Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Actors/Actresses that you are tired of seeing in every movie? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=66735)

SuperMetro 08-24-22 01:28 PM

Actors/Actresses that you are tired of seeing in every movie?

So I have been noticing that certain actors have been appearing everywhere for me. However, I keep getting fed up with their ubiquitousness. By no means are they bad actors, but here are some guys that I am tired of:
Dwayne Johnson: He does not seem to be very interesting and plays the same character in all of his movies. Why does everyone want to cast this guy?
Samuel L Jackson: I will get some flak for this one. He is really good, but it seems like people keep relying on him to be the charismatic potty mouth hero of the movie. Enough is enough I have had it with the mother f-ing Samuel L Jacksons in these mother f-ing movies. He is really just cast to do his thing and then say some quotable lines, but he is still a good actor, just soooo ubiquitous.
Jennifer Lopez: I do not understand why she is so focused on as she is not beautiful anymore and also can not sing from what I heard(She butchered Dream On by Aerosmith when I saw her on New Years Eve 2020). I need to do research as to why she gets so much publicity. She seems more like a celebrity.
Tom Hanks: Oh never mind he’s still fresh. I saw the Elvis movie, and while he gave a good performance, his character was still poorly written to be more evil as was in real life.

Well I would probably feel this way if I lived in a time where Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, or John Wayne who kept appearing in every single movie. Even the 50s had “The Rock” in movies but that one was Rock Hudson.

GulfportDoc 08-24-22 08:35 PM

I agree with your choices. I could go forever without seeing Jackson in another movie. There are a couple current ones on the tip of my tongue, but can't call them up.

I do remember in the '70s and '80s one could hardly see a movie without having either Charles Durning or Brian Dennehy in it. Good actors, but way over used.

Nah, we never got tired of seeing Bogart, C. Grant and others. They were bigger than life. Of course in those days movie stars were more like kings and queens; or at least like princes and princesses..:) Now they're so accessible and common that they hardly have any mystique.

Stirchley 08-26-22 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by SuperMetro (Post 2327924)
Jennifer Lopez: I do not understand why she is so focused on as she is not beautiful anymore
LOL. So we should just throw her in the dust heap now? :rolleyes:

Gideon58 08-26-22 03:30 PM

Ryan Reynolds made enough movies in the last two years that were pretty hard to distinguish from each other that I wish he would stick to his Mint Mobile commercials. There's no denying that Dwayne Johnson is overexposed as well.

Stirchley 08-26-22 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2328365)
Ryan Reynolds made enough movies in the last two years that were pretty hard to distinguish from each other that I wish he would stick to his Mint Mobile commercials.
I’ve never seen one of his movies & I don’t plan to start now.

John Dumbear 08-26-22 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2328372)
I’ve never seen one of his movies & I don’t plan to start now.
"Deadpool" is a must see.

Holden Pike 08-26-22 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by SuperMetro (Post 2327924)
Jennifer Lopez: I do not understand why she is so focused on as she is not beautiful anymore and also can not sing from what I heard(She butchered Dream On by Aerosmith when I saw her on New Years Eve 2020). I need to do research as to why she gets so much publicity. She seems more like a celebrity.
Since 2013 Jennifer Lopez has only appeared in six feature films (Marry Me, Hustlers, Second Act, Lila & Eve, The Boy Next Door, and Parker), as well as lending her voice to a couple of animated projects (Home and Ice Age: Continental Drift). Appearing in six feature films over a decade is hardly ubiquitous.

Stop watching "Access Hollywood" and "TMZ" and The Grammy Awards and I suspect you'll find she is in far from "every movie".

Thursday Next 08-26-22 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2328365)
Ryan Reynolds made enough movies in the last two years that were pretty hard to distinguish from each other that I wish he would stick to his Mint Mobile commercials. There's no denying that Dwayne Johnson is overexposed as well.
It's a successful formula - if you liked the last movie with Dwayne Johnson in a jungle, or Ryan Reynolds doing some wisecracking, you'll like the next one that is almost indistinguishable. Easy marketing. Works a treat on my 11 year old who likes them both and has watched Red Notice at least three times.

I'm not necessarily tired of him, but last time I went to the cinema, two of the trailers were for Idris Elba films and he was mentioned by the characters in the film I saw as well. I guess sometimes it's just the timing of when things are released.

