sustain physical viability they need oxygen via respiration & blood flow, water and food. Zombies that are trapped and thus can't take in water or eat would have brains that would dry out and rot and fall apart in a short period of time.

TONGO 10-12-16 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1592279)
How about this - somebody has a stroke or head wound that destroys part of their brain which gets infected with the zombie virus because that part of the brain is "dead", but the other half of their brain is still functioning. So they'd be a living zombie!

I think I posted this theory earlier somewhere, but I say that some of the zombies would be dying off over time. The way to kill them is to destroy the brain. Brains are made of very soft tissue. To sustain physical viability they need oxygen via respiration & blood flow, water and food. Zombies that are trapped and thus can't take in water or eat would have brains that would dry out and rot and fall apart in a short period of time.
Yeah its just not scientifically possible there could be zombies. Closest you can come up with it is a voodoo doctor with some bath salts. A zombie apocalypse would have to be a magical phenomena, and who knows what theyd be like then.

Why do they eat, and why do they ever stop eating? It has to be meat?! Why not corn? Would they eat a tofu burger? Theyre just scratching the surface with this stuff. ;)

TONGO 10-12-16 01:02 PM

Oh my gosh theres an inexhaustible amount of "spoiler" vids on YouTube, and most say different people. It would make sense if the show put some money into stirring it up even further, and suggested a variety as deflection. Is that insight or years of watching how pro-wrestling operates? :p

Fabulous 10-12-16 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1592428)
Oh my gosh theres an inexhaustible amount of "spoiler" vids on YouTube, and most say different people. It would make sense if the show put some money into stirring it up even further, and suggested a variety as deflection. Is that insight or years of watching how pro-wrestling operates? :p
The Spoiling Dead Fans is the best source.

Austruck 10-19-16 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1592428)
If you've been watching AMC for other things the past few weeks, you will have seen different, but similar commercials for TWD. In each one they take a character and show us "The Beginning" of when they came into the show, and then they cut to "The End?" and show us that character as part of Negan's line-up at the end of season 6. They have these commercials for each of the characters in that line-up, and they rotate through them.

So they're already suggesting a variety (namely, any of them). And, as furious as nearly everyone was when season 6 ended, the writers/producers have got to be patting themselves on the back right about now. That season ending did exactly what they had hoped and we're all chomping at the bit for that season opener this weekend.

Well played, AMC. Well played.

Austruck 10-19-16 05:17 PM

As we head into season 7, we need a recap of the past six seasons, right? And do we need to watch AMC's two-hour recap show? Nope. We have John Cleese to take us through all six seasons in madcap style... in about four minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU0eizwlejs

Austruck 10-19-16 05:21 PM

...except that Mr. Cleese's ending give the date as Oct. 24, and it's Oct. 23. :)

TONGO 10-23-16 12:12 PM

Fabulous 10-23-16 06:20 PM

I enjoyed AMC's marathon of TWD this past week. Had a lot of fun playing the episodes in the background as I was doing things around the house. Watching those early Seasons gave me so much nostalgia. They're showing 6B now if you want to catch up or refresh yourself before the premiere.

gandalf26 10-23-16 06:23 PM

Its got to be the guy from Alexandria right? the guy that found them all and brought them with the backpack, I can see no other legitimate choice.

Fabulous 10-23-16 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1597349)
Its got to be the guy from Alexandria right? the guy that found them all and brought them with the backpack, I can see no other legitimate choice.
You mean Aaron, the recruiter from Alexandria, is your prediction? I would be upset if it's him because it would feel too much like a cop out. I want it to be one of the Atlanta 5 or someone from the first couple of Seasons. It needs to be someone we really care about.

Derek Vinyard 10-23-16 06:27 PM

Prediction all ?

Fabulous 10-23-16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1597355)
Prediction all ?
I've been reading spoilers, so I can't make a true prediction.

TONGO 10-23-16 06:32 PM

I think Im right on my prediction, but I didnt see anything that said for sure who it would be. If Im right I actually dont want to say, hm.

