Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   John Connor's Entertainment Log (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=61872)

John-Connor 07-07-20 06:23 AM

John Connor's Entertainment Log

All Is Lost
The Batman
The Blues Brothers
The Caine Mutiny
The Cruel Sea
Curse of the Golden Flower
Detroit Rock City
Eight Men Out
The Enemy Below
The Expanse
F for Fake ‘Vérités et Mensonges’
Galaxy Quest
Greyhound
i’m thinking of ending things
Irreversible
Jeremiah Johnson
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War
JCVD
The Last Dance
Leave Her to Heaven
McCabe & Mrs Miller
Phenomena
Quest
Raging Bull
The Silent Partner
Waltz with Bashir

John-Connor 07-07-20 07:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
THE SILENT PARTNER 1978 Daryl Duke

1h 46min | Crime | Drama | Thriller
Writers: Curtis Hanson, Anders Bodelsen
Cast: Elliott Gould, Christopher Plummer, Susannah York

Very good seventies bank heist thriller with excellent lead performances. A constantly involving cat and mouse story between bank teller and bank robber. Christopher Plummer does a total 360 from his role as Col. von Trapp and plays a sadistic weirdo psychopath bank robber. Perfectly cast opposite the always relaxed and comical Elliot Gould who plays the bank teller. Features a smooth jazzy soundtrack, lots of women without any clothes on, and some scenes with graphic violence. It’s also a Christmas movie in a Die Hard kind of way.

+

John-Connor 07-07-20 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
THE EXPANSE S4-2019

TV | Drama | Mystery | Sci-Fi
Creators: Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby
Cast: Steven Strait, Cas Anvar, Dominique Tipper, Wes Chatham

Season 4 started great, then got a bit average with the side stories. Until the amazing episode 9 'Saeculum' which totally saved this season and brought it back to the high level we're used to. I think they used most of the budget for ep 9. it looked top notch. Can't wait for the next season which is already finished.

Filming completed February 2020, which means the upcoming season did not experience any effects of the C-19 outbreak.

+

John-Connor 07-08-20 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ALL IS LOST 2013 Directed by J.C. Chandor

1h 46min | Action | Adventure | Drama
Director: J.C. Chandor
Writer: J.C. Chandor
Cast: Robert Redford

A superb one man show performance by Robert Redford as a man who is lost at sea and the hardships he faces in a battle against the beautiful but intimidating and unforgiving ocean.

This is a well directed 'man versus nature' film with impressive cinematography, skillfully capturing the vastness of the ocean. There isn’t much plot and zero supporting acts. It's all Redford all the time. Who gave a very refined and subtle performance expressing the many levels of survival instinct, desperation and willpower when a man comes face to face with his own mortality. He really successfully carries this movie all by himself.

If you like classic 'man vs nature' survival flicks like Castaway or if you're just a fan of Redford, I highly recommend giving All Is Lost a try.

John-Connor 07-08-20 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
QUEST1984 Directed by Saul Bass, Elaine Bass

30min | Short | Sci-Fi | Fantasy
Writer: Ray Bradbury
Cast: John Abbott, Noah Hathaway, David Comfort

Descendants of a crashed spaceship live in caves. A mysterious force creates a biosphere that causes them to age and die in just eight days.

Directed by the legendary graphic designer Saul Bass and his wife Elaine, based on Ray Bradbury’s short story Frost and Fire. The set design is amazing and the story concept is most intriguing but as with many fantasy/sci fi works from that era, it looked a bit dated at some points. Overall still a very good looking admirable short film with a very interesting plot that could potentially work as a full length film.

gbgoodies 07-09-20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2106650)
ALL IS LOST 2013 Directed by J.C. Chandor

1h 46min | Action | Adventure | Drama
Director: J.C. Chandor
Writer: J.C. Chandor
Cast: Robert Redford

A superb one man show performance by Robert Redford as a man who is lost at sea and the hardships he faces in a battle against the beautiful but intimidating and unforgiving ocean.

This is a well directed 'man versus nature' film with impressive cinematography, skillfully capturing the vastness of the ocean. There isn’t much plot and zero supporting acts. It's all Redford all the time. Who gave a very refined and subtle performance expressing the many levels of survival instinct, desperation and willpower when a man comes face to face with his own mortality. He really successfully carries this movie all by himself.

If you like classic 'man vs nature' survival flicks like Castaway or if you're just a fan of Redford, I highly recommend giving All Is Lost a try.

All Is Lost is a great movie. What did you think of the ending?

John-Connor 07-09-20 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2107045)
WARNING: "All is Lost ending" spoilers below
Love it because there are two ways to look at it;
1- he died/drowned then 'the hand of god' took him out of the water.
2- he gave up waiting to drown then a rescuers hand took him out of the water.
It's a 'make your own conclusion' ending, and it worked here.

John-Connor 07-09-20 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War 2020

1h 30min | Animation | Action | Sci-Fi
(Voices: Matt Ryan, Jerry O'Connell, Taissa Farmiga, Jason O'Mara, Rosario Dawson, Camilla Luddington, Stuart Allan, Rebecca Romijn, Shemar Moore)

Darkseid has defeated or captured most of his enemies and now reigns supreme as a 'new god'. Clark Kent is tattoo'd up with Kryptonite and in order to save the planet he has to call up on unlikely heroes and even villains to once again take the war to Darkseid.

John Constantine was a nice addition to the team, taking on a role very similar to Dr. Strange in Infinity War. This is basically DCAU's version of Infinity War. It comes close to the level of some of my favorite DC animated movies like; The Dark Knight Returns pt.1+2 and The Flashpoint Paradox.

+

Wyldesyde19 07-09-20 04:14 PM

I really wish that the DC shared universe would go ahead and introduce Darkseid already.

John-Connor 07-09-20 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2107208)
I really wish that the DC shared universe would go ahead and introduce Darkseid already.
They heavily hinted his arrival in batman v supes and that was 2016, so I agree it's about time.

Wyldesyde19 07-09-20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2107212)
They heavily hinted his arrival in batman v supes and that was 2016, so I agree it's about time.
I’d like to see how the next few films will tie into together. Desthstroke was introduced at the end of Justice League meeting Luthor where they discussed the prospects of creating their team.
Then nothing....that was, what? 3 years ago?

John-Connor 07-09-20 04:49 PM

yup, and The Batman expected 2021 with Colin Farrell / Robert Pattinson seems to be going more the Joker route so I doubt he'll make an appearance there.

Wyldesyde19 07-09-20 05:00 PM

He was originally scheduled to appear (Deathstroke) in The Batman but that was when Affleck was on board to direct. Who knows now?

John-Connor 07-09-20 05:08 PM

Colin Farrell/Penguin, Paul Dano/The Riddler, Zoë Kravitz/Catwoman.

