Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Movie Forums 2009 Oscar Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=18592)

Yoda 02-02-09 12:53 PM

The Movie Forums 2009 Oscar Chat

Howdy MoFos.

Well, last year we tried something a little different, and setup a special chat room exclusively for the Oscar telecast. It went wonderfully; dozens of MoFos stopped by and collectively posted over 6,500 messages over roughly 6 hours (IE: ta message every 3.3 seconds). Here's a rough transcript; sans color formatting, unfortunately:

MoFo Oscar Chat Transcription

So, as you've probably guessed, we'll be doing the same thing again this year.

This year's telecast of the 81st Annual Academy Awards will take place on Sunday, February 22nd. The chat room will open in the afternoon, several hours before the telecast. And don't worry, it'll be hard to miss: we'll be posting the link site-wide as soon as it's up, and sending out a newsletter the day before.

The chat room will be about the same as last year, and the background music playlist will be filled with many of the same iconic film scores we had last time. Now's the time to make any last-minute music requests. As I recall, after last year's chat Holden asked for Laura, and MattJohn asked for Blade Runner.

Oh, I'll be setting up an informal Oscar pool (probably with Yahoo), as well, so we can alternately brag/hide in shame as the night goes on. I'll start a thread for that as we get closer to the event.

Hope to see a lot of you on the big day! :)

Holden Pike 02-02-09 12:56 PM

Re: The Movie Forums 2009 Oscar Chat

Huzzah.

Ðèstîñy 02-02-09 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 498271)
Now's the time to make any last-minute music requests. As I recall, after last year's chat Holden asked for Laura, and MattJohn asked for Blade Runner.
I asked for the theme to Chinatown. :yup:

Yoda 02-02-09 01:42 PM

Thanks for the reminder; I shall add that to the list as well. :)

mikeython1 02-02-09 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy (Post 498275)
I asked for the theme to Chinatown. :yup:
Yeah Chinatown sounds cool.

MovieMan8877445 02-02-09 08:27 PM

The Jurassic Park and Jaws theme.

Powdered Water 02-03-09 08:55 PM

Can't wait. Ah, but I have to. But I can't wait. Ah, but I have to. But I can't wait. Ah, but I have to. Crap.

MovieMaker5087 02-05-09 05:33 PM

I'll be there.

Swedish Chef 02-05-09 07:37 PM

Hmmm, I just realized one of my dearest friend's wedding is actually on Oscar Sunday. How did I miss that?

Anyway, I'll try to check in with you good people at some point during the night, but I'd say the chances of that happening are zip to none. So... shucks. At least I have no interest in the Oscars this year whatsoever.

Mrs. Darcy 02-05-09 09:19 PM

Prioritize, man. Most decent people get married on Saturday anyway. They'll understand if you can't make it. :)

Yoda 02-05-09 10:09 PM

What she said. You get married, what? Two, three times in your life? But the MoFo Oscar Chat is only once a year! Wait, that's not right. I know I was going somewhere with this.

Swedish Chef 02-05-09 10:15 PM

Is there really a set day most people get married on? I figured folks kinda did it whenever. I've actually never been to a wedding before. Or, at least, one that I can remember anyway. But now all of a suddenI have like four or five friends who are engaged and I'm gonna have to go to all these weddings. Actually, I only have like four or five real friends in total and I'm the only one who isn't getting married. Thanks for reminding me of that grim tidbit, Mrs Darcy and Yoda.

Powdered Water 02-05-09 10:16 PM

I have a question. Are underpants optional this year?

Yoda 02-05-09 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Swedish Chef (Post 499371)
Actually, I only have like four or five real friends in total and I'm the only one who isn't getting married. Thanks for reminding me of that grim tidbit, Mrs Darcy and Yoda.
Sorry. If it's any consolation, the odds that you will die alone are very slim.

Hmmm. Formatting's acting up. Anyway, I won't begrudge someone a good wedding. I went to one for a good friend of mine back in October, and had an unbelievable time. They can be a lot of fun. Yes, even more fun than watching Indian producers storm the stage at the Oscars again and again.

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 499372)
No, they're not optional.

They're prohibited.

Ðèstîñy 02-05-09 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 499372)
I hope so! :p

*edit*

Ha! I just noticed Yoda's answer.

Powdered Water 02-05-09 10:56 PM

Yoda is a Prince among men.

John McClane 02-05-09 11:14 PM

I wonder if that other song I sent you, Yoda, will be on the list. :D

If so...ssh, don't tell anyone. ;)

Swedish Chef 02-05-09 11:15 PM

Yoda is a Prince among men.
Nah, he's a jerkass

mark f 02-05-09 11:38 PM

People do get married whenever, but it depends on if you're getting a religious ceremony. Mainstream Christian pastors have to give sermons on Sunday, "wacko" Christians and Rabbis do it on Saturday, and Muslim Imams do it on Friday. If you're in tight with the person presiding over your "religious" wedding, you probably don't have to worry. If it's not a religious wedding, ditto. I was married in a Christian ceremony in the backyard of my wife's family in Bakersfield, CA. My wife's fave religioso had already moved to Nevada, but he agreed to come back to his hometown and marry us on a Sunday, so anything's possible. :cool:

Mrs. Darcy 02-05-09 11:42 PM

You'll have fun at the wedding, Cheffy. Are you going ALONE or plus one?