Warning - This is a "damn good guess" spoiler! :yup:

WARNING: spoilers below
Maggie and Glenn

Yoda 10-23-16 06:32 PM

I don't know, so I can speculate a little (though I know who it is in the comic books), but yeah: I don't think they can build it up this much and not kill off someone who's been around since the beginning, or nearly so, or else someone who's become a big fan favorite in a shorter period of time. Anything else feels cheap.

I'm not sure I'm going to keep watching past tonight, but we'll see.

Captain Steel 10-23-16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1597355)
Prediction all ?
I made mine earlier on this thread - and it's not based on clues but on what the actors are doing in their own careers.

TONGO 10-23-16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1597597)
I made mine earlier on this thread - and it's not based on clues but on what the actors are doing in their own careers.
They better not kill off Daryl. :mad: If theyre smart theyll write in how Negan provides food and antibiotics towards Daryls recovery. :yup:

http://twdfansite.com/wp-content/upl...1134_bafbi.jpg

Derek Vinyard 10-23-16 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1597606)
They better not kill off Daryl. :mad: If theyre smart theyll write in how Negan provides food and antibiotics towards Daryls recovery. :yup:

http://twdfansite.com/wp-content/upl...1134_bafbi.jpg
I will be so f*cking pissed if they kill Daryl you cannot even imagine.

Captain Steel 10-23-16 10:17 PM

Do I win something if I'm right (aside from everyone's everlasting hatred?) ;)

Derek Vinyard 10-23-16 10:27 PM

D*MNNNN SON

TONGO 10-23-16 10:31 PM

Well, that sucked. :sick: Coulda been worse, I guess.

Derek Vinyard 10-23-16 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1597630)
Well, that sucked. :sick: Coulda been worse, I guess.
those scenes were amazing tho. Totally badass

TONGO 10-23-16 10:36 PM

Wait a minute.............that second flashback better not have been a flashback :mad: :eek:

Captain Steel 10-23-16 10:41 PM

This show is insensitive and racist! Obviously influenced by Trump!

Vokzul 10-23-16 11:00 PM

Yeah, wow Jeffrey Dean Morgan is single handedly gonna make me go watch the second half of season 5 and all of season 6 just for this.

Also I was right on my personal prediction, so that was cool.

Vokzul 10-23-16 11:01 PM

Although, I was hoping I'd be wrong because I would have preferred a certain someone else die.

Derek Vinyard 10-23-16 11:06 PM

That was one hell of a great episode.

TONGO 10-23-16 11:09 PM

Well, I hope this is the last time someone dies where we have to think about it first. The random chaos and mortality of the show is compelling, but this came off like I was watching The Hitcher meets Saw. A sadomasochistic watch. :sick:

Derek Vinyard 10-23-16 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1597660)
Well, I hope this is the last time someone dies where we have to think about it first. The random chaos and mortality of the show is compelling, but this came off like I was watching The Hitcher meets Saw. A sadomasochistic watch. :sick:
It was awesome !

Captain Steel 10-23-16 11:25 PM

For the next week, the most popular homemade Halloween costume (with production commencing as of now) will be...

Bulgy Eyed Glenn!

Austruck 10-24-16 12:31 AM

Well, not a single moment of let-up or respite this time. I needed the entire 90 minutes of Talking Dead to recuperate from the never-ending violence and gore of this episode. The second death was a bit unnecessarily graphic, IMHO.

7thson 10-24-16 12:41 AM

Awesome choices

Captain Steel 10-24-16 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 1597774)
Well, not a single moment of let-up or respite this time. I needed the entire 90 minutes of Talking Dead to recuperate from the never-ending violence and gore of this episode. The second death was a bit unnecessarily graphic, IMHO.
On that note: on Talking Dead they read a letter from someone who said they "grew up" with Glenn (and then they remarked how the show's been on for 7 years). For me that begged the question "Are people letting children watch this show?"

