Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2021 Film Challenge (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62923)

Jabs 12-18-20 09:02 AM

2021 Film Challenge

Welcome once again to the annual Film Challenge! The 4th edition is here and brings new, old and returning challenges to test your film prowess and explore your cinematic horizons.

The overall number of films has largely remained the same, even if there have been major changes since last year's edition. On the main challenge, you will find J6: "watch a film suggested by another participant of this challenge", which will require a bit of cooperation. It's as simple as asking one of the other participants for a suggestion on something to watch that you haven't seen before. If you feel like the first response you get is not to your liking, feel free to pool various participants or ask for alternate picks from them. This is meant to increase interaction between us and help spread some love for films that are dear to us.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Important Notes:
  • The challenge officially starts on January 1st 2021, so start updating your lists with films you watch after that date.
  • How you count films is up to you. This is not a contest and it is up to each and every one to decide how they want to do this. I would suggest going for one film per category either in the main challenge or in nightmare mode, preferably films you watched for the first time this year, but that's just me.
  • In order for everyone to be able to effortlessly scroll down the page, I would suggest wrapping your updates in collapsible text, like in this post.
Have fun watching films this year!

pahaK 12-18-20 11:05 AM

Re: 2021 Film Challenge

My precious...awards
pick any one list from section G of the main challenge and watch 10 films in it
This should most likely say "section C".

Jabs 12-18-20 01:17 PM

Corrected. Good catch.

Wyldesyde19 12-18-20 01:32 PM

Love it! Most of the films I saved on Amazon in anticipation fit into this already.
Going to have to have to think on my suggestion later on.
As always, good job Jabs!

Iroquois 12-18-20 01:39 PM

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Iroquois 12-18-20 01:42 PM

Two other points...

1) Seeing as Dogme 95 was already used in an earlier challenge, I think it could do with being swapped out for something else.
2) When I saw that we were taking suggestions from other users, I thought it was a case where every participant would list a film and people would pick from those, but I guess sourcing suggestions until you get one that works would make more sense.

Wyldesyde19 12-18-20 01:44 PM

I’m going with Kaiju for my genre, which I know is really a sub genre but I don’t think people will be bothered by that.
My brother has a box set of Godzilla films that I am eyeing up.

Wyldesyde19 12-18-20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2154491)
Two other points...

1) Seeing as Dogme 95 was already used in an earlier challenge, I think it could do with being swapped out for something else.
2) When I saw that we were taking suggestions from other users, I thought it was a case where every participant would list a film and people would pick from those, but I guess sourcing suggestions until you get one that works would make more sense.
I’d like Dogme 95 to stay, considering it was among the movements I was hoping would have been included.

Siddon 12-18-20 04:21 PM

Saved for Later

[
Challenge  

Nightmare mode  

Tony Rome (1967)
The Werewolf (1956)
Homicide (1949)
Bodyguard (1948)
The Dark Past (1948)
The Long Night (1947)
Kind Lady (1935)

Jabs 12-18-20 06:10 PM

@Iroquois Dogme 95 makes a return as many other movements have done in the past. Unfortunately there aren't that many (semi)prominent movements out there with a large enough pool of accessible films to put only new ones out there every year. I do remember that my pick two years ago was Celebration which was one of the best films I watched that year, so it would be interesting to try digging a bit more into it.

As for the suggestions, my original thinking was the same as yours: have one person post a suggestion each. However to avoid potential deadlocks with someone having watched all suggestions already etc, it is better to have the option to not just ask for more films but even for recommendations based on personal taste. On my end, I can always offer suggestions upon request. If you want something more specific and not a generic 'good film' suggestion feel free to narrow it down for me and I will do my best.

Wyldesyde19 12-20-20 01:35 AM

Quick question with the following challenge:

D. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres list below]
1. [Horror: Slasher] [Science Fiction: Cyberpunk] [Crime: Courtroom Drama] [Thriller: Giallo]
2. [Horror: Monster] [Science Fiction: Alien Invasion] [Crime: Gangster] [Thriller: Spy]
3. [Horror: Paranormal] [Science Fiction: Dystopian] [Crime: Heist] [Thriller: Conspiracy]
4. [Horror: Gore] [Science Fiction: Time Travel] [Crime: Buddy Cop] [Thriller: Psychological]

I choose one genre and watch all four sub genres?
Or can I pick and choose from the four sub genres in each bone ?
Cyberpunk for #1
Gangster for #2
And so on.
My understanding is perhaps the former. But double checking

Takoma11 12-20-20 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2155090)
Quick question with the following challenge:

[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres list below]
1. [Horror: Slasher] [Science Fiction: Cyberpunk] [Crime: Courtroom Drama] [Thriller: Giallo]
2. [Horror: Monster] [Science Fiction: Alien Invasion] [Crime: Gangster] [Thriller: Spy]
3. [Horror: Paranormal] [Science Fiction: Dystopian] [Crime: Heist] [Thriller: Conspiracy]
4. [Horror: Gore] [Science Fiction: Time Travel] [Crime: Buddy Cop] [Thriller: Psychological]

I choose one genre and watch all four sub genres?
Or can I pick and choose from the four sub genres in each bone ?
Cyberpunk for #1
Gangster for #2
And so on.
My understanding is perhaps the former. But double checking
My interpretation was that you pick a genre and then watch a film from each of its subgenres. So you're either watching 4 horrors, 4 sci-fi, 4 crime, or 4 thrillers.