Wyldesyde19 07-09-20 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2107220)
Colin Farrell/Penguin, Paul Dano/The Riddler, Zoë Kravitz/Catwoman.
Yeah, but I mean will he appear at the end credits as before at least to maybe recruit some of them for Luthor?
Too many dangling threads

gbgoodies 07-10-20 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2107045)
Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2107072)
WARNING: "All is Lost ending" spoilers below
Love it because there are two ways to look at it;
1- he died/drowned then 'the hand of god' took him out of the water.
2- he gave up waiting to drown then a rescuers hand took him out of the water.
It's a 'make your own conclusion' ending, and it worked here.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about the "All is Lost" ending!!!" spoilers below
I loved it too, but I can't decide which way I lean. Sometimes I think he died, but then when I start thinking about it, I start to wonder, (or maybe hope), that he lived.

John-Connor 07-12-20 05:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Eight Men Out 1988 Directed by John Sayles

1h 59min | Drama | History | Sport
Writer: Eliot Asinof
Stars: John Cusack, David Strathairn, Christopher Lloyd, Charlie Sheen, Clifton James, Jace Alexander, D. B. Sweeney

Sports drama about the Chicago White Sox and the complicated events that lead up to the ‘Black Sox scandal’ during the 1919 World Series.

The film goes into the motivations of players who were playing for less than they felt they deserved. Perfect targets for game fixers. One of them "Shoeless" Joe Jackson who many feel should be in the BB Hall of Fame. Eight Men Out is not just a great baseball film, the main theme is something that affects all sports, human integrity under pressure and temptation.

John-Connor 07-12-20 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Last Dance 2020 Directed by Jason Hehir

TV | Documentary | Biography | History | Sports
Stars: Michael Jordan, Phil Jackson, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Steve Kerr

Ten part documentary about one of the greatest sports figures and of the greatest sports dynasties of all time Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls.

I can be pretty short with this write-up. If you enjoy sports or winning in general this is a must see.

John-Connor 07-13-20 05:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Enemy Below 1957 Directed by Dick Powell

1h 38min | Action | Adventure | Drama | War
Writers: Wendell Mayes, D.A. Rayner
Cast: Robert Mitchum, Curd Jürgens, David Hedison, Theodore Bikel, Russell Collins, Kurt Kreuger, Frank Albertson, Biff Elliot

Classic fifties WWII naval battle film in beautiful CinemaScope. An American destroyer vs a German U-Boat. In a gripping strategic and tactical battle between two captains played by Robert Mitchum and Curd Jürgens. Both with excellent performances. Very entertaining watch, earning a spot at #35 on my war top 100. Recommended if you're into the war genre.

-

John-Connor 07-13-20 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Greyhound 2020 Aaron Schneider

1h 31min | Action | Drama | History
Writers: Tom Hanks, C.S. Forester
Cast: Tom Hanks, Elisabeth Shue, Stephen Graham

Tom Hanks vs a 'Wolfpack' of German submarines. Constantly well acted with good looking cgi naval battles but never great or memorable, except for maybe one standout aerial shot. The script features a lot of coordinates, maybe too much; "Right full rudder....left full rudder" x 10. Overall it's never bad or low quality, just forgettable.

-

rambond 07-13-20 08:59 AM

Re: John Connor's Entertainment Log

You should check the batman forever thread i posted a deleted scene not in the theatrical version

John-Connor 07-13-20 12:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Leave Her to Heaven 1945 Directed by John M. Stahl

1h 50min | Drama | Film-Noir | Romance | Thriller
Writers: Jo Swerling, Ben Ames Williams
Cast: Gene Tierney, Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain

"Patchouli"

Very subtle and creepy noir thriller with a good slow build-up. Truly mesmerizing performance by Gene Tierney, displaying the highest level of calculated evil. Also thought they did a perfect job casting Jeanne Crain for the role of Ruth. The interior and wardrobe design looked exquisite. And so did the color scheme, it seemed coordinated with the leading lady's eye-color. Loved the opening scene on the train and the final scene.

Citizen Rules 07-13-20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2108233)
Leave Her to Heaven 1945 Directed by John M. Stahl

Very subtle and creepy noir thriller with a good slow build-up. Truly mesmerizing performance by Gene Tierney, displaying the highest level of calculated evil. Also thought they did a perfect job casting Jeanne Crain for the role of Ruth. The interior and wardrobe design looked exquisite. And so did the color scheme, it seemed coordinated with the leading lady's eye-color. Loved the opening scene on the train and the final scene.
Loved that you used aqua for the title! I get it!.. So cool that you watched this and loved it to. It's one of my favorite films both for it's psychotically cold, lead character and for it's visually.

Seeing how you liked it, maybe take a look at some of my other Top 10 profile movies:)

John-Connor 07-14-20 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2108260)
Loved that you used aqua for the title! I get it!.. So cool that you watched this and loved it to. It's one of my favorite films both for it's psychotically cold, lead character and for it's visually.

Seeing how you liked it, maybe take a look at some of my other Top 10 profile movies:)
Pickup on South Street will probably be the next one, or the colorized version of My Man Godfrey.

rambond 07-14-20 08:11 AM

@John-Connor by any chance you will post something about those erotic dramas of the 90s, for example:
Damage 1992
Whispers in the dark 1992

John-Connor 07-14-20 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by rambond (Post 2108645)
@John-Connor by any chance you will post something about those erotic dramas of the 90s, for example:
Damage 1992
Whispers in the dark 1992
Sorted my watchlist to 90s/romance/drama/thriller cause 'erotic' is not a tag, and these titles came up;
La Belle Noiseuse 1991
Eyes Wide Shut 1999
Color of Night 1994
Unlawful Entry 1992
The Age of Innocence 1993
Shattered 1991
Diary of a Hitman 1991
Open Your Eyes 1997
M. Butterfly 1993

You could/should try Wild Things '98, Wild at Heart '90 and The Hot Spot '90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTvLmW6ecno

rambond 07-14-20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2108651)
Sorted my watchlist to 90s/romance/drama/thriller cause 'erotic' is not a tag, and these titles came up;
La Belle Noiseuse 1991
Eyes Wide Shut 1999
Color of Night 1994
Unlawful Entry 1992
The Age of Innocence 1993
Shattered 1991
Diary of a Hitman 1991
Open Your Eyes 1997
M. Butterfly 1993

You could/should try Wild Things '98, Wild at Heart '90 and The Hot Spot '90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTvLmW6ecno
Great movies

John-Connor 07-16-20 04:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The Immortal 2019 ‘L'immortale’ Directed by Marco D’Amore

1h 56min | Crime | Drama |
Writers: Leonardo Fasoli, Maddalena Ravagli
Cast: Marco D'Amore, Giuseppe Aiello, Martina Attanasio, Salvatore D'Onofrio

If you like good crime series and are not familiar with Gomorrah stop reading, logg off, call in sick, and binge it.