I often wonder how many people let their kids watch this - because this is indeed adult programming. And it's not so much the zombie head smashing and gore as it is the regular themes of murder and violence among living human beings. And that has really been this story's draw - it's an allegory about human nature under stress. The zombies have always just been the background environment of the WD universe, while the stories within it could take place in any real world cataclysm where the societal structures break down: be it war, natural disaster, epidemic, loss of resources, food or power, etc.

TONGO 10-24-16 12:48 AM

When Ive seen an incredible episode from a series I love, this isnt the feeling I have afterwards. :nope:

Carol better snap out of reality and become a detached killing machine again, Daryl needs rescuing!! :yup:

TONGO 10-24-16 01:39 AM

Damn episode. I have a feeling its gonna be far from a boring season, but fear theres more bad news to come. :sick:

TheUsualSuspect 10-24-16 08:48 AM

If you're referring to the eye bulge, it was a shot for shot recreation of the comic.

Even knowing who was getting the bat, this episode was intense. Superb acting from Andrew Lincoln and Morgan is great as Neegan.

Episode has aired, so much like other threads, I feel that spoilers are to be bound, but in any case.

WARNING: "DEATH" spoilers below
I'm upset to see Abraham go, Glenn seemed obvious. But now I feel that Abraham's death is overshadowed by Glenn's. Too bad.

Yoda 10-24-16 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1597660)
Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty close to checking out. I'd be willing to watch this kind of stuff as part of an otherwise highly compelling show, but, well, it isn't a highly compelling show. It has these little flashes of brilliance, but they're so short-lived.

WARNING: "The Walking Dead Premiere" spoilers below
After Abraham died, I thought "wow, that's way more restrained than I expected." I figured they'd wallow in it: someone gets clocked, becomes incoherent, everyone cries and moans, there's a big delay before they're properly killed, you see several hits in a row, etc. All that awful stuff. So yeah, of course they do all that the second time. It was disturbing for content reasons, but also because it can be weirdly predictable.

It feels like overcompensation for the show's weaknesses. It's almost like a threat: "Oh, you don't care about this character that much? Well what if they die? Haha, no, they didn't really die. Did you care? Okay, what if they really die this time, but slowly and painfully while their loved ones watch? NOW DO YOU CARE?"

Austruck 10-24-16 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1597912)
It feels like overcompensation for the show's weaknesses. It's almost like a threat: "Oh, you don't care about this character that much? Well what if they die? Haha, no, they didn't really die. Did you care? Okay, what if they really die this time, but slowly and painfully while their loved ones watch? NOW DO YOU CARE?"
Yeah, that's really starting to hit me now. I feel as if they're playing off the fact that we care about these characters and are getting lazy about better plotlines. (This includes Kirkman.) I am now thinking quite often: "Okay, we get it. They go around and find pockets of people. Some are good. Some are bad. They either join with them or fight them. Is there a point to this going forward?"

Is there any sort of end-story in sight? In anybody's mind? Or will they continue this ebb and flow until the ratings numbers start to dip and only then decide to wrap things up? And, if this is how the world is now, HOW would they ever wrap things up? If this represents the state of the world, then there is no ending that will feel complete.

And if there is some very different ending (a cure, civilization coming back properly, whatever), then they could get to that point any time now because the cycle of good-group / bad-group-led-by-a-crazy-villain is getting old.

Yoda 10-24-16 11:15 AM

I will say that Negan is, at least in the comics, not just another Big Bad; he has a different philosophy and (I don't think this is a spoiler given how much he's said already) is simply pragmatic about it. That, and some of the even more recent stuff in the comics that the (remaining) characters are dealing with is definitely a major departure from that formula you're talking about.

Yoda 10-24-16 11:18 AM

That said, yeah, I've been assuming for awhile that the show would just stretch each conflict out as much as possible, and insert little mini-ones in-between.

Why not? If you had a money printing machine, why on earth would you turn it off?

Austruck 10-24-16 01:00 PM

Oh, I totally understand from a financial perspective why they would continue this series indefinitely... ESPECIALLY at this point. I'm betting last night's premiere was their highest ratings ever. So, bravo for them. I was talking from a strictly storyline perspective.