Wyldesyde19 12-20-20 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2155092)
My interpretation was that you pick a genre and then watch a film from each of its subgenres. So you're either watching 4 horrors, 4 sci-fi, 4 crime, or 4 thrillers.
That’s how I interpreted it as well, but figured I’d double check.
Thank you

Jabs 12-20-20 05:44 AM

Yes indeed. You must pick one genre only.

@Iroquois In My precious...awards you have to pick something from category C, not G. You can't pick 1001 Films to watch before you die. You must have copied it before It edited it.

Important Edit
In the main challenge, J5 has been changed to a 2021 release as was my original intention.

Jabs 12-20-20 05:53 AM

Setting down my own list for future updates:

Main Challenge: 30/52

Nightmare Mode: 56/110

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Leftovers  

Captain Terror 12-22-20 12:04 PM

I just took a look at the 2020 challenge and it appears that participants are not required to review every thing they watch, correct? If that's the case I think I can crush this challenge! :)
I tend to only write about films that I find remarkable in some way, good or bad, so I'm not likely to write a review for every middle-of-the-pack snoozer that I watch. (I seem to watch a lot of those, unfortunately)

Takoma11 12-22-20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2156083)
I just took a look at the 2020 challenge and it appears that participants are not required to review every thing they watch, correct? If that's the case I think I can crush this challenge! :)
I tend to only write about films that I find remarkable in some way, good or bad, so I'm not likely to write a review for every middle-of-the-pack snoozer that I watch. (I seem to watch a lot of those, unfortunately)
I reviewed most of them in the "Rate the Last Movie . .. " thread. I think it's nice to share some thoughts to give other people ideas if they are stuck on a certain category.

Wyldesyde19 12-22-20 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2156083)
Not a requirement, no. Welcome aboard!

Vanillapie 12-22-20 01:50 PM

Yep I’m 100% game for this I’ll be honest I’m pretty mainstream so it’ll be a bit of a stretch for me. So can we post the movies we watch after we watch them and write a little on each one and score? I thinks that’s what I’ll do.

Wyldesyde19 12-22-20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Vanillapie (Post 2156165)
Yep I’m 100% game for this I’ll be honest I’m pretty mainstream so it’ll be a bit of a stretch for me. So can we post the movies we watch after we watch them and write a little on each one and score? I thinks that’s what I’ll do.
You can, but that’s what the “rate your last movie” thread is for, so I would just post your reviews there but keep track of them here. It would avoid too much clutter here.
Welcome aboard!
Best thing about these challenges, as this is its 4th year here, and my second year participating, is the different genres and film movements that you can explore if you haven’t previously.
This leads to some truly unique films.
Great way to become a well rounded cinephile.

Captain Terror 12-22-20 02:04 PM

Does anyone ever "sweep the board" so to speak? I'm guessing Takoma generally has Nightmare Mode finished by April. She's the Bill Belichick of movie challenges. Without the cheating. And the sleveless sweatshirts, presumably.

Iroquois 12-22-20 02:08 PM

This year I finished both Main and Nightmare Modes by July. There were obviously extenuating circumstances, though.

Wyldesyde19 12-22-20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2156177)
Does anyone ever "sweep the board" so to speak? I'm guessing Takoma generally has Nightmare Mode finished by April. She's the Bill Belichick of movie challenges. Without the cheating. And the sleveless sweatshirts, presumably.
If by “sweeping the board” you mean 100% completion, most have yes. I know Siddon, Iro, and Jabs finish this yearly.
I will also be completing the 2020 challenge 100% this weekend.
I aim finish the 2021 challenge earlier.

Vanillapie 12-22-20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2156171)
You can, but that’s what the “rate your last movie” thread is for, so I would just post your reviews there but keep track of them here. It would avoid too much clutter here.
Welcome aboard!
Best thing about these challenges, as this is its 4th year here, and my second year participating, is the different genres and film movements that you can explore if you haven’t previously.
This leads to some truly unique films.
Great way to become a well rounded cinephile.
Okay that makes perfect sense that’s what I’ll do. Yeah the categories are interesting for sure and I reckon I’ll find a gem or two among them for sure. I’m getting into video reviewing right now so absolutely can only help round my knowledge out.

Jabs 12-22-20 05:00 PM

Always nice to see new faces take up the challenge.

@Vanillapie it hasn't been the practice so far to write reviews in this thread and it is mostly because of the volume of films we each watch during the year and because there are better places in the forum to do so. That shouldn't stop you from posting about films you watched for the challenge here. As long as it doesn't become too cluttered/monologuesque (a word I just made up) it should be fine.

Vanillapie 12-22-20 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2156295)
Always nice to see new faces take up the challenge.

@Vanillapie it hasn't been the practice so far to write reviews in this thread and it is mostly because of the volume of films we each watch during the year and because there are better places in the forum to do so. That shouldn't stop you from posting about films you watched for the challenge here. As long as it doesn't become too cluttered/monologuesque (a word I just made up) it should be fine.
Yeah I absolutely get that I’ll probs just message the movie I watched then go into more depth on “the last movie you watched” topic.

Takoma11 12-22-20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2156177)
I didn't land here until June, and didn't discover this thread until July, so I was a little behind.

But I'm close to finishing! (Nightmare mode & all).