Stirchley 08-26-22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2328375)
Since 2013 Jennifer Lopez has only appeared in six feature films (Marry Me, Hustlers, Second Act, Lila & Eve, The Boy Next Door, and Parker), as well as lending her voice to a couple of animated projects (Home and Ice Age: Continental Drift). Appearing in six feature films over a decade is hardly ubiquitous.

Stop watching "Access Hollywood" and "TMZ" and The Grammy Awards and I suspect you'll find she is in far from "every movie".
Interesting. In the current JLo documentary, she says she’s been in over 40 movies.

Holden Pike 08-26-22 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2328379)
Interesting. In the current JLo documentary, she says she’s been in over 40 movies.
Her first significant role was in Mi Familia in 1995. Not sure what she is counting, and she certainly has a couple in the can and a couple more in pre-production, but I clock her more like the low thirties. Again, with only six of those coming in the past decade.

Of course she starred on an NBC drama series during that period ("Shades of Blue"), produced other shows, and made dozens of music videos, but if we are talking feature films as the original topic stated JLo has not been very active of late. Her busiest stretch, movie-wise, was certainly 1995-2005 when she appeared in nineteen movies. But...that was quite a while ago, now.

KeyserCorleone 08-26-22 05:06 PM

Kinda Dwayne Johnson. And Chris Pratt's voicing Mario AND Garfield, and I'm weary of the first and he's not perfect for the latter. Get Downey, Jr.

Stirchley 08-26-22 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2328382)
Her first significant role was in Mi Familia in 1995. Not sure what she is counting, and she certainly has a couple in the can and a couple more in pre-production, but I clock her more like the low thirties. Again, with only six of those coming in the past decade.

Of course she starred on an NBC drama series during that period ("Shades of Blue"), produced other shows, and made dozens of music videos, but if we are talking feature films as the original topic stated JLo has not been very active of late. Her busiest stretch, movie-wise, was certainly 1995-2005 when she appeared in nineteen movies. But...that was quite a while ago, now.
It did seem an odd figure to me. (Especially as I’ve never seen her movies.) I was thinking Gee, I never knew she made so many movies.

beelzebubble 08-26-22 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2328375)

J Lo is ubiquitous. I see her everywhere. That is one thirsty lady. I don't watch Access Hollywood or TMZ but if I am on Facebook or Youtube there she is. The woman had three weddings to the same guy in the last three months. Just how many times do you need your picture taken romantically holding hands. Her narcissism has to be on another level. And Affleck looks like he is exhausted in almost every photo. Will they be starring in a vampire movie soon or something cause she looks like she is sucking the life out of him.

Captain Steel 08-26-22 11:30 PM

Re: Actors/Actresses that you are tired of seeing in every movie?

At times... Michael Caine and Samuel L. Jackson come to mind.
Both great actors, but they seem to pop up in more movies than baby bunnies in the springtime.

WHITBISSELL! 08-27-22 02:57 AM

I agree somewhat about Tom Hanks. And Olivia Colman is in a surprising amount of movies. I don't know if tired is the right word but I do wonder if she ever sleeps.

Gideon58 08-27-22 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by John Dumbear (Post 2328374)
"Deadpool" is a must see.
Deadpool is a must see, but everything he's done since the Deadpool movies has been pretty unremarkable.

Gideon58 08-27-22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2328418)
At times... Michael Caine and Samuel L. Jackson come to mind.
Both great actors, but they seem to pop up in more movies than baby bunnies in the springtime.
Now that you mention it, it is time for Michael Caine to go sit down someplace for awhile.

Stirchley 08-29-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2328417)
J Lo is ubiquitous. I see her everywhere. That is one thirsty lady. I don't watch Access Hollywood or TMZ but if I am on Facebook or Youtube there she is. The woman had three weddings to the same guy in the last three months. Just how many times do you need your picture taken romantically holding hands. Her narcissism has to be on another level. And Affleck looks like he is exhausted in almost every photo. Will they be starring in a vampire movie soon or something cause she looks like she is sucking the life out of him.
I believe she had 2 weddings not 3. Though she did have 4 wedding dresses if you count the Vegas one. Affleck does look exhausted. Maybe she’s *****ing him to death.

Interested to see how long this lasts.

Stirchley 08-29-22 02:21 PM

Isabelle Huppert the French actress is in everything. Never seen an actress make so many movies.

TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck x 09-12-22 03:45 PM

Lily James! She's the new Kiera Knightly.