Glad to hear that perhaps the philosophy behind some of the thinking going forward might be different. The scenes from upcoming episodes did look vastly different, so I hope I am merely reacting to the gratuitous nature of this season opener. Even other premieres that opened with horrible scenes (the trough at Terminus) did not spend the entire episode flogging the viewers with carnage and instead showed us some bits of hope. I realize part of the point of the episode is that this is what it would take to break someone like Rick to the point he ended on. But it's also a STORY made up by people, so I sometimes have a hard time agreeing when writers say, "Well, that's what this character HAD to do" (or say or become). You created the characters. You created the story. You chose to show us that second death in all its disgusting detail. And yet you could have chosen other, slightly different paths.

I'm sure I'll feel differently once a second (less gory) episode hits.

Side note: It sure was surreal to have those intense scenes broken up by, for instance, Geico insurance commercials that were intended to be humorous.

Captain Steel 10-24-16 01:10 PM

As far as Negan just being a pragmatist (and I don't know the character from the comics) I'd have to disagree that he's just someone doing what is necessary for survival and assert that he's evil.
A pragmatist would kill enemies quickly and efficiently and only as a last resort if the opportunities for mutually beneficial alliances could not be attained. Negan is an obvious sadist who relishes in the pain and torture of others.

Even in such a fantastic scenario, civilization could easily rebuild itself. There would just be very different protocols for how the terminally ill are treated and how the dead are disposed of. Hospitals, morgues and funeral homes would be equipped with cages, restraints and those bolt guns that are used in slaughter houses to kill cows - to distribute a bolt to the brain of every newly deceased person before cremation. One thing about humanity is they have an uncanny ability to rebound from wars, devastation, disasters and disease.

I would think that there would be many places like Alexandria. And military bases (where they have the firepower) would be established as secure zones and begin establishing perimeters outward.

TONGO 10-24-16 01:10 PM

http://www.dorkly.com/post/81165/walking-dead-reactions

Austruck 10-24-16 01:18 PM

Well, Tongo, that last one IS depressing. Hadn't looked at it that way.

Add on season 2/farm characters, and it stays pretty depressing.

Captain Steel 10-24-16 01:28 PM

OTOH - this show always makes me think of hurricane Sandy from just a few years back. In a sense it was like the beginning of this series and the culprit was mostly due to the extended power outages - particularly the fact that gas pump could not longer distribute gas.
Things began to deteriorate quickly the day after. And I witnessed people begin to deteriorate in their behavior as well in the weeks that followed. Of course normalcy returned quickly once the power came back on in areas that weren't too badly hit.

But it did demonstrate, in an isolated area, how quickly things can break down in what would be a comparatively minor disaster compared to say a single nuclear attack, a large scale epidemic, an EMP attack, the grid going down from foreign interference, solar flares or a gamma pulse from distant stars, etc.

In a zombie apocalypse chaos would probably ensue early on, but I think order would quickly be restored because it's not like the power is actually out - it's just a matter of personnel to keep things up and running and a command structure to delegate manpower.

TONGO 10-24-16 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1598020)
In a zombie apocalypse chaos would probably ensue early on, but I think order would quickly be restored because it's not like the power is actually out - it's just a matter of personnel to keep things up and running and a command structure to delegate manpower.
Slow moving zombies I completely agree. There would be horrible chaos at first, but the military, able citizens too, would get a handle on it. It may cause a world peace between countries even. :yup: Seriously, if its worldwide, nobody would want to war if you have to live in a world like that, where death is everpresent.

If they were fast moving zombies like Snyders DOTD, WW Z, or 28 Days/Weeks then we'd be completely screwed.

Captain Steel 10-24-16 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1598024)
Slow moving zombies I completely agree. There would be horrible chaos at first, but the military, able citizens too, would get a handle on it. It may cause a world peace between countries even. :yup: Seriously, if its worldwide, nobody would want to war if you have to live in a world like that, where death is everpresent.

If they were fast moving zombies like Snyders DOTD, WW Z, or 28 Days/Weeks then we'd be completely screwed.
What's funny is I was thinking the exact same thing. Speed would definitely give the zombies an advantage especially if it was greater than average speed.