Wyldesyde19 12-22-20 07:25 PM

Saving for future updates!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Wyldesyde19 12-22-20 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vanillapie (Post 2156306)
Yeah I absolutely get that I’ll probs just message the movie I watched then go into more depth on “the last movie you watched” topic.
Best thing about the yearly challenge is Jabs changes it up so it’s different genres and movements each time

edarsenal 12-22-20 10:16 PM

Wylde piqued my interest in this, so I'm gonna give it a shot.
Hey all!!
Gonna start adding a few to the watchlist for after the New Year.

Watchlist films
Viewed films
Passed On; 2022

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Wyldesyde19 12-22-20 10:31 PM

Welcome aboard!

Takoma11 12-22-20 10:34 PM

More people doing the challenge is also good for the "recommended by a peer" category.

Captain Terror 12-29-20 03:20 PM

<F. I see dead people:
[Watch one film from each group of deceased directors, actors & cinematographers]
1. Anthony Mann/Dennis Hopper/Elia Kazan/Stanley Kubrick
2. Robert Bresson/Akira Kurosawa/Fritz Lang/Pier Paolo Pasolini
3. Yul Brynner/Sean Connery/Bruce Lee/Ricardo Montalban
4. Hannelore Elsner/Janet Leigh/Katina Paxinou/Romy Schneider
5. Néstor Almendros/Jack Cardiff/Sven Nykvist/Gordon Willis>

So should I watch a Mann, Hopper, Kazan & Kubrick (4 total), or a Mann, Bresson, Brynner, Elsner & Almendros (5 total)?

Wyldesyde19 12-29-20 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2159172)
<F. I see dead people:
[Watch one film from each group of deceased directors, actors & cinematographers]
1. Anthony Mann/Dennis Hopper/Elia Kazan/Stanley Kubrick
2. Robert Bresson/Akira Kurosawa/Fritz Lang/Pier Paolo Pasolini
3. Yul Brynner/Sean Connery/Bruce Lee/Ricardo Montalban
4. Hannelore Elsner/Janet Leigh/Katina Paxinou/Romy Schneider
5. Néstor Almendros/Jack Cardiff/Sven Nykvist/Gordon Willis>

So should I watch a Mann, Hopper, Kazan & Kubrick (4 total), or a Mann, Bresson, Brynner, Elsner & Almendros (5 total)?
The latter. Choose One from each grouping.

Captain Terror 12-29-20 03:44 PM

10-4 thanks

Jabs 12-30-20 09:39 AM

For the past 2 years that the 10 films from the same actor category was included, I chose actors that would help me indirectly advance directors' filmographies. Namely Eastwood and Mifune (for Kurosawa). This year I thought I would venture into something truly unknown to myself with Anna Karina. There is a healthy mix of different films there with directors ranging from Godard to Varda and even Fassbinder and Visconti. Should be interesting.

Iroquois 12-30-20 10:04 AM

I have to admit that that was sort of my rationale for picking Mifune this year, though another factor is that I have a lot of unwatched movies in my collection and I think he might be in more of them than any other actor. Also makes for a real change-up after (relatively) less interesting picks like Nic Cage or Robert De Niro (especially when I'd already burned through most of their good movies already and was just settling for people who were prolific).

Jabs 12-30-20 10:17 AM

It is a legit reason, especially if you are like me and pay a lot more attention to completing a director's filmography than an actor's. This year I thought I would mix it up. I am thinking of picking a French director (Melville, Godard, Trouffaut or Varda) and France as my country of choice and thus dedicate a decent chunk of the challenge to learning more about French cinema.

Takoma11 12-30-20 12:00 PM

I haven't picked my actor yet, and I'm torn between two ideas.

One idea was to go with an actor with a really long career and try to watch 2 films from each decade. So someone like Van Sydow or Angela Landsbury.

My other thought was to grab one of those incredibly prolific character actors (like George Sanders) and try to watch 10 films from a really narrow window of time.

I'm also debating doing Varda again for my director, because Criterion has such a complete set of her films and it's so rare to get to watch all of someone's movies in chronological order.

Wyldesyde19 12-30-20 01:45 PM

I need to sometime do a much deeper delve into French, Japanese and Italian films from the more famous directors.
I’m still missing a lot of films from Fellini, Kurasaw, Ozu, Rossellini, Visconti, De Sica, Godard, and others.
The problem is accessibility. They’re rarely ever available on my normal streaming channels, unless I finally decide to purchase the criterion channel like I’ve always planned.
There is a movie rental down the road that has many of these though.
Maybe later. I still have a box set of Clint Eastwood film with about 19 (out of 35) of his films to watch yet so I can knock out many of his lesser known film from the 80’s (Foxfire, Tight Rope, City Heat) with him as my actor.

I chose Chahine as my director since I only became familiar with his films a few months ago. He’s got another 11 films to watch on Netflix with their retrospective they have going on.

I think next year I’ll switch it to foreign actor or actress for this, and choose another foreign director from any of the previously mentioned directors. I’m assuming that then, I’ll have bought the criterion channel.

