Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   22nd Hall of Fame (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=61399)

Miss Vicky 07-27-20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2112429)
Inglorious Basterds placed 10th in the 7th HOF. That's nuts.
Different group of people, different films.

Mistique, gbgoodies, Sane, Daniel M, Friendly Mushroom, Gatsby, Bluedeed, Zotis, seanc, Swan, pussy galore, and Guap all either don't really participate in HOFs anymore are aren't on the forum anymore. Cricket only participates sporadically.

rauldc14 07-27-20 09:18 PM

Re: 22nd Hall of Fame

Just thought it was interesting. Both the 7th and 22nd were stacked

Wyldesyde19 07-27-20 09:46 PM

Congrats Ahwell on the win!
Also, Neiba’s reign of terror ends! Mwahaha!!

neiba 07-27-20 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2112448)
Congrats Ahwell on the win!
Also, Neiba’s reign of terror ends! Mwahaha!!
Ahahaha! :p I'll be back, stronger than ever! MUAHAHA

Citizen Rules 07-27-20 10:24 PM

So nobody wants to host the 23rd? I'll do it then unless someone else wants to.

Miss Vicky 07-27-20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2112458)
So nobody wants to host the 23rd? I'll do it then unless someone else wants to.
I haven't done one in awhile. I'm game.

Citizen Rules 07-27-20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2112461)
Fine by me, I'm swapped with work and don't really have the time, but I'll join of course. I'll send you my nom now.

edarsenal 07-28-20 12:02 AM

Miss Vicky's hosting??

SWWEEEET

gbgoodies 07-28-20 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2112429)
Inglorious Basterds placed 10th in the 7th HOF. That's nuts.
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2112443)
Different group of people, different films.

Mistique, gbgoodies, Sane, Daniel M, Friendly Mushroom, Gatsby, Bluedeed, Zotis, seanc, Swan, pussy galore, and Guap all either don't really participate in HOFs anymore are aren't on the forum anymore. Cricket only participates sporadically.

And I hated Inglorious Basterds. I didn't look it up, but I'm sure that it was last on my list.

CosmicRunaway 07-28-20 03:58 AM

I missed the last half of the reveal because I couldn't stay up any longer, but I expected to miss the entire thing so being here for half is better than not seeing any of it haha.

I had my nomination Blue Ruin at #3. The Last Picture Show was my #9. It didn't connect with me, but out of the other films at the very bottom of my list, if I had to rewatch one I'd probably pick it.

I'm sad that I, Daniel Blake didn't do better. I was hoping for it to win, though I didn't personally rank it at the top of my ballot. I was close though, at #2. I quite liked Mildred Pierce, but there were just so many other films in this HoF that I also liked, that it ended up down at #7.

The Matrix was the film I had at #1. It's one of my all time favourites. Inglorious Basterds was part of that set of three I struggled to decide the order of the most. It ultimately fell behind Joker and Dronningen and landed at #6.

Here's my full list:

01. The Matrix (1999)
02. I, Daniel Blake (2016)
03. Blue Ruin (2013)
04. Joker (2019)
05. Dronningen (2019)
06. Inglorious Basterds (2009)
07. Mildred Pierce (1945)
08. Shine (1996)
09. The Last Picture Show (1971)
10. State of Siege (1972)
11. Waco: The Rules of Engagement (1997)

I really enjoyed this Hall of Fame. Thanks for hosting raul! And congrats on picking another winning film ahwell! :up:

neiba 07-28-20 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2112461)

Quick, let's all pick musicals!!!!!!

Citizen Rules 07-29-20 02:44 PM

Inglourious Basterds now hangs in the hallowed halls of MoFo's Hall of Fame

neiba 08-01-20 03:22 PM

Still regarding @edarsenal 's pick, Shine, today I read an interview with Maria Joćo Pires, a portuguese pianist who happens to be one of the greatest musicians alive, that I think is related to the film. Maybe it's not such a relatable reality for non-musicians, but I think it's important to realize how much David's father attitude towards music lead to the breakdown.

(roughly translated)

"Music competitions today are responsible for the future disappearance of music, for the destruction of everything, for making impossible the kids of today to ever be able to express the way we did and to become artists, musicians. Competitions give a perception that is totally false, artificial, wrong and that only brings illusions of things that do not exist. How can one be an artist if the goal is to win? But to win what? Celebrity? Music doesn't generate celebrity, music generates something that has to do with our deep nature, with our conscious, with an opening that connects us to the universe, that connects with a truth, that connects to something that is good. Celebrity has nothing good about it because it separates us from the group, it makes us different. For what?"

edarsenal 08-01-20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by neiba (Post 2113644)
Still regarding @edarsenal 's pick, Shine, today I read an interview with Maria Joćo Pires, a portuguese pianist who happens to be one of the greatest musicians alive, that I think is related to the film. Maybe it's not such a relatable reality for non-musicians, but I think it's important to realize how much David's father attitude towards music lead to the breakdown.

(roughly translated)

"Music competitions today are responsible for the future disappearance of music, for the destruction of everything, for making impossible the kids of today to ever be able to express the way we did and to become artists, musicians. Competitions give a perception that is totally false, artificial, wrong and that only brings illusions of things that do not exist. How can one be an artist if the goal is to win? But to win what? Celebrity? Music doesn't generate celebrity, music generates something that has to do with our deep nature, with our conscious, with an opening that connects us to the universe, that connects with a truth, that connects to something that is good. Celebrity has nothing good about it because it separates us from the group, it makes us different. For what?"
THAT is an excellent and very eloquent argument regarding competitions.
THANK YOU for sharing that!!