And good point about bringing countries together - something like that, which we assume would be a global phenomenon, would definitely do it to some extent.

The ending of Night of the Living Dead (as tragic as it was) showed how quickly restoring order by rounding up and eliminating the zombie hordes could be (by a well armed citizenry of course... which means if Hillary becomes President we don't stand a chance in a zombie apocalypse). ;)

Yoda 10-24-16 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1598004)
As far as Negan just being a pragmatist (and I don't know the character from the comics) I'd have to disagree that he's just someone doing what is necessary for survival and assert that he's evil.
A pragmatist would kill enemies quickly and efficiently and only as a last resort if the opportunities for mutually beneficial alliances could not be attained. Negan is an obvious sadist who relishes in the pain and torture of others.
Obviously I dunno what the next handful of episodes will be like, so it's entirely possible that they'll make him more of a sadist than he is in the comics. But I don't think they've closed this off yet, for a couple of reasons. First, because the horror of what he's done is obviously meant to destroy any inkling of rebellion they may have, so any messed up thing he does could be framed as just a means to that end. And second, because I think a lot of it is indifference more than revelry, though in the face of such violence, they start to look pretty similar.

Or, indeed, they'll mess it up horribly by just turning him into a slightly more jovial Big Bad than the last two or three. Wouldn't be the first time they did something wrong. ;)

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1598004)
Even in such a fantastic scenario, civilization could easily rebuild itself. There would just be very different protocols for how the terminally ill are treated and how the dead are disposed of. Hospitals, morgues and funeral homes would be equipped with cages, restraints and those bolt guns that are used in slaughter houses to kill cows - to distribute a bolt to the brain of every newly deceased person before cremation. One thing about humanity is they have an uncanny ability to rebound from wars, devastation, disasters and disease.
Yeah, there should be a lot more of this. I'd be pretty interested in a version of this show that's much more political/philosophical, with survivors debating whether or not they should try to rebuild the world as it was, or start over completely, or something sort of in-between. You can see a lot of people saying "whatever we do, it shouldn't be the same." Political idealists of one stripe or another would see it as an opportunity to ("now we can abolish property!"/"now we can have our libertarian utopia!"). Even if they come down in the middle, you're right, they'd have to change the way they respond (both legally and emotionally) to death, murder, prison, etc. You wouldn't be able to waste resources on prisoners, so the death penalty would have to be much more common.

Battlestar Galactica did this in an interesting way: by banning abortion. Humanity's numbers were dwindling and the government (such as it was) decided they needed everyone they could get. It was an interesting spin because it came at the issue from a direction totally foreign to the ones people approach it from in real life. And that's what would happen is this were real: lots of present day political issues would be considered from totally new angles.

Why don't they do all this? I'm pretty sure it's because the overwhelming majority of viewers watch because they like to be grossed out by bodies getting ripped or smashed apart. Anecdotally, I saw lots of people, during the first couple of seasons, complain when there wasn't much gore. And when there was something particularly gross, that was the thing they singled out. They just want crazy, brutal sh*t to happen.

Austruck 10-24-16 01:56 PM

And, to piggyback off Yoda's last point... I think the special effects of just bashing in zombies and having burnt zombies and "old" decaying zombies is even getting old for viewers. So, what's left? What will give those viewers the thrill they once got from zombie special effects? Naturally, it'll be seeing living humans get smashed to bits. Last night's episode's worst moments were human-on-human violence and its graphic nature.

You know you're getting desensitized when a character is hanging off a hanging zombie ... and when its neck stretches and then gives out, you actually laugh because it's a break from the tension of the REST of the episode! Ha! :D

Captain Steel 10-24-16 02:08 PM

Good post, Yoda!

I've said this before, but one reason I think the zombie craze is so popular is that we all have an innate desire (left over from our primitive ancestry) to bash another person's head in. This is nothing to be ashamed of - it's this same drive that indirectly motivates competition, sports, capitalism and patriotism when channeled in rational directions.