Iroquois 12-30-20 02:30 PM

For now I'm going with Spike Lee as my director because I wanted to diversify my picks compared to previous years (in the past it's been white Europeans like Fassbinder or Visconti or Malle), though I have noticed that there are currently a lot of Eric Rohmer films on MUBI so he'd make a worthy alternative. Picking Taiwan for the country because that way I can fit in a few directors who have strong but comparatively small filmographies like Edward Yang or Hou Hsiao-Hsien. I've definitely considered Eastwood because he's prolific and comparatively accessible, but as with quite a few candidates there's definitely the feeling that I've exhausted a lot of his good-to-great pieces and will be stuck going various mediocrities.

Also, regarding the category involving taking other people's suggestions...when do we do that? I'm sort of thinking up a list of titles that people can pick from and will put it up once I think it's good, but it'd help to have an idea of how many to aim for.

Takoma11 12-30-20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2159613)
Also, regarding the category involving taking other people's suggestions...when do we do that? I'm sort of thinking up a list of titles that people can pick from and will put it up once I think it's good, but it'd help to have an idea of how many to aim for.
I figured that we could all each put up a list of 5 films. Or another way to do it could be that as we watch films, you put a * next to those that you would strongly recommend.

Iroquois 12-30-20 03:06 PM

Yeah, maybe we all post five picks and Jabs adds them to the OP. Write up little blurbs so people know what they're getting into.

Wyldesyde19 12-30-20 03:21 PM

Ed and I just messaged each other and picked a movie we both hadn’t seen for each other.
I chose The Spy Who Came in from the Cold for him (great film from Burton)
And he chose Ride the Pink Horse for me.
I started mapping out my categories based on what is available on Amazon, Netflix and Hulu and from my own I watched collection. Subject to change depending on what gets removed from those streaming channels, obviously.

I aim to finish the regular mode by April at least.

edarsenal 12-30-20 11:10 PM

Wylde messaging me was exactly how I got intrigued enough to join in on this. Cool bit of serendipity that. I'm heavily considering trying his recommendation for my first film of the coming year.

I'm going for France for my country as well. I've been enjoying a few older French films and this looks like an excellent chance to really broaden that. I'd be tempted to have Jean Gabin for my Actor, having discovered a few amazing films of his in the last two years or so. Though that would double up French films and this looks like an excellent opportunity to really expand my film viewing so I'll keep searching and simply add one or two of his into my French viewing.

ApexPredator 12-31-20 09:19 AM

Alright, I'll do this one.

Main Challenge  

Dunno if I'll get through the nightmare mode, but I'll try. Saving this for future updates.

Nightmare Challenge  

Captain Terror 01-01-21 11:16 PM

January 1 and I'm on the board!

ThatDarnMKS 01-01-21 11:50 PM

If one watches a movie that fits several categories, do you count it under all applicable areas or just plug it in for one?

Wyldesyde19 01-01-21 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2160902)
If one watches a movie that fits several categories, do you count it under all applicable areas or just plug it in for one?
A different film per category.

ThatDarnMKS 01-02-21 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2160903)
A different film per category.
Thanks!

Wyldesyde19 01-02-21 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2160906)
Thanks!
No problem! And welcome aboard!
Ps. Looking forward to seeing which films you choose for each category. That’s probably my favorite part

Captain Terror 01-02-21 12:52 AM

How do you determine the budget of a film without being an IMDB "Pro"?

Iroquois 01-02-21 01:00 AM

I usually end up working off Wikipedia.

While I'm here, would the Muppets count as a film franchise with more than 5 sequels/reboots/etc?

Captain Terror 01-02-21 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2160915)
Thanks, I tried that but they don't seem to include budgets for older films. Guess I'll save that entry for a more recent film.

Wyldesyde19 01-02-21 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2160915)

While I'm here, would the Muppets count as a film franchise with more than 5 sequels/reboots/etc?
Same. And yes

Wyldesyde19 01-02-21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2160918)
Thanks, I tried that but they don't seem to include budgets for older films. Guess I'll save that entry for a more recent film.
I have a book about the history of the sci fi and horror double bills from 1955-1974 that is filled with Films that were under 1 million dollar budget. I can help with that. Many of them are available on Amazon Prime, of you have it.
It’s the source I’m using with a quick check on wiki, and found The Wasp Woman (my choice) and there is also others such as Earth vs The Spider that you can watch

Iroquois 01-02-21 01:33 AM

Yeah, if it's just a matter of finding something under $1m then your best bet is to go sorting through anything that looks indie since those are the ones that are likely to have such small budgets. I settled on Hal Hartley's The Unbelievable Truth (which is 30-ish years old, so not sure if you consider that sufficiently old).

edarsenal 01-02-21 01:42 AM

Congrats @Captain Terror!
I'll have two to go; one for the Criterion List I already saw, but still, need to write up and Wylde's Recommendation which I'm starting in the next few minutes.

Captain Terror 01-02-21 01:56 AM

I've got one on my watchlist from 1913 so I think I'm just gonna assume that one cost less than a mil. :)

Siddon 01-03-21 09:13 AM

Yeah I don't know what I'm going to do with foreign films so I'm just going to keep a log right now and see how it turns out.

France - In the House (2012) - Kristin Scott Thomas
Indonesia - The Photograph (2007)
Italy - La Dolce Vita (1960)
Germany - Hannah Arendt (2012)
Germany - Vampyr (1932)
Germany - Woman in the Moon (1929)
South Korea - The Man From Nowhere (2010)
Spain - The Sea Inside (2004)
Spain - Live Flesh (1997)
Spain - All About My Mother (1999)
Spain - Broken Embraces (2009)
Sweden - Shame (1968)
Sweden - Aniari (2018)
Vietnam - Boat People (1982)

Jabs 01-03-21 10:58 AM

If anyone wants me to post some of their generic suggestions for J6 in the OP, just let me know.

