Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Darth Stujitzu's Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=10720)

Darth Stujitzu 06-25-05 09:32 PM

The Brave; Johnny Depp's directorial debut.

The Brave

The Brave is Johnny Depp's 1997 directorial debut, starring Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando in a small cameo role.

The story follows Raphael(Depp) and his impoverished young family living in squalor in Morgantown, a sort of American Indian trailer park. Raphael is determined to get his family out of this life and provide a new home for them, the only problem is money and his lack of a job because of his criminal record.
Raphael meets McCarthy(Brando), the director of snuff movies, he offers Raphael $30.000 to be the star of his next movie. Raphael accepts, he is given $5000 up front and embarks on the last week of his life, this ultimately becomes a journey of discovery for Raphael, he rediscovers his love for his children and his wife. Realising that he is worth more to his family alive than dead he tries unsuccessfully to return the money.
This is a very powerfull debut by Depp, and although the subject matter is rather bleak, there are genuine moments of hope in this film.
This film will not be for everyone, but fans of Depp should check it out, as both his and Brando's performances are very strong. IMO Depp could easily slip behind the camera more, the film is a slow burn, but his direction is spot on, especially dealing with such a morose subject matter.

To summise, this is a very worthwhile directorial debut, although heart-breaking, Depp doesn't allow the film to go over sentimental and weepy.This is a very brave choice for his debut, but being a fan of his acting, it didn't surprise me that he made this choice, conventianal is never a word that could be attached to Depp's career to date. Not a feel good movie if you have plans for after viewing, but I highly recommend this movie. Difficult to ever be in the right mood for something like this, but if you can handle the subject material, there is very little violence, you will be rewarded with an outstanding piece of acting and directing.

Rating 4/5

Strummer521 06-29-05 11:39 PM

Sounds good Stu. Thanks for the review. :) Write more soon.

Strummer521 07-05-05 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by sadisticthrills
Anyone ever seen a snuff film, incidentally?
I have never heard of anyone who has seen one. Honestly I'm not sure real ones exist. Meanwhile if that is a topic in fiction that interests you, you can read about it in Bentley Little's short story
"The Show" from his book The Collection. He truly is a master of the macabre as Stephen King called him. At least he is with his short stories. I read one of his novels and it lacked the originality and style of his short stories but def. check those out.

SamsoniteDelilah 07-05-05 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
The Brave

The Brave is Johnny Depp's 1997 directorial debut, starring Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando in a small cameo role.

The story follows Raphael(Depp) and his impoverished young family living in squalor in Morgantown, a sort of American Indian trailer park. Raphael is determined to get his family out of this life and provide a new home for them, the only problem is money and his lack of a job because of his criminal record.
Raphael meets McCarthy(Brando), the director of snuff movies, he offers Raphael $30.000 to be the star of his next movie. Raphael accepts, he is given $5000 up front and embarks on the last week of his life, this ultimately becomes a journey of discovery for Raphael, he rediscovers his love for his children and his wife. Realising that he is worth more to his family alive than dead he tries unsuccessfully to return the money.
This is a very powerfull debut by Depp, and although the subject matter is rather bleak, there are genuine moments of hope in this film.
This film will not be for everyone, but fans of Depp should check it out, as both his and Brando's performances are very strong. IMO Depp could easily slip behind the camera more, the film is a slow burn, but his direction is spot on, especially dealing with such a morose subject matter.

To summise, this is a very worthwhile directorial debut, although heart-breaking, Depp doesn't allow the film to go over sentimental and weepy.This is a very brave choice for his debut, but being a fan of his acting, it didn't surprise me that he made this choice, conventianal is never a word that could be attached to Depp's career to date. Not a feel good movie if you have plans for after viewing, but I highly recommend this movie. Difficult to ever be in the right mood for something like this, but if you can handle the subject material, there is very little violence, you will be rewarded with an outstanding piece of acting and directing.
If you were to... say... rate this film: like... out of a possible 5 stars.... What might you rate it?

Darth Stujitzu 07-05-05 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
If you were to... say... rate this film: like... out of a possible 5 stars.... What might you rate it?

Sorry, I'll edit my review.
For me this is a 4/5 movie, but I really like Depp as an actor, maybe I'm slightly biased.

SamsoniteDelilah 07-05-05 08:22 PM

I don't know many people who aren't biased toward liking Johnny Depp.
He's an actor's actor, and good looking, and a cool guy by all accounts. A win-win-win.

Darth Stujitzu 07-05-05 08:30 PM

I don't know many people who aren't biased toward liking Johnny Depp.
He's an actor's actor, and good looking, and a cool guy by all accounts. A win-win-win.