L'immortale is a spin off prequel and a sequel to the events after the third season of the TV series. Similar to Deadwood and Serenity this can't be watched without having seen the series.

Ciro Di Marzio 'The immortal', a beautiful and deep character played by one of the best upcoming and multi talented Italian dramatic actors Marco D’Amore. Who also directed it. The film focuses on the life and times of Ciro's past and present. A compelling crime film, if it was an episode it would’ve been a strong one with the same grim and gritty atmosphere as the series. It also has the same Mokadelic score which is fantastic as always.

-

"Canzone Bambina mia" *clip contains major spoilers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3GTCWb1kYg

John-Connor 07-21-20 04:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Lady Snowblood 1973 ‘修羅雪姫’ Directed by Toshiya Fujita
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TangibleDi...ndor-small.gif

Matewan 1987 Directed by John Sayles

Reign of Fire 2002 Directed by Rob Bowman

-

The Physician 2013 Directed by Philipp Stölzl

-

Centurion 2010 Directed by Neil Marshall

Jerry Before Seinfeld 2017 Directed by Michael Bonfiglio

+

Exodus: Gods and Kings 2014 Directed by Ridley Scott
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fe/e8...87b89a7424.gif
+

The Grey 2011 Directed by Joe Carnahan
https://24.media.tumblr.com/694698cb...igp0o1_500.gif
-

Ninja Scroll 1993 ‘獣兵衛忍風帖’ Directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri
https://cdn.lowgif.com/full/d5c6cad2...e-on-giphy.gif
+

Somewhere in Time 1980 Directed by Jeannot Szwarc
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vrOBIrvg-...go4_r1_500.gif
+

The Man Who Knew Too Much 1956 Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
https://66.media.tumblr.com/2bf5dd68...2uko1_400.gifv

The Lady Vanishes 1938 Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
https://i.imgur.com/2As0Wek.gif"]htt...om/2As0Wek.gif

Metropolis 1927 Directed by Fritz Lang
https://i.imgur.com/uk9N8bE.gif

John-Connor 08-12-20 06:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Curse of the Golden Flower 2006 ‘滿城盡帶黃金甲’ Directed by Zhang Yimou

1h 51min | Drama | History | Action
Writers: Zhihong Bian, Yu Cao
Cast: Yun-Fat Chow, Li Gong, Jay Chou

Shakespearean / ancient Greek family tragedy style drama. About the Royal family and the Emperor of China during the Tang dynasty. Well acted film with out of this world production design, cinematography and hair and makeup. The storytelling wasn't really up to par but the visuals more than make up for that. It's truly one of the most gorgeous films I've seen.

+

Jerry Seinfeld: 23 Hours To Kill 2020 Directed by Joe DeMaio

-
Gettysburg 1993 Directed by Ronald F. Maxwell
+
The Thin Red Line 1998 Directed by Terrence Malick
+
The Way Back 2010 Directed by Peter Weir
+
-
Dead Man’s Letters 1986 ‘Письма мертвого человека’ Directed by Konstantin Lopushansky

Bill Burr: I’m Sorry You Feel That Way 2014 Directed by Jay Karas

-
Gallipoli 1981 Directed by Peter Weir
+
Curse of the Golden Flower 2006 ‘滿城盡帶黃金甲’ Directed by Zhang Yimou
+
Adam Sandler: 100% Fresh 2018 Directed by Steven Brill
+
Togo 2019 Directed by Ericson Core
+
Bacurau 2019 Directed by Kleber Mendonça Filho, Juliano Dornelles
+
-
Ran 1985 ‘乱’ Directed by Akira Kurosawa (Remastered)
-
-
War and Peace 1966 ‘Война и мир’ Directed by Sergey Bondarchuk

+

John-Connor 09-06-20 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i’m thinking of ending things 2020 Directed by Charlie Kaufman

2h 14min | Drama | Thriller | Fantasy
Writers: Charlie Kaufman, Iain Reid
Cast: Jessie Buckley, Jesse Plemons, Toni Collette, David Thewlis

Was that a jab at Zemeckis? Thanks for the A Woman Under the Influence spoilers Charlie!
Tarantino-like with the many references to other works, only Kaufman taps from a different artistic lane. He also dissects Baby It’s Cold Outside in a way reminiscent of Reservoir Dogs and Like A Virgin.
Captivating and fascinating mindf'ck story. Eccentric delivery with great acting and screenplay. Wonderful music and dance piece just before the final scene!

"There is no Genius Edition!"
"Watch the world through this glass, pre-interpreted for us. And it infects our brain. We become it. Like a Virus."
"Color is the deeds of light, it's the deeds and suffering."
+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFJ7ie_yGU

rambond 09-06-20 04:50 PM

i just watched Never Cry Wolf. and i have to say it s one of the best 80s films, it entered the top 5 best 80s films in my list.

John-Connor 09-06-20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by rambond (Post 2122603)
i just watched Never Cry Wolf. and i have to say it s one of the best 80s films, it entered the top 5 best 80s films in my list.
Been on my watch-list for a while, I'll check it out soon rambond, thnx for the heads-up!

John-Connor 09-07-20 09:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)

The Human Condition I: No Greater Love 1959 ‘人間の條件 第1部純愛篇’ Directed by Masaki Kobayashi

+

Never Cry Wolf 1983 Directed by Carroll Ballard

When the synthesizers kicked in during the opening credits I already knew this was going to be one of my new eighties faves. Great recommendation rambond. 👍
+

The Bandit 1996 ‘Eşkıya’ Directed by Yavuz Turgul

John-Connor 09-08-20 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Night to Remember 1958 Directed by Roy Ward Baker

The Train 1964 John Frankenheimer

Great War Thriller starring Boss Lancaster. Newly added to my War films top 100 at #26. And my 1960's top 100 at #33.