Captain Terror 01-03-21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2161437)
If anyone wants me to post some of their generic suggestions for J6 in the OP, just let me know.
I've been scrolling through my four- and five-star movies on Letterboxd, looking for films to suggest, but in just about every case the average Letterboxd rating is.....significantly lower than mine. "Wait- other people didn't like that one?" is a question I've asked myself approximately 15 times in the past hour.
So I'll eventually send some but my advice is to not pick any of mine.🙂

Wyldesyde19 01-03-21 05:57 PM

Update on my status:
Off to a good start, took advantage of the gloomy weather and just watched a lot of movies.
Will add a few more tonight once I finish football.
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

kgaard 01-03-21 10:06 PM

Okay, I'm going to give this a shot. Realistically, I won't be doing nightmare mode, but I'll include it just in case.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Takoma11 01-03-21 10:55 PM

Here are some recommendations. I'm not sure what people have access to, so I'm going to group them by streaming service (you'll notice some repeats if things are available on more than one service).

Netflix
Klaus
Hunt for the Wilder People
About Time
Prospect
Good Time
Cloud Atlas

Hulu
Peanut Butter Falcon
Tangerine
Black Dynamite
Mud

Amazon Prime
Short Term 12
Lake Mungo
The 39 Steps
Orlando
Frailty

Criterion Channel
Watership Down
Phoenix
Kuroneko
The 39 Steps
Shock Corridor

Other
Predestination (Roku Channel)
Blood Simple (HBO)
Brain Damage (Shudder)
Shock Corridor (HBO, IndieFlix)

edarsenal 01-03-21 11:53 PM

Got my first two in the barrel:

J. Are we there yet?
[Watch one film for each of the miscellaneous challenges listed below]
6. a film suggested by another participant of this challenge [Wyldesyde19] The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965) **REVIEW**

The stuff that lists are made of
pick any one list from section G of the main challenge and watch 10 films in it
Criterion Collection
A Taste of Honey (1961) Spine #829 **REVIEW**

edarsenal 01-04-21 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2161720)
Here are some recommendations. I'm not sure what people have access to, so I'm going to group them by streaming service (you'll notice some repeats if things are available on more than one service).
A lot of great recommendations here!
I may use one or two for other listings.

Netflix
Klaus :) was very pleasantly surprised by this one when I watched it for the Holidays. Very good film. Great animation.
About Time
Prospect
Good Time
Cloud Atlas :)

Hulu
Peanut Butter Falcon
Tangerine
Black Dynamite
Mud

Amazon Prime
Short Term 12
Lake Mungo
The 39 Steps
Orlando :)
Frailty

Criterion Channel
Watership Down -there's a new version of this, I THINK, on Netflix, I may be using for Animated. Loved the original.
Phoenix
Kuroneko
The 39 Steps
Shock Corridor

Other
Predestination (Roku Channel) :) LOVE this film!!
Blood Simple (HBO) :) Not a favorite of Coens but a SOLID one
Brain Damage (Shudder)

Iroquois 01-04-21 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2161720)
Good list, Takoma. I think I'll take Watership Down for the time being.

I drafted a quick fifteen that people can pick from, can always add more if asked.

Bringing Out the Dead
The Color of Pomegranates
Dead Man
The Driver
Event Horizon
Hard Boiled
Hausu
It's Such A Beautiful Day
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
The Passenger
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky
Strange Days
Stroszek
Who Killed Captain Alex
Yi Yi

CaptainT 01-07-21 05:17 PM

I'll join in on the challenge! It seems like a fun way to discover new films.
I don't know if I will be able to finish the nightmare mode, but I will just see how far I can get.

So far I've seen 4 films this year that I can use for the main challenge and 5 that fit nicely into the nightmare mode.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Siddon 01-09-21 07:54 PM

Here are two recomendations for South America and Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuP8g_GQIgI

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbcxQRuOa4o

Wyldesyde19 01-09-21 07:59 PM

Yep. Been saving The Nightingale for this specifically haha. Been wanting to see it for a little while now

Wyldesyde19 01-11-21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2155145)
Leftovers  
Just in case you weren’t aware, Gordon Willis was the cinematographer for Zelig. So you could move it to that category and check it off.

Jabs 01-12-21 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2164821)
Just in case you weren’t aware, Gordon Willis was the cinematographer for Zelig. So you could move it to that category and check it off.

Thanks a bunch!

ApexPredator 01-13-21 11:48 PM

Watership Down on Netflix is 3 hours plus in a 4 episode miniseries form.

Will second Hunt for the Wilderpeople which I thought was good fun and Tangerine (although I had some third act issues, the journey taken was worthwhile). Lake Mungo is a solid thriller as is The 39 Steps.

I think Takoma knows exactly which film I'm picking for that category. Better late than never.