Obviously we can't meet every frustration by bashing heads or shooting people through the brain - not without some severe consequences, not the least of which is condemnation by one's own conscience. So the zombie thing is an outlet that caters to mankind's most bestial, predatory instincts, a fantasy: inconsequential violence, in self defense, on people who are already dead, so there's no conflict of morality nor legality.

It's a similar outlet that's gained by punching a heavy bag or playing first-person-shooter video games.

Captain Steel 10-24-16 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 1598040)
You know you're getting desensitized when a character is hanging off a hanging zombie ... and when its neck stretches and then gives out, you actually laugh because it's a break from the tension of the REST of the episode! Ha! :D
I laughed at that too!
I laughed again at Talking Dead when they referred to it as the "Stretch Armstrong Walker"! :D

Yoda 10-24-16 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1598049)
Good post, Yoda!

I've said this before, but one reason I think the zombie craze is so popular is that we all have an innate desire (left over from our primitive ancestry) to bash another person's head in. This is nothing to be ashamed of - it's this same drive that indirectly motivates competition, sports, capitalism and patriotism when channeled in rational directions.

Obviously we can't meet every frustration by bashing heads or shooting people through the brain - not without some severe consequences, not the least of which is condemnation by one's own conscience. So the zombie thing is an outlet that caters to mankind's most bestial, predatory instincts, a fantasy: inconsequential violence, in self defense, on people who are already dead, so there's no conflict of morality nor legality.

It's a similar outlet that's gained by punching a heavy bag or playing first-person-shooter video games.
Yeah, I think given enough wealth and technological progress, a desire for base outlets is inevitable. Not just in the ugly sense you mention, but in the slightly more understandable sense of desiring simplicity. As the world gets harder to navigate socially, culturally, whatever, I think dystopian fiction becomes more appealing less for the violence or suffering, and more for the "clean slate" feeling.

That, and the idea of building things anew and having to be self-sufficient is, of course, pretty deeply embedded in the DNA of most Americans; both culturally and, well, literally. We've pretty much all got revolutionaries and/or fiercely independent risk-takers as ancestors.

Austruck 10-24-16 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1598051)
I laughed at that too!
I laughed again at Talking Dead when they referred to it as the "Stretch Armstrong Walker"! :D
Ha! I was going to call it that here, but I didn't want to steal that hilarious reference. (And I needed the therapy of that whole 90 minutes last night.) :)

Captain Steel 10-24-16 02:27 PM

This reminds me of a movie I watched called Vice (2015). Awful drag of a movie with a familiar concept that's been visited in many sci-fi films. It's much like the original Westworld (1973), where people go to a contained city inhabited by artificial people (automatons) to act out their basest fantasies, including rape, torture, murder, etc. Essentially, it's an adult amusement park. The artificials can be killed over & over, then reactivated, but they can't harm real humans.

And just imagine the depravity that something like a Holodeck would spawn - not to mention the addiction factor where people would just never leave once inside a fantasy. There are theories that say giving into base fantasies (such as with pornography) is just an addiction that only grows deeper the more one indulges, until it degrades all surrounding functions and leads to more & more extremes to fulfill the need for gratification.

That reminds me... I need to get off this Internet thingy for a while!

Austruck 10-24-16 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1598062)
There are theories that say giving into base fantasies (such as with pornography) is just an addiction that only grows deeper the more one indulges, until it degrades all surrounding functions and leads to more & more extremes to fulfill the need for gratification.
The irony here is that the show rightly depicts that with its progressing stages of violence (against the zombies, among the humans). In fact, it's portraying that theory quite well.

And yet, the theory also describes the ever-growing mass of viewers who are also in need of increasing amounts of gore and violence to satisfy them with this show.

Hmmm... and yeah, this interwebs thing has GOT to go!

TONGO 10-24-16 03:29 PM

What I like about this show is the character development, storytelling, and chaos factor. I havent read the comic, so dont know how this will end.

Im stunned more comic book titles like this arent getting developed to a tv series. Vertigo comics Sandman would be as strong as Game Of Thrones, better than The Walking Dead even, if done correctly.