+

The Vanishing 1988 ‘Spoorloos’ Directed by George Sluizer

Re-watched Spoorloos/ The Vanishing last night. I was way too young when I saw it for the first time. Very suspenseful and atmospheric abduction Mystery/Thriller, right up there with Zodiac and Don't Look Now. One of the best Dutch films ever made. (Edited my '88 top ten, The Vanishing is in at 5th place)

+

Mystery Train 1989 Directed by Jim Jarmusch

https://i.gifer.com/DLhZ.gif

+

Mystery Train

John-Connor 04-15-21 09:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Port of Shadows 1938 ‘Le quai des brumes’ Marcel Carné

+

Umberto D. 1952 Vittorio De Sica

+

Red Beard 1965 ‘赤ひげ’ Akira Kurosawa

+

A Brighter Summer Day 1991 ‘牯嶺街少年殺人事件’ Edward Yang

Incendies 2010 Denis Villeneuve
https://i.imgur.com/Cb4ecUC.gif
+

Kon-Tiki 2012 Joachim Rønning, Espen Sandberg

Coming 2 America 2021 Craig Brewer

John-Connor 04-17-21 08:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The Cranes Are Flying 1957 ‘Летят журавли’ Mikhail Kalatozov

+

Malena 2000 Giuseppe Tornatore

Tema di malena · Ennio Morricone

+

A Separation 2011 ‘جدایی نادر از سیمین’ Asghar Farhadi

+

John-Connor 08-26-21 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2123636)
The Cruel Sea 1953 Charles Frend

2h 6min | Drama | War
Writers: Nicholas Monsarrat, Eric Ambler
Cast: Jack Hawkins, Donald Sinden, John Stratto, Virginia McKenna

A classic World War II naval 'battle of the Atlantic' film, based on the best selling novel by former naval officer Nicholas Monsarrat. The Cruel Sea portrays a long period of battle between the Royal Navy and German U-Boats and the effects it had on personal life during this period.

The film features some impressive dramatic storytelling, but it's the British realism that sets this film apart from the many films about this particular chapter of WWII. With masterful performances by Jack Hawkins and Donald Sinden bringing character and a personal touch to the story.

One of the best WWII naval battle films I've seen so far. Solid on all fronts, it's on the BFI's Top 100 British Films list and made two of my own lists; top War films and top 1950’s films. Recommended for viewers who enjoyed films like Das Boat and Master and Commander.

John-Connor 08-31-21 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2146349)
Buffalo ’66 1998 Vincent Gallo

Disturbingly beautiful romantic dark comedy. This Vincent Gallo is a talented dude. The film, although totally American, felt like a European art house flick at times. I like where Gallo took the film and how it ended. Christina Ricci :love:. Also dope cameo's by Mickey Rourke and Jean Michael Vincent.

+
Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2212094)
Deathtrap 1982 Sidney Lumet

Much better than 'Clue' and in the league of 'Sleuth', a highly entertaining who-dunnit/who'll-do-it. And one of the best 'one-location movies' ever.
Starring Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve.
+
Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2226321)
Blue Thunder 1983 John Badham

Cool throwback 80's action flick (pre Air Wolf) starring; Roy Scheider, Warren Oates, Candy Clark, Daniel Stern and Malcolm McDowell.

+
Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2215985)
Nomadland 2020 Chloé Zhao

+

Greenland 2020 Ric Roman Waugh

John-Connor 08-31-21 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2212259)
Night Falls on Manhattan 1996 Sidney Lumet
Underrated crime drama/thriller starring: Ron Leibman, James Gandolfini, Richard Dreyfuss, Shiek Mahmud-Bey, Andy García, Ian Holm, Lena Olin, Bobby Cannavale.

John-Connor 08-31-21 06:43 AM

JCVD 2008 Mabrouk El Mechri

1h 37min | Comedy | Drama | Action | Crime
Writers: Mabrouk El Mechri, Frédéric Benudis, Christophe Turpin
Cast: Jean-Claude Van Damme, François Damiens, Zinedine Soualem, Karim Belkhadra Jean-François Wolff, Anne Paulicevich, John Flanders, Janine Horsburgh

Fourth wall breaking film with a heartfelt and compassion evoking performance by Van Damme. His dramatic acting here is as beautiful as his kicks. Besides being a great thriller it's also a great critique at the self-destructive side of a 'Hollywood career'.

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2225541)
Stray 2020 Elizabeth Lo

Very well made documentary following the life of stray dogs in Istanbul. Although it did leave me with a lot of unanswered questions about the animals involved.

Minari 2020 Lee Isaac Chung

Released August '21 over here. 'Glenn' came a long way, solid performance by Steven Yeun, last time I saw him was in Burning/Beoning where he also made quite an impression. The cinematography is well done and overall it's pretty good. Perhaps I expected a bit too much because of the Oscar hype.

John-Connor 09-01-21 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Blues Brothers 1980 John Landis

2h 13min | Action | Adventure | Comedy | Music
Cast: Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Carrie Fisher, John Candy, James Brown, John Lee Hooker, Steven Spielberg

We're On A Mission From God.
The first and last time I saw The Blues Brothers I was around six or seven years old and it turns out my memory of it was totally inaccurate. Had such a blast watching this, can't believe I waited so long to watch this as an adult.
John Landis has the magic touch, amazing performances, phenomenal music and cameos by many musical legends. It's probably the best and coolest (never corny, overly expressive/happy) Musical I've seen and features the best chase scene in a musical ever. Besides that, it's a massive eighties cult classic that instantly brings up all my nostalgic feels for that era.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...os9o1_500.gifv

John-Connor 09-24-21 12:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
(2000-2009 countdown preparation)

Irreversible 2002 ‘Irréversible’ Gaspar Noé

1h 37min | Drama | Mystery | Crime | Thriller
Writer: Gaspar Noé
Cast: Monica Bellucci, Vincent Cassel, Albert Dupontel

TIME DESTROYS EVERYTHING.

Despite my rating I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone, unless someone is specifically looking/asking for a really disturbing, out of comfort zone taking film. Well made with memorable performances by the entire cast. The film shows extremely brutal and traumatic experiences, shot and told in a very creative, original way. Deliberately made to shock, disturb and provoke thought, it definitely accomplished what it set out to do.

Antwone Fisher 2002 Denzel Washington

2h | Biography | Drama | Inspired by a true story.
Writer: Antwone Fisher
Cast: Derek Luke, Denzel Washington, Joy Bryant, Viola Davis

Tagline:
Fight fear. Face truth. Embrace life.
Picked this one from @rauldc's latest top 100 list. Denzel’s directorial debut, an exceptional and powerful coming of age drama with strong performances by both leading actors. In at #6 on my fav Denzel films list.

+

Below 2002 David Twohy

1h 45min | Action | Horror | Mystery | Thriller
Writers: Lucas Sussman, Darren Aronofsky
Cast: Matthew Davis, Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Zach Galifianakis, Scott Foley, Holt McCallany, Nick Chinlund, Jason Flemyng

Synopsis:
In the dark silence of the sea during World War II, the submarine USS Tiger Shark prowls on what should be a routine rescue mission. But for the shell-shocked crew, trapped together in the sub’s narrow corridors and constricted spaces, this is about to become a journey into the sensory delusions, mental deceptions and runaway fears that lurk just below the surface of the ocean.

John-Connor 09-26-21 06:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Brick 2005 Rian Johnson

1h 50min | Drama | Mystery | Thriller
Writer: Rian Johnson
Cast: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Nora Zehetner, Lukas Haas

Brick was high on my 2000's must-watch-list mostly because of my love for Knives Out. Challenging effort by Rian Johnson, the 'Noir' genre is a difficult task. Good performance by JGL, Nora Zehetner attractive but not in a femme-fatale way. Ultimately incohesive film, so not a contender for my list.