I'll work on some recommendations that will appear in this post in a day or two.

edarsenal 01-20-21 11:32 PM

Saw a few more and decided on a few of the Lists

C. I coulda been a contender:
[Watch a film that has won the following awards in any category]
3. BAFTA Marty (1955) Best Picture/Foreign Actor/Actress 1956 REVIEW

J. Are we there yet?
4. a film directed by a woman The Nightingale (2018) Directed by: Jennifer Kent REVIEW

"Nightmare Mode"
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times!
watch 10 films released in the same decade
1930s
Vampyr (1932) REVIEW

Chekhov, Method or Meisner?
watch 10 films featuring the same actor
Joan Fontaine

I have a vision...
watch 10 films from the same director
Fritz Lang

I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
watch 10 films from the same country
France
Le Doulos (1962) REVIEW

Wyldesyde19 01-21-21 02:01 AM

You’re in for a treat with Fritz Lang. Love his films.

edarsenal 01-21-21 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2168999)
I've always been a fan of Lang a large chunk of my life, and yet I've never really scraped the surface of his list of films. So I'm taking this opportunity to finally see ones I've been dying to and never seemed to.

Have Seen
The Big Heat (1953)
M (1931)
Metropolis (1927)
Scarlet Street (1945)
Spies (1928)

And this is what I've got lined up - so far, on my Nightmare Mode List:
Destiny (1921)
Human Desire (1954)
The Woman in the Window (1944)
Fury (1936)
Die Nibelungen: Siegfried (1924)
Dr. Mabuse the Gambler (1922)

And, thanks again, for getting me involved in this.
Much like the opportunities for seeing things I never would in the HoFs, this is an excellent personalized extension of delving into films/genres/etc. I've really needed to experience and yet, have not.
And thereby, I should also thank @Jabs for playing Host on this. VERY f@ckin cool!

Wyldesyde19 01-21-21 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2169333)
I've always been a fan of Lang a large chunk of my life, and yet I've never really scraped the surface of his list of films. So I'm taking this opportunity to finally see ones I've been dying to and never seemed to.

Have Seen
The Big Heat (1953)
M (1931)
Metropolis (1927)
Scarlet Street (1945)
Spies (1928)

And this is what I've got lined up - so far, on my Nightmare Mode List:
Destiny (1921)
Human Desire (1954)
The Woman in the Window (1944)
Fury (1936)
Die Nibelungen: Siegfried (1924)
Dr. Mabuse the Gambler (1922)

And, thanks again, for getting me involved in this.
Much like the opportunities for seeing things I never would in the HoFs, this is an excellent personalized extension of delving into films/genres/etc. I've really needed to experience and yet, have not.
And thereby, I should also thank @Jabs for playing Host on this. VERY f@ckin cool!
It’s the same with me. I’ve loved what I’ve seen of his, which is far too few. I plan on watching Scarlet street for his category in this.

matt72582 01-21-21 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2168999)

I think "M" is the greatest thriller ever. Just an overall great movie.

Wyldesyde19 01-21-21 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2169335)
M is great. I own the criterion edition 😎
Metropolis blew me away last year.

Jabs 01-21-21 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2169333)
You are most welcome. If you know of others that may enjoy this do share it with them.

On an unrelated topic, my progress so far has been quite satisfying, logging in a film per day. Last January I barely had 6-7 films in this.

Wyldesyde19 01-21-21 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2169348)
You are most welcome. If you know of others that may enjoy this do share it with them.

On an unrelated topic, my progress so far has been quite satisfying, logging in a film per day. Last January I barely had 6-7 films in this.
Same! Last year I scrambled to complete this come December. I am to finish this sooner, and have put a huge dent into the normal mode already. I’ll have an update in a week

ApexPredator 01-21-21 07:55 PM

Looking forward to seeing more love for Destiny.

Everything I've seen from Lang (Destiny, M, Metropolis, The Big Heat) has been very good or great.

Aiming to see Scarlet Street this year.

edarsenal 01-22-21 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by ApexPredator (Post 2169356)
Looking forward to seeing more love for Destiny.

Everything I've seen from Lang (Destiny, M, Metropolis, The Big Heat) has been very good or great.

Aiming to see Scarlet Street this year.
Destiny was the first to get on my list and Scarlet Street is really good. Though I am a bit bias since it's got my boy Edward G. Robinson in it.

edarsenal 01-22-21 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2169335)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2169337)
M is great. I own the criterion edition 😎
Metropolis blew me away last year.
I've seen it a number of times through out the years and each time I sit in awe.

Jabs 01-28-21 05:11 AM

One boring afternoon last year, I wanted to check if I was lagging behind on my challenge so I wrote this quick and easy program to do it for me. I am a bit too lazy to make it into an app but I thought I'd share it with the rest of you and see what you think.

It's as simple as entering the amount of films you have watched for the challenge and the program lets you know if you need to pick up the pace or not.

https://i.ibb.co/tB9C3XZ/Capture.png

Siddon 01-28-21 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2168976)
Saw a few more and decided on a few of the Lists

3. BAFTA Marty (1955) Best Picture/Foreign Actor/Actress 1956 REVIEW

J. Are we there yet?
4. a film directed by a woman The Nightingale (2018) Directed by: Jennifer Kent REVIEW

"Nightmare Mode"
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times!
watch 10 films released in the same decade
1930s
Vampyr (1932) REVIEW

Chekhov, Method or Meisner?
watch 10 films featuring the same actor
Joan Fontaine

I have a vision...
watch 10 films from the same director
Fritz Lang

I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
watch 10 films from the same country
France
Le Doulos (1962) REVIEW