Derek Vinyard 10-24-16 03:43 PM

Daryl FTW.

TONGO 10-24-16 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1598096)
Daryl FTW.
Oh, when he punched Negan I cried out like he was dead already. :eek: :facepalm: Steels deduction was looking spot-on being the actor has other projects, but he was spared. Why?

Because Daryl is just that damn cool. :yup:

Captain Steel 10-24-16 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1598112)
Oh, when he punched Negan I cried out like he was dead already. :eek: :facepalm: Steels deduction was looking spot-on being the actor has other projects, but he was spared. Why?

Because Daryl is just that damn cool. :yup:
Notice he's a prisoner - which may mean a lot less camera time in the early part of this season while he filmed the next season of Ride with Norman Reedus. Just a guess.
Who knows - I don't know the schedules of these Hollywood mucky mucks! ;)

I've said this before too - Norman Reedus authentically looks like a (fill in disparaging remark regarding backwoods inbred white-trash rednecks and / or stoners). Seriously - he's got permanently stoned looking eyes! :D
(I did see him younger and clean cut in an HBO movie about Betty Page!)

TONGO 10-24-16 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1598206)
Notice he's a prisoner - which may mean a lot less camera time in the early part of this season while he filmed the next season of Ride with Norman Reedus. Just a guess.
Who knows - I don't know the schedules of these Hollywood mucky mucks! ;)

I've said this before too - Norman Reedus authentically looks like a (fill in disparaging remark regarding backwoods inbred white-trash rednecks and / or stoners). Seriously - he's got permanently stoned looking eyes! :D
(I did see him younger and clean cut in an HBO movie about Betty Page!)
Oh he's owning that backwoods Natural Born Killers thing to a T, and not a filthier sex symbol has there ever been. I still laugh remembering when that now dead blonde shot him thinking he was a Walker, I think it was season 2.

Does anyone know why they dont call them zombies? Is there a copyright thingy somewhere or is it just the shows personal pride they have never used that word? :laugh:

TONGO 10-24-16 07:40 PM

Oh I found the answer to my question...

Robert Kirkman reveals why zombies don't actually exist on "Walking Dead"

So, why are the living dead referred to as "walkers" instead of zombies on "The Walking Dead"?

One of the pleasures of watching AMC's new "Walking Dead" aftershow — "Talking Dead" — is the chance for fans to get answers to questions like that one. "Walking Dead" comics creator and TV series producer Robert Kirkman answered it on Sunday.

In the world of "The Walking Dead," he said, the concept of zombies doesn't exist.

"One of the things about this world is that people don't know how to shoot people in the head at first, and they're not familiar with zombies, per se," Kirkman said on "Talking Dead." "This isn't a world the (George) Romero movies exist in, for instance … because we don't want to portray it that way, we felt like having them be saying 'zombie' all the time would harken back to all of the zombie films which we, in the real world, know about.

"So by calling them something different, we're kind of giving a nod to … these people don't understand the situation. They've never seen this in pop culture, this is a completely new thing for them."

Captain Steel 10-24-16 07:46 PM

I don't know if it was a copyright thing (I don't think the word is owned by anyone - it's like "vampires" or "werewolves"), but I think Kirkman just didn't want his work associated with a million other "zombie" stories. Then it became a thing that a bunch of synonyms were used, but no one ever uttered the word zombie. Now, I'm not sure, but it seems that in the WD universe the word doesn't exist.

Originally the word didn't really mean flesh-eating dead people that rise enmasse due to some virus or radioactive meteorite or anything like that until the Romero age. Before that, it referred to a person in a death like state or a reanimated dead body raised by magic or spells that was under control of a Voodoo master.

TONGO 10-24-16 11:42 PM

Anyone here watch that Fear The Walking Dead? I havent heard alot of buzz, and curious if its worth checking out.

Nope1172 10-24-16 11:52 PM

In my opinion, the comics did it better... as usual.