Che: Part I & II 2008 Steven Soderbergh

2h 14min / 2h 15min | Biography | Drama | History | War
Writers: Peter Buchman, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara
Cast: Benicio del Toro, Julia Ormond, Oscar Isaac, Rodrigo Santoro, Joaquim de Almeida

Lisa Howard : What is the most important quality for a revolutionary to possess?
Ernesto Che Guevara : El amor… Love.
- &

Steven Soderbergh films I've seen so far, ranked:

1. Ocean's Eleven
  2. Out of Sight
  3. Ocean's Thirteen
  4. No Sudden Move
  5. Traffic
  6. Che Part I & II
  7. Erin Brockovich
  8. Solaris
  9. Logan Lucky
  10. Ocean's Twelve
  11. The Informant

John-Connor 09-27-21 09:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Dog Soldiers 2002 Neil Marshall

1h 45min | Thriller | Action | Horror
Writer: Neil Marshall
Cast: Sean Pertwee, Kevin McKidd, Emma Cleasby, Liam Cunningham, Thomas Lockyer, Darren Morfitt, Chris Robson, Leslie Simpson, Tina Landini

That was fun! Contains a lot of elements I enjoyed from Predator. Should have watched it sooner, shout out @The Rodent for bringing it to my attention.

Shotgun Stories 2007 Jeff Nichols

1h 32min | Drama | Thriller
Writer: Jeff Nichols
Cast: Michael Shannon, Douglas Ligon, Barlow Jacobs

Jeff Nichols’s directorial debut is not as strong as Take Shelter or Mud but it's still a very good debut. The atmosphere, setting and style remind me of Scott Cooper's Out of The Furnace.

Nichols films, ranked and rated:
  1. Mud
  2. Take Shelter
  3. Shotgun Stories
    +

John-Connor 09-27-21 01:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Broken Flowers 2005 Jim Jarmusch

1h 46min | Comedy | Drama | Mystery | Romance
Writers: Jim Jarmusch, Bill Raden, Sara Driver
Cast: Bill Murray, Julie Delpy, Sharon Stone, Tilda Swinton, Jessica Lange, Jeffrey Wright, Frances Conroy, Alexis Dziena

The Suicide Squad 2021 James Gunn

2h 12min | Action | Adventure | Comedy | Sci-Fi
Writer: James Gunn
Cast: Margot Robbie, Idris Elba, John Cena, Joel Kinnaman, Sylvester Stallone, Viola Davis, David Dastmalchian, Daniela Melchior, Peter Capaldi, Michael Rooker, Jai Courtney, Alice Braga, Taika Waititi

+

Zack Snyder’s Justice League 2021

4h 2min | Action | Adventure | Fantasy | Sci-Fi
Writers: Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Zack Snyder
Cast: Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller, Jeremy Irons, Connie Nielsen, Diane Lane, J.K. Simmons, Ray Fisher, Amy Adams, Ciarán Hinds, Amber Heard, Joe Morton, Ray Porter, Jesse Eisenberg, Jared Leto, Willem Dafoe

+

John-Connor 09-28-21 06:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Eden Lake 2008 James Watkins

1h 31min | Horror | Thriller
Writer: James Watkins
Cast: Kelly Reilly, Michael Fassbender, Jack O'Connell

So if you're thinking of taking your girl/boyfriend on a romantic getaway to a very remote wooded area. Watch this movie first, you'll probably change your mind and book a nice busy resort or hotel with lots of cameras and witnesses around.
Fast paced horror thriller with a really f'd up but convincing villain played by Jack O'Connell. Added to my top 100 horror films list @ #67.
+

The Last King of Scotland 2006 Kevin Macdonald

2h 3min | Biography | Drama | History | Thriller
Writers: Peter Morgan, Jeremy Brock, Giles Foden
Cast: Forest Whitaker, James McAvoy, Gillian Anderson, Kerry Washington, David Oyelowo

Because it's a biographical film the choice of story delivery here almost ruined the film.
But the excellent performances, especially Whitakers, save it.

Thief 09-28-21 11:15 AM

There are a bunch of films that you've listed that I should either watch or rewatch. Still haven't seen Brick, Che, Eden Lake, The Suicide Squad, or Broken Flowers, and should probably give a serious rewatch to stuff like Below, Dog Soldiers, and The Last King of Scotland.

John-Connor 09-28-21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2241584)
There are a bunch of films that you've listed that I should either watch or rewatch. Still haven't seen Brick, Che, Eden Lake, The Suicide Squad, or Broken Flowers, and should probably give a serious rewatch to stuff like Below, Dog Soldiers, and The Last King of Scotland.
Two months left for deadline, so there's still time, but these titles were all first time watches/homework for me and none of them made my top 50 of the 2000's. I'll post a bunch of serious contenders in your recommendation thread.

John-Connor 09-30-21 08:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thunderheart 1992 Michael Apted

1h 59min | Crime | Mystery | Thriller | (Modern western) | Based on actual occurrences of the '70s
Writer: John Fusco
Cast: Val Kilmer, Sam Shepard, Graham Greene, Fred Ward

(Val Kilmer did a solid job but I feel this project was set up with Keanu Reeves in mind for the lead role?)
+

Cry Macho 2021 Clint Eastwood

1h 44min | Drama | Thriller | Western
Writers: Nick Schenk, N. Richard Nash
Cast: Clint Eastwood, Eduardo Minett, Natalia Traven

The Bedford Incident 1965 James B. Harris

1h 42min | Drama | Thriller
Writers: Mark Rascovich, James Poe
Cast: Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier, James MacArthur, Martin Balsam, Donald Sutherland

John-Connor 10-06-21 10:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Burn After Reading 2008 Ethan Coen, Joel Coen

1h 36min | Comedy | Crime | Drama
Writers: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Cast: George Clooney, Frances McDormand, Brad Pitt, John Malkovich, Tilda Swinton, Richard Jenkins, Elizabeth Marvel, David Rasche, J.K. Simmons

Mid-tier Coen? Maybe, but I still had a lot of fun watching this star-packed dark comedy. Hope it makes an appearance on the upcoming 2000's countdown.
+

The Good Thief 2002 Neil Jordan

1h 49min | Action | Crime | Drama | Romance | Thriller
Writers: Auguste Le Breton, Jean-Pierre Melville, Neil Jordan
Cast: Nick Nolte, Tchéky Karyo, Nutsa Kukhianidze, Saïd Taghmaoui, Ralph Fiennes

If you're in the process of making the ultimate 'heist-movie' list, then this is a must watch. If not, it's still cool to see Nick Nolte try to break the bank at the Monte Carlo Casino Riviera. Inspired by the classic Melville film Bob le Flambeur.
+

rambond 10-06-21 01:10 PM

Thunderheart is a great early 90s thriller, a very odd role for val kilmer

John-Connor 10-06-21 01:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Twilight Samurai 2002 Yoji Yamada