You should have Nightingale under Oceana because you are doing the Hall of Fame and that can cover 1/3rd of the main hall

I know you said you were interested in trying it...just wanted to point out that when you finish the 24th Hall of Fame you are going to have 30% of it finished

4. New Hollywood (1968-1980) - Hard Times
1. Cannes Film Festival- Beasts of the Southern Wild
2. Academy Award - The Sea Inside
3. BAFTA - Day of the Jackal
4. Independent Spirit Awards - Antoine Fisher
1. North America - Rudderless
2. South America - Secret in their Eyes
3. Europe - The Whisperers
4. Asia - Man from Nowhere
1. Anthony Mann/Dennis Hopper/Elia Kazan/Stanley Kubrick - Barry Lyndon
5. Néstor Almendros/Jack Cardiff/Sven Nykvist/Gordon Willis
Shame
2. Sight & Sound's top 100 (any category) - La Dolce Vita
4. IMDb's top 250 (2020 finalized edition) - The Deer Hunter
5. Steven Jay Schneider's 1001 movies - Vampyr
2. World War II - In A Glass Cage
4. a film directed by a woman - Aniara

edarsenal 01-28-21 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2171954)
You should have Nightingale under Oceana because you are doing the Hall of Fame and that can cover 1/3rd of the main hall

I know you said you were interested in trying it...just wanted to point out that when you finish the 24th Hall of Fame you are going to have 30% of it finished

4. New Hollywood (1968-1980) - Hard Times
1. Cannes Film Festival- Beasts of the Southern Wild
2. Academy Award - The Sea Inside
3. BAFTA - Day of the Jackal
4. Independent Spirit Awards - Antoine Fisher
1. North America - Rudderless
2. South America - Secret in their Eyes
3. Europe - The Whisperers
4. Asia - Man from Nowhere
1. Anthony Mann/Dennis Hopper/Elia Kazan/Stanley Kubrick - Barry Lyndon
5. Néstor Almendros/Jack Cardiff/Sven Nykvist/Gordon Willis
Shame
2. Sight & Sound's top 100 (any category) - La Dolce Vita
4. IMDb's top 250 (2020 finalized edition) - The Deer Hunter
5. Steven Jay Schneider's 1001 movies - Vampyr
2. World War II - In A Glass Cage
4. a film directed by a woman - Aniara
Thanks Siddon! I will seriously be using a very large chunk of this.
I was originally going to put The Nightingale in Oceana (my dumb old @ss add to look that up, not realizing it was Australia and nearby islands to the north lol) and when I saw it was directed by a woman, it just felt ideal for that one. The serendipity of it, since Nightingale was recommended to me from the MoFo Film Roulette last week, this week's recommendation was a very nice fit for Oceana: Breaker Morant.

Wyldesyde19 01-28-21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2172247)
Thanks Siddon! I will seriously be using a very large chunk of this.
I was originally going to put The Nightingale in Oceana (my dumb old @ss add to look that up, not realizing it was Australia and nearby islands to the north lol) and when I saw it was directed by a woman, it just felt ideal for that one. The serendipity of it, since Nightingale was recommended to me from the MoFo Film Roulette last week, this week's recommendation was a very nice fit for Oceana: Breaker Morant.
You’d be surprised what films came out of Australia. I Chose it as my country for nightmare mode, there’s a decent amount of ozploitation and Australian New Wave films available on Amazon.

edarsenal 01-28-21 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2172266)
You’d be surprised what films came out of Australia. I Chose it as my country for nightmare mode, there’s a decent amount of ozploitation and Australian New Wave films available on Amazon.
I've seen a small amount of Australian films and would, at some point love to delve deeper.
I almost went that route as well if not for all the older French films I've been dying to watch and took the opportunity to do just that.

Wyldesyde19 01-28-21 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2172269)
I've seen a small amount of Australian films and would, at some point love to delve deeper.
I almost went that route as well if not for all the older French films I've been dying to watch and took the opportunity to do just that.
I feel ya. I need to do a deeper dive into France, Italy, Japan, Germany, China, Taiwan, Russia........

edarsenal 01-28-21 09:55 PM

. . . . annnnnd everywhere else lol

Wyldesyde19 01-30-21 05:31 AM

Update!
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Captain Terror 01-31-21 01:36 PM

I have completed section D. (Not really stretching my boundaries here, but it's a start)

1. [Horror: Slasher] - The Initiation (1984)
2. [Horror: Monster] - The Golem (1920)
3. [Horror: Paranormal] - Muse (2018)
4. [Horror: Gore] - Yummy (2019)

BooBooKittyFock 01-31-21 03:51 PM

A. Get lost in the movement:
[Watch one film belonging to each of the following cinematic movements]
1. French Impressionism The Fall of the House of Usher
2. Polish Film School Ashes and Diamonds
3. Dogme 95 Kamera
4. New Hollywood (1968-1980) Network
5. Mumblecore Daddy Longlegs

B. Times are a-changing
[Watch one film from each of these iconic decade-genre combinations]
1. 1930s Musical Top Hat
2. 1940s War film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
3. 1970s Apocalyptic film Stalker
4. 1980s Coming-of-age film Cinema Paradiso
5. 1990s Courtroom Drama JFK