Austruck 10-25-16 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1598369)
Anyone here watch that Fear The Walking Dead? I havent heard alot of buzz, and curious if its worth checking out.
I've been watching it off and on. I've seen all the episodes but sometimes they're on in the background. I thought it would tell us more about how things happened in the first place... and they sort of did. But they jumped right into sh*t going down, and now it feels more like a parallel show rather than a real prequel. After all, we started The Walking Dead with Rick having been in a coma while everything went bad, so Fear the Walking Dead really isn't much before that.

It seems to be exploring a slightly different side of group interaction and it's putting the cast into different situations, but it'll soon end up where TWD is in a lot of ways. Both shows are in fairly temperate climates. (FTWD is set in California/Mexico.) I think there are a lot of strong, interesting characters, but again ... how will this show avoid some of the same pitfalls of TWD if it lasts as long?

What would have been really different would have been to place a group someplace with a real winter. That's a whole different mind-set about survival, I would think.

Fabulous 10-25-16 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nope1172 (Post 1598375)
In my opinion, the comics did it better... as usual.
Panel for panel, I think the show did a really good job.

TONGO 10-25-16 09:02 PM

Jeffrey Dean Morgan Talks Brutal 'Walking Dead' Season Premiere: 'Emotionally I Was Completely Drained'

http://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/t...6&q=60&o=f&l=f

As hard as it was for us to watch the heartbreaking season seven premiere of The Walking Dead, Jeffrey Dean Morgan says, for him, it was even harder.

The 50-year-old actor -- who both horrified and impressed with his portrayal of the AMC drama's newest bad guy -- opened up to Interview magazine about the emotional toll Negan's fury took on him.

"Look, that whole episode was hard, and also because I did go through and smack everybody with Lucille at a certain point," he shared. "Everybody took a hit. All of that was hard. It got to the point where I didn't want to do it anymore. Emotionally I was completely drained -- all of us were, I would imagine."

Sunday's season premiere saw Negan take not one, but two victims, Abraham and Glenn, as he brutally bashed their heads in with his barbed wire-covered baseball bat, Lucille -- all in an attempt to break Andrew Lincoln's Rick.

"Andy and I just went through the ringer," Morgan explained. "It was a hard episode, and having to get there time and time again to do these horrible things… They're good people, I love them -- the whole cast -- so to keep riding them as hard as I was riding them, in-between takes it was like, god, you've got to catch your breath a little bit. It was just so ****ing heavy at all times."

"In the show that aired, there's no let up, and it was like that for 10 days for us," he added. "It wasn't just 40 minutes of it; it was 10 days of that, every day, all day."

According to Morgan, filming the episode wasn't just difficult because of the cruel way that Glenn and Abraham died. It was also hard for the cast to say goodbye to actors Steven Yeun, an original cast member, and Michael Cudlitz, who joined the series in season four.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jef...1FJ?li=BBnbfcL

Fabulous 10-25-16 09:25 PM

The episode was very well acted. JDM and Andrew Lincoln were fantastic.

doubledenim 10-25-16 09:42 PM

That was the hardest episode of tv I have watched. I don't know if I enjoyed it or not, but I doubt I will forget it.

doubledenim 10-26-16 03:44 AM

And the whole Glenn thing. Everybody has wanted that dude offed forever... but when it happened. That was one of the saddest things I have ever seen.

Movie Max 10-26-16 09:56 AM

The gurgling was a nice touch. I was not disappointed.

Austruck 10-26-16 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1598977)
And the whole Glenn thing. Everybody has wanted that dude offed forever... but when it happened. That was one of the saddest things I have ever seen.
Everyone has wanted him dead? Seriously? Wow, that is NOT the vibe I've ever gotten about that character.

Carl, sure. But hey... :D :D

TONGO 10-26-16 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 1599036)
Everyone has wanted him dead? Seriously? Wow, that is NOT the vibe I've ever gotten about that character.

Carl, sure. But hey... :D :D
Yeah Carl is now no longer annoying, yay! That hair though, he's gonna be doing shampoo commercials for Panteen.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/W_kOr9TfM6c/maxresdefault.jpg