2h 9min | Drama | History | Romance
Writers: Shûhei Fujisawa, Yôji Yamada, Yoshidaka Asama
Cast: Hiroyuki Sanada, Rie Miyazawa, Nenji Kobayashi

Exquisite down to earth Samurai drama with a lot of heart and a beautiful romance. Excellent performance by Hiroyuki Sanada, probably the best I've seen by him so far. Serious 2000's countdown ballot contender. Best Foreign Language Film nominee at the 2004 Academy Awards.
+

Big Fish 2003 Tim Burton

2h 5min | Adventure | Drama | Fantasy | Romance
Writers: Daniel Wallace, John August
Cast: Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, Jessica Lange, Helena Bonham Carter, Alison Lohman, Robert Guillaume, Marion Cotillard, Steve Buscemi, Danny DeVito

A Tim Burton remix of Forrest Gump & Little Big Man.
+

John-Connor 10-12-21 04:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
61* 2001 Billy Crystal

2h 9min | Biography | Drama | History | Sport
Writer: Hank Steinberg
Cast: Barry Pepper, Thomas Jane, Bruce McGill

A Huey P. Newton Story 2001 A Spike Lee Joint

1h 26min | Documentary | Biography | Drama
Writer: Roger Guenveur Smith
Cast: Roger Guenveur Smith

John-Connor 10-12-21 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Black Book 2006 Paul Verhoeven

2h 25min | Drama |Thriller | War
Writers: Gerard Soeteman, Paul Verhoeven
Cast: Carice van Houten, Sebastian Koch, Thom Hoffman, Halina Reijn, Waldemar Kobus, Matthias Schoenaerts

+

gbgoodies 10-14-21 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2245104)
61* 2001 Billy Crystal

61* is one of the few baseball movies that I haven't seen yet, but I have it on DVD so I'll try to watch it for the 2000s countdown.

John-Connor 10-14-21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2245648)
61* is one of the few baseball movies that I haven't seen yet, but I have it on DVD so I'll try to watch it for the 2000s countdown.
To give you a comparison, it's not as good as The Natural but better than Eight Men Out imo. TV movie so a bit smaller production scale but the directing, story and performances more than make up for that. I predict you'll like/love this one, enjoy!🙂

John-Connor 10-14-21 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gosford Park 2001 Robert Altman (Remastered)

2h 11min | Comedy | Drama | Mystery
Writers: Julian Fellowes, Robert Altman
Cast: Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Camilla Rutherford, Charles Dance, Tom Hollander, Jeremy Northam, Bob Balaban, James Wilby, Claudie Blakley, Laurence Fox, Trent Ford, Ryan Phillippe, Stephen Fry, Ron Webster, Kelly Macdonald, Clive Owen, Helen Mirren, Eileen Atkins, Emily Watson, Derek Jacobi, Richard E. Grant
+

Thief 10-15-21 01:53 PM

I've seen Gosford Park a couple of times; first time in theaters, and I like it a lot. If anything, it's worth it to see Helen Mirren and Maggie Smith go at it. Also, a fairly young Kelly Macdonald.

John-Connor 10-18-21 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2245944)
I've seen Gosford Park a couple of times; first time in theaters, and I like it a lot. If anything, it's worth it to see Helen Mirren and Maggie Smith go at it. Also, a fairly young Kelly Macdonald.
Yeah great cast and great directing by Altman. Ballot worthy "Whodunnit?". :yup:

xSookieStackhouse 10-18-21 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2245817)

Cast: Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Camilla Rutherford, Charles Dance, Tom Hollander, Jeremy Northam, Bob Balaban, James Wilby, Claudie Blakley, Laurence Fox, Trent Ford, Ryan Phillippe, Stephen Fry, Ron Webster, Kelly Macdonald, Clive Owen, Helen Mirren, Eileen Atkins, Emily Watson, Derek Jacobi, Richard E. Grant
+
y it says remastered? is there another movie of it?

John-Connor 10-18-21 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? 2000 Joel Coen (REWATCH)

1h 47min | Adventure | Comedy | Crime | Music
Writers: Homer, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
Cast: George Clooney, John Turturro, Tim Blake, Nelson Chris, Thomas King, John Goodman, Holly Hunter

+

I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow

xSookieStackhouse 10-18-21 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2246513)
No, 'Remaster (also digital remastering and digitally remastered) refers to improving the quality of the sound or the picture, or both, of previously made recordings, whether audiophonic, cinematic or videographic.' ;)
ohhhh okay thought so. did they do the 4k?

John-Connor 10-18-21 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by xSookieStackhouse (Post 2246516)
ohhhh okay thought so. did they do the 4k?
They did 4K in 2018 but I watched the 2K restoration. If you like 'whodunnits' I recommend this one, its has Ryan Phillipe. ;)

John-Connor 10-18-21 05:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
STARDUST 2007 Matthew Vaughn

2h 7min | Adventure | Family | Fantasy | Romance
Writers: Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn, Neil Gaiman
Cast: Claire Danes, Charlie Cox, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro, Sienna Miller:love:, Ricky Gervais, Jason Flemyng, Mark Strong, Ian McKellen, Peter O'Toole, Rupert Everett, Kate Magowan, Henry Cavill

xSookieStackhouse 10-18-21 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2246517)
They did 4K in 2018 but I watched the 2K restoration. If you like 'whodunnits' I recommend this one, its has Ryan Phillipe. ;)
gosh really. i haven't seen it yet

Thief 10-18-21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2246508)
Yeah great cast and great directing by Altman. Ballot worthy "Whodunnit?". :yup:
https://media.giphy.com/media/jadaGpmBjXQPu/giphy.gif

John-Connor 10-18-21 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DUNE 2021 Denis Villeneuve

2h 35min | Action | Adventure | Drama | Sci-Fi
Writers: Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve, Eric Roth
Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Stellan Skarsgård, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Chang Chen, Dave Bautista

Contains familiar elements from A New Hope and The Fellowship of the Ring which is a good thing but takes away a bit from originality and creativity. The scientific advancements, the evolution of language/communication and worldbuilding are good. Overall a great sci-fi blockbuster that ticks all the boxes but is not as groundbreaking as it's predecessors.

+

xSookieStackhouse 10-19-21 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2246770)

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Stellan Skarsgård, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Chang Chen, Dave Bautista

Contains familiar elements from A New Hope and The Fellowship of the Ring which is a good thing but takes away a bit from originality and creativity. The scientific advancements, the evolution of language/communication and worldbuilding are good. Overall a great sci-fi blockbuster that ticks all the boxes but is not as groundbreaking as it's predecessors.