Yeah, but I don't fancy him!!!
Well alright just a little! :randy:
Well, if you're gonna get kisses from Salma Hayek....
Cold shower time again...I'll end up like a prune if you keep this up C!!! :eek:

SamsoniteDelilah 07-05-05 08:34 PM

http://www.webdesignforums.net/image...chat/angel.gif I didn't do anything!

Darth Stujitzu 07-05-05 08:37 PM

Always with the pleading innocence......

Darth Stujitzu 07-09-05 03:33 PM

Darth Stujitzu's top 5 French Movies.

So, after my anti France/Chirac rant the other day, I thought I'd make amends by doing reviews on my fave French films, well 5 at least.

La Haine (Hate) 1995 cirected by Mathieu Kassovitz

The setting of this film is the projects on the outskirts of Paris, where during the early 90's against a backdrop of increasing racial tension the French police were seen to be heavyhanded in their treatment of certain teenagers living in the projects.

The film revolves around 3 friends who get by selling dope and getting involved in petty crime. When a teenager from the projects is almost beaten to death by local police, the other teenagers on the projects react by turning their project into a war zone against the over-bearing represive police force. During sporadic fighting in the project, a plain clothes cop looses his gun, a 44 Smith and Wesson.
Found by the 3 friends, they hatch a plan of revenge against the police , killing the policeman by his own gun as a way to express their rage at how they are being treated.

This is a gritty, hard hitting piece of french cinema, and acurately reflects the mood of disgruntled youths living in poverty in the notorious projects of Paris. The central performances by Vincent Cassell, Hubert Kounde and Said Taghmaoui are all excellent and very believeable.
This is a tragic modern day tale, it comes across almost like a documentary. Kassovitz's direction adds an almost claustrophobic feel to the movie
Rating 4.5/5

Rififi 1955 cirected by Jules Dassin.

Jules Dassin's classic heist movie is a real jem from the Golden days of French New Wave cinema.
Jules Dassin was a blacklisted American director who moved to Paris to film his daring and original heist movie. Rififi is the template from which most modern day heist movies are made.
The story revolves around 4 ex cons determined to hit the big time with one last heist. As usual, the best laid plans go wrong, with devastating effects for the 4 main protagonists.
Dassin's direction is flawless, and the cinematography is excellent as well. With strong performances from the cast, you are left with a taught, dark, brutal heist movie, that set the standard for all to follow.

Rating 4/5

Brotherhood of the Wolf 2001 directed by Christophe Gans

Set in the 18th century, Gans' film is not too disimilar to " Sleepy Hollow" , both deal with cases of strange murders with a somewhat supernatural feel to them.
Fronsac(Le Bihan) and his native american man-servant Mani(Dacascos) are sent by the king to investigate the killing of hundreds by a mysterious beast in the French countryside. They are met with hostility at every turn, especially by the one armed Morangias(Cassel). Through perserverance they eventually discover the secretative Brotherhood of the Wolf, who appear to be heavily involved in the killings, but all is not as it seems.
A fast paced action/adventure film, that pushes all the right buttons, indeed the production is as good as many Hollywood equivalents.

The ever watchable Cassell gives a strong performance as too does American Dacascos better known for his martial art films in the States. The cherry on top IMO is Monica Bellucci(Cassel's wife), I would watch her make toast, absolutely one of the world's most beautiful women!

Rating 4/5

Darth Stujitzu 07-09-05 03:56 PM

Amelie 2001 directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet

A truly mesmorising film by one of France's best directors. Amelie is a tale of fancy, told by the use of superb special effects and cinematography.
It's a modern day fairytale that involves Amelie using her charm and wit to help people become happier with their lives.
Its simplistic charm and almost childlike innocence is a breath of fresh air for all those bored of dull and uninvolving films, this is a real feel-good movie.

For those who haven't discovered Jean-Pierre Jeunet, I'd recommend Amelie as a good starting place, before trying Delicatessen and City of Lost Children.
His unique visual style can be an aquired taste, but ultimately he is one of the most inventive and creative directors to come out of France in along time.

Rating 4/5

La Femme Nikita 1990 directed by Luc Besson

The original film that spawned an American remake with Bridget Fonda, and the subsequent tv show.
Nikita is a convicted fellon, due to face the death sentance for her part on a fatal drug store robbery, she is given a second chance and becomes the highly trained and skilled government assassin.
Luc Besson's film set the platform for Nikita, Alias, Dark Angel and so many other series where the main lead character is a kick-ass femme fatale. Although not my favourite Besson film, it still stands as a good film some 15 years later, and Anne Parillaud is still the original and best. There is a real fallability in her performance that makes her transition all the more believeable, and in a way Besson was responsible for giving french cinema a much needed jolt.