1. Cannes Film Festival The Wind that Shakes the Barley
2. Academy Award The Apartment
3. BAFTA Bicycle Thieves
4. Independent Spirit Awards Y Tu Mama Tambien
5. Sundance Film Festival Blood Simple
6. Venice International Film Festival Roma
7. Locarno Film Festival Right Now, Wrong Then

1. [Science Fiction: Cyberpunk]**Tetsuo: The Iron Man
2. [Science Fiction: Alien Invasion] Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1978)
3. [Science Fiction: Dystopian] Brazil
4. [Science Fiction: Time Travel] About Time

E. It's a big world out there:
[Watch a film from the following regions]
1. North America Sunset Boulevard
2. South America The Secret in their Eyes
3. Europe Come and See
4. Asia Seven Samurai
5. Africa The Battle of Algiers
6. Oceania What We Do In the Shadows

F. I see dead people:
1. Anthony Mann/Dennis Hopper/Elia Kazan/Stanley Kubrick 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Robert Bresson/Akira Kurosawa/Fritz Lang/Pier Paolo Pasolini Ran
3. Yul Brynner/Sean Connery/Bruce Lee/Ricardo Montalban The Ten Commandments
4. Hannelore Elsner/Janet Leigh/Katina Paxinou/Romy Schneider Touch of Evil
5. Néstor Almendros/Jack Cardiff/Sven Nykvist/Gordon Willis Persona

G. I have always depended on the lists of strangers:
[Watch one film featured in each of the following prominent lists]
1. Roger Ebert's Great Films The Color Purple
2. Sight & Sound's top 100 (any category) 8 1/2
3. AFI's top 100 (any category) The Graduate
4. IMDb's top 250 (2020 finalized edition) It Happened One Night
5. Steven Jay Schneider's 1001 movies Stagecoach
6. Criterion Collection The Big Country

H. We've met before, haven't we?
[Watch a film that migrated to cinematic form from another medium]
1. a franchise with 5 or more sequels/remakes/reboots The Tale of Zatoichi
2. a novel adaptation The Maltese Falcon
3. a film adapted to or from a TV series Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Here Rabbit
4. a theatrical play adaptation Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

I. War, what is it good for?
[Watch one film centered around each of the war themes below]
1. World War I Paths of Glory
2. World War II Patton
3. Cold War North by Northwest
4. Vietnam War Platoon

J. Are we there yet?
1. a film more than 160 minutes long Gone With The Wind
2. a film with a budget lower than 1 million Aguirre, The Wrath of God
3. a silent film Metropolis
4. a film directed by a woman Monster
5. a 2021 release Judas and the Black Messiah
6. a film suggested by another participant of this challenge

BooBooKittyFock 01-31-21 03:52 PM

Idk if I can just do this, but I did that. If at all possible can I get a rec from someone

Jabs 01-31-21 04:06 PM

With January ending, I am going to do a small recap of the first month of the challenge.

Having watched 25 films related to the challenge and 32 overall, I have averaged more than a film a day and I am 12 films ahead of schedule.

Settling down on individual preferences:
- I have decided to go with India as my country of choice in order to finally watch most of those Bollywood films that creep up on IMDb's top 250 from time to time, since I eventually want to complete all of those yearly lists.
- For genre I am going with Western in order to expand my very limited knowledge on the once popular genre.
- Decade of choice will be the 1940s, since in the previous years I covered the 30s, 50s and 60s.
- I still haven't settled down on a director, with Woody Allen being a viable choice (I watched 4 of his films already this month), but I used him 5 years ago in my first ever challenge so for now I am holding off for something better. My partner and I started casually watching his filmography from scratch years ago and we are finally down to single digits so this year is my last chance to use him. There is still time to decide though and I am hoping I will do someone like Bergman, Trouffaut or Goddard instead.

As far as individual films are concerned, In Old Chicago was surprisingly decent for 1930s oscar bait and Ripley's Game was quality. On the other end, The Lighthouse was a film I had had high hopes for, but erred too much on the art house side for my taste, at least after a first viewing.

Jabs 01-31-21 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2173553)
Idk if I can just do this, but I did that. If at all possible can I get a rec from someone
Welcome aboard!

There are quite a few recommendations by other members in the previous pages. If none of them will do, I would suggest Costa-Gavras' Z, which is a French film about the rise of the Greek junta in the late 60s. A well made film that is very dear to me and with a story that is very accurate.

Takoma11 01-31-21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2173553)
There are quite a few recs on pages 3 and 4 from users in this challenge.

Congratulations on getting through the first part so quickly! Hopefully you saw some stuff you really liked. This time around I'm being more thoughtful in my selections and really trying to pick films that genuinely interest me.

EDIT: Here is a copy paste of my recommendations and where they are streaming.

Netflix
Klaus
About Time
Prospect
Good Time
Cloud Atlas

Hulu
Peanut Butter Falcon
Tangerine
Black Dynamite
Mud

Amazon Prime
Short Term 12
Lake Mungo
The 39 Steps
Orlando
Frailty

Criterion Channel
Watership Down
Phoenix
Kuroneko
The 39 Steps
Shock Corridor

Other
Predestination (Roku Channel)
Blood Simple (HBO)
Brain Damage (Shudder)

kgaard 01-31-21 04:10 PM

Quick question that I didn't see an answer to previously in the thread (so apologies if I missed it somewhere): Is there a place where one can find the "2020 finalized edition" of the IMDB Top 250?