+
loved this movie

AgrippinaX 10-19-21 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2246770)

+
What is the evolution of language/communication you are referring to? I thought, unoriginal though that is, that the fact they could communicate with “common” Fremen just like that was a tad unrealistic.

Obviously, they’re not speaking “English” but whatever they are speaking, why would they all understand each other? The telepathy/all-knowingness trope that allows Jessica & Paul to speak all languages feels a tiny bit like a cop out. Then again, I could never get through the book and find myself much preferring this one to the Lynch version (damn!), so I guess I can’t talk.

Anyway, this one’ll take all 10 million rewatches.

John-Connor 10-19-21 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2246844)
What is the evolution of language/communication you are referring to? I thought, unoriginal though that is, that the fact they could communicate with “common” Fremen just like that was a tad unrealistic.

Obviously, they’re not speaking “English” but whatever they are speaking, why would they all understand each other? The telepathy/all-knowingness trope that allows Jessica & Paul to speak all languages feels a tiny bit like a cop out. Then again, I could never get through the book and find myself much preferring this one to the Lynch version (damn!), so I guess I can’t talk.
It's the year 10,191 who knows what the educational system is like irt communication. Also he's the son of a duke and heir to, so even more specialized education for him. His mother was quite obsessed with the ancient 'prophecy' and the Fremen are a big part of it so naturally she could speak a couple of sentences.

AgrippinaX 10-19-21 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2246847)
It's the year 10,191 who knows what the educational system is like irt communication. Also he's the son of a duke and heir to, so even more specialized education for him. His mother was quite obsessed with the ancient 'prophecy' and the Fremen are a big part of it so naturally she could speak a couple of sentences.
Yeah, sure, I don’t think it’s a shortcoming in any sense. But was just thinking of Arrival and Villeneuve’s view of language there appears far more complex. But yeah, you’re right. A couple of sentences isn’t the same as proficiency, though.

John-Connor 10-19-21 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2246848)
Yeah, sure, I don’t think it’s a shortcoming in any sense. But was just thinking of Arrival and Villeneuve’s view of language there appears far more complex. But yeah, you’re right. A couple of sentences isn’t the same as proficiency, though.
Maybe I'm the one who needs a rewatch already :p I only remember her speaking ancient Fremen in that one scene with the knife and the new housemaid.

gbgoodies 10-22-21 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2245742)
To give you a comparison, it's not as good as The Natural but better than Eight Men Out imo. TV movie so a bit smaller production scale but the directing, story and performances more than make up for that. I predict you'll like/love this one, enjoy!🙂

Thanks for the info. The Natural is one of my favorite baseball movies, so I'm not surprised that 61* would rank below it. I'm looking forward to watching it. :)

gbgoodies 10-22-21 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2245817)

+

I watched Gosford Park a few days ago, and it's a good movie, but I expected it to be better based on the reviews I'd read. :shrug:

John-Connor 10-25-21 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DOWNTOWN ’81 2000 Edo Bertoglio

1h 12min | Comedy | Drama | Musical
Writer: Glenn O'Brien
Cast: Jean-Michel Basquiat, Saul Williams, Anna Shroeder, Debbie Harry, Coati Mundi, Debi Mazar, George Quinones, Fab 5 Freddy, Arto Lindsay, Vincent Gallo

Raw Arthouse film released in the 2000's shot between 1980-1981. Follows a day in the life of painter, musician, philosopher aka as the '80's Picasso'; Jean Michel Basquiat. Arthouse rating: ★★★½

gbgoodies 10-26-21 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2245104)
61* 2001 Billy Crystal

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2245742)

I watched 61* today and it was great. I had heard about how people hated Maris and didn't want him to break the record, but that was heartbreaking to watch. He didn't deserve to be treated that way.

gbgoodies 10-26-21 02:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2246518)
STARDUST 2007 Matthew Vaughn

2h 7min | Adventure | Family | Fantasy | Romance
Writers: Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn, Neil Gaiman
Cast: Claire Danes, Charlie Cox, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro, Sienna Miller:love:, Ricky Gervais, Jason Flemyng, Mark Strong, Ian McKellen, Peter O'Toole, Rupert Everett, Kate Magowan, Henry Cavill

I watched Stardust yesterday, and I didn't read anything about it before watching it, so it was not what I was expecting. Overall, I loved the romance part of the movie, but the rest of the movie was very strange, but interesting and fun. I didn't like some of the things they did with the animals, but fortunately they didn't show much of it on screen, so I was able to get past it and enjoy the movie.

And Charlie Cox has a smile that just lights up the screen!

xSookieStackhouse 10-26-21 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2248426)
I watched Stardust yesterday, and I didn't read anything about it before watching it, so it was not what I was expecting. Overall, I loved the romance part of the movie, but the rest of the movie was very strange, but interesting and fun. I didn't like some of the things they did with the animals, but fortunately they didn't show much of it on screen, so I was able to get past it and enjoy the movie.

And Charlie Cox has a smile that just lights up the screen!

oh my ur right i love his smile :love:

deen224 10-26-21 05:57 AM

Terminator

https://bloody-disgusting.com/wp-con...9144519976.jpg

John-Connor 10-27-21 04:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
RAY 2004 Taylor Hackford

2h 32min | Biography | Drama | Music
Writers: Taylor Hackford, James L. White
Cast: Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington, Regina King, Harry Lennix, Clifton Powell, Bokeem Woodbine, Sharon Warren, C.J. Sanders, Curtis Armstrong, Richard Schiff, Larenz Tate

+

Hard Times (No One Knows Better Than I)

John-Connor 10-29-21 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH 2008 Rod Lurie

1h 48min | Crime | Drama
Writer: Rod Lurie
Cast: Kate Beckinsale, Matt Dillon, Alan Alda, Vera Farmiga, Angela Bassett, David Schwimmer

Starring; Vera Farmiga you need more reasons to watch?:D All jokes aside this film surprised me in a good way, underseen/underrated political thriller about the freedom of the press. Great performances by the entire cast with the exception of David Schwimmer.