Rating 3.5/5

My favourite Besson movie is The Big Blue from 1998, the visualy stunning film about 2 freedivers, their friendship and their desire to constantly push each other to the brink of death in the name of sport.

EmuGOD 07-10-05 05:16 AM

only seen 2 french movies and I loved both of them

Amelie and City of Lost Children both shown to be by my french teacher.

Tacitus 07-10-05 06:00 AM

Good choices DS, my list would include Nikita too. :)

Pyro Tramp 07-10-05 08:10 AM

Nice choices dude. Mine would be much the same, though i feel Amelie is somewhat over rated, perhaps another Jeunet film to take it's place. Also what about Bunel or Goddard, they both have some pretty darn good flicks between them.

Shady_Character 07-10-05 06:13 PM

I'd like to give a nod to 'L'homme du train' (released in the US as Man on the train). I really LOVED that one. I missed Jean Rochefort!

nebbit 07-10-05 11:49 PM

Thanks Darth, I have added the 3 I haven't seen, to my loooooong list of to watch. :D

IDigCereal 07-13-05 05:18 PM

Out of all the films on your list I've only seen Brotherhood of the Wolf (I need to see Amelie... why have I waited so long?), but the rest sound great. Have you seen The 400 Blows? That's easily my favorite French film. If not, check it out. I got it on a blind buy from quite a bit more than I usually pay, and it was well worth it.

Darth Stujitzu 07-14-05 09:07 PM

Darth Stujitzu's Asian movies review.

So, I'm slowly working my way up the threads and posts ladder of this great Forum, now be prepared to be amazed and filled with wonder at my Asian movies reviews!!!( you can substitute amazed and wonder for bored and disbelief if it tickles your fancy!)

Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance 2002 Directed by Chan Wook Park

This is perhaps the hardest movie to sum up as it has little sub genres everywhere, but ultimately its a tale of revenge.

The story revolves around a deaf/mute trying to find a kidney for his ill sister, his early good intentions are foiled when he is told that he isn't in the same blood group as his sister and therefore not a suitable donor. Desperate, Ryu turns to the black market for help, he does a deal that sees him loose his own kidney which will be traded for a suitable kidney for his sister. Upon awakening after the operation, he learns that he has been double crossed and is back at square one. His next plan involves kidnapping his wealthy boss' daughter for ransom, so that can then buy a suitable kidney.

I won't give anymore away, but what I will say straight from the start, is don't watch this film if you are in any way squeamish, as it spirals towards a graphic and grotesque final act. I can watch horror movies all night long, but the violence in this film is a lot more realistic and gorry, and personally I found it to be more disturbing and shocking than his follow up movie " Oldboy ".
A strange mish-mash of a film, sometimes bizzare, often shocking I don't feel compulsed to watch it again, and I'm not too sure who this film is aimed at, don't know if I could recommend this, I will be intrested to see other's feedback.

Rating 2/5

Darth Stujitzu 07-14-05 09:19 PM

Last Life in the Universe 2003 Directed by Prabda Yoon

Yoon's film starts off with the possible suicide of Kenji, a Japanese librarian living in Bangkok. Slowly we are drawn into Kenji's everyday life and his compulsive disorder, from the start we know he is a loner and fed up with life.
Kenji's brother turns up unannounced, and is subsequently executed in front of him by one of his fellow Yakuza, Kenji kills the assailant and runs off with a friendly girl called Noi to her home in the countryside. A romance slowly starts to develope between the polar opposites, Noi has just lost her sister in a hit and run which Kenji witnessed, the only obsticales in their way are the local police looking for Kenji and Noi's abusive boyfriend.

This is a real slow burn of a movie, and for me it dragged on far too long. I didn't find the characters involving enough, and my mind often wandered during many slow scenes where not much happens other than some stylish cinematography.
Not a great movie, and I was dissapointed as I had read many good reviews, and was actually recommended this by my local Blockbuster.

Rating a very slow 2/5

Golgot 07-14-05 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Not a great movie, and I was dissapointed as I had read many good reviews, and was actually recommended this by my local Blockbuster.
And you took that as a decent recommendation? ;) (altho i've gotta admit i was blown away to notice it on their shelves when i browsed recently). A mate of mine loved it, but he's a cynical yet '60s/'70s kind of soul. I'm definitely gonna check it out tho - i'll let you know what i think. (reckon this and 3-Iron sound like a treat - altho i've read disappointed reviews like yours of both too)