-

xSookieStackhouse 10-31-21 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2234987)
The Blues Brothers 1980 John Landis

2h 13min | Action | Adventure | Comedy | Music
Cast: Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Carrie Fisher, John Candy, James Brown, John Lee Hooker, Steven Spielberg

The first and last time I saw The Blues Brothers I was around six or seven years old and it turns out my memory of it was totally inaccurate. Had such a blast watching this, can't believe I waited so long to watch this as an adult.
John Landis has the magic touch, amazing performances, phenomenal music and cameos by many musical legends. It's probably the best and coolest (never corny, overly expressive/happy) Musical I've seen and features the best chase scene in a musical ever. Besides that, it's a massive eighties cult classic that instantly brings up all my nostalgic feels for that era.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...os9o1_500.gifv

love the movie especially aretha frankin who sang think in the movie, gosh i miss her music D=

John-Connor 11-01-21 05:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HIGH FIDELITY 2000 Stephen Frears

1h 53min | Comedy | Drama | Music | Romance
Writers: Nick Hornby, D.V. DeVincentis, Steve Pink
Cast: John Cusack, Iben Hjejle Todd Louiso, Jack Black, Lisa Bonet, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Tim Robbins, Lili Taylor, Bruce Springsteen

-

John-Connor 11-08-21 04:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
TONY BENNETT: AN AMERICAN CLASSIC 2006 Rob Marshall

42m | Biography | Comedy | Music
Cast: Tony Bennett, Christina Aguilera, Billy Crystal, John Travolta, Stevie Wonder, Robert De Niro, k.d. lang, John Legend, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Chris Botti, Bruce Willis, Diana Krall, Elton John

+

THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU 2004 Wes Anderson

1h 59m | Action | Adventure | Comedy | Drama | Romance
Writers: Wes Anderson, Noah Baumbach
Cast: Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Cate Blanchett, Anjelica Huston, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Michael Gambon, Noah Taylor

Wes Anderson movies I've seen, ranked:
  1. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  2. Bottle Rocket
  3. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
  4. The Darjeeling Limited
  5. The Royal Tenenbaums

John-Connor 11-10-21 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
NO TIME TO DIE 2021 Cary Joji Fukunaga

2h 43m | Drama | Action | Adventure | Thriller
Writers: Neal Purvis, Robert Wade, Cary Joji Fukunaga
Cast: Daniel Craig, Léa Seydoux, Rami Malek, Ralph Fiennes, Ana de Armas, Christoph Waltz, Lashana Lynch, Naomie Harris, Jeffrey Wright

-

John-Connor 11-11-21 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS 2021 Destin Daniel Cretton

2h 12m | Action | Adventure | Fantasy
Writer: Destin Daniel Cretton
Cast: Simu Liu, Tony Leung, Chiu-wai, Awkwafina, Meng'er Zhang, Fala Chen, Michelle Yeoh, Yuen Wah, Ben Kingsley

https://c.tenor.com/ve1roOHLp4EAAAAM...y-the-wire.gif

xSookieStackhouse 11-14-21 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2252500)
SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS 2021 Destin Daniel Cretton

2h 12m | Action | Adventure | Fantasy
Writer: Destin Daniel Cretton
Cast: Simu Liu, Tony Leung, Chiu-wai, Awkwafina, Meng'er Zhang, Fala Chen, Michelle Yeoh, Yuen Wah, Ben Kingsley

https://c.tenor.com/ve1roOHLp4EAAAAM...y-the-wire.gif

loved this movie!!

John-Connor 11-14-21 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FINCH 2021 Miguel Sapochnik

1h 55m | Adventure | Drama | Sci-Fi
Writers: Craig Luck, Ivor Powell
Cast: Tom Hanks

John-Connor 11-14-21 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
NOBODY 2021 Ilya Naishuller

1h 32m | Action | Crime | Drama | Thriller
Writer: Derek Kolstad
Cast: Bob Odenkirk, Aleksey Serebryakov, Connie Nielsen, Christopher Lloyd, Michael Ironside

+

Let The Good Times Roll

John-Connor 11-15-21 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN 1971 Robert Wise

2h 11m | Mystery | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Writer: Michael Crichton
Cast: Arthur Hill, David Wayne, James Olson, Kate Reid, Paula Kelly, George Mitchell, Ramon Bieri, Peter Hobbs

-

xSookieStackhouse 11-15-21 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2253290)
FINCH 2021 Miguel Sapochnik

1h 55m | Adventure | Drama | Sci-Fi
Writers: Craig Luck, Ivor Powell
Cast: Tom Hanks

kinda reminds me of Short Circuit

John-Connor 11-16-21 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH 2021 Shaka King

2h 6m | Biography | Drama | History
Writer: Will Berson, Kenneth Lucas, Keith Lucas
Cast: Daniel Kaluuya, Lakeith Stanfield, Jesse Plemons, Dominique Fishback, Darrell Britt-Gibson, Martin Sheen

John-Connor 11-22-21 03:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LAST NIGHT IN SOHO 2021 Edgar Wright

1h 56m | Drama | Horror | Mystery | Thriller
Writers: Edgar Wright, Krysty Wilson-Cairns
Cast: Thomasin McKenzie, Anya Taylor-Joy, Matt Smith, Michael Ajao, Diana Rigg R.I.P., Terence Stamp, Rita Tushingham

https://c.tenor.com/KPFBtrHol9EAAAAd...ife-eloise.gif

https://64.media.tumblr.com/c847d596...4988b1f4e.gifv

+

John-Connor 11-30-21 04:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LA JETÉE 1962 Chris Marker

28m | Short | Drama | Romance | Sci-Fi
Writer: Chris Marker
Cast: Étienne Becker, Jean Négroni, Hélène Chatelain

John-Connor 12-01-21 06:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LAST AND FIRST MEN 2020 Jóhann Jóhannsson

1h 10m | Mystery | Art house Sci-Fi
Writers : Olaf Stapledon, Jóhann Jóhannsson, José Enrique Macián

"Listen patiently. We, who are the last men, earnestly desire to communicate with you."
Discussion worthy filmmaking. This is probably the furthest journey into time my imagination has taken me through ‘film’. A message from eons in the future, alerting humanity to its ultimate extinction. It’s more of an audiobook with epic black and white ancient stone still life cinematography. Pleasantly and soothingly narrated by Tilda Swinton. The concept of ‘the human hive mind’ being our most powerful means of survival is fascinating.

(art house rating: 83/100)

John-Connor 12-19-21 04:20 PM

GOMORRA: LA SERIE (Season 5)

John-Connor 12-20-21 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
DAYS OF THUNDER 1990 Tony Scott

1h 47m | Action | Drama | Sport
Writer: Robert Towne, Tom Cruise
Cast: Tom Cruise, Robert Duvall, Nicole Kidman, Randy Quaid, Cary Elwes

Maria McKee - Show Me Heaven

John-Connor 12-22-21 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
JUNGLE CRUISE 2021 Jaume Collet-Serra

2h 7m | Action | Adventure | Comedy | Fantasy
Writer: Michael Green, Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt, Edgar Ramírez, Jesse Plemons, Paul Giamatti

Of course it's no Aguirre The Wrath of God, just a fun family/kid movie, Emily Blunt's performance was great as always. Same goes for Jesse Plemons.

John-Connor 12-22-21 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
THE ANDERSON TAPES 1971 Sidney Lumet

1h 39m | Action | Crime | Thriller
Writers: Lawrence Sanders, Frank Pierson
Cast: Sean Connery, Dyan Cannon, Martin Balsam, Ralph Meeker, Alan King, Christopher Walken, Val Avery

+